[APP] [Link] ViPER4Android: The best sound mod for Android [Root Required]

Search This thread

UNIKNEO

Oct 19, 2013
All credit for these apps goes to @viper520. Shoutout to @zhuhang for maintaining the thread here on xda and creating some NICE impulse response samples,

I've been using ViPER4Android (V4A) for all my recent devices including the Droid DNA, S3, and the S4. So, naturally, I needed to get it on my Note 3 ASAP. There's two apps as part of this sound mod, but one is optional. The main app is called ViPER4Android FX. The current version is 2.3.1.1 and is compatible with stock rooted VZN Note 3. I use the optional app, ViPER4Android XHiFi, for superior bass and treble adjustment.

The newer versions of V4A allow for both system and user installations, but I've always installed it as a system app to ensure that it works 100% of the time (including watching movies with MX Player, YouTube, streaming with Google Play Music, etc.) So, my N3 installation instructions are as follows (note: your device MUST be rooted):

1) Download the app(s) from the original xda thread. Extract the 4.x versions of the apks from the .zip files.

2) Push both apks to system\app. Reboot so permissions get automatically fixed or manually change to rw-r-r-. (First screenie using Root Explorer).

3) Launch each app separately. Grant root access to each of them to install their drivers. They'll both prompt you to install drivers on first launch. FX will automatically detect and install the proper driver, XHiFi is being phased out and you must manually choose the bottom option. Reboot so it fixes automatically fixes the permissions of the newly installed drivers.

4) After reboot, immediately go to settings\sound\music effects and choose ViPER4Android FX as the default sound processor (second screenie).

5) Open up /system/build.prop in text editor using any file explorer with root access. Change these lines (the bottom two apply to the VZN N3):

Code:
Ipa.decode=true to lpa.decode=false 
tunnel.decode=true to tunnel.decode=false
lpa.use-stagefright=true to lpa.use-stagefright=false

6) Plug your headphones and start your favorite music app. Start up FX and enable it at the top and then check the driver status. If everything says you're processing, you're good to go. Enjoy the BEST sound on Android.

This is my tried and true installation. You can see from screenies 3 and 4 that it's definitely work on my N3. I'm not sure if installing it as a user app (just clicking the FX apk) will work or not as I didn't even try it. YMMV.
I found 4 zip files on the link provided. Should I install each of the 4.X apk in the app folder?

Reactions: mnemoniq

UNIKNEO

Oct 19, 2013
Got it working fine. Major increase in my sound performance. My LG Bluetooth headphones sound amazing. Thanks for this app.

Reactions: docnok63

manatti

Mar 20, 2009
Only move the 4.x ones. It's matching up to our version of Android. Just delete the 2.3 ones. You won't ever need them. If you follow it step by step you will be good. The only thing different is the Viper xfi one I selected to turn off because I kept getting a notification icon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

yakitori2

Sep 13, 2010
I edited the build.prop no problems. On MI9 and on MJ7...and on Beans MJ7...and on HD MJ7.

Not sure how you are trying to do it, but the lines are already in there...just have to change 2 words from true to false. The top line in the quote above is not relavent to the Note 3

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Hey guys any news on the hangouts video chat crash bug when viper is installed?

I have viper installed and active and my hangouts video chat does not crash. not sure if its related to the viper app.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I removed Viper for android from my Note 3 because the mod was causing media blipping and occasional changes in volume and I heard "clicks" in the audio from time to time. Also I noted viper app using a lot of data in my data usage page....which I though was weird.

Anyway, I personally think the stock music FX and audio profile with adapt sound is supreme quality.

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
Will this work on mj7 build

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
Hey guys any news on the hangouts video chat crash bug when viper is installed?

Yes. It was causing hangouts video chat crash on HD and on my girls s4

I searched in the original thread and it looks like this issue was fixed in v2.3.1.3. Are you guys using this latest version? If so, did you install as system or data app? Did you do the build.prop edits? Did you try disabling V4A during the call and it went through? Did removing the app entirely resolve the issue?

Bricked mine too. not worth it. wouldn't recommend it to anybody

If you properly did the build.prop edits, there's no way turning off audio encoding bricked a phone. Please don't bad mouth the mod due to your syntax errors or incorrectly saving the file. Regardless, you should be able to restore a backup or simply push a correctly formatted build.prop via adb. If you use Root Explorer, it automatically makes a backup of a file when you use the text editor in it. You can also rename that file.

yakitori2

Sep 13, 2010
Yes. I was using the latest version. I never had an issue with video chat crashing on the note 3. I Uninstall ed mine because of the occasional click and stuff in my phone speaker. Usually happened when there was handoff between media and system sounds like streaming music and then using touch sounds. I Uninstalled on my phone for that reason. Not sure what version my girls s4 had. Though I think it was same as mine.

However for some reason j got the same video crash on HD rom that i didn't get on stock when using my note 3...yes...same viper app too.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I searched in the original thread and it looks like this issue was fixed in v2.3.1.3. Are you guys using this latest version? If so, did you install as system or data app? Did you do the build.prop edits? Did you try disabling V4A during the call and it went through? Did removing the app entirely resolve the issue?

If you properly did the build.prop edits, there's no way turning off audio encoding bricked a phone. Please don't bad mouth the mod due to your syntax errors or incorrectly saving the file. Regardless, you should be able to restore a backup or simply push a correctly formatted build.prop via adb. If you use Root Explorer, it automatically makes a backup of a file when you use the text editor in it. You can also rename that file.
dont give me that. i following instructions to a T. and please it was working it said in both apps and then started force closing both viper apps. And then phone turned off and froze on splash screen. This is the most complicated audio app(s) to run/install whatever. And i can root/recovery/kernels/theme etc and yet i cant run your app properly. get outta here dude. and yes still wont recommend to anybody

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I agree the Viper mod seems rather touchy at times.

It works fine for me in conjunction with a modified snd_soc_msm_Taiko_CDP file to step the max volume up a little more however.

thunderbread

May 30, 2011
Orlando
I still can't get this to work. I've followed OPs instructions and still no difference. Anybody know of any other apps or mods I can use to increase my volume with headphones. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

keynith

I agree the Viper mod seems rather touchy at times.

It works fine for me in conjunction with a modified snd_soc_msm_Taiko_CDP file to step the max volume up a little more however.

Go to the t mobile gnote 3 and look for the sound increase mod. I flashed it and it increased my volume a bunch

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition

snagg641

May 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I also can't get this to work. Installed app and driver just fine, made build.prop changes. Everything looks good but Processing says no. Modifying settings in the app make no difference to audio output, so i know it's not working.

cveez11

Apr 14, 2009
All credit for these apps goes to @viper520. Shoutout to @zhuhang for maintaining the thread here on xda and creating some NICE impulse response samples,

I've been using ViPER4Android (V4A) for all my recent devices including the Droid DNA, S3, and the S4. So, naturally, I needed to get it on my Note 3 ASAP. There's two apps as part of this sound mod, but one is optional. The main app is called ViPER4Android FX. The current version is 2.3.1.1 and is compatible with stock rooted VZN Note 3. I use the optional app, ViPER4Android XHiFi, for superior bass and treble adjustment.

The newer versions of V4A allow for both system and user installations, but I've always installed it as a system app to ensure that it works 100% of the time (including watching movies with MX Player, YouTube, streaming with Google Play Music, etc.) So, my N3 installation instructions are as follows (note: your device MUST be rooted):

1) Download the app(s) from the original xda thread. Extract the 4.x versions of the apks from the .zip files.

2) Push both apks to system\app. Reboot so permissions get automatically fixed or manually change to rw-r-r-. (First screenie using Root Explorer).

3) Launch each app separately. Grant root access to each of them to install their drivers. They'll both prompt you to install drivers on first launch. FX will automatically detect and install the proper driver, XHiFi is being phased out and you must manually choose the bottom option. Reboot so it fixes automatically fixes the permissions of the newly installed drivers.

4) After reboot, immediately go to settings\sound\music effects and choose ViPER4Android FX as the default sound processor (second screenie).

5) Open up /system/build.prop in text editor using any file explorer with root access. Change these lines (the bottom two apply to the VZN N3):

Code:

6) Plug your headphones and start your favorite music app. Start up FX and enable it at the top and then check the driver status. If everything says you're processing, you're good to go. Enjoy the BEST sound on Android.

This is my tried and true installation. You can see from screenies 3 and 4 that it's definitely work on my N3. I'm not sure if installing it as a user app (just clicking the FX apk) will work or not as I didn't even try it. YMMV.

when installing, what processor do i pick? not sure what the note 3 has.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3) Launch each app separately. Grant root access to each of them to install their drivers. They'll both prompt you to install drivers on first launch. Choose "Super Audio Quality" driver for FX. We have a quad core processor, so it can easily handle it. XHiFi is being phased out but still adds a richness I can't find in using FX alone. You must manually choose the bottom option. Reboot so it automatically fixes the permissions of the newly installed drivers.

4) After reboot, immediately go to settings\sound\music effects and choose ViPER4Android FX as the default sound processor (second screenie). NOTE: If you have a custom ROM, Music Effects may have been removed by your developer. Continue to the next step.

Code:

NOTE: On a custom ROM, your build.prop may have been edited and these lines might not appear. They will definitely not appear if you're not on a Samsung device. You can either add these line manually for Samsung custom ROMs to ensure proper audio settings or simply continue without any build.prop edits.

UPDATE: Tip for newer versions since this post was created:

Using the convolver is one of the most important things you can add to customize sound to your liking. You can access the convolver by going the UI Setting in the menu and selecting Moderate or Expert. The app will close and when you open it again, it will be under the equalizer. Once enabled, Download and extract IRS files to <storage>/ViPER4Android/Kernel/<paste files here>. If the directory doesn't exist, simply create it using a file manager. IRS's can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2216193
    V4a doesnt work on poweramp music player?

Yes it does. You just have to turn off Poweramp's DVC:

Poweramp Settings->Audio->Advanced: toggle Direct Volume Control to off
    Does this work for the regular speakers, like speakerphone, ringtones/notifications? My issue is that everything seems too quiet. Will this help me?

Thanks!

Yes, it affects sound coming out of the regular speaker including speakerphone, but does not boost ringtones or notifications. I think this thread will help with that. Which reminds me...

I've been messing with V4A for so long, I forgot to include the instructions for Samsung devices in this post in my original guide. Fixing now.
    I did do the build prop edits. I found it strange that some say that they have it working on stock player when it does not support it. Thought I was missing some thing. Either way, it works beautifully with all my 3 party players.

Sent from One Bad Ass Note 3

I never got it working on stock either. Works great with any of the 3rd party apps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I found 4 zip files on the link provided. Should I install each of the 4.X apk in the app folder?

Thank for all this steps, work perfectly in my Galaxy Note 3 root with Kingo and updated to MJ7 with Mobile Odin Pro :laugh:

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Code:

Thank for all this steps, work perfectly in my Galaxy Note 3 root with Kingo and updated to MJ7 with Mobile Odin Pro :laugh: