Rooting noob needs advice

Search This thread

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014
Hi guys, new to the forum and a total noob rooting and custom roms etc. I have a note 3 SM-N9005 which i have just "successfully?" rooted with supersu flashed with clockwork recovery and am now running CM11 I installed the google apps package and it all seems to be running well apart from a few glitches. Does all this sound right? And how does it update? I'm aware that I am not running an official CM version but when that becomes available how do i get that running? Do I have to go through the process again?
Thanks in advance for the first of many stupid questions

Sent from my SM-N9000 using Tapatalk

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Cyanogen build is reporting wrong is all. Nothing to worry about. Build.prop just needs changed... Now to answer the question. .

If you stay on the base you're on now you can dirty flash new builds over. But if you are changing cm from different devs you'll need to wipe and install from scratch.

You're better wiping and installing from scratch as it tends to solve 99% of issues.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014
Cyanogen build is reporting wrong is all. Nothing to worry about. Build.prop just needs changed... Now to answer the question. .

If you stay on the base you're on now you can dirty flash new builds over. But if you are changing cm from different devs you'll need to wipe and install from scratch.

You're better wiping and installing from scratch as it tends to solve 99% of issues.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the response! I followed the instructions outlined in this post

ibtimes.co.uk/android-4-4-2-kitkat-arrives-galaxy-note-3-via-cyanogenmod-11-rom-how-install-1431052

I used the rom in the download link and used the programs they suggested to install it. What is the version of the rom they have listed?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York

ibtimes.co.uk/android-4-4-2-kitkat-arrives-galaxy-note-3-via-cyanogenmod-11-rom-how-install-1431052

I used the rom in the download link and used the programs they suggested to install it. What is the version of the rom they have listed?

This build is the one that Ibtimes listed

EDIT: Also for builds with some additional features, there is temasek's build, ProBAM and BAM - but obviously it is up to you which one you choose and to which one you prefer. - Pong's build was the first main build here at xda, and he's been doing daily updates to fix errors, a lot of people seem happy and content with that build right now, so unless you are looking for something different, you could stay on it without any major issues

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirnick2

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014

EDIT: Also for builds with some additional features, there is temasek's build, ProBAM and BAM - but obviously it is up to you which one you choose and to which one you prefer. - Pong's build was the first main build here at xda, and he's been doing daily updates to fix errors, a lot of people seem happy and content with that build right now, so unless you are looking for something different, you could stay on it without any major issues

Thanks. I had a look at PROBAM and flashed that on. I really like it. The only problem I had was with instruction number 7 select recommended kernel for first install.
What does this mean? The ROM is working fine and I couldn't find an option on cwm recovery. Lol I can just imagine the heads shaking reading this :p
Thanks

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Thanks. I had a look at PROBAM and flashed that on. I really like it. The only problem I had was with instruction number 7 select recommended kernel for first install.
What does this mean? The ROM is working fine and I couldn't find an option on cwm recovery. Lol I can just imagine the heads shaking reading this :p
Thanks

Can't select a kernel on installing that. Well not that I seen anyway, it includes a custom CM kernel - wouldn't worry about it too much.

But when custom kernels for CM do come round, flashing is pretty simple, just boot into recovery and flash the .zip. -- just be careful setting voltages etc cause what works for others won't work for you sometimes and may bootloop your phone. (it can be fixed) - As for the shaking heads, I wouldn't worry too much, we all started somewhere :)

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014
Also since I've started playing around with rooting and flashing my phone displays the wrong model number SM-N9000 instead of 9005. What is up with that?

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014
eta6e9ar.jpg

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Your phone is likely black N9005 for Australia XSA region

May be something wrong with your build.prop file. Check it and modify as need

Sirnick2

Jan 7, 2014
Sorry vngnguyen, I'm not to concerned with it any more

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Can't select a kernel on installing that. Well not that I seen anyway, it includes a custom CM kernel - wouldn't worry about it too much.

But when custom kernels for CM do come round, flashing is pretty simple, just boot into recovery and flash the .zip. -- just be careful setting voltages etc cause what works for others won't work for you sometimes and may bootloop your phone. (it can be fixed) - As for the shaking heads, I wouldn't worry too much, we all started somewhere :)
    Any ideas?

Go to Play Store, search for an app Check Fus, run it and post the screenshot. I will tell you what model do you have

Or use my app to check for the Model: Phone INFO
    Your phone is likely black N9005 for Australia XSA region

May be something wrong with your build.prop file. Check it and modify as need
    eta6e9ar.jpg

Use my app Phone INFO to check for the phone info instead.