[Q] asus unlock tool error TF700

Search This thread

b4316207

Sep 8, 2008
hello having issue with asus unlock tool
either by using abt tool or direct from asus , unlock tool installed on pad, when I go and run it get message that says "unknown error occurred , which may be a network error please try later"
running jelly bean 4.2.1 build 10.6.1.14.8
also noticed in my setting i have no tab for developers option I was able to activate the usb dubbing but in different way
can any one advise

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
either by using abt tool or direct from asus , unlock tool installed on pad, when I go and run it get message that says "unknown error occurred , which may be a network error please try later"
also noticed in my setting i have no tab for developers option I was able to activate the usb dubbing but in different way
can any one advise

I read a few stories about this issue because somehow the devices' serials do not match the ASUS's server in order to register your device. I was lucky on the first try with the unlock tool. To answer your second question, 1. go to your setting, 2. click on the About Tablet and find the Build Number. 3. Just click on the Build Number about 7 or 8 times to enable the Developer Option. Good luck

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
can any one advise

You cannot unlock through ADB. You have to use the Asus Unlock Tool.
Keep trying. Many users needed 5,6,7 or more attempts to get it to work. And yes, there could be a problem with your S/N not being registered in their database.
Try to sign up for Asus device tracker. That will tell you if your S/N is registered with them. If not, call Asus about a problem signing up for device Tracker, NOT about your inability to unlock!
They do not support unlocking and won't help you to do so.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: mamoulian666

mamoulian666

Jun 17, 2009
Having just been through this, what berndblb said.
After several goes I managed to get the DeviceTracker to work. Some things which may or may not have helped get it to work:
Login to Asus support site and check device is registered (it was). Maybe logging in 'poked' it to update an active flag or something?

Update and go into Google Maps app on the pad, there's a new disclaimer screen that needed to be OKd
Update and go into Google+ app on the pad. Some of Google's location services (e.g. latitude) seem to have been moved to that. No idea if it's relevant for what Asus use but hey.
Logged in to the DeviceTracker using Google. My Asus account login wouldn't work.
The serial number entry just worked, and added TF201 to a dropdown at the top, then located my device.

Then Asus' unlock app on the pad (which was still open after getting the error before) worked straight off and asked for Google password.

HTH, I was about to give up and call Asus support which wasn't going to go well.

arvo.bowen

May 21, 2012
After several goes I managed to get the DeviceTracker to work. Some things which may or may not have helped get it to work:
Login to Asus support site and check device is registered (it was). Maybe logging in 'poked' it to update an active flag or something?

Update and go into Google Maps app on the pad, there's a new disclaimer screen that needed to be OKd
Update and go into Google+ app on the pad. Some of Google's location services (e.g. latitude) seem to have been moved to that. No idea if it's relevant for what Asus use but hey.
Logged in to the DeviceTracker using Google. My Asus account login wouldn't work.
The serial number entry just worked, and added TF201 to a dropdown at the top, then located my device.

Then Asus' unlock app on the pad (which was still open after getting the error before) worked straight off and asked for Google password.

HTH, I was about to give up and call Asus support which wasn't going to go well.

I hate Asus support... They swear the "unlock device tool" has nothing to do with the device tracker. I have been on the phone for 1.5 hrs now with them and they say the device tracker has been having issues for a week! Asus NO SUPPORT!

kalel28

Sep 30, 2013
What worked for me....finally

I went through a lot of posts and other forums with users having issues with the tool. I've read it relies on the Device Tracker but couldn't get that to work. After trying everything posted in this forum and doing a reset (no longer rooted) I still couldn't get v7 or v8 to work for my tf700. I contacted ASUS support via email and they replied this morning. They sent me a link to a v7 .apk and it worked with no issues. I was very happy to see them helping me do this even though it would then void the warranty. Here is what they sent me, including full text as to give all credit to them:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Emma and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I will do our utmost to assist you in resolving this matter, I apologize for the trouble you seem to be experiencing with the device.

Could you please check whether the unlock tool you downloaded is right first and then accomplish it through the steps I sent to you.

URL omitted due to me being new user. Search for the "Version V7" and File Size should show "613.54 (KBytes) 2012/07/25 update"

Please install this apk and follow the below steps to unlock device
1.Launch “Unlock Device” on your app menu
2.Read and check the description, Press “OK”
3.Check “agree” and press “Press to unlock your device”

If you still can not unlock it, could you please provide the wifi mac address for me?

Have a great day!

Once again, thanks for choosing ASUS products.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
Emma
ASUS Product Support Team
888-678-3688"

I created an account here in hopes this .apk will help someone else get the tool working to allow further enjoyment on the tf700 as I plan to do.

Thanks all! :)

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I went through a lot of posts and other forums with users having issues with the tool. I've read it relies on the Device Tracker but couldn't get that to work. After trying everything posted in this forum and doing a reset (no longer rooted) I still couldn't get v7 or v8 to work for my tf700. I contacted ASUS support via email and they replied this morning. They sent me a link to a v7 .apk and it worked with no issues. I was very happy to see them helping me do this even though it would then void the warranty. Here is what they sent me, including full text as to give all credit to them:

I will do our utmost to assist you in resolving this matter, I apologize for the trouble you seem to be experiencing with the device.

Could you please check whether the unlock tool you downloaded is right first and then accomplish it through the steps I sent to you.

URL omitted due to me being new user. Search for the "Version V7" and File Size should show "613.54 (KBytes)2012/07/25 update"

If you still can not unlock it, could you please provide the wifi mac address for me?

Have a great day!

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
Emma
888-678-3688"

I created an account here in hopes this .apk will help someone else get the tool working to allow further enjoyment on the tf700 as I plan to do.

Well! Good news! Either they changed their policy towards unlocking or you were lucky to deal wiith a very responsive rep.
I wouldn't be surprised if they leighten up on unlocking now. Lots of Tf700s are at the end of their warranty anyway - no skin off their back anymore....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: echardcore

echardcore

Apr 12, 2010
Dirty Jersey
Well! Good news! Either they changed their policy towards unlocking or you were lucky to deal wiith a very responsive rep.
I wouldn't be surprised if they leighten up on unlocking now. Lots of Tf700s are at the end of their warranty anyway - no skin off their back anymore....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

I am dealing with Emma now. She seems helpful. I used the Asus Device Tracker not working after an RMA tactic and then she asked for my MAC address. Im pretty happy.

This tab is nearly useless unless you ROM it.

Thanks for the post. I will report back if it works.

zocas

Jun 16, 2012
Still not working

--------------------------------------------------
Hi! Thank you, I used the gmail account and the tracker worked !!! But, I still can't unlock my device. I can receive any updates. But the unlock tool still gives me the network erros message. What else can I do ?
Thank you!

mmgethersjr56

Dec 23, 2013
please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:
I have been reading the transformer forum and was directed here to see if there was any solution. I am having the same problem.
I call ASUS and both customer services reps. would not help me because they said my device is unlocked. My device is not unlocked. The first rep hung up on me and when I called back the second rep told me because the computer is saying my device is unlocked then they cannot help. they want me to send it back to them so that they can charge me (which by the way is alot) to fix the problem instead of changing my status in their computer and registering me with ASUS device tracker.
I tried to register with ASUS device tracker and it tells me the command failed.
Is there any way to get help now because I really want to root or is there a way to root without unlocking the tablet?:fingers-crossed:

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
mmgetthersjr56:

I saw this info at devicetracker.asus.com. I did the .10 update OTA and never saw anything indicating it didn't take. Later on, not because I saw this info because I hadn't yet, I downloaded .10 from Asus and flashed it from my sdcard. But the other day when I wanted to make sure the device tracker would find me I saw this when I clicked the UPDATE LIST option:

6ee18c59-d777-4163-b3b3-4a9d4cecd054_zps40a9f97a.jpg

So now I wonder is this possibly what is keeping me from being able to unlock the damn thing? Would rolling back to .8 and then taking an OTA to .10 clear this data and thus allow me to unlock?

You might want to go back to the device tracker and see if your info on this page is indicating like mine is. It MIGHT be what OUR unlocking problem is but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
:confused:
I have been reading the transformer forum and was directed here to see if there was any solution. I am having the same problem.
I call ASUS and both customer services reps. would not help me because they said my device is unlocked. My device is not unlocked. The first rep hung up on me and when I called back the second rep told me because the computer is saying my device is unlocked then they cannot help. they want me to send it back to them so that they can charge me (which by the way is alot) to fix the problem instead of changing my status in their computer and registering me with ASUS device tracker.
I tried to register with ASUS device tracker and it tells me the command failed.
Is there any way to get help now because I really want to root or is there a way to root without unlocking the tablet?:fingers-crossed:

Contact Asus support by email and send them a picture of your boot screen. If it doesn't say: "This device is unlocked" - it's not unlocked.....

You can root without unlocking by downgrading to 10.6.1.14.8 firmware and rooting it with the Motochopper tool. But you cannot run a custom rom without unlocking it.

sparksd

Sep 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Contact Asus support by email and send them a picture of your boot screen. If it doesn't say: "This device is unlocked" - it's not unlocked.....

You can root without unlocking by downgrading to 10.6.1.14.8 firmware and rooting it with the Motochopper tool. But you cannot run a custom rom without unlocking it.

I went through the same run-around with Support - they said it was unlocked when it wasn't. I sent them a screenshot capturing my serial number and MAC address at their request, they still said it was unlocked, and then miraculously/luckily the next unlock I tried worked. They would not admit to changing anything on their side. The whole process and their stance on it is absurd. I love the tablet now that I have CROMi-x on it and my Nexus 7 is a great device but dealing with Asus has really soured me on them.

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
I got a call today from someone at asus that wanted to know about a survey I took after they sent me an RMA for the unlocking problem. They wanted to know why I gave them a bad rating. I told them they were unwilling to fix my issue which really does not need to have the tablet returned to them for repair. I told him what I was trying to do and got the same bs answer about not supporting unlocking of the device. So I said asus can kiss my posterior and will get no more of my money nor any recommendations for products to anyone I do work for or know. Told him asus was more concerned about my bad survey comments than making an impression on a customer by extending a helping hand by going the extra mile.
Since there is nothing you can do or are willing to do goodbye. I hung up the phone.

I will bad mouth Asus every chance I get everywhere I go when the topic arises. I'm not going to wear you people out about it but no one will ever hear me say anything good about Asus ever again. Sorry for whoever may find this unsavory but I really did want to unlock and run a good ROM on my tablet and I am very upset that it cant be done all because of Asus's attitude towards unlocking and bad records.

Merry Christmas to all!

mmgethersjr56

Dec 23, 2013
trouble with unlocking ASUS TF700T

Thank you everyone for your responses.
flhthemi - I had the very same experience and they completely ignored my concerns. I will never buy or recommend ASUS to anyone because it really is the principle of a big corporate company just selling a product and customer service does not count.

sparksd - I called and have yet to have them correct the problem because they believe that my device is unlocked and I am a liar.

berndblb - How do I downgrade and not brick my device.:confused: I have tried to do this and it never works and then my device becomes bricked.:( I have tried multiple ways suggest on this site and other for ASUS TF700T but have had no success. so if you could please point me to the one method that is a sure fire way to this then I would appreciate it. Also I know about the nvflash but I have yet to have it work for me.

Again thank you all for your help. It is really appreciated that there are still people that are so willing to help and give sound advice.:cool:

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
berndblb - How do I downgrade and not brick my device.:confused: I have tried to do this and it never works and then my device becomes bricked.:( I have tried multiple ways suggest on this site and other for ASUS TF700T but have had no success. so if you could please point me to the one method that is a sure fire way to this then I would appreciate it. Also I know about the nvflash but I have yet to have it work for me.

Again thank you all for your help. It is really appreciated that there are still people that are so willing to help and give sound advice.:cool:

Downgrading should not put you into any jeopardy of bricking! It' s all done with the stock recovery and a method build into the stock rom - what did you try?
Anyway - you download the .8 firmware for your SKU or region (US, WW, JP)
- you unzip that file once, the result being another zip
- you copy that file to the root of your internal storage
- you should get a notification that the downgrade is available. If you don't: reboot

If that does not work try method 2:

- rename the unzipped zip to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip (make sure your PC shows file extensions - you don't want to end up with EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip.zip)
- load that file into the root of a fat32 formatted microSD, insert the card and boot to recovery
- the recovery should recognize the firmware file and flash it automatically

To boot to recovery you boot up holding Power and Volume Down buttons until you feel the tablet vibrate twice and see tiny script appear. You'll also see three icons: RCK, Android, Wipe Data
RCK is flashing. Push the Volume Up button to enter recovery

Once that is done you download the Motochopper tool and follow the instructions to root the tablet.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258633

Ignore everything but the numbered instructions in the grey box. It doesn't say so, but the tool works for the TF700 stock JB rom. Naturally you need the Asus drivers for your device - not Samsung as it says there. If you can connect to your tablet in MTP through USB you should be ok.

sparksd

Sep 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thank you everyone for your responses.

sparksd - I called and have yet to have them correct the problem because they believe that my device is unlocked and I am a liar.

They didn't come out and call me a liar but they kept telling me mine was unlocked even though it clearly wasn't. Based on the date of when they said mine was supposedly unlocked, it looks like a failed unlock attempt somehow registers as an unlock to them. At any rate, I found their general tone to be the most irritating aspect of this - I felt like they were either calling me a liar or telling me I was too stupid to recognize that my device was unlocked.

mmgethersjr56

Dec 23, 2013
I think I am rooted but still no unlock of device

Downgrading should not put you into any jeopardy of bricking! It' s all done with the stock recovery and a method build into the stock rom - what did you try?
Anyway - you download the .8 firmware for your SKU or region (US, WW, JP)
- you unzip that file once, the result being another zip
- you copy that file to the root of your internal storage
- you should get a notification that the downgrade is available. If you don't: reboot

If that does not work try method 2:

- rename the unzipped zip to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip (make sure your PC shows file extensions - you don't want to end up with EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip.zip)
- load that file into the root of a fat32 formatted microSD, insert the card and boot to recovery
- the recovery should recognize the firmware file and flash it automatically

To boot to recovery you boot up holding Power and Volume Down buttons until you feel the tablet vibrate twice and see tiny script appear. You'll also see three icons: RCK, Android, Wipe Data
RCK is flashing. Push the Volume Up button to enter recovery

Once that is done you download the Motochopper tool and follow the instructions to root the tablet.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258633

Ignore everything but the numbered instructions in the grey box. It doesn't say so, but the tool works for the TF700 stock JB rom. Naturally you need the Asus drivers for your device - not Samsung as it says there. If you can connect to your tablet in MTP through USB you should be ok.

Thank you for these instructions. I did everything correctly and motochopper told me I was rooted but I just need to ask this question. If I am rooted I have access to superuser correct?
Thank you for your time.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What worked for me....finally

URL omitted due to me being new user. Search for the "Version V7" and File Size should show "613.54 (KBytes) 2012/07/25 update"

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Emma
    888-678-3688"

Emma updated their servers! Last night I was trying to unlock via the app and VOILA! FINALLY after hundreds of attempts my tablet is unlocked! Fun times ahead!
    Persistence is the key to unlocking

I have a Transformer TF700T, 4.2.1, 10.6.1.14.10. I have been trying to unlock it for the better part of two hours and was finally able to succeed. I did nothing different during these two hours of pressing the "unlock" button and receiving error messages. For some reason, after about 25 attempts, it finally went through. I would have to assume it was an issue with the ASUS servers and I finally found a break in traffic to push the unlock script through.

Just want you to know that persistence may be the key. You may try 10, 15, 25 times and receive error messages every time, then finally it will take. Don't give up!!!
    can any one advise

You cannot unlock through ADB. You have to use the Asus Unlock Tool.
    Keep trying. Many users needed 5,6,7 or more attempts to get it to work. And yes, there could be a problem with your S/N not being registered in their database.
    Try to sign up for Asus device tracker. That will tell you if your S/N is registered with them. If not, call Asus about a problem signing up for device Tracker, NOT about your inability to unlock!
    They do not support unlocking and won't help you to do so.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    I am curious how big was a delay between the moment you press unlock and the moment you get the error - I am getting anything from almost immediate error to up to 5 seconds delay. Because you mentioned you spent 2 hours for 25 attempts - does it mean each attempt in your case lasted almost 5 minutes, so you would press unlock and then waited for 5 minutes to get the error? Or each attempt lasted seconds and you waited for up to 5 minutes before retrying? Just trying to establish some pattern here. Thanks

Mazuka, I took a few breaks in between my unlock attempts, thus accounting for a longer than normal time frame. And, I may have very well made 40 attempts to unlock the tablet. I lost count after awhile. At times the attempts would last two minutes and other times the error message popped up fairly quickly. Sometimes I would have to re-enter my google account password and other times I wasn't asked for it. One thing to consider is if you are using Google and two-step verification enabled, it may be a good idea either temporarily disable it or assign a unique password to the phone unlock app. This may not be necessary but it's something I finally resorted to. While it didn't help at first, it may have been a factor in the final unlock sequence. Also, I did log in to ASUS device tracker to ensure my device serial number and/or MAC address was properly registered with ASUS. There are some security concerns with the ASUS device tracker so read up on this before you make a decision to use this service.