[Q] (Q) Can't change static IP settings

Search This thread

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
I got my Iconia yesterday and set it up. IT wouldn't connect to my wireless network via DHCP so I did what I do with every android device, I assigned it a static IP. Worked awesome!

This moring I downloaded the .13 OTA as I was prompted to, but after the install I can no longer connect to my wifi.

The killer part is that it will not let me connect or even modify the ip settings.

Here's the crazy part, I have rebooted it (even using Acer's clear userdata and cache trick) and the settings are still in there. They don't go away, I can't modify them and I can't connect.

Any ideas?

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
Here's an idea....

Can I root it and then modify the file that holds the Static IP information? I assume it would be in /etc/ somewhere.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
Strike that. I can't even install teh root APK because I have no file manager to naviagte to the APK file to root it. this sucks. I'm about 2 minutes away from returning this thing and getting an ASUS transformer.

fenixjn

Jul 21, 2009
Strike that. I can't even install teh root APK because I have no file manager to naviagte to the APK file to root it. this sucks. I'm about 2 minutes away from returning this thing and getting an ASUS transformer.

Gingerroot? It is an app that you install. The best way is to allow unknown sources download the app connect to the computer, save in to the internal storage (/sdcard) and then use a file manager like astride or file manager hd to install the apk

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
I was actually able to get wireless access through my mifi and download Astro so I installed the root apk and successfully rooted it. Unfortunately now I have no idea where to change those IP settings.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Have you tried to delete the wireless connection (Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi settings> Select Network and choose Forget network) and recreate it again?

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
Have you tried to delete the wireless connection (Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi settings> Select Network and choose Forget network) and recreate it again?

Yes, it retains the ip settings no matter what. I have tried 'forget' I have soft resetted, I have held down the left volume and hard resetted, I have even held own the right volume and done the switch thing to clear the user and data cache.

If anyone knows of any way to configure the IP other than in the stock menu I would appreciate it.

I can see the ip config, but I can not change it, nor save it, nor connect with it.

OffcerClancy

Jun 6, 2011
Have you tried the market app WiFi Static? I use it in my home LAN because I have several laptops and ip cans set up. It works great and is free.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Ok you need to go using root explorer or a file manager with root rights, to /data/misc/wifi and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file, and delete the fixed ip connection. I would recommend you to do a backup of the file before editing it.

Best Regards.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
Ok you need to go using root explorer or a file manager with root rights, to /data/misc/wifi and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file, and delete the fixed ip connection. I would recommend you to do a backup of the file before editing it.

Best Regards.

Okay, that got me part way there. I purchased Root Explorer went to the directory and edited out that wireless access point from the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Unfortunately the static IP settings are still coming up the same way - greyed out and unusable. As a matter of fact they were the same settings that have been there since I first put them in.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Okay, that got me part way there. I purchased Root Explorer went to the directory and edited out that wireless access point from the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Unfortunately the static IP settings are still coming up the same way - greyed out and unusable. As a matter of fact they were the same settings that have been there since I first put them in.

try then, to create a new connection for the fixed ip manually, use the Add Wi-FI network. I think you are seeing a ghost connection, like the ad-hoc connection of my phone, that appears but is not available.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
try then, to create a new connection for the fixed ip manually, use the Add Wi-FI network. I think you are seeing a ghost connection, like the ad-hoc connection of my phone, that appears but is not available.

Good thought, but the same settings keep coming up. I even tried renaming the router and then adding it but the same static IP settings came up.

I think my only solution is to find that file that stores the static IP settings and find out what is keeping it from connecting.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Good thought, but the same settings keep coming up. I even tried renaming the router and then adding it but the same static IP settings came up.

I think my only solution is to find that file that stores the static IP settings and find out what is keeping it from connecting.

ok, where I told you before wpa-supplicant.conf file was there is another file called something like ipconfig.txt , delete it and that's it. Must work , there are you fixed ip settings.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
ok, where I told you before wpa-supplicant.conf file was there is another file called something like ipconfig.txt , delete it and that's it. Must work , there are you fixed ip settings.

Yes there is. I have deleted it and reset the system (reset button) unfortunately all my settings are still there.

I'm torn between being really pissed off at Acer and being fascinated by solving the problem.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
I don't know, maybe I jsut need to suck it up and figure out why DHCP won't work on any of my android devices, but the static PI thing has been working fine until now.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Wow that's funny because I did created a static ip network at my job, do the steps I told you, and the settings were gone. I was able to recreate the connection with a different ip without problems. I would recommend use mybackup root free application from the marker and do a full backup of your applications, but NOT the systems settings, do a full factory reset and restore the applications with mybackup root, so, you won't loose your apps. Something is wrong with your systems data.

whiteston

Oct 16, 2008
Wow that's funny because I did created a static ip network at my job, do the steps I told you, and the settings were gone. I was able to recreate the connection with a different ip without problems. I would recommend use mybackup root free application from the marker and do a full backup of your applications, but NOT the systems settings, do a full factory reset and restore the applications with mybackup root, so, you won't loose your apps. Something is wrong with your systems data.

You are going to hate me for this, but I have done that a couple of times. It did erase everything (and I mean everything) except for those static IP settings.

But perhaps you have another rest that I have not tried. the two I have tried are:
1) hold down the left side volume rocker and hold down power.
2) hold down the right side rocker, hold down power and throw the screen lock switch

EDIT: I also tried a factory reset. No dice. Settings are still there.

Last edited:

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
You are going to hate me for this, but I have done that a couple of times. It did erase everything (and I mean everything) except for those static IP settings.

But perhaps you have another rest that I have not tried. the two I have tried are:
2) hold down the right side rocker, hold down power and throw the screen lock switch

I'm talking about under Settings Privacy>Factory data reset. It erases all you data including the system settings. That's why you need a backup tool to restore your data.
So the steps are:
Install MyBackup Root from market.
Do a full application + application settings backup.The backup will be on you internal SD.
Copy everything in your internal SD to a computer.
Do the factory reset.
Do the setup again and download from market again mybackup root, after rooting you tablet.
Copy from the PC all you internal SD data to your tablet.
Restore your backup.

I will recommend before restoring your data to set the wi-fi connection and test it various times.

NB the reset you have done are only cache cleaning, all your applications and settings are kept. This one erases everything.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas

EDIT: I also tried a factory reset. No dice. Settings are still there.

Well is impossible that the tablet keeps the settings after a factory reset. It must delete every thing included you installed applications and revert the unit like a new one from the store, asking you to do the initial setup as if new. If this didn't happened to you, them the only explanation is that the eprom chip is damaged (the internal sd memory) and you must return the unit.