4.4.3 Coming Soon for 2013 Droids!

Search This thread

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Verizon owns the rights to use the DROID name. Unless you spend the big bucks for the developer edition you are buying your phone at a subsidized price and you are going to be stuck with an "officially locked" bootloader.

Or you're in my shoes. You paid the big bucks for the locked bootloader version because the Dev version wasn't announced yet and I am not giving up my unlimited plan. Then you learn that people who came later and paid the same as you did get versions that can get their bootloaders unlocked, and you just ****ed yourself.

Thanks to the Chinese bootloader unlock code, I ended up winning in the end. However, I was just lucky that there was someone able to help me for $46, and I got in before the offer went away.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
Or you're in my shoes. You paid the big bucks for the locked bootloader version because the Dev version wasn't announced yet and I am not giving up my unlimited plan. Then you learn that people who came later and paid the same as you did get versions that can get their bootloaders unlocked, and you just ****ed yourself.

Thanks to the Chinese bootloader unlock code, I ended up winning in the end. However, I was just lucky that there was someone able to help me for $46, and I got in before the offer went away.

Such are the issues with being an early adopter. Same applies to any technology - those who buy first pay the most for the shiny new device - but the longer its on the market the cheaper it gets. Saying "those who came later" got a better deal is almost universally true of any piece of technology.

PS: I should really say, those who time their purchase well get the best deal. When I got my Maxx last January, It was $200 on contract but I got a $100 gift card for trading in my previous Moto phone. I used the gift card to immediately turn around and get my Wife's Droid Mini for Free (It was $99 on contract and I applied my gift card). She then also got a $100 gift card which got us cases and the other accessories we wanted. So, a Droid Maxx, a Droid Mini and all our accessories combined for $200 total. Not too bad. Today you could get a Maxx for $99 and a Mini for $29 but its the newer Maxx with 16 rather than 32 GB - so I would say I timed my purchase well.

Last edited:

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Such are the issues with being an early adopter. Same applies to any technology - those who buy first pay the most for the shiny new device - but the longer its on the market the cheaper it gets. Saying "those who came later" got a better deal is almost universally true of any piece of technology.

I think you slightly misunderstood me. I was not complaining about the price discounts that came later, those are a given. That's just how technology works.

I was complaining about the fact that the Dev Edition came later for the exact same price as I paid for my retail phone. People point to the Dev Edition and say that it's okay for it to be unlocked because they paid so much. I paid the same and then an additional $46 to a Chinese merchant to get the same ability. Had the Dev Edition been announced, I would have waited and bought it instead. I was running away from the Droid Charge POS. :)

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
I think you slightly misunderstood me. I was not complaining about the price discounts that came later, those are a given. That's just how technology works.

I was complaining about the fact that the Dev Edition came later for the exact same price as I paid for my retail phone. People point to the Dev Edition and say that it's okay for it to be unlocked because they paid so much. I paid the same and then an additional $46 to a Chinese merchant to get the same ability. Had the Dev Edition been announced, I would have waited and bought it instead. I was running away from the Droid Charge POS. :)

I got what you meant and I agree I got my maxx for 300 subsidized using my wife's upgrade to keep unlimited. If I knew there was going to be a Dev edition I would have sold the maxx new and bought the Dev phone. I understand what he was saying about waiting and getting a better deal but that wasn't the issue. If they planned on releasing a Dev edition that should have been announced so we could have made a decision before purchase. I to used the Chinese guy and unlocked for 40 bucks. Best money I ever spent concerning a phone.

svzurich

Dec 20, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I paid the initial $700, and then 2 weeks later they (Verizon) dropped the price to $650, so I called them to get the $50 difference credited back as it was only 2 weeks since I had purchased. I now send Verizon's emails to Spam as they keep trying to get me to "upgrade" and give up my unlimited plan. :D

At $600-$650, I'd have happily paid for the Dev Edition had it been offered at the time.

SnoDrtRider

Jun 19, 2010
I got my Droid just before Christmas... I got a text from VZW offering a free upgrade and when I called I was told the Droid Maxx was not available on the free update program. I told the CSR that I would just wait for my contract to expire and I would be changing carriers after more than 10 years with Verizon. We started discussing my bill and I told them that if they found a way to knock 50 dollars off my monthly bill (250 at the time) I would buy the phone (299.00) and stay with VZW. I got what I wanted.
A few weeks later the subsidized price dropped to 199.00 and I called and complained. Verizon issued me a 100.00 credit toward accessories.

NEVER PAY RETAIL FOR ANYTHING!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you guys probably know, Moto X,G & E got android 4.4.3 a few hours after its release.

So today a few minutes ago David Schuster posted this in the comments:
    David Schuster said:
    I see a lot of comments on a couple different threads asking about the 2013 DROID plans. Now that KitKat 4.4.3 is publicly available I am able to give more information about our plans. As I have stated previously, we ran into some issues with requirement churn on getting KitKat 4.4.2 out as quickly as we wanted too. Once that got resolved last month we had a decision to make with respect to rolling out KitKat 4.4.2 vs. waiting for KitKat 4.4.3, which we knew, was coming out shortly. We were concerned that if we used KitKat 4.4.2 it could be months before we were given the opportunity to get you KitKat 4.4.3. Consequently, we made the decision to wait for KitKat 4.4.3 as the base for our next update to the 2013 DROID family. We are working to get this update to you shortly, as it gets closer I will let you guys know. Thanks for your patience.
    https://plus.google.com/102838570385793445288/posts/EiWDVJ2LE17
    So the 2013 Droids Lineup are getting 4.4.3

thats good news, thanks motorola for not forgetting about us!

What do you guys think? i honestly dont care if it takes a month or two, just the news that we are getting something its good to my concern.
    Just to add to this. I'll be doing a full port over from the T-Mobile 4.4.3 update as soon as the appropriate files become available. Would be easier to do the VZW 4.4.3, but until then T-Mo it is.