walkie talkie

Search This thread

mech_supernova

Jan 12, 2008
I searched and couldent find anything in this fourm or anywere else. I dont know how PTT or walkie talkie's work but I was thinking they work vary similar and I could be way off on this but I was wondering is there any way to use the PTT part of the phone as a simple short range walkie talkie that will communicate with simple stand alone walkie talkies? I saw a wifi program but I am prettysure walkie talkie's dont communicate via wifi.

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
I'm going to say no. AFAIK, PTT works more like a regular phone call than an actual walkie-talkie. I don't think the phone has any other kind of radio inside of it.

pyro9219

Oct 26, 2007
Several Instant messaging applications (Agile Mobile and Palringo(free), for example) offer a walkie talky like functionality, as long as you are on a data plan or WiFi you can use it.

Palringo even goes a step further with having "Groups" so that you can use the voice chat with a group of people all at the same time.

shorty66

Mar 24, 2006
you wont be able to use normal walki talki frequenzies. The normal frequenzies are PMR wich is in the ~446mhz band. our phone work in 850/900/1800/1900 mhz. way off.
Perhaps theres some way to make a new firmware for the radiochips wich would support them, but i doubt that its possible.

As you wont be able to communicate with normal radios, there wont be much sense for you to use that as work.