For the people working at HTC

Search This thread

CorruptedSanity

Oct 7, 2007
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
I cant believe how some people will defend a given product regardless of it's flaws.

Sell it on EBay? buy another brand? Thats so illiterate IMO.

I have a Porsche! It has flaws, we discuss it on Porsche forums and demand Porsche deal with it. Not a single member said "go buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini" or sell it!

borealcool

Jul 5, 2007
Quebec
I cant believe how some people will defend a given product regardless of it's flaws.

I have a Porsche! It has flaws, we discuss it on Porsche forums and demand Porsche deal with it. Not a single member said "go buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini" or sell it!
That and people who let ego get in the way of acknowledging MAJOR flaws. Comments like "it's the best thing on the market" when the device is equipped with one of the cheapest, unusable in bright light conditions LCD is dumbfounding. I can understand HTC sacrificing quality to meet carrier demand for iPhone competitors, but prices should reflect what consumers are not getting for their money.

CorruptedSanity

Oct 7, 2007
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
I hear ya borealcool.

Im a very long timer SYmbian user. From P800 to latest M600i (very briefly P990i). The P1i was the last straw in Symbian/SE silliness. I love the TyTN II especially with my latest purchase of eWallet + Spb phone suite/diary/mobile shell/pocket plus and FFF and Opera Mini.

But the device has some major flaws like very veyr terrible camera which includes zooming and video! Lack of a flash!!! But ill be honest, the macro shots are something ive never seen on a mobile! Trust me when I say Macro shots are good on this device because I own several macro lenses for my Canon 1dMKII and can tell this is good at macro but terrible in terms of focus speed, shutter speed and zooming!!

Battery life is also terrible! Well barely manageable to be kind, LCD is almost useless in sunlight.... the list goes on!

Does WM6 Mobile have firmware updates like Symbian phones do?

fun_key

Sep 25, 2006
Coming from an HTC Hermes, I musst say that I am a quite disapointed by video rendering performance. In some other situation the ATI Imageon helped me well to watch movies (but on the other hand, it was less stable, *never* push the camera button while watching a film with imageon, ...).

I do not know what hardware exatly lies in the tytn II, but I know that it took more than six month to get an application that finaly use the acceleration of the tytn; the problem is maybe the same here, we may expect some good later.

borealcool

Jul 5, 2007
Quebec
I hear ya borealcool.

Im a very long timer SYmbian user. From P800 to latest M600i (very briefly P990i). The P1i was the last straw in Symbian/SE silliness. I love the TyTN II especially with my latest purchase of eWallet + Spb phone suite/diary/mobile shell/pocket plus and FFF and Opera Mini.

But the device has some major flaws like very veyr terrible camera which includes zooming and video! Lack of a flash!!! But ill be honest, the macro shots are something ive never seen on a mobile! Trust me when I say Macro shots are good on this device because I own several macro lenses for my Canon 1dMKII and can tell this is good at macro but terrible in terms of focus speed, shutter speed and zooming!!

Battery life is also terrible! Well barely manageable to be kind, LCD is almost useless in sunlight.... the list goes on!

Does WM6 Mobile have firmware updates like Symbian phones do?
Sunlight? We've got partial overcast today and here is a shot of my Titan in all it's glorious uselessness:

tita100.jpg

Now when your colleague at work pulls out his 399$ iPhone under florescent lights and asks you to show him your device, you can't help feel like an idiot with your 599$ blank screen :D

kfluk

Oct 7, 2007
Please please recompile stuff for the new processor, ask Qualcomm for sdk / libraries, do something, damn it !

I have a PDA i use in my car only for GPS nav (MIO P350 - 400MHz Samsung) and it plays movies better, not only speed (benchmark on same movie 172% vs 142% on the Kaiser with the EXACT same settings) but also less tearing in landscape mode. Oh, and the price was 3 times lower (i know, i know, GSM, hardware keyboard, etc, etc. but the Kaiser is supposed to be THE BEST THING EVER, with a new generation processor... crap)

Again, please release a new ROM that does justice to the processor, or stop marketing crap...

Highly agree! On paper, the qualcomm chip in very powerful. But in real world, it easy get suck on any application. I use CHT ROM before, it is slow. Flash WWE ROM become little better. But it's quality is not yet come to acceptable level. This device is powerful and it could be run better.
Hope HTC can take care it's baby.

eska007

Sep 15, 2007
totally agree

I purchased a tytn2 to replace my 5 year old qtek2020. Both have a 400 cpu but my qtek2020 was able to play video with 800kb bitrate. The tytn2 struggles with 400kb. Can't help but feel dissapointed.

It all comes down to the right drivers. IMHO the camera is good if it had some better software.

I've e-mailed htc about this, asking if they plan to update the drivers in the near future. Wondering when en what reply i will get.

Please send emails to htc.

kfluk

Oct 7, 2007
I purchased a tytn2 to replace my 5 year old qtek2020. Both have a 400 cpu but my qtek2020 was able to play video with 800kb bitrate. The tytn2 struggles with 400kb. Can't help but feel dissapointed.

It all comes down to the right drivers. IMHO the camera is good if it had some better software.

I've e-mailed htc about this, asking if they plan to update the drivers in the near future. Wondering when en what reply i will get.

Please send emails to htc.

Pls post email address here.

licht77

May 7, 2006
i agree that htc should improve the software/drivers if there is any potential for improvements (and your posts here make me think that this is the fact).

But when talking about Kaisers abilities: I had a Hermes before, and I dont think that Kaiser is such a bad device as one could think after reading this thread:

pros:
o a lot more storage
o faster, no freezing, no delays
o much brighter display - really no problems in the sun!
o very cool camera (still images) - even in dark rooms the images are very sharp and bright! Never saw this quality on a mobile before!
o much stronger vibracall
o better battery life
o much better keyboard - no missing letters when typing anymore

cons:
o no extra hardware button for the comm manager
o no infrared

So, dont be too cruel to our Kaisers :)

mab981

Oct 30, 2005

I guess that different people have different requirements... Graphical performance (actually most aspects of performance) is quite unimportant to me - my PDA is a communications device, not an entertainment device. I use it for email, Instant Messaging, web browsing, some lightweight navigation and as a mobile interface to my PC and MacBook. I want stability and a good data rate. The camera gets used for a few quick snapshots - I have a good Canon digital compact and a digital SLR for serious photography.

My Kaiser fills all those roles very well, so I personally hadn't even noticed the issues discussed here before you guys mentioned them. Battery life could be a bit better, but even that is not a serious problem for me - the only times that my PDA phone is active for long periods is when it is cabled up to my laptop - then it is the laptop powering it...

Martin

RPG0

May 6, 2006
Hehe !

I see this thread got back on the first page after being silent for quite a while... Well continuing to program for the Kaiser (actually just trying some stuff on it) i encountered new problems:

1. The screen flip is really slow - i see tearing all the time. I don't know how to vsync (yet) but i'm sure i see more tearing than on my Prophet (200MHz TI OMAP) - who tried to watch videos knows what i mean...

2. This is for devs only: The thumbwheel can't be read (at least i couldn't - i'm not a pro, but i'm pretty good) - GetASyncKeyState returns nothing for it, so i guess HTC does the reading in the driver and posts WM_KEYDOWN messages to the foreground application, and it posts different message if the screen is in landscape or portrait mode -> kinda bad, i was trying to make that thumbwheel scroll, but i can't read it :(.

3. Somehow i have the feeling HTC did something Microsoft didn't like because their phones no longer have the "Certified for MS Windows" sticker on the back. Like i said, i have a feeling they broke some rules, and MS no longer think HTC products are 100% compatible - see point 2 which is frustrating for a developer. Let's say you buy iGo, which reads the volume key and sets it's own volume with that, and install it on the Kaiser. You don't have a way to change volume, but iGo says it works with any WM device. Well... they are right, it works with any WM device, but the Kaiser might not be a "WM device" hence the sticker missing

I hope i made myself understood.

mmone3

May 6, 2006
denver
The thumb wheel does return messages, two at a time, which i think is the same as the nav buttons but the order is inverted. I don’t know if it’s the same for the Kaiser because I was doing my development on a p3600. Hope that helps

Hehe !

I see this thread got back on the first page after being silent for quite a while... Well continuing to program for the Kaiser (actually just trying some stuff on it) i encountered new problems:

1. The screen flip is really slow - i see tearing all the time. I don't know how to vsync (yet) but i'm sure i see more tearing than on my Prophet (200MHz TI OMAP) - who tried to watch videos knows what i mean...

2. This is for devs only: The thumbwheel can't be read (at least i couldn't - i'm not a pro, but i'm pretty good) - GetASyncKeyState returns nothing for it, so i guess HTC does the reading in the driver and posts WM_KEYDOWN messages to the foreground application, and it posts different message if the screen is in landscape or portrait mode -> kinda bad, i was trying to make that thumbwheel scroll, but i can't read it :(.

3. Somehow i have the feeling HTC did something Microsoft didn't like because their phones no longer have the "Certified for MS Windows" sticker on the back. Like i said, i have a feeling they broke some rules, and MS no longer think HTC products are 100% compatible - see point 2 which is frustrating for a developer. Let's say you buy iGo, which reads the volume key and sets it's own volume with that, and install it on the Kaiser. You don't have a way to change volume, but iGo says it works with any WM device. Well... they are right, it works with any WM device, but the Kaiser might not be a "WM device" hence the sticker missing

I hope i made myself understood.

DoughtCom

Sep 29, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I couldn't agree anymore with the OP. My wizard at 200 or so MHz totally owns my Kaiser, I hope they fix the drivers because I would love to at least get the same performance that I did in my 2 year old phone. If they fix the drivers and optimize this baby, this is by far the best phone on the market IMO.

RPG0

May 6, 2006
The thumb wheel does return messages, two at a time, which i think is the same as the nav buttons but the order is inverted. I don’t know if it’s the same for the Kaiser because I was doing my development on a p3600. Hope that helps

You called GetASyncKeystate and it returned some values ?
If it did, did the values change between screen in landscape and screen in portrait ?

I think HTC fakes this button in the input driver, that's why it makes the system think it's volume up / volume down when in a phone call, but makes the system think it's up / down in portrait and left / right in landscape...

I think that if the current foreground window is one which the drivers know about it does something "custom" but the default behaviour is up/down or left/right depending on screen orientation.

juiceppc

Nov 22, 2005
I couldn't agree anymore with the OP. My wizard at 200 or so MHz totally owns my Kaiser, I hope they fix the drivers because I would love to at least get the same performance that I did in my 2 year old phone. If they fix the drivers and optimize this baby, this is by far the best phone on the market IMO.

Agreed. That's all they gotta do. Give us better drivers. Thats all we want. I swear I'm tempted to go back to the Hermes. It's way lighter and seems "snappier". But I won't. :)

iservealot

Jun 11, 2007
I just sent the following email to them. Hopefully we'll hear a response.
----

To whom it may concern,

I ask that the following email be sent to the TYTN II development team or anyone else qualified.

The lack of ATI Imageon hardware driver support and the 7200 chipset driver support on the TYTN II is simply laughable. The TYTN II, which claims to be superior to most all current devices on the market, is lacking serious driver and hardware support when it comes to Video playback. In fact, anything that has to do with Direct Draw, Direct X and any fluid movement of pixels on the screen seems behave in an unacceptably slow manner.

Even the camera application that comes with the device slows down to such a slow frame rate that photos are not able to be captured, and cause videos to record and render slower than a sideshow. Videos captured from a third party source render faster on devices over 3 years older using slower technology.

There are a plethora of other TYTN II owners that are experiencing the same exact results as I have briefly explained above. The lack of speed in rendering video or 3D content on the TYTN II seems to be a direct result of poorly coded and even missing driver support. If HTC is unable or unwilling to resolve this issue, please prove a full fledge SDK release so that phone owners can repair what HTC was unwilling or unable to do.

Thank You,

Chris Davis