[Q] Galaxy S4 very slow wifi problem...

Search This thread

Uhu911

Jun 12, 2007
I realized another thing.
Even on 802.11n networks, the max datarate is set to 65 Mbit. So even with max bandwidth you cannot expect the full n speed.
Maybe this is due to battery saving.

Could not test it with 802.11ac because of lacking an appropriate router.

3GJockey

Dec 30, 2007
I'm Not Blaming D-Link

I am having the same problem, D-Link DIR 655 vA4 Firmware 1.34NA.
Wifi works when I cycle power on Sammy, but only for a matter of seconds. Speedtest.net was never even able to finish a test.

I have tried ALL the solutions in this post. NONE of them works really at all for me, except one. The other solutions only work for a minute...that doesn't count, that's what the S4 was doing before.

I REFUSE to blame D-Link. I've run this router for over 4 years in a small office. I typically have servers, security cameras, numerous in house and staff tablets and phones (like 25) and about 12 of gigabit ethernet PCs. Over the years, the router seems to be able to serve them all, all brands, it passes terabytes of data, provides port forwarding, and offers wifi n. The only device that seems to have problems is the G4! Why on earth would we blame D-Link when the common denominator is Samsung. Other routers than D-Link are mentioned in this thread and have similar problems. Of course, it's ultimately a conflict between the G4 and some router chipset or software.

The solution that "worked" for me was ONLY setting max speed to 54Mbps (I did not turn off n, just limited the speed, nothing else). This is not a "fix", as dropping back to 2004 g technology speeds is a long effin way from OK.

We still need a real fix.

Reactions: CaporalStevy

florynn2003

Dec 20, 2008
Bucharest
Problem fixed!!!
Just need to change Cipher Type from "TKIP and AES" to "AES" only. It seems that the problem is TKIP Cipher type.
Of course, after changing this setting on the D-Link DIR 655, you have to change the connection settings in all of your WiFi devices (eg laptops, another smartphones that you use in your home)

Last edited:

jim1745

May 15, 2013
Problem fixed!!!
Just need to change Cipher Type from "TKIP and AES" to "AES" only. It seems that the problem is TKIP Cipher type.
Of course, after changing this setting on the D-Link DIR 655, you have to change the connection settings in all of your WiFi devices (eg laptops, another smartphones that you use in your home)

I can confirm that this method works as well. however, there is no need to change the connection settings in all of your WiFi devices. a simpler way is just to create a guest zone SSID account using the TKIP Cipher for your Sammy phone only. Thus leaving your main SSID with all other devices on the AES Cipher.
as a new user I'm not allowed to post links as of yet. there is a thread I created on the D-link DIR-655 forum which has the full details. also another link on the 'how to' for creating a guest zone SSID for those who are not to familiar with the router settings.
Hope this will help others,
Jim.

Last edited:
Reactions: cucukozma

cobrasixtysix

Mar 31, 2009
Queensland
Galaxy S4 WiFi constant disconnect reconnect

I seem to have the same problem as everyone else and it's driving me nuts.
My brand new Galaxay S4 i9505 4G keeps disconnecting from my Dlink DGL4500 wireless N router.
I had been able to connect flawlessly to it with my old Galaxy S i9000 for years.
It seems that the issue is with the phones WiFi settings or software as I don't have issues with other devices, or guests
using my WiFi connection. This WiFi fault is the single biggest problem with the phone to date, hope Samsung is working on it
or someone comes up with a fix.

vildand123

May 7, 2013
Having the same issue with D-link DIR-635

This is so annoying.

Having the same issue with D-link DIR-635 ... Have NEVER had a problem with any devices connecting to that router, had tons of pads, phones, laptops connected...even my Galaxy S2 without any problems ... but with the S4 my network stalls until i disconnect it.

I wrote samsung support to get a clearing, and their answer was :

>>
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics Nordic.
For GT-I9505 to work with WIFI requires that the router supports DLNA. If you find your router on this site dlnaDOTorg (cant post links yet), it should not be a problem . If it is not listed as compatible there is no guarantee that your router will work with your phone.
<<

My router is not listed on that site of course, but the problem is obviously with the AES protocol on the GS4.
Everything works fine when I set it to TKIP ... Although my network speed is significantly reduced...

This will be my last samsung phone if this is what I have to put up with. I refuse to buy a new router to fix their problem :mad:

cucukozma

Feb 28, 2011
Works for me

So... my working setup for guest SSID is below. I have a DIR-655 A4 version.
Right now I connect my S4 to guest SSID and I dont have to change any other settings and my old SSID is still on AES.

Advance tab/Guest zone:
- Enable Guest Zone: tick yes - Always
- Wireless Network Name: any other name than old SSID name
- Enable Routing Between Zones: tick yes if you need to get accesd to other devices conected to routet that are using the old SSID
- Security mode: WPA-Personal
- WPA mode: Auto
- Cipher Type: TKIP
- Group Key Update Interval: 3600
- Pre-Shared Key: I used the same password like for the old SSID

I also attached a picture with the config.

Thanks to jim1745 and florynn2003.

I can confirm that this method works as well. however, there is no need to change the connection settings in all of your WiFi devices. a simpler way is just to create a guest zone SSID account using the TKIP Cipher for your Sammy phone only. Thus leaving your main SSID with all other devices on the AES Cipher.
as a new user I'm not allowed to post links as of yet. there is a thread I created on the D-link DIR-655 forum which has the full details. also another link on the 'how to' for creating a guest zone SSID for those who are not to familiar with the router settings.
Jim.

Last edited:

jim1745

May 15, 2013
Right now I connect my S4 to guest SSID and I dont have to change any other settings and my old SSID is still on AES.

Advance tab/Guest zone:
- Enable Routing Between Zones: tick yes if you need to get accesd to other devices conected to routet that are using the old SSID

Glad it worked out for you :good:

Reactions: Ramrod421

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
I find it interesting that so many completely different workarounds have varying levels of success for different people. That to me speaks that the real issue is more likely a bug in the network stack. Maybe even a hardware issue. I think Samsung blaming D-Link is a cop-out.

Personally, I have tried every possible solution in this thread and nothing works. My S4 just refuses to connect to my DIR-655. So I guess I'm out of luck until (if?) a fix comes through. I can buy a new router for my home, sure, but what about every public D-Link access point that I might run into? I can't ask every restaurant to buy a new router. It's just not realistic.

This is my first Samsung device and I'm on the fence. Between this and the various intermittent bluetooth issues, I'm getting mighty frustrated.

CaporalStevy

May 18, 2013
Problem Solved

I am having the same problem, D-Link DIR 655 vA4 Firmware 1.34NA.
Wifi works when I cycle power on Sammy, but only for a matter of seconds. Speedtest.net was never even able to finish a test.

I have tried ALL the solutions in this post. NONE of them works really at all for me, except one. The other solutions only work for a minute...that doesn't count, that's what the S4 was doing before.

I REFUSE to blame D-Link. I've run this router for over 4 years in a small office. I typically have servers, security cameras, numerous in house and staff tablets and phones (like 25) and about 12 of gigabit ethernet PCs. Over the years, the router seems to be able to serve them all, all brands, it passes terabytes of data, provides port forwarding, and offers wifi n. The only device that seems to have problems is the G4! Why on earth would we blame D-Link when the common denominator is Samsung. Other routers than D-Link are mentioned in this thread and have similar problems. Of course, it's ultimately a conflict between the G4 and some router chipset or software.

The solution that "worked" for me was ONLY setting max speed to 54Mbps (I did not turn off n, just limited the speed, nothing else). This is not a "fix", as dropping back to 2004 g technology speeds is a long effin way from OK.

We still need a real fix.

Exact same symptoms and solution with a DIR 655 vA4 Firmware 1.36NA !

Thank you guys, this solve my problem ! :good::good::good:

NOW, I really hope SAMSUNG will find a way to solve this problem. I can't imagine while travelling and be the only one with no wi-fi, had to start to explain to hotel managers and cafe shop employes, they need update the firmware and play in router configuration... If i'm in China or country communication is not easy and connectivity is the life, my phone must be reliable !!!

ramhen

Apr 5, 2008
slow wifi

I have an old Motorola netopia 3000 dsl modem/router. The sg4 was very slow all other devices were fine. I tried a new modem/router to no avail. Changing keep wifi on during sleep to never under wifi advanced options fixed my issue.

Hope this helps.

tom1687

Feb 1, 2005
Zwaag
wifi battery saver

Hello,

The problem with manny routers en speed problems is becouse the option save battery for wifi connection
try this....

1 Launch Galaxy S4 phone dialer.
2 Dial *#0011#
3 A new window will pop up, touch the Menu button.
4 Tap WiFi.
5 The WiFi Power Save Mode is ON by default, turn it OFF.
6 Exit the menu.

bye tom

cucukozma

Feb 28, 2011
Not working for me.
I'm using the only solution that worked for me - guest zone with TKIP

Hello,

The problem with manny routers en speed problems is becouse the option save battery for wifi connection
try this....

2 Dial *#0011#
4 Tap WiFi.
6 Exit the menu.

bye tom

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

marcowang

Jan 1, 2011

Advance tab/Guest zone:

This is the best solution I ever tried.

Now my NOTE 2/Note 10.1/Note 8 can keep the original wifi speed(around 30Mbps),
and my S4 can conect to DIR655 stable too (around 20Mbps).

Reactions: cucukozma

NuShrike

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2007
ASUS RT-AC66U also

Having issues with ASUS RT-AC66U router.

I see S4 (SPH-M919) say it's connecting at > 250MBps at 5GHz, and then S4 no longer gets data downloaded. If I switch back to 2.4GHz 11.N and it stays < 180MBps, it resumes working again. If 11.AC stays below 200MBps, then it seems to stay working.

efipaul

Mar 11, 2008
Cincinnati
Having issues with ASUS RT-AC66U router.

I see S4 (SPH-M919) say it's connecting at > 250MBps at 5GHz, and then S4 no longer gets data downloaded. If I switch back to 2.4GHz 11.N and it stays < 180MBps, it resumes working again. If 11.AC stays below 200MBps, then it seems to stay working.

I have the exact same problem with the exact same router. I can't even begin to express how mad I am at Samsung with the junk wifi on this phone. I've never once had wifi problems until this device, and I'm really debating selling it and picking up a non-Samsung device.

NuShrike

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2007
I have the exact same problem with the exact same router. I can't even begin to express how mad I am at Samsung with the junk wifi on this phone. I've never once had wifi problems until this device, and I'm really debating selling it and picking up a non-Samsung device.
I've found so far if I disable WMM power saving on the router, then things are fine. Now I'm trying the reverse of WMM power saving on and S4 WiFi power saving off.

Reactions: efipaul

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Slow Wifi on galaxy s4 (Fixed)

I had the same problem on my s4 with slow wifi an I figured it out. I used
    The same fix that is meant to fix the galaxy s3 on wifi and it works perfectly

To do this simply type in the phone app
    *#0011# an a new option will pop up, then tap the menu
    option, you will now see a square at the bottom saying "On"
    Click it an turn it off, its your gs4 wifi power saving option once you click it you are turning off the power off the power saving mode
    now you should be flying fast on any wifi router
    wifi battery saver

Hello,

try this....

2 Dial *#0011#
    4 Tap WiFi.
    6 Exit the menu.

bye tom
    My fix

My FIX

Hey dudes and chicks,

I used to have this problem too with my s4. Connecting just a minute or two and after it would just lose connection. At first i thought it had to do with something from the hardware, but i figured that was not the problem since it did have a stable wifi connection at my uni.

So the problem for most of the people is within the router. Here's how i solved it for me. (I have a Sitecom Wireless Media Router 300N WL-350 with 2.4 and 5 ghz, so the steps might differ a bit if you have different router)
    -------------------------------------
    1. Login to your router

2. Go to the setting for wireless 2.4 (probably radio 1) (For Sitecom go to tab Basic> subtab Wireless 2.4 GHz)
    So what i changed here is the 802.11 mode. (there are several modes like: just 802.11b, just 802.11g, just 802.11n, mixed 802.11b and 802.11g, mixed 802.11g and 802.11n ........)
    >>> I Put It On: "mixed 802.11g and 802.11n"<<< (it used to be on mixed 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n)

3. Secondly i disabled Auto Channel Scan. This allowed me to select a Wireless Channel (frequency/channel).
    >>>I Chose the highest channel ("2.472 GHz - CH13")<<<

4. I used to have the Transmission Rate at the option "best (automatically)"
    >>>I changed this to the option: "54" (Mbit/s)<<<

5. I have channel width at the option: "auto 20/40 MHz" (but it always used to be this one)

Furthermore i have the following settings:
    > Security mode: "WPA - Personal"
    > WPA Mode: "WPA or WPA2"
    > Cipher Type: "TKIP and AES"
    ------------------------------------
    Now running stable for more than 6 hours (incl heavy use like youtube and movie streaming from samba server). I believe that step 2, 3 and 4 are the most important ones. If this does not work immediately, try to play a bit with step 3 and 4

Im not that technical but if you have questions feel free to ask.
    Help out your fellow Galaxy mate by letting them know whether this worked or not ;-p

Ill also post my fix at this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2254568&page=2

Greetings,

ps sorry if i made some grammer mistakes, not my native language
    Works for me

Advance tab/Guest zone:

Jim.
    Wanted to report back that I found a non-permanent solution to the problem/s I was having! It seems my issue was two-fold; both the phone itself and my DIR-655 router. I got it to talk nice with my router with these settings: Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g mode, CH 8, Best (automatic) transmission rate, Auto 20/40 MHz channel width, WPA-Personal, WPA2 Only, TKIP. The second and most important part of the equation was having to disable WiFi Power Save Mode on the phone via the *#0011# code. (This seems to be a big issue with the SIIIs as well) That part must be reset each time the phone is rebooted, however. There's no way to permanently disable the wifi power save mode that I've been able to find; at least not on the stock unrooted rom.