UK Vodafone Magic Root & Rom summary/help.

Search This thread

mwade12001

Jun 21, 2009
OK just spent a significant amount of time reading your forums and im nearly there just wanted some clarification on rooting and choice of roms for a UK Vodafone Magic as there doesnt seem to be one collection of advice for UK voda's. Here's how I think it goes please correct me!!

1. Root using haykuro’s method and files in the wiki. (Did read a post about uk voda users then having to flash a rom because reboot didnt work fully.)

2. Update the SPL according to the same wiki article. This is where its hazy!!! I am now left with a rooted magic with stock rom, (ie uk voda in my case.) an updated spl, allowing me to now do a full nandroid backup of stock rom or only a backup of installed apps only???? See where im getting confused??

If I then choose to not flash a rom to my Magic I am now running my stock rom (or a haykuro rom.) but with the added bonus of it being rooted, which in-turn allows me to run those useful apps available in the store, bluex, setCPU etc???????

God am I going mad!!:eek:

zetsurin

Apr 24, 2005
Melbourne

You and me both :D I'm in exactly the same situation as you, with the same decisions to make and same questions. I personally wouldn't mind installing a stock ION rom (or maybe the Japanese version since I speak English/Japanese) but essentially would like to know what you would like to know! Before I change my SPL though, I'd like to know if I can back it up.

brian colston

Aug 2, 2005
London
OK just spent a significant amount of time reading your forums and im nearly there just wanted some clarification on rooting and choice of roms for a UK Vodafone Magic as there doesnt seem to be one collection of advice for UK voda's. Here's how I think it goes please correct me!!

1. Root using haykuro’s method and files in the wiki. (Did read a post about uk voda users then having to flash a rom because reboot didnt work fully.)

2. Update the SPL according to the same wiki article. This is where its hazy!!! I am now left with a rooted magic with stock rom, (ie uk voda in my case.) an updated spl, allowing me to now do a full nandroid backup of stock rom or only a backup of installed apps only???? See where im getting confused??

If I then choose to not flash a rom to my Magic I am now running my stock rom (or a haykuro rom.) but with the added bonus of it being rooted, which in-turn allows me to run those useful apps available in the store, bluex, setCPU etc???????

try here, this will help you

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

thanks

B

mwade12001

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the fast response, this is the wiki i was referring to in my original post a helpful guide it is but it still doesn't answer the question, after I complete all the steps listed. Which rom will be on my phone?? the original rom?? (Vodafone in my case) or the haykuro rom??

brian colston

Aug 2, 2005
London
Thanks for the fast response, this is the wiki i was referring to in my original post a helpful guide it is but it still doesn't answer the question, after I complete all the steps listed. Which rom will be on my phone?? the original rom?? (Vodafone in my case) or the haykuro rom??

Sorry have changed my rom a few times now. no, your rom will be replaced and and I think you will find te new rom its the ION rom.

Thanks

B

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london

I haven't rooted mine yet either.
As a vetran of WMO I am a bit confused, but basically I think you can't root and keep your original Vodafone rom.
To do this, someone would have had to have produced a rooted version of this rom and no one has.
you can install the latest generic ion rom rooted.
if you want to go back to vodafone you'll have to find the rom.

The other annoying thing is that you can't do a rom backup without rooting it .... duh!

if I am wrong, someone please correct me!!

mwade12001

Jun 21, 2009
As i feared!! so the rom for rooting your magic also replaces the system with the haykuro ion rom. So as yet there is now way of keeping/backing up the original voda uk magic rom. (To revert back to at a later stage or if you f**k it up!!)

So this now leaves us uk voda magic users with the question which rom to go for which has the same functions as the uk voda rom. Ive read about the main ones ion r3 lite, nk02s htc beta 3, the rodgers and most recently the hero rom. Sounds like the community is really geting going!!

I am looking for :

1. wifi
2. bluetooth
3. 3G
4. Google sync
5. camera (as ive heard some roms dont support it.)
6. market (once again some roms with problems.)
7. superuser (obviously.)
8. Location
9. Voice is a bonus but not essential as uk voda does not have it

OK so i want it all lol, So far the Ion r3-lite looks the most suited but i cannot confirm the camera works so come on you clever ppl help us uk voda's out!!
Thx

brian colston

Aug 2, 2005
London
Thanks for the clarification Brian, so which roms have you tried and what are you using currently?

I have messed around with all the roms at the moment even the superhero. i am using at the moment the HTC one, but i have added a few things myself to the rom. i keep messing about with them all the time and spend more time flashing it han using it.

if you need any help just let me know

Thanks

B

mwade12001

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks Brian im probably going to give it a go tomorrow and go with the ion r3 lite rom to start!!
But once again to clarify you just pointed me to a link showing howto back up the rom by using the updated spl and nandroid backup function, to do this your magic must already be rooted and as you stated earlier by rooting the magic you will therefore replaced the vodafone rom with the ion rom. So a backup at this stage would be of the ion rom and not the stock vodafone rom. Am I correct???
If I get stuck i will be sure to take you up on your offer or further help. Thx

brian colston

Aug 2, 2005
London
Thanks Brian im probably going to give it a go tomorrow and go with the ion r3 lite rom to start!!
But once again to clarify you just pointed me to a link showing howto back up the rom by using the updated spl and nandroid backup function, to do this your magic must already be rooted and as you stated earlier by rooting the magic you will therefore replaced the vodafone rom with the ion rom. So a backup at this stage would be of the ion rom and not the stock vodafone rom. Am I correct???
If I get stuck i will be sure to take you up on your offer or further help. Thx

follow this:

whe you type in the command at stage 11, the phone should go into recovery mode and you should then see the option to backup you current rom. this will backup onto your storage card. if you dont see that option then DONOT update

Thanks

B

barefootnz

Jun 17, 2009
rooting your magic does not replace the user interface bit of the rom. You can root it without going to ION or anything else

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london
follow this:

whe you type in the command at stage 11, the phone should go into recovery mode and you should then see the option to backup you current rom. this will backup onto your storage card. if you dont see that option then DONOT update

Thanks

B

rooting your magic does not replace the user interface bit of the rom. You can root it without going to ION or anything else

thanks guys

1. will try the backup *done thanks*
2. * the guide does not replace the firmware, and my phone booted ok *

many thxs all

Last edited:

mwade12001

Jun 21, 2009
OK colonel so you have a success you followed the guide at " http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting "
................and didn't have a problem at the reboot command?? (So no need to revert to the follow on guide at " http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=524925 " which would mean having to replace the standard voda rom.)

So you now have a rooted uk voda magic running on the original rom?? As well as a backup of the original rom, meaning that you can now flash custom roms to your hearts content with the reassurance of being able to flash back to the original voda rom if you should wish.

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london
OK colonel so you have a success you followed the guide at " http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting "
................and didn't have a problem at the reboot command?? (So no need to revert to the follow on guide at " http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=524925 " which would mean having to replace the standard voda rom.)

So you now have a rooted uk voda magic running on the original rom?? As well as a backup of the original rom, meaning that you can now flash custom roms to your hearts content with the reassurance of being able to flash back to the original voda rom if you should wish.

indeed - exactly as you say
I had no issue with the rebooting problem mentioned elsewhere

although I don't intend on running a custom rom yet.
I did it purely to get root access, inititially to follow superxnova's excellent guide to get other language fonts (I wanted hebrew):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=480964

** Make sure you select the option to make a backup after the command typed in step 11 **

One other thing I would say, the instructions are precise until step 14&15

instead of doing step 14 & 15 I went into fastboot mode by - step 10 (then back button), typed the command in step 11,then pressed update. After update i selected reboot.

not sure if that made any difference as "home + power" does the same thing

riddelln

Jun 22, 2009
3g Gone

Hi - i've managed to root today and to install the new some new roms - thanks to all of the wonderful advice here. One thing I have noticed is that I lose my 3g capability with any rom apart from my original vodafone rom. I'm not too bothered as I can restore from a nandroid backup. Would be nice to be able to use the SuperHero v2 build i've currently got working (apart from the 3g).

Thx.

Niall

colonel

Dec 15, 2005
london
Hi - i've managed to root today and to install the new some new roms - thanks to all of the wonderful advice here. One thing I have noticed is that I lose my 3g capability with any rom apart from my original vodafone rom. I'm not too bothered as I can restore from a nandroid backup. Would be nice to be able to use the SuperHero v2 build i've currently got working (apart from the 3g).

Thx.

Niall

you probably need to refresh the apn
do some searching to find out how

I have to say, i am not in a rush to change the vodafone rom
its pretty fast and unbranded.

When I had a winmo I was keen to get a new rom for speed and newer builds/features, but don't really feel the need now
perhaps i will later!