[APP][Nov-13-2013] Capacitive Buttons v1.0.13

Search This thread

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
NOTE: Please use the DevDB thread for all devices instead of this device-specific thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496347
Cap_Butn_Brightness_Title_Banner.jpg

This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on many HTC devices and a few non-HTC devices, including the HTC One X (both dual-core and quad-core models), the HTC One X+, and the HTC One. Users have also reported success on other devices, including HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC Desire HD, and Evo 3g. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

App review by Portal Administrator / Editor-in-Chief for XDA-Developers Will Verduzco: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-dim-the-capacitive-buttons-on-many-htc-devices

Features
  • Intuitive UI to set the brightness of the capacitive buttons to bright, dim, or off
  • Home screen widget to cycle between brightness levels

Latest Versions
Latest Pro Version: 1.0.13
Latest Free Version: 1.0.13

Download
Google Play (Pro version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness.pro
Google Play (Free version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness
APK (v1.0.13): http://dl.bintray.com/sleepydragon/CapacitiveButtons/CapButnBrightness-1.0.13.apk
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Zj-z02CR8

Differences in the Pro Version
The Pro version receives new features and bug fixes 2-4 weeks earlier than the free version. That's it! Oh, and also the free version has a link at the bottom of the main UI to upgrade to pro. The main motivation to pay for the pro version is to get official app updates easily and automatically via the Google Play Store. If you're happy with waiting for updates or using beta versions then you can live a full and happy life with the free version.

Officially Supported Devices
  • HTC One X (evita and endeavoru)
  • HTC One (m7)
  • HTC One X+ (evitareul)
  • HTC One S
  • HTC Sensation

Unofficially Supported Devices
  • HTC One V
  • HTC Desire HD
  • HTC Evo 3D
  • HTC Droid MAXX
  • HTC Droid DNA
  • HTC Butterfly S
  • LG Optimus G

Officially Unsupported Devices (devices that are known not to work)
  • Samsung Galaxy S2
  • Samsung Galaxy S3

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright". In v1.0.4, a "Default" button was added to allow reverting to stock brightness.
  • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to click the "Default" button on the main screen of the application then simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
  • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.

Known Issues
  • "Dim" does not work on all ROMs and kernels
  • "Off" does not stick when "GV Integation" app installed

Source
This application is released under the GPL3 open-source license. Source code is published at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness

Reporting Bugs
Use the "Bug Reports" feature of this DevDB project or add a post to this thread. Please include the contents of the application's "Debug Information" page (available from the "Settings" screen) when reporting bugs, as it contains invaluable information for developers to use when investigating issues. There is a "Copy" button in the top-right corner of the screen for easy cut & paste.

Credits
Turge - for providing a MOD to perform the same task (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694375)
gridlock489 - for providing higher-resolution images for the buttons in the main UI
slimdizzy - for testing on the HTC One X+ and letting me borrow his device to try things out
TToivanen - for testing on the International HTC One X (endeavoru)
lesscro - for providing the title banner that you see at the top of this post
skdubg - for testing on the HTC One X+, especially the new "dim" support

Change Log (brief - see full change log in the next post)
  • 1.0.13 (Nov 14, 2013) Fixed buttons turning off issue, skip dim in widget if not supported, HTC Sensation support added
  • 1.0.12 (Oct 24, 2013) Fixed "default" button error: "Changing permissions of file failed"
  • 1.0.11 (Oct 23, 2013) Fixed long-standing issues with UI lags and superuser permissions usage, animation added to home screen widget
  • 1.0.10 (Sept 10, 2013) Home screen widget added, HTC One brightness levels fixed
  • 1.0.9 (Sept 03, 2013) HTC One support added, support for devices without the "currents" file added
  • 1.0.8 (Jan 02, 2013) dim support for all devices, new home screen icon, debug information and credits screen added, fixed about screen scrolling
  • 1.0.7 (Dec 10, 2012) fixes bug where brightness setting does not persist when turning screen off then back on; only affects endeavoru and evitareul
  • 1.0.6 (Dec 06, 2012) added support for HTC One X+ and International HTC One X (endeavoru); added detected device name at bottom of "About" screen
  • 1.0.5 (Nov 25, 2012) fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)
  • 1.0.4 (Nov 03, 2012) visual indication when buttons pressed, better error message if not rooted, "Default" button added, some words translated
  • 1.0.3 (Oct 11, 2012) Brightness setting now sticks across reboots
  • 1.0.2 (Oct 03, 2012) Change theme to Holo (dark), replace button text off/dim/bright with pretty icons
  • 1.0.1 (Oct 02, 2012) Added to Google Play, new application icon, added "About" screen
  • 1.0.0 (Sept 29, 2012) Initial release

Old APKs:

Feel free to bake the free version of this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

Threads for this app for other devices (obsolete - please use this thread instead):

Attachments

• CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot1.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 456
  • CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot2.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 488
  • CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot3.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 436
  • CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot4.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 409
  • CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot5.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot5.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 383
  • CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot6.jpg
    CapButnBrightnessPro-1.0.10-Screenshot6.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
If we can do this much what is stopping us from making a bln type mod? Since our notification led sucks so bad, let's make the cap lights flash!

Sent from my One X using xda premium

Reactions: Yorgan

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
If we can do this much what is stopping us from making a bln type mod? Since our notification led sucks so bad, let's make the cap lights flash!

I'm just a novice Android developer so I'm afraid I can't help too much with this. In theory, it is quite easy to "flash" the capacitive buttons. Maybe you could try using an application like Tasker to flash the LEDs in response to a message being received? You would need to write a plugin or something to Tasker, but that would certainly be possible. You could also post in the forum of your ROM of choice requesting this feature, and pointing them to this thread as proof that it is possible, and not too difficult. If you REALLY want the feature, you may even be able to offer a bounty for someone to implement it for you? Nothing speaks quite as loudly as your wallet.

Tasker on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en

ptesmoke

Sep 23, 2008
Cold Lake
I'm just a novice Android developer so I'm afraid I can't help too much with this. In theory, it is quite easy to "flash" the capacitive buttons. Maybe you could try using an application like Tasker to flash the LEDs in response to a message being received? You would need to write a plugin or something to Tasker, but that would certainly be possible. You could also post in the forum of your ROM of choice requesting this feature, and pointing them to this thread as proof that it is possible, and not too difficult. If you REALLY want the feature, you may even be able to offer a bounty for someone to implement it for you? Nothing speaks quite as loudly as your wallet.

Tasker on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en

Well in the Sammy world its called "bln", needs to be implemented into the kernel, and there's an app that controls it. Turge would likely know hella lot more than I would on implementing something like that or if it needs to be rewritten for our device. But where you already know where to adjust the power going to them... Half the battle should be done I would think... Its just a matter of programming the notification led trigger to send pulses to that same spot....

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
If anyone with a hint of artistic talent (unlike me!) is interested, I've love to have a decent icon for this application. The one I'm using right now is just a black circle with a white "home" icon in the middle, with a white glow around the outer circle (see attached image). Lame if you ask me :) I'm open to just about anything, and will certainly give credit! Thanks!

Attachments

• ic_hires.png
    ic_hires.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,328

Chrysis

Jun 18, 2012
Reno, NV
Just installed 1.01 for use with AOKP and the on-screen navbar. Looks good! Wish it did stick at boot, but hasn't been a big deal at all. Thanks!

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Just installed 1.01 for use with AOKP and the on-screen navbar. Looks good! Wish it did stick at boot, but hasn't been a big deal at all. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, Chrysis! It shouldn't be too hard to add the feature where it sets the brightness on startup, so I'll add that to my todo list.

PatriotXT92

Apr 23, 2011
New York
Just tried this on Codename Android and it worked perfectly. I'll let you know if I find any new bugs.

damagecase13

May 11, 2007
Awesome! Works great on CM10. Thanks a lot for posting. This will be great when I'm watching YouTube videos in the dark.

Sent from my One X using xda app-developers app

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
Great app! Works exactly like it should. One question though (might be kinda stupid lol) - is the default brightness the full-bright option for whatever ROM you're running? To phrase it a little better, what's the default brightness before installing the app: the half-bright or full-bright option? And does uninstalling the app revert everything back to normal? Thanks!

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
is the default brightness the full-bright option for whatever ROM you're running? To phrase it a little better, what's the default brightness before installing the app: the half-bright or full-bright option? And does uninstalling the app revert everything back to normal?

Thanks for the feedback! Good questions too. I've added the answers to the FAQ section of the OP. Does it answer your questions:

• Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright".
  • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
  • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.

Reactions: jkel777

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for the feedback! Good questions too. I've added the answers to the FAQ section of the OP. Does it answer your questions:

• Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright".
  • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.

Yes that answers my question! And everything else I was wondering haha. Thanks for putting up that FAQ! And keep the good work coming :)

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
I updated to the latest version a couple days ago, and it's been working great! But as of yesterday, the settings don't stick after boot, even though the option is checked under the settings. :confused: Any way I can fix this? If it helps, my phone rebooted on me once, and then I had to hard reset it shortly after because it froze up on me. I'm on the 10-12 nightly. Thanks!

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
I updated to the latest version a couple days ago, and it's been working great! But as of yesterday, the settings don't stick after boot, even though the option is checked under the settings. :confused: Any way I can fix this? If it helps, my phone rebooted on me once, and then I had to hard reset it shortly after because it froze up on me. I'm on the 10-12 nightly. Thanks!

Thanks for reporting this. Can you answer a few questions for me?
1. Which ROM are you running? (it's possible that your ROM overrides the capacitive button brightness setting)
2. Which brightness levels (off, dim, or bright) have you noticed are not sticking?
3. Can you reboot and capture a logcat log after the device boots back up? With this log output I can see if it even tried to set the brightness.

If you are unsure how to capture the logcat log, try this:
1. Install "Android Terminal Emulator" from the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm
2. Start "Terminal Emulator" on the device
3. Type "su" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER
4. Type "logcat -d >/sdcard/logcat.txt" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER

This will create a file named "logcat.txt" on your SDCard. Attach that log here. If you want, you can scrub logcat.txt to remove your email address and any other personal info that might be in there.

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for reporting this. Can you answer a few questions for me?
1. Which ROM are you running? (it's possible that your ROM overrides the capacitive button brightness setting)
2. Which brightness levels (off, dim, or bright) have you noticed are not sticking?
3. Can you reboot and capture a logcat log after the device boots back up? With this log output I can see if it even tried to set the brightness.

If you are unsure how to capture the logcat log, try this:
1. Install "Android Terminal Emulator" from the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm
2. Start "Terminal Emulator" on the device
3. Type "su" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER
4. Type "logcat -d >/sdcard/logcat.txt" into the Terminal Emulator app and press ENTER

This will create a file named "logcat.txt" on your SDCard. Attach that log here. If you want, you can scrub logcat.txt to remove your email address and any other personal info that might be in there.

No problem! I'm running the 10-12 CM10 nightly right now. It was sticking after boot previously. I've been setting the capacitive buttons to off, and that seems to not be sticking recently (however, I've only noticed this once, so it may have just been a fluke). I know I sound really stupid, but I'm not too comfortable with doing a logcat lol... thanks for the steps though, it does seem quite easy. I'm just being really paranoid with my device right now because I can't afford another one if something happens. I'll try shutting down with the checkbox unticked, then shut down again with the checkbox ticked and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply!

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
No problem! I'm running the 10-12 CM10 nightly right now. It was sticking after boot previously. I've been setting the capacitive buttons to off, and that seems to not be sticking recently (however, I've only noticed this once, so it may have just been a fluke). I know I sound really stupid, but I'm not too comfortable with doing a logcat lol... thanks for the steps though, it does seem quite easy. I'm just being really paranoid with my device right now because I can't afford another one if something happens. I'll try shutting down with the checkbox unticked, then shut down again with the checkbox ticked and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the reply!

Okay, fair enough. When you say "It was sticking after boot previously" are you saying that it worked with a previous version of the app (v1.0.2 or older) or earlier in time with the latest version of the app (v1.0.3)? If you muster up the courage to take a logcat, I'll take a look and see if I can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there's not much I can do since it works for me.

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
Okay, fair enough. When you say "It was sticking after boot previously" are you saying that it worked with a previous version of the app (v1.0.2 or older) or earlier in time with the latest version of the app (v1.0.3)? If you muster up the courage to take a logcat, I'll take a look and see if I can help. Otherwise, I'm afraid there's not much I can do since it works for me.

It was sticking previously on v1.0.3. Yesterday, my phone froze on the camera app, and rebooted by itself (I think it still stuck then though). Then, I went back to the camera app, and it froze again, but didn't reboot by itself, so I had to manually hard reset it by holding down the power button for about 5 seconds. Then, when it rebooted after that, I don't think the settings stuck. After I shut down my phone for the night, then turned it back on this morning, the settings didn't stick, even though the option was ticked to have it stick after boot. I need to try shutting down or rebooting again with the option ticked, because this only happened once or twice so far. Yeah, I know I'm being a total noob right now lol. Sorry! I really appreciate your help though. I'll let you know if I end up getting a logcat. But I think it has something to do with the hard reset/reboots.

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
UPDATE: The camera app froze on me once again (still on the 10-12 nightly) and the phone rebooted by itself. When I unlocked the phone after it had rebooted, I saw text that said "Capacitive buttons brightness has been granted superuser permissions." Then, it shut off the capacitive lights like it should at boot. However, right after they shut off, they immediately came back on. So I believe the app is shutting them off initially (which is the option I have selected; also, it gives the "granted superuser permissions" text), and then somehow they come back on. Hope this helps! I'm still trying to man up to get that logcat haha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: Please use the DevDB thread for all devices instead of this device-specific thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496347
    Cap_Butn_Brightness_Title_Banner.jpg

This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on many HTC devices and a few non-HTC devices, including the HTC One X (both dual-core and quad-core models), the HTC One X+, and the HTC One. Users have also reported success on other devices, including HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC Desire HD, and Evo 3g. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

App review by Portal Administrator / Editor-in-Chief for XDA-Developers Will Verduzco: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-dim-the-capacitive-buttons-on-many-htc-devices

Features
    • Intuitive UI to set the brightness of the capacitive buttons to bright, dim, or off
    • Home screen widget to cycle between brightness levels

Latest Versions
    Latest Pro Version: 1.0.13
    Latest Free Version: 1.0.13

Download
    Google Play (Pro version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness.pro
    Google Play (Free version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness
    APK (v1.0.13): http://dl.bintray.com/sleepydragon/CapacitiveButtons/CapButnBrightness-1.0.13.apk
    YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Zj-z02CR8

Differences in the Pro Version
    The Pro version receives new features and bug fixes 2-4 weeks earlier than the free version. That's it! Oh, and also the free version has a link at the bottom of the main UI to upgrade to pro. The main motivation to pay for the pro version is to get official app updates easily and automatically via the Google Play Store. If you're happy with waiting for updates or using beta versions then you can live a full and happy life with the free version.

Officially Supported Devices
    • HTC One X (evita and endeavoru)
    • HTC One (m7)
    • HTC One X+ (evitareul)
    • HTC One S
    • HTC Sensation

Unofficially Supported Devices
    • HTC One V
    • HTC Desire HD
    • HTC Evo 3D
    • HTC Droid MAXX
    • HTC Droid DNA
    • HTC Butterfly S
    • LG Optimus G

Officially Unsupported Devices (devices that are known not to work)
    • Samsung Galaxy S2
    • Samsung Galaxy S3

• Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright". In v1.0.4, a "Default" button was added to allow reverting to stock brightness.
    • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to click the "Default" button on the main screen of the application then simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.

Known Issues
    • "Dim" does not work on all ROMs and kernels
    • "Off" does not stick when "GV Integation" app installed

Source
    This application is released under the GPL3 open-source license. Source code is published at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness

Reporting Bugs
    Use the "Bug Reports" feature of this DevDB project or add a post to this thread. Please include the contents of the application's "Debug Information" page (available from the "Settings" screen) when reporting bugs, as it contains invaluable information for developers to use when investigating issues. There is a "Copy" button in the top-right corner of the screen for easy cut & paste.

Credits
    Turge - for providing a MOD to perform the same task (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694375)
    gridlock489 - for providing higher-resolution images for the buttons in the main UI
    slimdizzy - for testing on the HTC One X+ and letting me borrow his device to try things out
    TToivanen - for testing on the International HTC One X (endeavoru)
    lesscro - for providing the title banner that you see at the top of this post
    skdubg - for testing on the HTC One X+, especially the new "dim" support

Change Log (brief - see full change log in the next post)
    • 1.0.13 (Nov 14, 2013) Fixed buttons turning off issue, skip dim in widget if not supported, HTC Sensation support added
    • 1.0.12 (Oct 24, 2013) Fixed "default" button error: "Changing permissions of file failed"
    • 1.0.11 (Oct 23, 2013) Fixed long-standing issues with UI lags and superuser permissions usage, animation added to home screen widget
    • 1.0.10 (Sept 10, 2013) Home screen widget added, HTC One brightness levels fixed
    • 1.0.9 (Sept 03, 2013) HTC One support added, support for devices without the "currents" file added
    • 1.0.8 (Jan 02, 2013) dim support for all devices, new home screen icon, debug information and credits screen added, fixed about screen scrolling
    • 1.0.7 (Dec 10, 2012) fixes bug where brightness setting does not persist when turning screen off then back on; only affects endeavoru and evitareul
    • 1.0.6 (Dec 06, 2012) added support for HTC One X+ and International HTC One X (endeavoru); added detected device name at bottom of "About" screen
    • 1.0.5 (Nov 25, 2012) fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)
    • 1.0.4 (Nov 03, 2012) visual indication when buttons pressed, better error message if not rooted, "Default" button added, some words translated
    • 1.0.3 (Oct 11, 2012) Brightness setting now sticks across reboots
    • 1.0.2 (Oct 03, 2012) Change theme to Holo (dark), replace button text off/dim/bright with pretty icons
    • 1.0.1 (Oct 02, 2012) Added to Google Play, new application icon, added "About" screen
    • 1.0.0 (Sept 29, 2012) Initial release

Old APKs:

Feel free to bake the free version of this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

Threads for this app for other devices (obsolete - please use this thread instead):
    Version 1.0.8-Beta1 APK is attached. If no serious issues arise with this beta then it will become the official v1.0.8 release.

Changes in v1.0.8-Beta1 (since v1.0.7)
    • "dim" support added for the International (quad-core) HTC One X and HTC One X+ (note: does not work on all ROMs/kernels/hboots)
    • "Debug Information" screen added, from the "Settings" screen
    • New application icon (thanks to XDA user lesscro)
    • "Credits" screen added, accessible from "About" screen
    • Complete re-write of code that sets capacitive buttons brightness, to allow it to support multiple devices
    • Fixed scrolling in "About" screen
    • Fixed crash when device is rotated in the "Settings" screen

Note that the newly-added "dim" support for the quad-core Tegra3 devices has been reported to work by some users and others have reported no difference between "dim" and "bright". Unfortunately, the root cause of the issue is unknown but I still plan to release this in v1.0.8 since some users report success. "Dim" fully works for the dual-core S4 North American HTC One X (a.k.a. "XL").

Please reply to this post with your feedback. If reporting issues, please go to the new "Debug Information" screen, press the "copy" button, and paste its contents. This will immensely help me investigate issues. You can also attach a screenshot of this screen if that is easier.

If anyone is willing, I've created a set of "regression tests" that can be executed manually in about 20 minutes to ensure that the entire application works correctly. Any of these test case failures is a legitimate issue. If you would like to run these tests, please see them at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/wiki/ReleaseTests

Reminder: This "beta version" of the app is signed with a developer key so it will fail to install if you have an official version of the app installed. So you must first uninstall any official versions of the app before installing this test version.

Finally, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Version 1.0.5 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.5
    • fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)

There is a screenshot attached showing the improvements in the button images from v1.0.4 to v1.0.5. No more pixelation!

APK Download URL for v1.0.5: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.5.apk
    Version 1.0.8 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.8 (compared to v1.0.7)
    • "Dim" support added for the International (quad-core) HTC One X and HTC One X+ (note: does not work on all ROMs/kernels/hboots)
    • New application icon (thanks to XDA user lesscro)
    • "Debug Information" screen added, accessible from the "Settings" screen
    • "Credits" screen added, accessible from the "About" screen
    • Complete re-write of code that sets capacitive buttons brightness, to allow it to support multiple devices
    • Fixed scrolling in "About" screen
    • Fixed crash when device is rotated in the "Settings" screen

APK Download URL for v1.0.8: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.8.apk

NOTE: If you have installed a "test" or "beta" version of this application then you must uninstall it before installing this official version. The reason is that the "test" versions are signed with a developer key where v1.0.8 is signed with the "official" key. If you forget to uninstall the test version first then installation of the official version will fail. If you have a previous official version installed (eg. v1.0.7) then you do not need to uninstall it first
    Version 1.0.4 released. You can either install the APK from the link in the OP, or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Chanes in v1.0.4
    • provide visual indication when the brightness buttons are clicked
    • produce better error message if device is not rooted or root permission denied
    • "Default" button added to enable reverting the brightness setting to the default
    • images are not as badly pixelated as before (still a bit though)
    • translations for the words "Settings" and "About" added
    • contentDescription attribute added to ImageView elements, to improve accessibility