[Q] DTMF tones

Search This thread

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Is there any way to adjust the length of the DTMF tones? My security door at home uses the tone from my keypad to function, like a touchtone system. But Im being told that the tone my phone puts out is too short to trigger the unlock device on the door. Ive seen where other phones can adjust the length of the tone but I can't find any way to do it on the S5. Any ideas?

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Phone/settings/calls, scroll down to dtmf tones.

I dont have that as an option. I have:

Call rejection
Answering and ending calls
Call notification pop ups
In-call status pop-up
Show caller information
Call alerts
Call accessories
Additional settings

Ringtone and keypad tones
Personalize call sound
Noise reduction

Voicemail service
Voicemail settings
Sound
Vibrate

Ive gone through each one of the sub menus available and there is no mention of DTMF tones anywhere.

Oh and I have a stock Galaxy S5 with AT&T running android version 4.4.2

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Seems odd that you wouldn't have a basic Kitkat setting like this. Another victory for ATT. It is there on my 900T.

Anyway, install a DTMF app then which will let you adjust the tone length e.g DTMF dialer

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Very strange. That seems like an option every phone should have.

Yeah, just about every other phone I know of gives you the option to change it. Thanks AT&T!!

Ive tried a couple of DTMF dialers with no luck yet. Ill keep messing with them to see if I can get one to work on my security door.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
The app that I suggested has an adjustable period.

Ensure that you set the duration to long or specify a period. A short DTMF burst is ~ 40 ms. A long burst is ~ 100 ms, although some equipment may be happier with very long tone bursts on the order of 250 ms.

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
The app that I suggested has an adjustable period.

Ensure that you set the duration to long or specify a period. A short DTMF burst is ~ 40 ms. A long burst is ~ 100 ms, although some equipment may be happier with very long tone bursts on the order of 250 ms.

So does this app just work by playing the tones over the speaker into another phone, or does it play the tone into my S5? Basically my security door works where you press my code on the keypad and it rings my phone (my S5). I answer the call and press 9 on the keypad and it sends the tone to the security door and unlocks it. The tone that my phone puts out now is apparently too short for the security door to pick up and wont trigger the unlock. Will this app work where I can answer the call from the security door and then press 9 then play on the app and it trigger the door? Im hoping so!

DarkMidnight

Sep 21, 2010
Pittsburgh
So does this app just work by playing the tones over the speaker into another phone, or does it play the tone into my S5? Basically my security door works where you press my code on the keypad and it rings my phone (my S5). I answer the call and press 9 on the keypad and it sends the tone to the security door and unlocks it. The tone that my phone puts out now is apparently too short for the security door to pick up and wont trigger the unlock. Will this app work where I can answer the call from the security door and then press 9 then play on the app and it trigger the door? Im hoping so!

Go into your Dialer like you're going to make a phone call, type ##3282# and go to Edit in the menu that pops up. DTMF is towards the bottom. You can select short / long in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: metalfan78

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Go into your Dialer like you're going to make a phone call, type ##3282# and go to Edit in the menu that pops up. DTMF is towards the bottom. You can select short / long in there.

I tried this and the only thing that pops up is "USSD and then my phone number". No menus or anything. Just a button to hit OK.

metalfan78

Jan 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
Yes to, you would need root access. I had an app for gett8ng your msl. Look for it in the play store.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Msl utility I think

DarkMidnight

Sep 21, 2010
Pittsburgh
I dont know anything about the modified hidden menu so I assume I don't have it. Would I need root access for that? I dont have the MSL number either. I assume I get that from AT&T? Thanks!

(Forgive me if I'm incorrect, the below instructions may only apply to those of us with Verizon phones, but this is how I enabled hidden menus on my phone)

1) go to /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu and change OFF to ON
2 ) Reboot your phone.

The ##3282# menu should work after that. Also, I did not need the MSL code (again, the Galaxy S5 is globally unlocked with Verizon) but should you need it (credit to metalfan78)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esccode.msl

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Yes to, you would need root access. I had an app for gett8ng your msl. Look for it in the play store.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Msl utility I think

None of the MSL code utilities in the play store worked, so I'll try and go the root route to unlock my hidden menu. After I root, how would I go about unlocking my hidden menu?

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Search XDA for the msl utility app. I was going to upload it but I can find it.

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 AM ----------

Try this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bimjty4i5r2lxra/MSLUtility.apk

I appreciate you uploading this, but it doesn't work either. When I run it I get an error: "A fatal error has occured. Could not read SPC. Please ensure you downloaded the application for your particular phone."

xbluesx

Jul 20, 2011
Ok, when you open your phone app to make a call, go to Menu (top right)/Settings/DTMF Tones.

Can you get there?

When I go to settings I get two choices, "Call" and Contacts". When I choose "Call" I get these options:

Call rejection
Answering and ending calls
Call notification pop ups
In-call status pop-up
Show caller information
Call alerts
Call accessories
Additional settings

Ringtone and keypad tones
Personalize call sound
Noise reduction

Voicemail service
Voicemail settings
Sound
Vibrate

Ive gone through each one of the sub menus available and there is no DTMF tones or anything like it anywhere.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.