[ROM] [NS4G] CyanogenMod 9 v4.0.4 - v4.0

Search This thread

slackguru

Jan 11, 2012
Coralville
Trying to understand

In this release you removed the lulzactive governor control module(one of my favorite parts by the way, it worked really well) and upgraded the kernel. You also widgified the torch and added power button functionality for the camera, battery status tweaks and several other enhancements.

In past updates there were some with many more additions that only increased your versioning by trailing decimal, and others that only receive a patch level...

I really want to understand why you chose to version this release at 3.0 instead of something like 2.1 and am hoping maybe you can shed some light on good rules of thumb to follow for maintaining ROM updates. If I can ever resolve VM heaping issues in Eclipse on this crappy old PC of mine I may actually turn out my own ROM, but to do so and maintain it I would want to know that I am not going to waste my time because of the time it takes my single core 3.1 GHz Intel processor to compile all the source, not to mention the eclipse tweaks I have to perform frequently to avoid the VM heaping issues.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, because I absolutely love the combination of CM9 2.0 with Black Infinitum Theme, I will not be upgrading again until next AOSP release or CM9 implements its own theming finally. More control over how my software looks and Icon packs... That leads me to an entirely new thought and question, has anyone ever attempted to make an app that attempts to decompile apk, modify xml and recompile apk on the fly to have granular control over the SystemUI?

All that to say this, Thanks again to all the effort in bringing us Cyanogen.

KeeperOfThePizza

Sep 16, 2010
Why is support for this device or feedback so.. quiet? I'm not saying in general just specific to cyanogenmod and the nexus s... like even with Cyanogenmod 7.. its been quiet.. and its been like this for the last 3 devices i've had, HTC Sensation, HTC Thunderbolt and now the Nexus S4G. I dont see any change log or input on this build. Its just quiet. Even on the website it is. If someone can appoint me to somewhere were this is actual talk about this device and Cyanogen.. please point me to it.

FL0OD

Jul 27, 2010
The feedback in the forum is because there are so many kangs out there that have a lot of features that people like and it seems as though cm instead of leading the way like they did back in the day they are taking their time with their builds. Which is fine because they do what they do but with the absence of nightlies it always seems as though they are catching up because of the kangs that are available almost daily. Peoples attention spans are shorter and shorter and are jumping on builds that are updated more often. No offense to the cm team because without them there would be no kangs or a base for a lot of development but as we see more and more devs we will see more and more roms being developed where for AOSP cm in the past was king.

°•neXus S4G•°

mondokat

Dec 17, 2011
The feedback in the forum is because there are so many kangs out there that have a lot of features that people like and it seems as though cm instead of leading the way like they did back in the day they are taking their time with their builds. Which is fine because they do what they do but with the absence of nightlies it always seems as though they are catching up because of the kangs that are available almost daily. Peoples attention spans are shorter and shorter and are jumping on builds that are updated more often. No offense to the cm team because without them there would be no kangs or a base for a lot of development but as we see more and more devs we will see more and more roms being developed where for AOSP cm in the past was king.

°•neXus S4G•°

yeah, build bot, where are you? :( stuff is obviously happening, but the forums are quiet so with no build bot, it feels like nothing happens. Is there an IRC channel or anything?

Romanpower

Dec 23, 2011
Awesome!

Love it! I am so happy! ICS before a official release! Of course some features are not yet available. But wow! This works great! And now I can be happy until the official CM9 release!

joenathane

Oct 19, 2010
Phoenix
Is there a way to disable voodoo color. I really want the colors to look like stock kernel.

You can adjust the colors in the Nexus S Settings app, these are the settings i'm using

ihZZw8ToDSZJ5.png
iMfwm1hCMAwqr.png

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Why is support for this device or feedback so.. quiet? I'm not saying in general just specific to cyanogenmod and the nexus s... like even with Cyanogenmod 7.. its been quiet.. and its been like this for the last 3 devices i've had, HTC Sensation, HTC Thunderbolt and now the Nexus S4G. I dont see any change log or input on this build. Its just quiet. Even on the website it is. If someone can appoint me to somewhere were this is actual talk about this device and Cyanogen.. please point me to it.

The changelog has always been in the 2nd post of this thread.

KeeperOfThePizza

Sep 16, 2010

°•neXus S4G•°

+1!

10char.

tobiasly

Sep 8, 2007
Louisville, KY
So does the advice of not upgrading Gapps w/o full wipe still apply? I'm on a previous version of CM9 (1.1 I think) and Gapps (v10) and wanted to upgrade to 3.0, does that mean I need to re-apply v10 or can I wipe Dalvik+cache and apply both CM9-3.0 and Gapps 11?

Or is even jumping 2 CM9 versions a bad idea?

rocket999

Aug 19, 2011
I've been using V3.0 since it was released, and I have gotten some random reboots with it. I was scrolling through an app that isn't CPU or graphic intensive, and it just turned off and restarted.

CPU:
Min: 100
Max: 1100
Governer: Lulzactive
Kernel: 3.0.19 SG-NS-ICS kernel

nate735

Jun 18, 2010
In the past two updates 2.0 and 3.0 at some point when im using my phone the phone will freeze for a bout 3 seconds then vibrate and then it will open up gmail with a message to myself and subject is bugreport. This happened to me 5-6 times ion the past week. also i cant attach the bug report its 3.9mb . . also im running stock kernel and no mods

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_2012-02-23-06-42-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-23-06-42-02.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 179

bobonit

Mar 3, 2007
Lake Worth
I got my wife a new Nexus S 4g and installed v2.0. This is her first smartphone and she loves it. This ROM is very stable and fast. Great job!

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
In the past two updates 2.0 and 3.0 at some point when im using my phone the phone will freeze for a bout 3 seconds then vibrate and then it will open up gmail with a message to myself and subject is bugreport. This happened to me 5-6 times ion the past week. also i cant attach the bug report its 3.9mb

That's supposed to happen when you press power plus both up and down volume keys at the same time. Are you sure you're not accidentally hitting those buttons?

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Just wanted to say that I'm loving v3.0. Enabled KSM and set Interactive preset to Fast and everything is super smooth and responsive. And with DSP my headphones have never sounded better! Thanks for all the hard work Brunsra, Kalim and the rest of the CM team!

HipToday

Jul 26, 2011
Bluetooth Headset Issue

Play/Pause from my Bluetooth headset doesn't seem to be working with the music player in v3.0. Next/Previous track and volume keys from my headset work as expected. Anybody else seen this?

Worm1996

Sep 17, 2011
How can I get rid off press one on my Google voice i have a hard time answering my phone whenever there is a call

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.0 (ICS), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions:

First time flashing CyanogenMod 9 to the Nexus S 4G, or coming from another ROM?
    1. Root the device and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Instructions are available here.
    2. Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
    3. Format the system, data & cache partitions of your device.
    4. Perform a factory reset.
    5. Flash CyanogenMod.
    6. Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.
    Upgrading from earlier version of CyanogenMod 9?
    1. Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
    Issues?

Experience issues? Please provide the following info:
    • If the device was hard reboot, please provide the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
    • If the device was soft reboot or is "bootlooping", please run a logcat and provide the full output.
    • Please use Pastebin when possible.
    Download Links:

This is ONLY and early build of CM. Still a lot to be done there, so we can call it ALPHA build but is a daily use, so you can use normally.

We would like to thank Ezekeel for developing the deepidle capability within the kernel. Great work Ezekeel!

CyanogenMod:
    Latest version: Version 4.0 - Current
    Date: 2012.03.29
    Download: link
    MD5sum: 4982c75957a43f33687aac887599bd0a​

Older version: Version 3.0
    Date: 2012.02.22
    MD5sum: b2728899bd54480e219c8f01e9eaf2c3​

Google Apps:

Note: Applications such as Google Voice, Maps, Music, Videos can all be installed via the Market

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    Changelog

Alpha 15:
    • Kernel 3.0.8
    • LED notification is on
    • T9 in call patched from alfa 13
    • LED Keys not turning ON when screen is off and you touch the screen

Alpha 16:
    • Added voodoo color control
    • Updated code for some issues

Alpha 17:
    • Added voodoo sound control
    • Added MusicFx
    • Updated code for some issues
    • Superuser corrected, now works without issues

Alpha 18:
    • Notification Power Widget
    • Removed MusicFX (Replaced by DSPManager)

Alpha 19:
    • Trebuchet (Launcher) has many more options
    • Browser downloads via 4G/WiMax
    • Face unlock (IMO not stable, due to no official release for Crespo4g)

Alpha 20:
    • Camera - Added touch to focus
    • General - Removed software EGL
    • General - Updated CrespoParts application
    • Kernel - Overclock up to 1400 (use SetCPU)
    • Kernel - Added Deep Idle (Thanks to Ezekeel!)

Version 1.0:
    • General - Code updated to CM
    • Kernel - Upgraded kernel to 3.0.17
    • Kernel - Minimal green flickering during powering screen on/off
    • Kernel - Added zram option.
    • Kernel - Optimized for battery life and speed.
    • Sound - Added all sound options to DSPManager. ( voodoo app is not compatible, use the options in device settings to control colors and options in dsp manager under wm8994 to control sound )

Version 1.1:
    • Kernel - Set default gamma values to decrease green tint
    • Music - Fix shake action

Version 2.0:
    • More kernel upgrades
    • Code updated
    • Added some overclock patches for stability
    • Added New settings
    • Added new governor lulzactive. I suggest you to use this one.
    • New Settings icons
    • No more flickering on turn on/off the screen
    • Modified kernel for kms
    • Lulzactive as default governor with some tweaks.
    • Added setting to control kms ( settings/ performance / memory ) You will win memory on your devices
    • Default values for ksm set to reduce cpu usage
    • New option to control lulzactive governor. Look on Settings/advanced
    • Repaired errors in multiplier colors
    • Cleaned the code at device options
    • Added Torch app working ( https://github.com/KalimochoAz/IcsTorch )
    • Voodoo wm8994 DSP corrected into DSPManager to avoid sporadic FCs

Latest - Version 3.0:
    • More kernel upgrades
    • Code updated
    • Added Torch, now with widget
    • Added option to camera to take photos by pressing power button
    • Added battery display style
    • Removed Lulzactive
    • Updated kernel 3.0.21 & new kernel speeds
    Everything works great and loving the new boot screen!!

But...

Where in the blue hell did face unlock go?? I LOVED that feature!! Not that I like seeing my own face every time I want to unlock my phone, but I LOVED playing with it!! And it only seemed to get smarter and smarter every time I updated it..

I hadn't updated my nightly build for a while (in fact, I've been sticking with cm7 as my daily until they got the bugs worked out..), and now that I'm trying it again, I find LESS features (in other areas too, such as the removed governors in the cpu controls, and the inability to use voodoo due to the stock cm9 kernel not having the parts)??

THE ENTIRE POINT OF CM WAS to give us a feature-rich, near-fully-customizable experience, and now a lot of the stuff has been shut down that CM7 had??!! WTF!!

C'mon maintainer team!! Stop shutting down the customizations that made CM rock in the first place!!

I was a developer for the moto backflip forum on m3, so this *****ing is not coming from just an everyday user experience, and I would just compile my own from cm source with the overlays (or modding with my own code), but it's obviously been done a few times using Google source (e.g. oICS and The Orca Project), and I simply don't have the time anymore since I work 2 jobs now!

Can we PLEASE get back some more of the customizations that made me fall in love with CM 2 years ago??

Now, don't get me wrong.. as I said in the beginning, it looks and runs great, as-is.. but robbing Peter to pay Paul (because yes, I've seen some custom work in other areas, such as with the launcher) is not the right way to handle things..

Just my 2 cents on everything..

Peace..
    ~Wickid~

I'm gonna to try to answer your questions without flaming you but it's difficult....

1. Face Unlock comes from the Gapps you use, not the ROM.
    2. Voodoo features are already included in the ROM. DSP for Voodoo Sound features and the colors can be adjusted in the included settings without installing Voodoo.
    3. No one cares how busy you are, Kalim is probably a busy man too.
    4. Developer or not, stupid post is stupid post.
    5. Stop shouting, you're an idiot.

EDIT: I was not up to the challenge.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Guides

Please do a complete wipe/clean prior to installation, even if currently running an ICS ROM. Many changes between builds prior to 4.0.3 and this build.

Cleaning
    • Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    • Wipe Cache Partition
    • Mounts and Storage -> Format /system
    • Mounts and Storage -> Format /boot
    • Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache

Launcher is Laggy
    • From home screen -> Preferences
    • Drawer -> Uncheck "Join with Apps"
    v2.0 Released

Version 2.0 has been released.