sold nexus 4 yesterday in perfect condition, guy tells me today it's not working

Search This thread

subxero123

Aug 17, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Its been in perfect condition, its hard to believe it just stopped working

Only thing I can think of, I didn't update to kit Kat, did updating ever cause screen responsiveness for any of u? He updated and says its not working.
Telling me there's a crack on the screen when I gave it to him in perfect condition

What should I do? His stories really shady, he's asking for his money back, but I'm pretty sure he did something to make it stop working, either dropped it in snow or something because its been working perfectly, even showed it in front of him

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

lndulgence

Feb 5, 2014
Not found
Buyer's fault on this one. He should have checked the unit thoroughly before closing the deal. A crack is easily noticeable, he could have noticed it when you show him the unit, so why just now?

(btw, is it cash on delivery or shipping transaction?)

Last edited:

subxero123

Aug 17, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
He checked it before he bought it, everything was working perfectly, he knows my address, I'm scared he'll call the cops and lie that I scammed him

Sorry for duplicate threads

vencc

Nov 15, 2011
You may be held liable to a certain degree. If you say the phone was in 100% working order and was in mint condition without a scratch/crack and he inspected it himself finding nothing then it's his negligence. However, if the phone suddenly stopped working a day after, and suddenly "died" on him without him tempering with it, then you may be held responsible due to a innocent misrepresentation.

I have no reason to believe he is a crook and possibly switched your phone to a different already broken one, and is just looking to scam you. Not much people are that low, and hopefully you have some type of background knowledge of him before you did the exchange. If you have the IMEI Number/Seriel Number of your phone still, I'd ask him to send that information back to you to ensure it's the same phone.

The worst that can happen if he called the cops is you would have to give him his money back, and he can't press any charges on you due to the innocent misrepresentation tort.

edit: I don't think you should be concerned at all to be honest, you can try to help him if you're tech savvy and guide him through Odin his phone back to stock, but if its a hardware problem, it's most likely his fault for dropping it or something.

Last edited:

subxero123

Aug 17, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
No it was in perfect condition, I showed it to him, I saw it before too, everything's working, he definitely did something to it, and yeah it was a teenager

subxero123

Aug 17, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
He just called again, asking if we could meet up today, but I'm at work, pretty sure he'll just show outside my house tomorrow even if I say no, what should I do?
I gave him literally a brand new nexus 4
And he's gonna give me a broken one back

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
This is a tough call. I'm not sure how much he paid for the phone but it may be simpler just to refund the purchase price and eat the loss just to have peace of mind. If you take it back, make sure the imei matches the phone you sold.

How long did the buyer have the phone before contacting you?

hypertech

Jan 18, 2014
if what you wrote is complete and real, then in that case, I would not give the money back to the person for these reasons.

1. worked when he bought it.
2. he inspected it, it was in mint condition, now it have a crack.
3. crack doesnt appear by magic.

tell him, if he want hes money back, then he have to give back the items in the exact same condition, thats mean, mint condition, without any crack or defect.

Last edited:
Reactions: dankatz1

subxero123

Aug 17, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Of course what I wrote is real, and I've decided I'm not giving him his money back unless he gives the phone in the exact same condition I gave it, which was perfect

Reactions: IndianKarmas

snapper.fishes

Aug 7, 2010
Hong Kong
If he wants his money back and you refuse, there's nothing he can do except to take you to court. The police has no reason to deal with this kind of issues (except to try to persuade you to settle it because the other guy is bugging them). Personal safety however is another issue entirely. If he keeps on calling you or even show up at your doorstep, you can call the police to and tell them that you feel threatened by his actions. Unfortunately, if he does decide to attack you, you are going to have to learn to defence yourself. Therefore, next time don't give anyone your home or work address.

dmoss74

Feb 26, 2013
this is a cautionary tale of how to (and not to) sell a phone. i go through phones like underwear, and i can tell you that covering your own butt is the easiest way to avoid these unfortunate situations.

first off: NEVER have someone to your home. you never know who you're dealing with. secondly, make sure that the person fully checks out the phone, and is completely satisfied with what they are buying BEFORE they leave. unfortunately, a lot of people get buyer's remorse, and expect you to just refund the money to them, despite you selling an item that was properly described.

when selling a phone, i always make sure to overstate any possible problems, even if they don't really exist. i feel it's better to be as up front as possible. that way the persons are usually surprised at how much better the phone actually is.

i just sold an unlocked phone to a guy a few weeks ago, and was with him for ten minutes as he went over the phone. i plainly asked him to make sure if he had any problems now, since this was a no refund sale. he said all was good, and paid me. well, five hours later i get a text from him saying the phone doesn't work, and he wants his money back. it was an unlocked g2, and he said it wasn't getting any data with his tmobile plan.

i reminded him that he had looked at it for a good while, and assured me he had no problems with it. at this point, there was nothing i could do. apparently he had checked out the phone with the wifi on, and hadn't tried the data plan. i also did all the requisite checking on google (something he wouldn't do himself) and had discovered that all he had to do was call tmobile and get the proper apn settings so that he would get the data working.

from that point he claimed he was a moron, and that he didn't even know how to do that. after i laughed at him for that response, i reminded him to take a deep breath, absorb what i had told him, and to fix the problem himself. it was not my responsibility to show him how to do that, and the extra time i took to find this out was above and beyond anything i should have been expected to do for this sale.

he eventually stopped texting me, and i assume he went ahead and made the adjustments on his own.

but i would NEVER have someone meet me in my home, for various reasons; but the main one is what you are looking at now.

from now on (after my last experience) i am going to make the person sign a contract stating that the phone was sold as described, and that they fully checked it out before buying it. i know there are shady people out there...those that buy, and sell. you need to cover your bases as best you can.

Last edited:

bobola

Oct 30, 2009
Vancouver
I think you be fine.
No one would believe him.

Who in the right mind would've purchase a phone with a crack in the first place.

The screen is unresponsive AFTER he updated.
It was perfectly fine before the update. So obviously he screwed up with the update.
So he should not be seeking support from you. Is not your fault.

Is a private sale, there no refund or warranty.

But hope you learn something. Don't use your home or even workplace as a place to meet up random stranger to buy/sell.

Like what other said: Safety first, call police if you see him linger around your place!

Last edited:

IndianKarmas

Jan 26, 2013
Of course what I wrote is real, and I've decided I'm not giving him his money back unless he gives the phone in the exact same condition I gave it, which was perfect

As everyone else said, there's nothing really person could do...BUT most importantly....DONT EVER EVER invite strangers to your place....I am sure there are lots of Tim Hortons around where u can meetup in Brampton.

If you had images on your ad that you might have sent him you might be lucky...but even if u dont...no biggy...for him to convince anyone that u sold him cracked screen without him knowing is just plain dumb n stupid on his part.....

all u have to deal with is...him nagging u at ur place (phone/text etc u can block through various apps), except for that u should be good. dont be scared about it. u could tell him things as is & not to bother u again!

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
Do not give back the money. I wouldnt care much if he knows where i live. Big deal anyway. When you gave the phone it was in perfect condition and was working. Why did he bother messing with the software if he is noob? Ask him to give the phone back in the exact condition as it was sold and he can have his money back. If not, avoid him. Let him call the cops; in fact let him call the army. Its not your fault. Last year, I remember an idiot broke my tablet and he was trying to blame it on me. Btw, you don't have to pick up his call right away; just tell him to call you only certain time in a day as you are working.

If I see him around my place; I would just call the cops and explain the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is a cautionary tale of how to (and not to) sell a phone. i go through phones like underwear, and i can tell you that covering your own butt is the easiest way to avoid these unfortunate situations.

first off: NEVER have someone to your home. you never know who you're dealing with. secondly, make sure that the person fully checks out the phone, and is completely satisfied with what they are buying BEFORE they leave. unfortunately, a lot of people get buyer's remorse, and expect you to just refund the money to them, despite you selling an item that was properly described.

when selling a phone, i always make sure to overstate any possible problems, even if they don't really exist. i feel it's better to be as up front as possible. that way the persons are usually surprised at how much better the phone actually is.

i just sold an unlocked phone to a guy a few weeks ago, and was with him for ten minutes as he went over the phone. i plainly asked him to make sure if he had any problems now, since this was a no refund sale. he said all was good, and paid me. well, five hours later i get a text from him saying the phone doesn't work, and he wants his money back. it was an unlocked g2, and he said it wasn't getting any data with his tmobile plan.

i reminded him that he had looked at it for a good while, and assured me he had no problems with it. at this point, there was nothing i could do. apparently he had checked out the phone with the wifi on, and hadn't tried the data plan. i also did all the requisite checking on google (something he wouldn't do himself) and had discovered that all he had to do was call tmobile and get the proper apn settings so that he would get the data working.

from that point he claimed he was a moron, and that he didn't even know how to do that. after i laughed at him for that response, i reminded him to take a deep breath, absorb what i had told him, and to fix the problem himself. it was not my responsibility to show him how to do that, and the extra time i took to find this out was above and beyond anything i should have been expected to do for this sale.

he eventually stopped texting me, and i assume he went ahead and made the adjustments on his own.

but i would NEVER have someone meet me in my home, for various reasons; but the main one is what you are looking at now.

from now on (after my last experience) i am going to make the person sign a contract stating that the phone was sold as described, and that they fully checked it out before buying it. i know there are shady people out there...those that buy, and sell. you need to cover your bases as best you can.
    if what you wrote is complete and real, then in that case, I would not give the money back to the person for these reasons.

1. worked when he bought it.
    2. he inspected it, it was in mint condition, now it have a crack.
    3. crack doesnt appear by magic.

tell him, if he want hes money back, then he have to give back the items in the exact same condition, thats mean, mint condition, without any crack or defect.