Kitkat 4.4.2 Gallery/Camera fix

Search This thread

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
I've been going nuts on the latest CM11 nightly 4.4.2 with the camera not being able to save its pictures to your sd card automatically and also multiple crashes...some fixes I found, writing new permissions mostly just didn't work or wouldn't stick if you rebooted.

I now have 2 different optional APK file and INSTALL fixes...1st is just the camera apk which I ripped out of the liquidsmooth cm based kitkat 4.4.2 which works flawlessly. The 2nd is a gallery apk fix that I ripped out of the slimbean 4.3.1 rom and it reinstalls the gallery apk which also has its own camera that will install along with it...both fixes work, both camera's are slightly different from each other though and function differently based on the gallery that is installed

This method requires Titanium Backup...you can get it on the play store and the free version will work just fine
HERE'S THE CAMERA APK FIX:
-backup your systems "camera" app before doing anything! don't blame me for losing the camera if something fails
-once backed up, uninstall the camera app and if using titanium backup, move the backup files to another location out of the titanium folder located in your INTERNAL storage
-download the camera zip files I made here
-extract the zip file and you'll get a folder named "camera files"...copy and paste the files inside, do not extract any of these files, to your titanium backup folder located on your INTERNAL storage
-once copied over, open up titanium backup and look for the camera apk file with a line through it and should say beneath it "1 backup"...click on it, hit restore and choose app and data, that's it! it should now be there and fully functioning

HERE'S THE GALLERY APK FIX:
-backup your systems "gallery" and "camera" apps before doing anything! I won't be held responsible if this doesn't work for some users
-once backed up, uninstall the gallery and camera apps
-download the "com.android.gallery3d_1.1.40012.apk" file I made here
-install the apk file by simply clicking on it and choosing install, it shouldn't need any special permissions but if so, refer to next step
-install the gallery apk by using a root file manager (I use root browser lite) and move the apk file to system>app, change the permissions to rw-r--r-- then select "ok" and then install it and reboot. after reboot, you should now have your gallery back and a newer camera icon that is darker gray in color with a dark blue center camera lense, open the camera app
-go to it's settings>more settings and to the right you'll now see an sd card icon, click and select the sd card and test it out!! that's it

video of using root browser lite to change permissions...in the video, it's a silent screen recorded guideline, my app was already installed, so I highlighted the options that show how to change the permissions and then when I highlighted showing "cancel/view/uninstall", if it wasn't installed the option would say "cancel/view/install"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uow9OyLVGRI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

*Newly added!!*--reinstalling sprint zone and voicemail
to install, follow the exact same steps as installing the camera/gallery apk files

-voicemail apk link: com.coremobility.app.vnotes
-sprint zone apk link: com.sprint.zone_4.6.017

if this worked for you, please post up and let us all know

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
giving this thread a bump...i revised the apk installation steps since redoing this process after a few updates of cm11, they fixed the camera as far as adding the option for sdcard storage but I've been getting a lot of hang ups and crashes then "unable to retrieve camera" error messages when trying to open back up, even after a reboot.

I even installed today's release of the cm11 nightly and the camera was a crashing mess over and over, so for any having these camera issues, here you go!

Reactions: JohnRo

villaf7420

Jan 29, 2014
im wondering if i will ever be able to use the sprint voicemail. since i loaded carbon 4.4.2 and wondeing if there was any way of making it easy to make a call from your messaging by just sliding either right or left instead of tapping?
using sph-l710

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
im wondering if i will ever be able to use the sprint voicemail. since i loaded carbon 4.4.2 and wondeing if there was any way of making it easy to make a call from your messaging by just sliding either right or left instead of tapping?
using sph-l710

yes you can! I have done this already, I installed the voicemail and sprint zone apps on my cyanogenmod 11 4.4.2 and they work...I'll make apk's for them as well and post them up, give me a few

edit...all uploaded for you my man, just do exactly the same as I noted doing for the gallery app installation, where to place it and changing the permissions, any issues post back up

Last edited:
Reactions: villaf7420

ssmercurys

Jan 2, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Just wanted to say, tried most if not all AOSP roms and for some reason all of them freeze when switching back and forth. This is the only one that works 100%.
Thanks for the find.

Reactions: goku2778

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Just wanted to say, tried most if not all AOSP roms and for some reason all of them freeze when switching back and forth. This is the only one that works 100%.
Thanks for the find.

you're welcome and thanks for posting that it works! I kept having the same issues with the cameras on the cm11 and 10 roms, this 1 never failed me

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Just a heads up, the stock camera in slimkat (4.4.2 ROM) works perfectly, the devs fixed it on that rom

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

awesome, this camera apk I have listed here is from the slimbean 4.3.1 rom which is probably why it works perfectly on 4.4.2 slimkat, same devs

davidow

Sep 30, 2010
Houston Tx
thanks working on att gs3 on metropcs running unnofficial Beanstalk 4.4.2 rom 20140206 release... fix "cant connect to camera" error. Thanks again ;)

orgon3

Sep 24, 2013
Thanks so much! I first created a backup. I used root explorer for the whole thing. I tried uninstalling via TiBu first, but it didn't actually remove the camera and gallery apks. I then tried ES File Explorer, but that requires you to set root to Apps and ADB, and I had deselected ADB some time ago.. I downloaded the apk and copied it to /system/app. I then manually deleted the two apks, changed permissions on your apk and installed. Rebooted and works wonders. Thanks!

I would like to suggest a n00b-oriented, step-by-step guide.
1. Use your favorite recovery manager and back everything up. This way, you can always go back if you mess something up.
2. Download and install Root File Explorer (Free).
3. Launch Root File Explorer. It will ask to download and install a few tools. Let it.
4. Go to where you downloaded the file (probably sdcard/Download). Hold your finger on the name and select copy.
5. Press the "Home" icon on the bottom left of the screen.
6. Click on the folder named "system" and then click on the folder named "app".
7. Select paste to copy the file here.
8. Press and hold the newly copied file, and select "Permissions".
9. Set the permission to rw-r--r--, or 0644. In other words, select "Read" for all three, and then select "Write" for Owner. Everything else should be unchecked, and hit OK.
10. Scroll down and fine GoogleGallery.apk and GoogleCamera.apk. Select GoogleGallery.apk and press uninstall. Then long press the apk and delete it. Do the same for GoogleCamera.apk.
11. Find the new apk that you just downloaded (com.android.gallery3d_1.1.40012.apk) and press it. Select install.
12. Once installed, back out of everything and reboot your device. When the device reboots it will say it is updating 1 application.
13. You are now rebooted with the new, fixed, camera. The icon is now darker, and with a blueish/purpleish lens.
14. No, none of your files have been deleted. Enjoy your working camera!
15. Check out the new options! In the extended settings, you can now click on the SD card icon and instantly select to use your internal storage or your external SD card (if present) to save your photos to!
16.Give goku2778 your Thanks!

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
thread bump...newly added camera only apk and revised a bit of the initial part of the guide...enjoy!!

Reactions: davidow

LaRocky

Jan 3, 2013
unfortunately no it doesn't have that option. I did however find another camera apk that works, gonna upload that and link in here around 10am eastern time this morning.

Found this out last night, the camera that comes with the Gummy Nightly (AT&T Galaxy S3 Android Development forum) comes with a camera that has more settings and the shutter sound can be disabled via the android system settings/sound options. I don't know if the shutter sound option is always there in system settings as I didn't check the previous roms.

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Found this out last night, the camera that comes with the Gummy Nightly (AT&T Galaxy S3 Android Development forum) comes with a camera that has more settings and the shutter sound can be disabled via the android system settings/sound options. I don't know if the shutter sound option is always there in system settings as I didn't check the previous roms.

the other camera I listed does have more options to it if you wanna give it a try, can't hurt none, actually let me try it on mine right now see about the shutter sound....

nope, shutter stays on, it just gives the option to make the power button shutter (take the pic)...sorry man, I could care less about the shutter sound myself lol if I come across another 1 i'll bump this again, maybe I can find that gummy camera apk online and test it out

LaRocky

Jan 3, 2013
the other camera I listed does have more options to it if you wanna give it a try, can't hurt none, actually let me try it on mine right now see about the shutter sound....

nope, shutter stays on, it just gives the option to make the power button shutter (take the pic)...sorry man, I could care less about the shutter sound myself lol if I come across another 1 i'll bump this again, maybe I can find that gummy camera apk online and test it out

Thank you, I'll have to try it out. I have verified that the Shutter Sound option (under System Settings/Sound) is not available in another rom (Liquid Smooth) so it looks like the developer has to manually add the option (not built in to the camera). And Liquid Smooth's camera settings are detailed.

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Thank you, I'll have to try it out. I have verified that the Shutter Sound option (under System Settings/Sound) is not available in another rom (Liquid Smooth) so it looks like the developer has to manually add the option (not built in to the camera). And Liquid Smooth's camera settings are detailed.

been wanting to try that rom out myself, maybe I'll install that today and check out the camera...and then, rip it out also lol I'll bump the thread again if I do that :p

edit...so I've been to liquidsmooth and back lol same exact camera as the 1 I added yesterday, only differences is the system settings with more options like disabling the shutter sound. so I guess just stay on that rom for now for the shutter options, I tried lol

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Trying to do this fix on beanstalk on my galaxy s3, and when I try to install, I'm getting a parsing error. Any idea when I'm doing wrong?
I've backed up and uninstalled my original camera app, and moved the first linked camera app into my system/app folder. Changed the permissions to rwrr,and then when I try to install I get the parsing error.

weird...try this then, delete that out of the system folder, download it again and just open it and hit install, see what happens then...is this beanstalk 4.3 or 4.4? if it fails again, try the 2nd optional fix, that has been the more all around solid fix so far for both 4.3 and 4.4 roms

davidow

Sep 30, 2010
Houston Tx
Trying to do this fix on beanstalk on my galaxy s3, and when I try to install, I'm getting a parsing error. Any idea when I'm doing wrong?
I've backed up and uninstalled my original camera app, and moved the first linked camera app into my system/app folder. Changed the permissions to rwrr,and then when I try to install I get the parsing error.

Try this:
Uninstall stock camera.
Reboot.
Install goku camera apk.
Change permissions.
Convert to system app with titanium backup.
Reboot.
Hope this help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been going nuts on the latest CM11 nightly 4.4.2 with the camera not being able to save its pictures to your sd card automatically and also multiple crashes...some fixes I found, writing new permissions mostly just didn't work or wouldn't stick if you rebooted.

I now have 2 different optional APK file and INSTALL fixes...1st is just the camera apk which I ripped out of the liquidsmooth cm based kitkat 4.4.2 which works flawlessly. The 2nd is a gallery apk fix that I ripped out of the slimbean 4.3.1 rom and it reinstalls the gallery apk which also has its own camera that will install along with it...both fixes work, both camera's are slightly different from each other though and function differently based on the gallery that is installed

This method requires Titanium Backup...you can get it on the play store and the free version will work just fine
    HERE'S THE CAMERA APK FIX:
    -backup your systems "camera" app before doing anything! don't blame me for losing the camera if something fails
    -once backed up, uninstall the camera app and if using titanium backup, move the backup files to another location out of the titanium folder located in your INTERNAL storage
    -download the camera zip files I made here
    -extract the zip file and you'll get a folder named "camera files"...copy and paste the files inside, do not extract any of these files, to your titanium backup folder located on your INTERNAL storage
    -once copied over, open up titanium backup and look for the camera apk file with a line through it and should say beneath it "1 backup"...click on it, hit restore and choose app and data, that's it! it should now be there and fully functioning

HERE'S THE GALLERY APK FIX:
    -backup your systems "gallery" and "camera" apps before doing anything! I won't be held responsible if this doesn't work for some users
    -once backed up, uninstall the gallery and camera apps
    -download the "com.android.gallery3d_1.1.40012.apk" file I made here
    -install the apk file by simply clicking on it and choosing install, it shouldn't need any special permissions but if so, refer to next step
    -install the gallery apk by using a root file manager (I use root browser lite) and move the apk file to system>app, change the permissions to rw-r--r-- then select "ok" and then install it and reboot. after reboot, you should now have your gallery back and a newer camera icon that is darker gray in color with a dark blue center camera lense, open the camera app
    -go to it's settings>more settings and to the right you'll now see an sd card icon, click and select the sd card and test it out!! that's it

video of using root browser lite to change permissions...in the video, it's a silent screen recorded guideline, my app was already installed, so I highlighted the options that show how to change the permissions and then when I highlighted showing "cancel/view/uninstall", if it wasn't installed the option would say "cancel/view/install"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uow9OyLVGRI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

*Newly added!!*--reinstalling sprint zone and voicemail
    to install, follow the exact same steps as installing the camera/gallery apk files

-voicemail apk link: com.coremobility.app.vnotes
    -sprint zone apk link: com.sprint.zone_4.6.017

if this worked for you, please post up and let us all know
    Just a heads up, the stock camera in slimkat (4.4.2 ROM) works perfectly, the devs fixed it on that rom

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    giving this thread a bump...i revised the apk installation steps since redoing this process after a few updates of cm11, they fixed the camera as far as adding the option for sdcard storage but I've been getting a lot of hang ups and crashes then "unable to retrieve camera" error messages when trying to open back up, even after a reboot.

I even installed today's release of the cm11 nightly and the camera was a crashing mess over and over, so for any having these camera issues, here you go!
    using sph-l710

yes you can! I have done this already, I installed the voicemail and sprint zone apps on my cyanogenmod 11 4.4.2 and they work...I'll make apk's for them as well and post them up, give me a few

edit...all uploaded for you my man, just do exactly the same as I noted doing for the gallery app installation, where to place it and changing the permissions, any issues post back up
    Thanks for the find.