[DEV] [ROM] [N1] Evervolv Jellybean (4.1)

Search This thread

pwkpete

Dec 30, 2009
Pewaukee
hmm will flash again (will be 3) xD

Hmm

I have 2 'junk' test phones - I flash to the one that gets hot to determine if it is stable and then to the one with bad BT. I use the latter during the day and switch to my CM7 phone when I leave. The nightly made it to #2 :) It did crash while using the Play Store app, whereas p5 did not.

mycnam

May 4, 2009
It looks like p6 is out!

The performance setting is back, however the 614Mhz after incoming call bug is still there, I have to use No-frill CPU Control to lock it.

Also "Bad Piggies" and "Where's My Water" have no sound since release.

Trialz Nexus One

Jul 2, 2012
Since nightly if October 1st, Light Flow Led control no longer works. Any advice on regaining control of trackball led for notifications?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

texasice

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2009
Austin
HOWTO: external gapps

The 10/06 nightly has a new init script (20extgapps) (note: p6 has it but it might be broke)

Gist: instead of wasting nand space installing 50+MB of gapps to /system we will place them on /sd-ext and create symlinks to /system. This means you can reduce the /system partition to 210MB safely and still have full gapps. In principle, after the initial setup this will survive wipes and updates (assuming you dont format /sd-ext).

The main reasoning is reading from the sdcard should be just as fast (or faster especially with journaling disabled which is now done automatically by the init mount script) than from nand. But random writes to the sdcard are going to me much slower than nand. So if we are only reading from the sdcard and writing all our data to nand it should be much faster. Also im fairly (ok extremely) lazy and dont bother flashing gapps after flashing test builds. This is a zero config method to always have gapps.

Code:
#extract the gapps zip on you desktop
#create directory
$ adb shell mkdir -p /sd-ext/gapps/system
#push the system folder to device
$ adb push ~/Downloads/gapps/system /sd-ext/gapps/system
# make sure directories are right init script depends on this exact placement
$ adb shell ls /sd-ext/gapps/system
app        etc        framework  lib        usr
#enable extgapps
$ adb shell "echo x > /sd-ext/gapps/.extgapps"
#reboot and wipe device
$ adb reboot bootloader
$ fastboot -w
$ fastboot reboot
# symlinks will be created on boot
# look at beginning of logcat to ensure links were created
$ adb logcat -C
I/extgapps(  137): Removed Provision 
I/extgapps(  139): Removed QuickSearchBox 
I/extgapps(  145): Created /system/app/Talk.apk 
I/extgapps(  148): Created /system/app/ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk 
I/extgapps(  151): Created /system/app/GoogleBackupTransport.apk 
I/extgapps(  154): Created /system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk 
I/extgapps(  157): Created /system/app/OneTimeInitializer.apk

let me know how it works for you. i of course had a few problems while testing but hopefully you wont have any. I'm most curious about: stops working after reboot, and no-wipe upgrades. i tested flashing 4 times and all seems well so far. I also updated the market and google search (from market) without issue.

Last edited:

cbhawsar

Aug 7, 2011
I was trying the latest nightly 10-06. I was using utorrent wen it caused a crash and when the phone restarted all the apps were gone. Even the google apps were missing which was because they were mounted on ext. All the apps appeared as ghost entries in application manager. Now the m2sd script also does not install.

Is there any way to fix the links?

Also the old issue regarding the confilct between gps and mobile data is not gone. And i was not able to convert battery icon to stock through toolbox settings.

The overall rom felt much stable and snappier may be cz its using nand as well. Stock galary camera preview is still broke but the video recording is working fine.

My suggestion with a2sd would be to create an option that can help users fix the broken links, and also instead of interactive installation commands, force the linking of apps and dalvoc cache to ext. Many users keep complaining about low disk space as they choose not to move dalvic cache to ext.

mycnam

May 4, 2009
I was trying the latest nightly 10-06. I was using utorrent wen it caused a crash and when the phone restarted all the apps were gone. Even the google apps were missing which was because they were mounted on ext. All the apps appeared as ghost entries in application manager. Now the m2sd script also does not install.

Is there any way to fix the links?

Also the old issue regarding the confilct between gps and mobile data is not gone. And i was not able to convert battery icon to stock through toolbox settings.

The overall rom felt much stable and snappier may be cz its using nand as well. Stock galary camera preview is still broke but the video recording is working fine.

My suggestion with a2sd would be to create an option that can help users fix the broken links, and also instead of interactive installation commands, force the linking of apps and dalvoc cache to ext. Many users keep complaining about low disk space as they choose not to move dalvic cache to ext.

Your ext partition was not unmounted properly. Boot to recovery and run e2fsck then it will be okay.

D

Deleted member 2044343

Will we see a custom gapps zip that installs to the ext partition, instead of running the commands from fastboot to move the apks ?

+1

After a couple of hours trying to get it work the gapps at sd-ext still were not seen by the 20' init.d script :( :(

Please support

Last edited by a moderator:

ertoalb

Aug 26, 2010
CA
Pretty good

I have like 2 hours testing the rom, works pretty good for a ICS/JB rom, I'm having some play store problems, I think that can be fixed with an account removal and cache/data cleaning, but thats not a big thing.. the camera preview/camcorder its totally useless, theres any way that we can help in that, logcats, replicating the problem, some coding help (I know C/C++/Java but I dont have any idea on android rom building or linux drivers..)?

ForMartha

Jun 26, 2011
Hi,
I'm using the 5/10/12 nightly, it seems that it's the BEST rom that i ever used in terms of stability and speed (tho my usage is pretty limited - gmail, calender and little usage in whatsapp and facebook).

thanks for everything drewis! it is a perfect work.. waitng for butter to become much more smoother..

by the way, not that it's a big deal, but the trackball notification isn't working - hopefully it can be fixed..

thanks once again!

D

Deleted member 2044343

EXTGAPPS is working great

+1

After a couple of hours trying to get it work the gapps at sd-ext still were not seen by the 20' init.d script :( :(

Please support

Update: after a couple of hours ... now the new EXTGAPPS script is working absolutley great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this fantastic tool!!

:good::good::good::good::good:

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

The 10/06 nightly has a new init script (20extgapps) (note: p6 has it but it might be broke)

Gist: instead of wasting nand space installing 50+MB of gapps to /system we will place them on /sd-ext and create symlinks to /system. This means you can reduce the /system partition to 210MB safely and still have full gapps. In principle, after the initial setup this will survive wipes and updates (assuming you dont format /sd-ext).

The main reasoning is reading from the sdcard should be just as fast (or faster especially with journaling disabled which is now done automatically by the init mount script) than from nand. But random writes to the sdcard are going to me much slower than nand. So if we are only reading from the sdcard and writing all our data to nand it should be much faster. Also im fairly (ok extremely) lazy and dont bother flashing gapps after flashing test builds. This is a zero config method to always have gapps.

Code:
#extract the gapps zip on you desktop
#create directory
#push the system folder to device
# make sure directories are right init script depends on this exact placement
#enable extgapps
#reboot and wipe device
$ adb reboot bootloader
$ fastboot -w
$ fastboot reboot
$ adb logcat -C

let me know how it works for you. i of course had a few problems while testing but hopefully you wont have any. I'm most curious about: stops working after reboot, and no-wipe upgrades. i tested flashing 4 times and all seems well so far. I also updated the market and google search (from market) without issue.

now (;)) it's working great! :good:

Reactions: texasice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Jellybean 4.1
    ALL USERS SHOULD UPGRADE TO JELLYBEAN 4.2

Known Issues:
    • USB Tether
    • P2P: (not supported by hardware)

New BLACKROSE Hboot required for jellybean
    Downloads: MD5SUMS
    System: 260 Cache: 8 Userdata: 168 (recommended, future proof, fits any gapps)
    System: 250 Cache: 8 Userdata: 178 (should be safe)
    System: 230 Cache: 8 Userdata: 198 (possible but you need to use bextons gapps installer and dont install offline voice recognition)
    System: 210 Cache: 8 Userdata: 218 External gapps required (see 3rd post)
    Why does /system need to by so big? Well to put this in perspective the gnex and n7 have 600mb /system partitions. So their /system is larger than our entire nand (~430mb usable). The 'base' android build is <200mb. The real bulk comes from gapps which are like +40mb the bulk of that is the new voice recognition dictionaries for google now. So theres the gist. Now heres the problem. Dalvik-Cache will be no smaller that 100mb so we're pretty much left with 60mb for apps and data. Which is way too small. Which makes a2sd pretty much required. If youre like me and have <10 apps the builtin a2sd should work fine otherwise you will need m2sd (see QA below) or you wont be able to install /anything/ from the market due to 'low storage space' errors.

• To flash
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash hboot hboot_jellybean_260-8-168.nb0
      fastboot reboot-bootloader
    • Should see "Jellybaby" on second line
      Code:
      fastboot erase system
      fastboot erase boot
      fastboot erase userdata
      fastboot erase cache
    • Boot recovery. Flash your zip

QA:
    **I dont have enough space for all my apps? A: try m2sd
    **Where can I get info on the builtin a2sd? A: see here for quick run down.
    **What is blackrose? A: Please do NOT try and flash this until you find out. And do NOT ask in this tread
    **Why is my screen not working? A: Reformat your sdcard. Sounds stupid but its the answer

----------------------------------------------------------

For tarball: It is now xz compressed (depreciated new method below)
    Code:
    tar -xaf <release>.tar.xz
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    To flash with fastboot: use the zip appended with "-fastboot-update"
    Code:
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot update Evervolv-3.1.0-<release>-fastboot-update.zip
    DOWNLOADS

Downloads: http://dl.evervolv.com/

Nightlies
    For nightly changelogs reference gerrit. or the changelog.html in the dl directory for shortlog (blank means no changes were pulled)
    These are automated builds and might not work properly but the general rule: its probably fine.

Gapps:
    Usually the newest is best (http://goo.gl/LJiTC)

Releases
    thanks to bexton for the host for releases
    Note about *mini* builds: Strips out video editor, boot animation, international dictionaries, some fonts and ringtones to fit on smaller /system. needs ~230mb /system (wont fit on stock hboots)

Changelog

Evervolv-Perdo-3.1.0p1-passion (10/17)
    • Merge android 4.1.2
    • fix trackball notifications
    • transparent lockscreen
    • some kernel changes to ondemand governor for better meshing with userspace powerhal
    • Enable vsync

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p6-passion (10/05)
    • Bump JRO03R
    • Partialy working camcorder
    • Misc updates*

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p5-passion (9/19)
    • fix 3g network discovery
    • a2dp: bluetooth audio (via tyler hall)
    • more dictionaries
    • launcher rotation
    • new kernel
    • update openssh, busybox
    • no more legacy camera, using gallery version now (preview has some issues)
    • new default wallpaper
    • a2sd supports new jb folder app-asec
    • fix capacitive button backlight with autobrightness
    • webgl in stock browser
    • ctr-screen off animation

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p4-passion (8/10)
    • bump JRO03L
    • add more features: battery percent, powermenu screenshot, t-9 dialer, 6bar signal
    • update adreno libs
    • split long sms instead of convert to mms
    • experiments with power hal to extend battery life on standby
    • linaro bionic optimizations for a bit of speed
    • Camera should be able to take pictures

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p3-passion (7/31)
    • Kernel update: data usage shows up in settings, add avs, switch to caf ondemand gov
    • Update Superuser
    • Port jumpytouch filter from ics (thanks thoemy) for better pinch to zoom
    • bump to JRO03H
    • HWA now working (no butter)
    • EVToolbox is back (trackball/volume wake, vol music control, ics lockscreen)

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p2-passion (7/19)
    I'm pretty tired and dont feel like rebuilding just to bump the version. So here is a p2 'nightly'. That was really only built to test a cron script. but should work just fine.
    Fixes:
    • Wifi tether (used it all day today)
    • browser rendering
    • paid apps (untested)
    • googles apps on sd (untested)
    • Superuser

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p2-passion (7/16)
    • Wifi signal. (switched to bcmdhd) (maybe broke wifi tether)
    • Apps2sd (cant format the partition, i forgot to add e2fsprogs to the build)
    • Sound. (probably)
    • Reboot menu
    • Usb mass storage
    • Trackball (no wake yet)

Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p1-passion (7/14)

Cautions:
    -This is an alternative to flashing the gapps zip in recovery. Do not do this if you have flashed gapps through recovery
    -For m2sd users see here

Gist:
    Instead of wasting nand space installing 50+MB of gapps to /system we will place them on /sd-ext and create symlinks to /system. This means you can reduce the /system partition to 210MB safely and still have full gapps. In principle, after the initial setup this will survive wipes and updates (assuming you dont format /sd-ext).

The main reasoning is reading from the sdcard should be just as fast (or faster especially with journaling disabled which is now done automatically by the init mount script) than from nand. But random writes to the sdcard are going to me much slower than nand. So if we are only reading from the sdcard and writing all our data to nand it should be much faster.

getting the gapps in the right place

# via adb
    Code:
    # extract the gapps zip on you desktop
    # create directory on device
    # push the system folder to device
    # make sure directories are right init script depends on this exact placement (mainly check we dont have gapps/system/system/)
    # enable extgapps (quotes needed)
    # gapps dir should look like this (if .extgapps doesnt exist the init script wont run)
    $ adb shell ls -a /sd-ext/gapps/
    .extgapps  system
    # reboot and wipe device
    $ adb reboot bootloader
    $ fastboot -w
    $ fastboot reboot
    # via root explorer (these are fairly rough)
    Code:
    -click on the gapps zip on sdcard to open
    -long press the system folder -> extract -> 'go to extracted'
    -long press the system folder (the extracted one) -> copy
    -navigate to /sd-ext
    -menu -> new folder -> name it 'gapps'
    -open gapps -> paste (system folder)
    -menu -> new file -> name it '.extgapps' the dot is required
    # directories should now contain:
    # /sd-ext/gapps should have: .extgapps, system
    # /sd-ext/gapps/system should have: app, etc, framework, lib, usr
    -reboot recovery -> wipe data

once its setup

# on reboot
    Code:
    $ adb logcat -C

let me know how it works for you.
    You will now never need to flash gapps again.
    Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p3-passion
    • Kernel update: data usage shows up in settings, add avs, switch to caf ondemand gov
    • Update Superuser
    • Port jumpytouch filter from ics (thanks thoemy) for better pinch to zoom
    • bump to JRO03H
    • HWA now working (no butter)
    • EVToolbox is back (trackball/volume wake, vol music control, ics lockscreen)
    ZIP:http://goo.im/devs/evervolv/Releases/NexusOne/Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p3-passion.zip
    TARBALL:http://goo.im/devs/evervolv/Releases/NexusOne/Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p3-passion.tar.xz
    Because a couple of people have asked "how to flash the tarball"(!!!???) and because I can't sleep I thought I sum up some things and give you a little flashing for dummies instructions ;)

THIS INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR P1 ONLY!​

0.) PREPARE
    • MAKE A BACKUP

1.) INSTALL EVERVOLV JELLY BEAN PREVIEW
    • Download this file: Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p1-passion.tar.bz2 (Mirror) to your computer.
    • Extract the file with the archive manager of your choice to, let's say, C:\Users\You\Downloads\Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p1-passion (you will find two files in the dowloaded file: "system.img" and "boot.img").
    • Connect your phone via USB to your computer (make sure it is recognized correctly).
    • Open a terminal / command line on your computer and navigate to the directory that contains the adb and fastboot executables.
      So, if this is the full path: C:\android-sdk\platform-tools\fastboot.exe, you type: cd C:\android-sdk\platform-tools
    • Now, boot into bootloader mode. Therefor, type in the terminal: adb reboot bootloader
    • In bootloader mode, type in the terminal: fastboot -w and wait until it's finished.
    • Now type: fastboot flash system C:\Users\You\Downloads\Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p1-passion\system.img (of course you change that to the real path where you extracted the files to!). Wait a bit..
    • Now type: fastboot flash boot C:\Users\You\Downloads\Evervolv-Perdo-3.0.0p1-passion\boot.img (of course you change that to the real path where you extracted the files to!). Wait not that long..
    • Now type: fastboot reboot. Your phone will reboot now. Welcome to Jelly Bean!

2.) INSTALL EXTRAS
    • Download this file: Superuser-3.2-RC2-arm-signed.zip to your computer (contains Superuser.apk and su binary).
    • Download this file: ev-3.0.0p1-passion-addons-signed.zip (Mirror) to your computer (contains "Audio Fix", UMS app, QuickReboot app and Terminal emulator).
    • OPTIONAL: If you want Gapps, download this file: http://d-h.st/rOD to your computer (contains only: play store, google gallery, gmail, calendar).
    • Now, type again from terminal: adb reboot recovery to reboot into recovery mode.
    • Select Mount sdcard (or toggle usb mass storage) in your recovery menu.
    • Use the computer's file explorer to copy the downloaded zips to your phone's sdcard. When files are copied, unmount again and go back to the main menu of the recovery.
    • Now, select Install Zip from SD > Select Zip from SD and choose the Superuser-3.2-RC2-arm-signed.zip
    • When installation of Superuser has finished, select again Install Zip from SD > Select Zip from SD and choose the ev-3.0.0p1-passion-addons-signed.zip
    • When installation of ev-3.0.0p1-passion-addons-signed.zip has finished, you can A) reboot or - if you want Gapps - B) select again Install Zip from SD > Select Zip from SD and choose the gapps-ev-jb-20120713-min.zip - when that is done, you can reboot.

That's it. You now have Jelly Bean running with full connectivity, root access, (almost fully) fixed sound, UMS support and working Gapps.. Anything else that you need, you can now download it from the market.

Update: A few minutes after I wrote this, I got sound fully working - including system sounds. I'm too tired now to update this. Just make sure you check the attached post for the fix! ;) (obsolete; updated the ev-3.0.0p1-passion-addons-signed.zip to include the system sound fix)

Update 2: As paulo_cv reported, the search button does not work. To fix this, read on here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28859942#post28859942

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

And finally........ I "fixed" the system sound! :good: My phone rings!!! Hell yeah! And now also the stock music app, as well as the Play Music app, can play music! Was only a question of correct configuration. Download this xml file: http://d-h.st/oMB and push it to /system/etc ..then reboot and that's it. Sound is fully working now! :laugh: (obsolete; updated the ev-3.0.0p1-passion-addons-signed.zip to include the system sound fix)