(GOOGLE DOCS SPREADSHEET)ATT & Tmo IMEI thread/ Report issues & info here!

Search This thread

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
This is bad this makes me regret getting a Samsung phone now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
I know your right these companies are making it difficult for us. I am starting to realize that it's galaxy Nexus or bust it seems if you want to enjoy android any longer.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I know your right these companies are making it difficult for us. I am starting to realize that it's galaxy Nexus or bust it seems if you want to enjoy android any longer.

Blame the carriers man :/ It's not their place to f*ck with the software on such a low level like that.

And in response to the guy a few posts above, I used to love HTC. I owned the original Evo and Evo 3D, but once they started bootloaders I kissed them goodbye. At first I chose the SGSII (Sprint) for the Exynos processor and camera, ignoring the plastic body. I liked it, but mostly because it was so open and easily rootable. Then the One X came out (International Tegra 3) and I was considering it; I still think it looks better than the SGS3, and the Tegra 3 is no slouch. But what turned me away wasn't the non-expandable memory or non-removable battery. It was their stupid bootloader stance. I shouldn't have to tell the manufacturer that I'm tinkering with my phone in order to be able to do what I want with it. What if my phone has a hardware issue (like the wifi issue on the Tegra 3 One X) and I need to return it? Even if I set it back to stock firmware with an RUU (equivalent of an ODIN flash), they won't take it because they'll look up the IMEI and see that I rooted it. On top of that, the bootloader says "TAMPERED" and "RELOCKED" on top when you try to go back to stock after rooting. So that's why I won't buy an HTC ever again unless they reverse what they did.

Also, I had the Galaxy Nexus (before Jelly Bean was released, I sold it though), and while it was a nice phone, it has a horrible camera and less than 16GB of usable storage, which isn't enough for me. It also has an old processor that, while it's great for doing simple things, is not that great 3D-performance wise. I'm still waiting for a Tegra 3 or Exynos-based Nexus phone. The reason they went with TI-OMAP is because Exynos doesn't do LTE on-chip and it also doesn't do T-Mobile's 42Mbps on-chip.

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton

Yes, I love my nexus, but if you want to venture outside of that there's always gonna be small bridges to cross, and the gsm nexus also had a similar issue. But, I believe it's been solved, and this will be too. I don't think manufacturers or Google are trying to make things harder, it's just that code & software are ever changing. There are alot of knowledgeable ppl out there that pic these things apart, and it only seems impossible to us at the moment because one of them hasn't had a chance to check into this yet, or just need a little more time. It will all work out, but the devs at samsung & the devs on XDA don't communicate w/ each other, so it takes time to analyze their work apparently. I wouldn't have any regrets if I were you. I really didn't post a thread to bring anyone down, it's just best to be informed, and now you are, so just follow directions and if something goes wrong you'll know where to look, and at the very least you'll pull off a warranty exchange I'm sure...

Kevinl86

May 24, 2012
Portland, ME
I bought my ATT Pebble Blue BNIB for $415 on eBay which is a KILLER deal if any of you have been looking to purchase out of contract.
I've flashed about 4 roms since Saturday and now I'm on the CM10 Official. If it happens, it happens. It is what it is I guess.

And for anyone wanting the know. The CM10 is MOST DEF a daily driver as is, it is functioning at least 98% for me with camera and root.

Reactions: androholic

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I bought my ATT Pebble Blue BNIB for $415 on eBay which is a KILLER deal if any of you have been looking to purchase out of contract.
I've flashed about 4 roms since Saturday and now I'm on the CM10 Official. If it happens, it happens. It is what it is I guess.

And for anyone wanting the know. The CM10 is MOST DEF a daily driver as is, it is functioning at least 98% for me with camera and root.

I agree I'm loving jellybean freaking crazy fast :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
I've formed an idea on a possible solution*I installed twrp recovery via terminal emulator & have done some testing. I immediately made a backup & checked where it was stored after rebooting my phone and it is stored on the internal SD card. Although, if you check a box under mounts twrp will read from your external sd card & install any zips you may have stored there. I then rebooted back into twrp recovery & wiped cache, dalvik, and did a factory reset. To my surprise I was still able to restore my backup because twrp doesn't wipe your internal sd card storage or media? To my recollection cwm wipes everything including your internal sd card, at least on the gs3? So I believe perhaps cwm is what is wiping the area of our device that contains our imei data? This is at least possible, because I haven't read any reports of anyone using twrp having this issue. I've even scoured different sites asking users in twrp related topics if anyone has heard of the issue, and I've been all over searching high & low for ppl with our problem. My next step is to take the leap into installing many roms from the Tmo development section later this evening (hopefully). I may try to install & restore from them all. I will report my results back & if all is well each individual may make their own decision as to whether they feel comfortable installing twrp & flashing away! As for why cwm is wiping the imei(if it in fact is) I haven't the faintest clue, nor do I know how those already effected will recover other than a warranty exchange, but maybe we can at least prevent any other instances?

OTAw

May 27, 2012
Chicago
So Is this only happening to those who are flashing roms and/or kernels? Or is it for any rooted device period?

I'm asking because I'm staying with stock right now but might only want to root just for extra control options over my device.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

cashyftw

Sep 11, 2010
Ahh man, that's not cool. Guess I'm never going back to stock lol.

Sent from my Aokp Galaxy s3! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 7/29/2012 : PEOPLEARMY HAS FOUND A WAY TO BACK UP, RESTORE, OR INJECT YOUR IMEI! BELOW I WILL PASTE A LINK. THE PROBLEM APPEARS TO NOW HAVE A SOLUTION! PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK PEOPLEARMY, AND MOST OF ALL, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DONATE TO HIM, AS HE HAS SAVED MANT PEOPLE FROM WARRANTY EXCHANGES, BRICKED DEVICES, AND MILD HEART ATTACKS!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801997

UPDATE 7/30/2012: IT APPEARS THAT USER "GEEK", WHO PLAYED A LARGE ROLE IN PEOPLEARMYS IMEI SOLUTION, HAS NOW WRAPPED UP THE BACK UP PROCESS INTO A VERY SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE TOOL THAT ONLY REQUIRES FREEWARE! BELOW YOU WILL FIND A LINK TO GEEKS TOOL & EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ACCOMPANIED BY A VIDEO DEMONSTRATION! PEOPLEARMY HAS SUGGESTED THAT HE BELIEVES IT WOULD BE BEST IF YOU WERE TO CREATE THE BACK UP USING BOTH METHODS. PLEASE BE SURE TO THANK GEEK WHEN YOU VISIT HIS "IMEI TOOL THREAD", AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO DONATE THEN PLEASE DO. WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF BOTH OF THESE USERS, MANY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE LOST THEIR VERY EXPENSIVE GS3'S!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804123
    Hi,

Just wanted to fill you guys in on what I'm working on.

So far I have built a custom rom that enables Diagnostic serial port on T-mobile SGS3
    I have Extracted the 16 digit password from the modem
    I have Connected to Qualcomm Service tools such as CDMA workshop and QPST/QXDM
    I have READ the IMEI with these tools.
    I have achieved a full NV dump of the phone.

The only thing left is to achieve WRITE of IMEI and your problems will be solved.

I do not have the issue on my device but decided to put some time into this to see if I could get it done. I am still working on it now.

Is there an official bounty for this solution or no?
    I'll concur, that command looks ok to me.. Don't really need to cd /sdcard though but it won't hurt anything.

zonly, good luck, and as usual, this is at your own risk but you already have a brick right :)

Assuming you can get back to a shell afterwards, you can (theoretically) re-dd the original img back to restore the original state.

Okay boys, I'm goin' in. Will report back.
    has anyone tried restoring a complete dd backup after losing imei?

I believe this is the most important question that can be asked but it seems to have been looked over.

I know I've seen people say that the EFS Backup "App" doesn't work, but I'm not terribly surprised by this. Backups don't get much more rock-solid than a 'dd' backup.

(don't remember which thread this was from but it was posted by id_twin)

Backup by typing this in the terminal:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/efs of=/external_sd/efs_backup.img

Restore by typing this in the terminal:
    Code:
    dd if=/external_sd/efs_backup.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/efs_sdcc.1/by-name/efs

For those who are not familliar, this basically backs up a partition by reading directly from the storage device and outputting the byte-for-byte into a file that can be copied off for safe keeping when done. The restore process does the opposite, but writes byte-for-byte the entire partition block back to the partition area exactly the way it originally was pulled.

The important thing to know here is that most backup/restore apps will copy "files" out of a partition and into a different storage format than the partition such as tar or zip. To restore from one of these kinds backup apps, you would have to have an existing properly-formatted partition ready and mounted to extract the files to BUT when you're done extracting, the end-result is that you would have a different partition with the same files but with slight differences, such as the fact that the re-extracted files would likely be written to different areas of the partition than the original partition you extracted from, therefore your restore would NOT give you the EXACT same partition that you started with, just one that appears the same when mounted.

THIS kind of backup (dd backup) is a bit more awesome in that it will perform a partition-level backup which is the raw filesystem and all, it basically reads the 1's and 0's from a particular sector of your storage that includes the filesystem headers and filesystem structure and all in the backup. This means a couple of things. DD doesn't care (or know) what the underlying file-system is, in fact, there doesn't even need to be a filesystem present, it's just bytes in a block on a drive. This means that restoring THIS kind of backup will restore the base-level filesystem in-tact byte-for-byte. It's an exact mirror of your partition. These backups are so solid that these kinds of backups can actually be mounted as if they were a drive-partition on their own because technically, they ARE exactly a partition.

That being said, I really would be shocked if someone couldn't restore their EFS partition this way. I have backed mine up with this method but have not had any IMEI issues as of yet. If someone would be willing to share their DD backup with someone who has lost their IMEI as a proof-of-concept just to let the rest of the group know if this backup/restore method is effective that would be awesome. I have to admit I'm not terribly fond of handing out my IMEI to anyone, but it would be a great test for someone who has TWO GS3's handy (one with a bad IMEI and one good).

Hope this post helpful more than it is boring. I hope this gets figured out soon. I'm still a bit scared to flash another rom for now.
    yousefak ;

YOU HAVE HEREBY BEEN OFFICIALLY DOXXED.

in the future; might want to sign out of your google account *before* you deface something, that so many people have worked hard on...

just a thought buddy.;)

maybe we should deface your website ??
    baahh....
    no need, its already a mess.