[Q] CWM Wipe cache - huge problem

Search This thread

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
Alright, I hope I have this in the right place. I just recently flashed the TerraSilent Kernel for the Galaxy Player 4.0 US version. The Flash went fine, but my device was running extremely slowly. A re-flash didn't solve it either. I figured that wiping the cache partition might solve the problem - I decided to do this before running a backup, since no important data is stored in the cache (...right?), and since I was worried that backing up while I had this problem could make things worse - so I went ahead into CWM and did just that. Then, it reboots, and I nearly get a heart attack. The stock wallpaper is back, it's using the default launcher again (I had LauncherPro installed), and pretty much only system apps work, all the others have an icon with an SD card on it, and when clicked on, it says something like "application not installed". I did some searching, and it seemed like a reboot might help (although I didn't find anyone with a problem like mine anywhere). The reboot didn't do anything, so now I have it shut down, so that nothing can happen. The odd thing is, it doesn't seem to me like the system messed up and did a full wipe instead, either, because a couple of things I have are still there - for example, some of my bookmarks I made on the homescreen while still using the default launcher are still there. I'm really confused because I have wiped the cache partition before, when I was still on an unmodified stock kernel, and everything stayed the same, the way I thought it was supposed to. And now this happens. What do I do now? I exported my absolute most important data (Astrid Tasks and Calendar) before I installed TerraSilent (but I obviously wasn't able to do a full backup because I wasn't rooted, I figured installing TerraSilent would root it), so my absolute most important data is on my computer. I also did a simple file backup of the internal USB storage and external SD card to another computer before flashing TerraSilent. However, there is still a good deal of data still need, and a lot of data that would just be a pain in the rear to recreate, not to mention my (valuable to me) game data. What did I do wrong - or did something in the system mess up? And - what do I do to get back to where I was before?

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
It happened to me when I was on gingerbread with terrasilent. It's a known issue with this kernel. In fact, you didn't wipe the data, but the recovery contain a bug wich format the data as soon as you do an operation wich mount the data partition(I think it's this but I can't remind) but it doesn't wipe the system or anythin else, so the icon, setting and everything else stay there but without anything attach to them. I don't remind what was causing it, I only stopped using cwm with this kernel unless I wanted to flash something or to wipe everything. Sorry but I can't help you more as I don't remind everything, it's been a while since I've been on gingerbread.

Reactions: trainman261

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
It happened to me when I was on gingerbread with terrasilent. It's a known issue with this kernel. In fact, you didn't wipe the data, but the recovery contain a bug wich format the data as soon as you do an operation wich mount the data partition(I think it's this but I can't remind) but it doesn't wipe the system or anythin else, so the icon, setting and everything else stay there but without anything attach to them. I don't remind what was causing it, I only stopped using cwm with this kernel unless I wanted to flash something or to wipe everything. Sorry but I can't help you more as I don't remind everything, it's been a while since I've been on gingerbread.

Wasn't that problem solved with a later version of the kernel though?
And, assuming that's what happened (what you describe sounds pretty much like what happened to me), would that mean that the only way to try and get it back would be by trying to recover the formatted data?

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
And, assuming that's what happened (what you describe sounds pretty much like what happened to me), would that mean that the only way to try and get it back would be by trying to recover the formatted data?

It was said to be resolved, but it happened to some peoples even thought. Maybe you can recover some of your data with your computer and some tools that let you get the erased data, but I can't guarantee the integrity of your data and you would need to replace every bit of data that was there before to get it running nicely. The easiest way would be to try to recover some of your important data, put it on your computer then wipe your player and start from scratch (wipe data/factory reset) and reinstall your apps. Then put back the save, or setting or files that you got back in your apps. Hope this help, I'm not a proffessional with data recovering or where to put it back after you got it, maybe someone else could further help you with this.

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
And the conclusion...

It was said to be resolved, but it happened to some peoples even thought. Maybe you can recover some of your data with your computer and some tools that let you get the erased data, but I can't guarantee the integrity of your data and you would need to replace every bit of data that was there before to get it running nicely. The easiest way would be to try to recover some of your important data, put it on your computer then wipe your player and start from scratch (wipe data/factory reset) and reinstall your apps. Then put back the save, or setting or files that you got back in your apps. Hope this help, I'm not a proffessional with data recovering or where to put it back after you got it, maybe someone else could further help you with this.

OK, my reply is late, but thanks for your help. I managed to copy the partition with all the deleted contents over to the computer, and I'll have to study the contents some other time, because I've spent about 24+ hours on this problem in total, and need my device for more important purposes - those for which the data I managed to copy before the custom kernel and everything else. For those of you who have a similar issue, this is how I managed to save (or that is I am 95% sure this will have saved at least some, as I said I haven't studied it yet) what I hope is a good chunk of my data.

obscuresword

Jun 24, 2012
Have you tried flashing a different kernel? Terrasilent also gave me some weird in that after a few days my device would boot into recovery by itself then wipe all my data in that only my system apps would remain. So it's a little different than what's happened to you. I ended up using klin's R3 kernel or Steven's kernel that fixed the issue.

Sent from my YP-G1 using xda app-developers app

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
Have you tried flashing a different kernel? Terrasilent also gave me some weird in that after a few days my device would boot into recovery by itself then wipe all my data in that only my system apps would remain. So it's a little different than what's happened to you. I ended up using klin's R3 kernel or Steven's kernel that fixed the issue.

I've got huge issue with steve's kernel. You can get into recovery, but once you booted in it will simply bootloop. Then you have to flash back with odin. So if you go with steve's kernel, don't boot into recovery. As for klin's kernel, I've never tried it, and will probably never as we have some really nice jellybean rom that I recommend you.

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012

Actually, with my problem, my system apps did remain, so it's almost the same problem, only my device didn't boot into recovery on its own (seriously, it booted into recovery on its own and wiped the data? :eek: ). I only installed the terrasilent kernel to be able to upgrade to JB, so I'm now on JB, running into different problem (the wrong settings are being backed up from google backup, they're restoring from my galaxy mini 2), but thanks anyway. I am really not having any luck at all with this whole update :p . But ti-pich, I agree with you, that JB rom is awesome :)

Last edited:

obscuresword

Jun 24, 2012
Actually, with my problem, my system apps did remain, so it's almost the same problem, only my device didn't boot into recovery on its own (seriously, it booted into recovery on its own and wiped the data? :eek: ). I only installed the terrasilent kernel to be able to upgrade to JB, so I'm now on JB, running into different problem (the wrong settings are being backed up from google backup, they're restoring from my galaxy mini 2), but thanks anyway. I am really not having any luck at all with this whole update :p . But ti-pich, I agree with you, that JB rom is awesome :)

Yes it did, after 1 week. I was like ???. I reflashed it again and it did the same exact thing, and it happened to me while I was at my college too.
I also had that same issue where it was restoring from the wrong device. I just had to reflash the rom, and install stuff manually because it was making my device horribly slow.

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
Yes it did, after 1 week. I was like ???. I reflashed it again and it did the same exact thing, and it happened to me while I was at my college too.
I also had that same issue where it was restoring from the wrong device. I just had to reflash the rom, and install stuff manually because it was making my device horribly slow.

Wow that is some scary stuff, now I know why every kernel/ROM/mod has a disclaimer at the beginning :p ... I'm glad I'm off that now and on a stable JB build now. I found a way to have it restore at least some of the stuff from when it was on gingerbread (mostly apps and appdata, no WiFi passwords or other settings - at least I'm pretty sure, I'm still working on getting all the stuff up and running) - go into a terminal, and type
Code:
bmgr list sets
It will probably have two different sets, one for when it was on GB and one for JB - or that is, if you had the problem, there will probably be a third set for a different device (maybe more). Then, choose the one you want to restore from, and type
Code:
bmgr restore xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and replace xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the apropriate ID from the command before. I'm having to type it several times in order to get it to work - I type it once, it restores some apps, then stops, I type it again, and it restores some more - but I'm hoping it gets as much possible onto the JB build. I guess this won't help you much, I've seen you saying on the ICS and JB threads that you've upgraded a while ago, but I guess if someone else comes along with the same problem, I hope it will help :)

klemmaniac

Jul 24, 2014
Wow that is some scary stuff, now I know why every kernel/ROM/mod has a disclaimer at the beginning :p ... I'm glad I'm off that now and on a stable JB build now. I found a way to have it restore at least some of the stuff from when it was on gingerbread (mostly apps and appdata, no WiFi passwords or other settings - at least I'm pretty sure, I'm still working on getting all the stuff up and running) - go into a terminal, and type
Code:
bmgr list sets
It will probably have two different sets, one for when it was on GB and one for JB - or that is, if you had the problem, there will probably be a third set for a different device (maybe more). Then, choose the one you want to restore from, and type
Code:
bmgr restore xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and replace xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the apropriate ID from the command before. I'm having to type it several times in order to get it to work - I type it once, it restores some apps, then stops, I type it again, and it restores some more - but I'm hoping it gets as much possible onto the JB build. I guess this won't help you much, I've seen you saying on the ICS and JB threads that you've upgraded a while ago, but I guess if someone else comes along with the same problem, I hope it will help :)

hmmm. I'm about to try Terrasilent with my YP-G1 (US version) running 2.3.6. This is giving me second thoughts. Does this kernel still cause issues with SGP 4.0s running GB 2.3.6?? Maybe I should try the old Steves Kernel? I just want to use voodoo sound - thats really the only reason I want to root and get these kernels.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've got huge issue with steve's kernel. You can get into recovery, but once you booted in it will simply bootloop. Then you have to flash back with odin. So if you go with steve's kernel, don't boot into recovery. As for klin's kernel, I've never tried it, and will probably never as we have some really nice jellybean rom that I recommend you.