Nexus 5 heavy thermal throttling in Antutu

Search This thread

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
I know that some will say that "real use" performance is what matters, however I am disappointed that my Nexus 5 gets substantially lower Antutu scores than all other Snapdragon 800 powered phones, which all seem to achieve scores above 30000.

My Nexus 5 has scored less than my HTC One which has Snapdragon 600.

I rooted my Nexus and ran Trickster mod to monitor the CPU load, CPU temp and CPU clock frequency.

I found that the standard kernel starts to throttle Snapdragon 800 SOC on Nexus 5 at 63°C, initially dropping to 1958 MHz (from 2265 MHz maximum) , then as temperature continued to rise up to maximum of 69°C it throttled further, 1728 MHz, and eventually dropping CPU to 1036 MHz.

Trickster mod doesn't display GPU clock rate on Nexus 5 standard kernel so I don't know if GPU is also throttling, however with such aggressive CPU throttling it does impact performance including video frame rates significantly.

What are your experience with this matter ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Omya

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I know that some will say that "real use" performance is what matters, however I am disappointed that my Nexus 5 gets substantially lower Antutu scores than all other Snapdragon 800 powered phones, which all seem to achieve scores above 30000.

I rooted my Nexus and ran Trickster mod to monitor the CPU load, CPU temp and CPU clock frequency.

I found that the standard kernel starts to throttle Snapdragon 800 SOC on Nexus 5 at 63°C, initially dropping to 1958 MHz (from 2265 MHz maximum) , then as temperature continued to rise up to maximum of 69°C it throttled further, 1728 MHz, and eventually dropping CPU to 1036 MHz.

Trickster mod doesn't display GPU clock rate on Nexus 5 standard kernel so I don't know if GPU is also throttling, however with such aggressive CPU throttling it does impact performance including video frame rates significantly.

Not got my N5 yet, but this is disappointing :-/

DJ-Tumor

Mar 25, 2012
Viersen
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 7
that is no good News!

but we have to find out if that is in any way related to the quality of the cpu you got.
you know that cpu binning thingmim thinking of. maybe you gut very Bad luck and the worst Type of cpu that there is when it comes to snapdragon 800.

alexktz

Feb 28, 2011

Feel free to check out my antutu benchmark section (after the power on test) of the video and the 3dmark section (at the end) to see what happens. 3dmark doesnt throttle it seems, but antutu definitely does.

Mynix

Jan 12, 2013
Near Versailles - France

Feel free to check out my antutu benchmark section (after the power on test) of the video and the 3dmark section (at the end) to see what happens. 3dmark doesnt throttle it seems, but antutu definitely does.

Love the 'Maxed Out!" score on the 3D Mark Extreme test for the Nexus 5 ! xD
That's quite impressive, whatever the Antutu score may be

But, does the phone gets hot when performing benchmarks ? Is it the reason why it throttles on Antutu ? Or maybe just a software issue

alexktz

Feb 28, 2011
The g2 got hot on the buttons at the back and the other phones all get warm to the touch but nothing that you would expect to create a thermal incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mynix

Jan 12, 2013
Near Versailles - France
The g2 got hot on the buttons at the back and the other phones all get warm to the touch but nothing that you would expect to create a thermal incident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right ^^' No problem with a bit of heat, that's absolutly normal. But I'd like to be able to touch my phone while playing that's it x)

Waiting for my Nexus 5 32go/white with an ooooold Optimus 2x

nitrogen618

Jul 14, 2010

They do. But point here is not cheating but thermal throttle.
However, coming from a s4, you can raise the thermal limit when custom kernel comes out. I remember thernal throtttle on s4 was like 68 or 70.. Raised the thermal throttle to 100, no problem.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Tarun95

Sep 5, 2010

Video blocked in my country. India. ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

persianrisk

Oct 12, 2013

that's disappointing! how can a snapdragon 600/HTC one win over snapdragon 800/Nexus 5 and by such a margin? can anyone else comment on this?

Ashtrix

Dec 21, 2010
Here's an article from arstechnica on the Higher perf SoC's thermal throttling, even my Nexus throttles on NFS:MW on OC, but the default thermal hotplugging can be overridden by new custom kernels which have better thermal logic that has better temp-perf ratio :good: !

Last edited:

birdie

Nov 25, 2012
I've just tested my brand new Nexus 5 (no background apps running at all, fresh boot) and it gets on average just 22500-24500 (the scores vary quite wildly - no idea why - maybe I should put in the freezer?) AnTuTu 4 marks.

It's just around 22C in the room where I'm testing it.

Sigh :(

I hoped it would be as fast as other SD800 devices.

Last edited:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary

The LG G2 and many other manufacturers cheat on Antutu your device should score much lower and I've many phones just look at my sig to find that out lol....if you want to get a good benchmark check out 3D Mark they are the best and will be ban brands that cheat on these benchmarks...there are only a handful of devices that beat the Nexus 5 in terms of power and they are running full x86 Intel chips with windows IE: Windows surface 2

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
My n5 is running Franco kernel, UV -75 and cpu under clocked to 1.7ghz. Running dalvik and the Qualcomm/bionic libs. Raised my thermal throttle to 90C from default 60. My GPU is set to 320mhz.
I still get 28,000!

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Every phone except Nexus cheats in benchmarks. You also need to download Motorola optimized Dalvik to match OEM phones scores I believe. If you try hard enough you can match Note 3 or G2 scores.

But why would you care? They're not at all representative of real world scenarios except maybe GPU tests and even that could be argued.

Reactions: mymusicathome

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Every phone except Nexus cheats in benchmarks. You also need to download Motorola optimized Dalvik to match OEM phones scores I believe. If you try hard enough you can match Note 3 or G2 scores.

But why would you care? They're not at all representative of real world scenarios except maybe GPU tests and even that could be argued.