[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [SPR L710VPBLJ7] JB 4.1.1

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
This is a completely stock ODIN flashable ROM with root injected into the system image. The latest image is based off of the official Kies SPR L710VPBLJ7 release which is the first official JB release on this phone.
This is a fairly easy way to get root WITHOUT tripping the flash counter that will void the warranty. If you don't care about tripping the counter then you can get root other ways.

You can get ODIN here
and the drivers for the SPH-L710 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:

SPR Image (JB 4.1.1)
Perm Mirror 1: Download - root66_SPR_L710VPBLJ7.7z

SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALI3

Old SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALEN

Second,
Extract the root66_SPR_L710VPALI3.tar from the .7z file you downloaded.
Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and
when done let phone reboot.
If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) - on a Jelly Bean release, loading a non-stock recovery will trip your flash counter.
If you want to get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
Once rebooted you can essentially follow this thread to load the clockworkmod recovery but make sure you use METHOD 1 or you will trip the counter. As long as you flash the recovery using the dd method with adb (or use terminal emulator from the play store) then you will NOT trip the flash counter. If you use ODIN to flash a custom recovery you will trip the counter.
The standard CWM recovery is here and the touch recovery is here.

If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and a decent de-bloat.

OTA Updates
I understand on Sprint there are OTA updates available. If you use this root method and want to move to an OTA update you basically have two options.
1. After using this method you can grab voodoo OTA rootkeeper from the play store and apply the update straight as it is from OTA. The rootkeeper app should keep root for you after the update is applied.
2. Find someone who made a CWM flashable update, potentially with certain pieces removed and simply flash it in CWM.

Thanks
To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.

Last edited:

carhauler1969

Mar 16, 2010
Purmela,Texas
Does this wipe data?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
Since the original .tar file didn't wipe data, I'll go out on a limb and say this doesn't either. However, if you're restoring your home .tar file for warranty purposes I'd suggest performing a full wipe in CWM prior to flashing this in Odin, or Mobile Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jerm119 and k_lor

robl45

Jun 27, 2010
so not to sound stupid, but after doing this method and getting root and CWM, then we can flash anything in cwm without tripping the counter correct?

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just to be sure, at this time there is no method of resetting the trip counter, so those that already rooted need to wait for a way to reset the counter and then will be able to use this method if they're so inclined... Is my understanding correct?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
That's what I'm wondering. Anyhoo, is there any basis to state that the tripping the flash counter will void the warranty or is that just a wild assumption?

haha, wild assumption? The counter isn't there because people like counting. Samsung has made it incrementally harder with each gen of device to reset that counter. They provide that so the carriers and themselves CAN void your warranty as they have proof that you have flashed something that wasn't stock.

Now notice the CAN word up above. That doesn't mean they WILL void your warranty. I know for a fact I've seen friends denied service from ATT for having that counter tripped. From what I've read on these forums, it seems ATT would be one of the more strict carriers and Sprint the least. I think I read yesterday that Sprint won't really care. I have no personal experience regarding that however and they can change their stance when they like.

If you haven't tripped your counter, this is as easy a root method as any other, you are just flashing something in Odin. So if you want to ensure you are warranty covered why not use this?

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
haha, wild assumption? The counter isn't there because people like counting. Samsung has made it incrementally harder with each gen of device to reset that counter. They provide that so the carriers and themselves CAN void your warranty as they have proof that you have flashed something that wasn't stock.

Now notice the CAN word up above. That doesn't mean they WILL void your warranty. I know for a fact I've seen friends denied service from ATT for having that counter tripped. From what I've read on these forums, it seems ATT would be one of the more strict carriers and Sprint the least. I think I read yesterday that Sprint won't really care. I have no personal experience regarding that however and they can change their stance when they like.

If you haven't tripped your counter, this is as easy a root method as any other, you are just flashing something in Odin. So if you want to ensure you are warranty covered why not use this?

Gotcha, thanks for the break down. At this point I've already rooted and as a Sprint customer I'm not worried about it. Sprint's policy is to handle rooted phones the same way they handle completely stock phones. I've had rooted phones running obvious custom ROMs serviced and exchanged for warranty type issues. Anyhoo, thanks for posting!

LOL, just chatted with Samsung. Apparently they will still handle all warranty issues under warranty but will charge to reflash the phone.

Last edited:

robl45

Jun 27, 2010
so to go back to completely stock, you would flash a stock tar in odin and that wouldn't trip the counter either?

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks! This will come in handy if the wife ever lets me root her phone lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLBoy1991

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a completely stock ODIN flashable ROM with root injected into the system image. The latest image is based off of the official Kies SPR L710VPBLJ7 release which is the first official JB release on this phone.
    This is a fairly easy way to get root WITHOUT tripping the flash counter that will void the warranty. If you don't care about tripping the counter then you can get root other ways.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SPH-L710 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:

SPR Image (JB 4.1.1)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - root66_SPR_L710VPBLJ7.7z

SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALI3

Old SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALEN

Second,
    Extract the root66_SPR_L710VPALI3.tar from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) - on a Jelly Bean release, loading a non-stock recovery will trip your flash counter.
    If you want to get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
    Once rebooted you can essentially follow this thread to load the clockworkmod recovery but make sure you use METHOD 1 or you will trip the counter. As long as you flash the recovery using the dd method with adb (or use terminal emulator from the play store) then you will NOT trip the flash counter. If you use ODIN to flash a custom recovery you will trip the counter.
    The standard CWM recovery is here and the touch recovery is here.

If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and a decent de-bloat.

OTA Updates
    I understand on Sprint there are OTA updates available. If you use this root method and want to move to an OTA update you basically have two options.
    1. After using this method you can grab voodoo OTA rootkeeper from the play store and apply the update straight as it is from OTA. The rootkeeper app should keep root for you after the update is applied.
    2. Find someone who made a CWM flashable update, potentially with certain pieces removed and simply flash it in CWM.

Thanks
    To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.
    Correct. It will not wipe data. You may want to depending on your needs.
    Does this wipe data?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Since the original .tar file didn't wipe data, I'll go out on a limb and say this doesn't either. However, if you're restoring your home .tar file for warranty purposes I'd suggest performing a full wipe in CWM prior to flashing this in Odin, or Mobile Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    so to go back to completely stock, you would flash a stock tar in odin and that wouldn't trip the counter either?

Correct. Anything that is a stock Samsung provided file(or phone thinks it is Samsung provided file) will not trip the counter.
    so not to sound stupid, but after doing this method and getting root and CWM, then we can flash anything in cwm without tripping the counter correct?

That's what I'm wondering. Anyhoo, is there any basis to state that the tripping the flash counter will void the warranty or is that just a wild assumption?