[DEV] Overclocking the GPU !!

Search This thread

atomfix

May 2, 2010
Caerphilly
Fstluxe,

First of all Thank you!! this is the Time and way to Inspire the devs that have the knowledge ,letting them bring this amazing Patch to the desire and maybe all the android Phones ! Great thank you for awaking the community..

So developers Please Come on Just try this out please!! i will putt my money on THIS project!!!!!

I will also put money on this also: D
-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I've looked into this. The GPU's clock is currently based on ebi1 and it's locked with no divider, from what I understand. But it is probably possible to change that.

I'm looking into the Liquid kernel source to see what's different, but I have not looked into this issue in depth at all. I doubt they're running it at a higher clock speed.

edit: meh... the download on Acer's site is corrupted.

edit: we could find some way to modify the grp_clk, that's what they are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: sffmandrake

fstluxe

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Guys,

See it like this: If we are able to overclock that means that we we also Could UNDERCLOCK!! in conditions that a fast gpu not needed! this also means It can save some battery! and when you need the performance you can simply Overclock it so we just need some smart one that knows how to manipulate the
grp_clk in the kernel..,and then making an app for editing the sys/module/clock_7x00/parameters/gpu for simply editing Freq!! :)

correct me if I'm wrong..

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
Guys,

See it like this: If we are able to overclock that means that we we also Could UNDERCLOCK!! in conditions that a fast gpu not needed! this also means It can save some battery! and when you need the performance you can simply Overclock it so we just need some smart one that knows how to manipulate the
grp_clk in the kernel..,and then making an app for editing the sys/module/clock_7x00/parameters/gpu for simply editing Freq!! :)

correct me if I'm wrong..
That's the plan. I'm just wondering how far coolbho3000 has gotten in terms of changing the grp_clk variable in the kernel. Then again I'm wondering how we're gonna be able to change the frequency (/sys/module/clock/? Hexadecimal values? Etc.)
And then again, I'm wondering if coolbho3000 wants to write the app himself instead of me.
@coolbho, if you have made some progress, feel free to contact me.

B

b1oh4zard

that would be damn useful. my desire gas gpu lags on homescreen when
using sense. thats the only thing why i changed to stock valilla.

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

madman_cro

May 14, 2009
i think lag is caused by sense bad programing. like sense contacts. try to scroll down and the last couple of contacts will lag. same thing with the sense launcher(last couple of programs will stuter)

zlivan

Nov 16, 2009
Belgrade
So true, and the worst app is Messaging. Scrolling through a message thread is painfully choppy. Wherever you can see those rounded text boxes it gets like that. Bad programming at its finest.

M4cr0s

Dec 5, 2007
So true, and the worst app is Messaging. Scrolling through a message thread is painfully choppy. Wherever you can see those rounded text boxes it gets like that. Bad programming at its finest.

The messaging apps lag is kind of interesting. The 3rd party messaging apps such as Handcent and ChompSMS improves scrolling with many messages by adding a button "see older/see more" messages. The stock HTC app don't, it loads everything. I dunno if that's necessarily down to bad coding as the amount of messages clearly play a role. Regardless, with 12k + messages like I have, the HTC messaging app is kind of useless ;) Contacts though, is smooth and not laggy at all. I only have some 300 contacts though.

Mac

zlivan

Nov 16, 2009
Belgrade
It has to be. I have maybe 300 messages and my guess is that it lags just the same. It doesn't matter if a conversation thread has only two or three messages, it scrolls just as bad as the ones with much more.

It has to do something with those custom rounded lists/boxes. Same goes for Peep. When you get to the point in the list where date changes and you see those rounded edges - it gets slightly choppy. There must be some unnecessary redrawing or whatever going on.

Or, try putting a dozen of contacts into Favorites and scroll that ;) That's a short list and it scrolls like crap. Bad coding for sure :)

Edit: And what really bothers me is that someone put such lousy implentation straight to production instead of finding a better solution...

Last edited:

Daelyn

Dec 17, 2006
Basically we're screwed :/

An inside connect at Qualcomm has told us we can't change the GPU clock from userland or kernel. That mean's we're screwed basically. Here is the post by Jack_R1:

Checked, as promised. Bad news. If I sum it up in one sentence - GPU overclock w/o touching the rest of the system is plain impossible, and GPU overclock while trying to play with the whole system is most probably still impossible (pending further deeper check), and it's definitely impossible for anyone that doesn't have the clock diagram, which is NDA, thus won't be available. The reason isn't software, and don't ask, what it is - I won't give direct explanations.

I've written a long post with some explanations of clock networks, to educate those that want to learn and prevent some of big mistakes that I've seen along this thread, and it's pending approval, since I don't want to accidentally spill more than I can share. I hope it gets approved and I'll post it. It should give some more insight.

The only good news is - global overclocking that affects 1GHz CPU clock will affect GPU too.

Snapped from geniusdog254 @
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=710850

hiVe

Aug 19, 2008
Okay, so if the global OC affects the GPU too, how much of a improvement [in 3D] are we looking at? [for instance having the CPU clocked to 1.267ghz]

lambrospower

Jul 5, 2009
Nicosia
www.mastergenius.net
i want to ask.....why everyone overclocks at 1.267ghz ????
did anyone tried further ????
The Droid from 550mhz went up to 1ghz stable (450mhz increase)
Desire from 1ghz to 1.2ghz (only 200mhz)

is the sanpdragon unstable further or noone tried ????

fstluxe

Sep 15, 2009
New York

the desire/HD2 qsd chipsets have done 1.5ghz + , but there is nor performance increase, since the memory bus cant go higher.

Reactions: bransyeah

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a look at this link

The GPU has been overclocked to 200 MHZ result from stock 25 fps to 36.5...

The desire(+-27FPS neocore) has the AMD Z430 GPU wich is also on the acer Liquid running at much higher 34,6 FPS @ the same resolution 800x480 but UC cpu768 MHZ although it still preforms much higher on neocore !

I'm sure that some of you developers with the knowledge are prepared figuring this out to get the desire GPU preforming better !..

(tnx to beidl) for those who're trying to find the changes: http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/m...8a6a0dfe5ba912
    for those who're trying to find the changes: http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/...;hpb=110e73c591db3fd23d8558659f8a6a0dfe5ba912
    looks like only some parameters and 2 functions (pc_clk_enable and pc_clk_disable) were changed.
    I don't have much experience with kernel developing, I'm just a stupid java dev. lol
    But I'd like to see this added to the 2.6.32.9 kernels, and since we would be able to
    change the clock frequency somewhere in /sys/module/clock/, something like a "SetGPU" would be a nice project to do. :)
    I've looked into this. The GPU's clock is currently based on ebi1 and it's locked with no divider, from what I understand. But it is probably possible to change that.

I'm looking into the Liquid kernel source to see what's different, but I have not looked into this issue in depth at all. I doubt they're running it at a higher clock speed.

edit: meh... the download on Acer's site is corrupted.

edit: we could find some way to modify the grp_clk, that's what they are doing.

the desire/HD2 qsd chipsets have done 1.5ghz + , but there is nor performance increase, since the memory bus cant go higher.