[APP] NubDial - Smart Dialer for Android

Search This thread

zjchaser

Apr 27, 2007
OC, CA
www.akuasolutions.com
51b...: Try 1.51 on the Market, pretty sure it's fixed now :)

great work. I've been using the hidialer pretty extensively as a replacement for the stock dialer but this is becoming my favorite.

One of the features of hidialer and of previous dialers I used on Wimo platforms was that the recent calls list was what was shown by default when you open it up. Hidialer works that way and it is VERY handy.

Also removing the need to type # for a space would be cool so you could just type the first name then start the last name.

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
i agree. I think showing recent call log upon open is far more convenient, and then if we want to browse contacts we could have a button on the side or somthing. :)

that would be killer :)

slimfady

Jul 13, 2009
i agree. I think showing recent call log upon open is far more convenient, and then if we want to browse contacts we could have a button on the side or somthing. :)

that would be killer :)

+1

Giving priority when searching to recent calls in the log would be a killer feature

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
I'd do it if i'd more time :p

Update: 1.6 out. Contact pictures :).

Last edited:

PAO1908

Nov 8, 2008
Near zurich
Thanks for the update, I have an issue with the pictures: I only see pictures from contacts that are not linked to a facebook account.

proengin

Dec 18, 2006
Hi Wysie,

Your 1.6 has just become my default Dialer after nice addition of "Call Log" to menu.

Sorry to nag you on these, but:

1. Is it possible to optionally allow "back to dialer" and "back to contact" after call instead of "call log" only?
2. Currently, the last dialed number if it was directly dialed from dialer is shown on display after call if stepped back from call log screen. Can this be extended to the numbers from contacts as well?

Thanks

Patrick

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
just updated. theres 2 problems i can notice now. Contact pictures isnt working (all contacts are facebook sync'd), and going to call log isnt very cool. as goin to call log has the phone tab, which take you to the default dialer. once you can set call log to be the default upon launch i think you should lose the shortcut/link.

Jan 10, 2010
Warsaw
Guys, I don't think that an app which has to have your permission to make a call can change the behaviour of a whole OS, i.e. override the default action of going to the call log after you hang up.

With 1.6 this has made it to my home screen (even with the fugly icon). Wysie kudos. Now this app is not only replacing the dialer but also the stock contacts app. We can initiate a text from it, yay!

T9+dashes highlighting bug persists.

at314

Aug 24, 2008
Dubai
nice app, i gave it 5 stars, but please can you add recent call log at top of the list and after that a separator which separate call logs from contacts.

thanks and good job

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Suggestion: Please make it search through call log as well. (now only contacts)

Last edited:

Aviz71

Jan 22, 2009
great piece of app! it just took the place of standard "phone" app on my home screen!
keep on the good job you're doing please!!! :)

mgear356

Jun 13, 2008
bro wonderful stuff!
feels good using sg products..

May I add in some suggestions to make it even better...
- Add Speeddial (long press a number to dial a assigned contact?)
- Give options to show default number only and hide the rest
- integrate with call log

if all these is made possible, I will uninstall acontacts and use yrs =)
bro no chance for theses?

Iman07

Jul 11, 2007
not loving the icon at all but it works great! perhaps u can do a version with a stock dialer icon or maybe someone can do it? kinda ruining the homescreen cleanness. anyway, thanks for a great app!!

illojal

Feb 4, 2010
Put together a little patch to define no title in XML so it doesn't show at launch at all. See the attachment.

This is my first patch ever :)

Attachments

• no_title.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 9

carnegie0107

Jul 26, 2009
Springytown
not loving the icon at all but it works great! perhaps u can do a version with a stock dialer icon or maybe someone can do it? kinda ruining the homescreen cleanness. anyway, thanks for a great app!!

Wysie (in his awesomeness) heeded my request and allowed this app to catch the dialer's intent. This means that you can have the stock icon if you download "SMS Unread Count" from the Market, and put the widget on your homescreen. You have to choose the dialer type, instead of the messaging type, and set the icon to eclair. Then it will look exactly like the stock icon (but with a tiny number on it if you have any unviewed missed calls), and can launch NubDial.

Much honor and praise to Wysie!

Iman07

Jul 11, 2007
Wysie (in his awesomeness) heeded my request and allowed this app to catch the dialer's intent. This means that you can have the stock icon if you download "SMS Unread Count" from the Market, and put the widget on your homescreen. You have to choose the dialer type, instead of the messaging type, and set the icon to eclair. Then it will look exactly like the stock icon (but with a tiny number on it if you have any unviewed missed calls), and can launch NubDial.

Much honor and praise to Wysie!

YOU ROCK!! thank you so much!

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
mgear356: I'm looking at them but it'll take some time. Very busy with sch work :(.
illojal: Thanks for the patch! :) If you're interested in committing to the SVN directly let me know.
carnegie0107, Iman07: Thanks :D.

Other stuff:
Just in case some of you didn't know, 1.7 is out on the Market. Dialpad is now auto-hideable :p. Fling up or down to show/hide it.

I'm looking at integrating Call log but am stuck. Anyone with programming experience in Android care to tell me how I can UNION 2 queries, one to CallLog.Calls.CONTENT_URI and the other to Phone.CONTENT_URI?

Lastly, I'm still hoping someone will be nice and awesome enough with graphics to make better ones for NubDial (including the icon) :p. Do PM/post in here if you are interested!

zjchaser

Apr 27, 2007
OC, CA
www.akuasolutions.com
Wysie, I love the new update!

Thanks so much for working on this, when you get the call log to default working then hidialer is gone.

I have had one FC issue that you might want to know about. I was just punching in numbers and combos testing and for some reason everytime I hit 322 or 333 it FCs. totally weird, I have not rebooted it or anything to test yet but I thought I'd give the heads up.

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
zjchaser: I think some of your names have foreign characters? Could you type "32" and let me know the return results?

As I said, I too would like to have call log, and I have no idea how HiDialer did it. Tried SuperDial and the rest and realized they used 2 separate displays (which I rather not have), while HiDialer integrates them. Have been asking around but no help so far :(

illojal

Feb 4, 2010
illojal: Thanks for the patch! :) If you're interested in committing to the SVN directly let me know.

No, not at the time. I don't think I can handle merge issues etc. :)

I'm looking at integrating Call log but am stuck. Anyone with programming experience in Android care to tell me how I can UNION 2 queries, one to CallLog.Calls.CONTENT_URI and the other to Phone.CONTENT_URI?!

How do you want it to work, should the search also provide results in the call log? Or are you just looking to be able to display the call log?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

This project started out as my basic mod of SpellDial (by Lawrence Greenfield, thanks for making it open-source) initially, but I've since made quite a number of changes to it.

It is now able to search by both name and number, and you can always use the "#" key to denote a space. Most of the other changes I made are under the hood, but I've attached a few screenshots so you know what you're getting.

Lastly, there are a couple of bugs, among them I believe it only works properly with Nexus One. I've yet to finish up all the mdpi images, and I've also not updated the code for SDK3/4 and below (Cupcake, Donut).

Download: Search "NubDial" on the Android Market.
    Source: http://code.google.com/p/nubdial/

Request/Help Needed:
    I hope that this will become a community project (but I doubt I'll be able to do much since sch's getting really bz), and would appreciate if someone could come up with a nicer design that still fits the Android look :). If you have, please post your mock-up or send them to me :), actual 9-patch/images will be awesome.

Change Log:
    1.82:
    Added patch by seidler2547 to support accented characters.
    Added patch by qingcai to speed up performance (I changed the delay slightly).
    Should not show up on Donut/Cupcake Markets anymore.

1.81:
    Fixed another FC bug. Thanks to xiutian for running the test version and providing me with logs :)!

1.8:
    Fixed a FC bug when searching for some contacts.

1.7:
    Added pref to auto-hide the dialpad on fling action :).
    Also, fling up/down on the dialpad to show/hide it.

1.6:
    QuickContacts picture :)

1.51:
    Fixed hyphen bug again.

1.5:
    Added "Add to contacts" to Menu options
    Highlighting now works across dashes (Please report)
    Able to set as default Dial app now (Tested with SMS widget)
    Enabled fast scroll for the contacts list (similar to default contacts, you've the fat tab to hold and drag down)

1.4:
    Fixes a regression bug with name matching
    *Should* fix hyphen bug

1.3:
    Added preference to match any number sequence, not just from the start

1.2:
    Bug fixes

1.1/1.0:
    I forgot :p

To Do:
    Add menus to go Contacts/Logs/Favourites
    Add 2-sec pause/etc.
    Implement features to Donut/Cupcake (Low-priority)

Known Bugs:
    Long pressing on menu for the soft keyboard messes up the layout. Any ideas?