[Q] ADB wont work in recovery after latest ota

Search This thread

Nemesis_00

Jun 5, 2008
Hi,

I've just done an OTA update to 6.09.401.5
My phone is 801n, S-OFF with locked bl. Hboot is 1.57.

After the OTA I had lost root, so I went on to recovery (stock) to sideload supersu.
Much to my surprise, I can't adb with the stock recovery.

Looking in device manager, it just shows up as mass storage device.

I've added the device ID to the google driver inf:
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FF9

and forced the driver, which loaded fine. But adb devices still shows nothing.
Same thing when I force ADB Composite Device.
Also tried disabling and enabling USB debugging without any success.

Do you guys have a similar issue? Are your device ids the same as mine in recovery? ADB works?

Attachments

• usblogview.jpg
    usblogview.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 25

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Hi,

I've just done an OTA update to 6.09.401.5
My phone is 801n, S-OFF with locked bl. Hboot is 1.57.

After the OTA I had lost root, so I went on to recovery (stock) to sideload supersu.
Much to my surprise, I can't adb with the stock recovery.

Looking in device manager, it just shows up as mass storage device.

I've added the device ID to the google driver inf:
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FF9

and forced the driver, which loaded fine. But adb devices still shows nothing.
Same thing when I force ADB Composite Device.
Also tried disabling and enabling USB debugging without any success.

Do you guys have a similar issue? Are your device ids the same as mine in recovery? ADB works?

You can not sideload with stock recovery nor use adb commands. flash a custom recovery

Nemesis_00

Jun 5, 2008
You can not sideload with stock recovery nor use adb commands. flash a custom recovery

That seems strange. It was a while ago, but i did root my 4.4.2 install somehow with the bootloader remaining locked (I didnt erase my phone), and keeping stock recovery. Since the BL is locked I probably didnt flash a custom recovery and then revert to stock.
I was pretty sure I just sideloaded it with stock recovery since my device is SOFF.

Are you certain it can't be done?
It's pretty stupid of me then, as I am not sure how I rooted it before then.

alray

May 22, 2012
That seems strange. It was a while ago, but i did root my 4.4.2 install somehow with the bootloader remaining locked (I didnt erase my phone), and keeping stock recovery. Since the BL is locked I probably didnt flash a custom recovery and then revert to stock.
I was pretty sure I just sideloaded it with stock recovery since my device is SOFF.

Are you certain it can't be done?
It's pretty stupid of me then, as I am not sure how I rooted it before then.

you can not use adb sideload with stock recovery.

if you don't want to wipe the phone by unlocking the bootloader using htcdev.com you can:

flash a custom recovery in a masked firmware.zip with the bootloader locked (s-off only)
or
do wait said above and then unlock bootloader from custom recovery using adb shell or guru bootloader reset tool.

Last edited:

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
flash a custom recovery in a masked firmware.zip with the bootloader locked (s-off only)
or
unlock the bootloader with the s-off method and flash a custom recovery.
is masking firmware works ?
If this works then no one need htcdev I think it's not possible or can brick
For totally stock locked S On phone I take a same version firmware mix TWRP flashing you don't need htcdev or unlocked ?
How I can unlock with S Off & stock Recovery non root ?

alray

May 22, 2012

with s-off you can flash a custom recovery with a locked bootloader, no risk. just pack the custom recovery image (renamed recovery.img) with an android-info.txt that match your phone info inside a firmware.zip file and flash it in ruu mode.

you can then use the guru bootloader reset tool to unlock your bootloader using the custom recovery or by using an adb shell from custom recovery

This is not a magical way to unlock, you first need s-off. if the phone is s-on then htcdev is required.

For totally stock locked S On phone I take a same version firmware mix TWRP flashing you don't need htcdev or unlocked ?
will only work for s-off, you can not flash a firmware with twrp inside, you can only flash sigend firmware with s-on

you can't, you first need to flash custom recovery using a masked firmware.zip like said above or use htcdev. using the firmware method will not wipe the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: yatindroid

Nemesis_00

Jun 5, 2008
you can not use adb sideload with stock recovery.

if you don't want to wipe the phone by unlocking the bootloader using htcdev.com you can:

or
do wait said above and then unlock bootloader from custom recovery using adb shell or guru bootloader reset tool.

Well, im an idiot. That's probably what I did last time as well.
For some reason I remembered using sideload.
Flashed TWRP, installed SuperSU and back to stock recovery.

Thanks a bunch,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

with s-off you can flash a custom recovery with a locked bootloader, no risk. just pack the custom recovery image (renamed recovery.img) with an android-info.txt that match your phone info inside a firmware.zip file and flash it in ruu mode.

you can then use the guru bootloader reset tool to unlock your bootloader using the custom recovery or by using an adb shell from custom recovery

This is not a magical way to unlock, you first need s-off. if the phone is s-on then htcdev is required.

will only work for s-off, you can not flash a firmware with twrp inside, you can only flash sigend firmware with s-on

you can't, you first need to flash custom recovery using a masked firmware.zip like said above or use htcdev. using the firmware method will not wipe the phone.