[TESTING] 3.3/3.4 kernels

Search This thread

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Let's make life less complicated and start a new thread for people to provide feedback on 2.6.39, ... 3.3, 3.4 (NEW) RHODIUM kernels. The source repository is here. Note, older trees are not under active development.

By the way, these kernels are developed jointly with jonpry, WisTilt2, and bzo. In addition a lot of code is shared with people that maintain active msm kernel branches (emwe, acl, Alex). Finally, all Xdandroid Kernel developers have in one way or another contributed code.

1. Feel free to use any of these kernels, however DO NOT submit a post in this thread that amounts to "This feature does not work for me." If you wish to submit a bug report, make sure you are proficient at using ADB, AND have installed GetLogs. In your post you should:

a. Include GetLogs output of the problem (or it didn't happen).
b. Include Rhodium model (100, 210, etc).
c. Try to reproduce the problem on the other kernels.

All other bug reports will likely not receive full attention.

2. These kernels are to be used with GBX0B.

3. These are auto-built at:

Auto Built Service generously provided by WisTilt2

The autobuild is down. Please use these links, they were the final kernel builds that were on the autobuild site.

4. What works:

This list should look very similar to the current status of .27 with your device. Meaning, if you have a rhodium on which the camera does not work with .27 (for example), camera will not work with these kernels as well. Please do not report issues that are present on .27+your device.

- Only 3.0 has BT support. Would appreciate some feedback on this. I get the impression that pairing/connecting takes a bit of patience, but I am interested in how this compares to BT in .27. If we get some positive feedback we can enable BT support across all three kernels.

5. How do these three kernels differ: They are maintained by the same group of people, and consequently differ very little. There are slight variations in power management code, but other than that they are hard to distinguish in terms of functionality.

6. Kexec: To hot-swap the kernels (boot with a new kernel without rebooting into WinMo):

a. While in Android, copy the new kernel and modules to the same location (over-writing the zImage) as your current kernel (adb push).
b. Go to the shutdown menu in GB, and select "Kexec".
c. Phone will reboot within Android, using the new kernel.

7. Finally, I don't have too much time to hang around xda, so you shouldn't hope for "next-business day" response policy:) I am just hoping we can attract the advanced user to these kernels, that can do most of the troubleshooting on their own.

Enjoy, RHOD has to be one of only a handful of android devices that are pairing android with kernels as advanced as these.

Last edited by a moderator:

detule

Jan 30, 2010
This you should note:

I. If you are experiencing problems with turning Wi-Fi on, try the procedure outlined HERE before posting.

II. With regards to usb related functions and 3.4:

This kernel uses ICS style usb drivers and as a consequence, usb notifications in GBX no longer work. To work around this issue we wrote a little app XdaRndisToggler, which should allow you to turn on ADB, as well as USB Tethering (RNDIS).

Using this app is pretty self-explanatory:

0. Plug your phone in (No notification will appear in GBX).
1. Start the app.
2a. To start the ADB service, select "ADB only" and click apply. At this point you can use ADB to connect to the device.
2b. To start USB tethering, select "ADB+Rndis" and click apply. At this point go into Settings->Wireless->Tethering and check the box that says USB Tethering. The blue "USB Tethering" notification should appear in your taskbar and you should be all set to tether.
3. To stop using ADB and/or RNDIS, select "Disable USB" in the app and click Apply.

FOR ADVANCED USERS:

Alternatively, you can use ADB without the use of XdaRndisToggler (app is still needed for tethering), by making the following changes to init.cfg/init.gingerbread.rc (note, you will need to remount / as rw)
Code:
 on property:persist.service.adb.enable=1
-    start adbd
+   start adbd
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable 0
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idVendor 0x0bb4
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct 0x0c01
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions adb
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable 1

on property:persist.service.adb.enable=0
     stop adbd
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable 0
+    write /sys/class/android_usb/android0/bDeviceClass 0
Above, minus/plus is used to denote delete/add line respectively.

Downloads:
XdaRndisToggler 06/19

Last edited:
Reactions: fishingmedic

marcopolo

Apr 13, 2009
Delhi, India
I am using the temporary 3.0 kernel and till now, I have faced a few problems:

1) Whenever I make a call, the screen goes blank (I couldn't get the logs using Getlogs, don't know from where to pick it) possibly because of the proximity sensor, the screen won't back even if I use power button, however if I slide out the keyboard, the screen comes back.

2) On some random calls, the sound simply gets disappear and doesn't come. Normally this doesn't happen on every call (trust me, I called more than 7-8 phone no. for more than 1 hours today itself) but suddenly, but on one call, the sound just vanished and I couldn't hear anything from the caller on the other side. The problem remained there until I rebooted my phone.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
1) Whenever I make a call, the screen goes blank (I couldn't get the logs using Getlogs, don't know from where to pick it) possibly because of the proximity sensor, the screen won't back even if I use power button, however if I slide out the keyboard, the screen comes back.

Also, since it seems this is an issue you can reproduce (which rhodium by the way?), can you try some of the other kernels .35, .39, 3.1 and try to reproduce it there as well.

Are you using 3.0 for its bluetooth capability - if so, how's that working for you?

marcopolo

Apr 13, 2009
Delhi, India
Also, since it seems this is an issue you can reproduce (which rhodium by the way?), can you try some of the other kernels .35, .39, 3.1 and try to reproduce it there as well.

Are you using 3.0 for its bluetooth capability - if so, how's that working for you?

Well, I tried pairing bluetooth with my laptop and a bluetooth headset, it takes forever however my laptop and the headset is always visible in the available device list. I have used .39 (wifi wasn't an issue on it but calls were problem) and .27 (provided with the bundle where voice issue was constant) and then used 3.0 (temporary provided by you), I am facing this problem on all of them. I have RHOD100, CSVs are attached with this post.

Also, I already have getlog installed on this build (it was provided in the Android App folder) but still, I cannot figure-out where exactly it is saving the file. Since you have provided the Getlog thread hence I will read it through and will provide you the same.

Update: Have attached logs taken from Getlogs. Thanks for the guidance.

Attachments

• RHOD100.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Getlog_RHOD100.rar
    38.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Update: Have attached logs taken from Getlogs. Thanks for the guidance.

You instincts were right, it is proximity related. In the file you attached if you search for "proximity" you will see a few "proximity 0" and no "proximity 1" -> meaning the proximity sensor is always reporting "user is near" and consequently the screen stays off.

Here is a silly question, do you have a case on your device, one that might be obstructing the sensor?

Reactions: marcopolo

marcopolo

Apr 13, 2009
Delhi, India
question, do you have a case on your device, one that might be obstructing the sensor?

Nope, I don't have one. In fact I have been facing this problem in the Windows Mobile ROM also... but used some tweak. This problem was not there in the FRX07.1 and the screen was good however I am now facing this with GBX0B which is not a new thing.

The screen comes back the moment I pull hardware keyboard but goes off if the call is on or I press power button (general practice to turn the screen on) and then it won't come even if I pull the keyboard.

I have one more question which may sound off topic but thought it's good to ask an expert rather suffering forever.

I am wondering which key should I use to disconnect the call since the end key doesn't work in this case and throw me back on the home screen.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Nope, I don't have one. In fact I have been facing this problem in the Windows Mobile ROM also... but used some tweak. This problem was not there in the FRX07.1 and the screen was good however I am now facing this with GBX0B which is not a new thing.

Yes, GBX0B is the first time (apart from NAND) that proximity-related functionality has been enabled.

If you are seeing the same problem in WinMo then you may be facing a hardware failure of your proximity sensor. On the other hand it could be that RHOD100 is somehow special, and we don't have the correct gpio setup in the kernel to handle your device. I just heard from a RHOD110 user saying that everything is fine, so I might be leaning towards the former.

Unfortunately I don't know of any quick tweaks to disable the sensor in Android.

Reactions: marcopolo

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
If you are seeing the same problem in WinMo then you may be facing a hardware failure of your proximity sensor. On the other hand it could be that RHOD100 is somehow special, and we don't have the correct gpio setup in the kernel to handle your device. I just heard from a RHOD110 user saying that everything is fine, so I might be leaning towards the former.

Unfortunately I don't know of any quick tweaks to disable the sensor in Android.

I'm definitely leaning towards that myself. If it's busted in WinMo, chances of it working correctly in Android are slim-to-none.

Last edited:

JDog2pt0

Sep 22, 2009
Morgan
Now to legitimently post something...

3.1 does not funtion well on my RHOD500 GBX0B. Enabling wifi caused a soft reset that never seemed to clear up. 3.0 works alright. I will probably post the logs in a bit as I've switched to 3.0, however it is incredibly easy to replicate.

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Now to legitimently post something...

3.1 does not funtion well on my RHOD500 GBX0B. Enabling wifi caused a soft reset that never seemed to clear up. 3.0 works alright. I will probably post the logs in a bit as I've switched to 3.0, however it is incredibly easy to replicate.

Can't reproduce on RHOD400 with 3.1, wifi functions flawlessly for me. Since 400 and 500 are basically the same device, I would expect the same to be the case on your device as well.

This is where logs would have been useful.

Not sure what a "soft reset that never seemed to clear up" means. Reset to bootanimation? This is usually a user-land miscue.

JDog2pt0

Sep 22, 2009
Morgan
Can't reproduce on RHOD400 with 3.1, wifi functions flawlessly for me. Since 400 and 500 are basically the same device, I would expect the same to be the case on your device as well.

This is where logs would have been useful.

Not sure what a "soft reset that never seemed to clear up" means. Reset to bootanimation? This is usually a user-land miscue.

Decided to create a new post rather than edit the previous one. Anyways I'm not familier with "user-land miscue" so you'll have to explain that one to me, and yes it is a reset to boot animation. Upon manually reseting the device nothing on the homescreen loads and under wifi in settings it says "error"

data.txt contains only one intersting line that I could see.
Code:
E/WifiService( 1325): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.
In logcat.txt the first line related to wifi is
Code:
I/ActivityManager( 1324): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.android.settings/.WirelessSettings } from pid 1457

It's late and adb shell is giving trouble with the whole cat /proc/kmesg > dmesg.txt. The included terminal emulator crashes whenever I run it, I have little to no cell signal where I now live, and the Market refuses to work over wifi. I'll dig up an apk after I get some sleep.

Attachments

• DataLogcat.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 18

detule

Jan 30, 2010
Decided to create a new post rather than edit the previous one. Anyways I'm not familier with "user-land miscue" so you'll have to explain that one to me, and yes it is a reset to boot animation.

Critical kernel errors (so called panics) end in a full blown reset to win-mo. When the device resets to bootanimation, this is Android (userland) freaking out for whatever reason.

data.txt contains only one intersting line that I could see.
Code:
E/WifiService( 1325): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

Usually this is indicative of kernel/modules magic mismatch. Have you tried this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20887127&postcount=20 ? If that doesn't work, what kind of output do you get if you type

Code:
insmod /lib/modules/bcm4329.ko

It's late and adb shell is giving trouble with the whole cat /proc/kmesg > I'll dig up an apk after I get some sleep.

Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
Use GetLogs.
...I feel like I am repeating myself.

JDog2pt0

Sep 22, 2009
Morgan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's make life less complicated and start a new thread for people to provide feedback on 2.6.39, ... 3.3, 3.4 (NEW) RHODIUM kernels. The source repository is here. Note, older trees are not under active development.

By the way, these kernels are developed jointly with jonpry, WisTilt2, and bzo. In addition a lot of code is shared with people that maintain active msm kernel branches (emwe, acl, Alex). Finally, all Xdandroid Kernel developers have in one way or another contributed code.

1. Feel free to use any of these kernels, however DO NOT submit a post in this thread that amounts to "This feature does not work for me." If you wish to submit a bug report, make sure you are proficient at using ADB, AND have installed GetLogs. In your post you should:

a. Include GetLogs output of the problem (or it didn't happen).
    b. Include Rhodium model (100, 210, etc).
    c. Try to reproduce the problem on the other kernels.

All other bug reports will likely not receive full attention.

2. These kernels are to be used with GBX0B.

3. These are auto-built at:

Auto Built Service generously provided by WisTilt2

The autobuild is down. Please use these links, they were the final kernel builds that were on the autobuild site.

4. What works:

This list should look very similar to the current status of .27 with your device. Meaning, if you have a rhodium on which the camera does not work with .27 (for example), camera will not work with these kernels as well. Please do not report issues that are present on .27+your device.

- Only 3.0 has BT support. Would appreciate some feedback on this. I get the impression that pairing/connecting takes a bit of patience, but I am interested in how this compares to BT in .27. If we get some positive feedback we can enable BT support across all three kernels.

5. How do these three kernels differ: They are maintained by the same group of people, and consequently differ very little. There are slight variations in power management code, but other than that they are hard to distinguish in terms of functionality.

6. Kexec: To hot-swap the kernels (boot with a new kernel without rebooting into WinMo):

a. While in Android, copy the new kernel and modules to the same location (over-writing the zImage) as your current kernel (adb push).
    b. Go to the shutdown menu in GB, and select "Kexec".
    c. Phone will reboot within Android, using the new kernel.

7. Finally, I don't have too much time to hang around xda, so you shouldn't hope for "next-business day" response policy:) I am just hoping we can attract the advanced user to these kernels, that can do most of the troubleshooting on their own.

Enjoy, RHOD has to be one of only a handful of android devices that are pairing android with kernels as advanced as these.
    Just pushed a nice patch from ACL:

We are no longer over-clocking via a command line parameter. Rather, you can use userland apps like SetCpu, AnTuTu CPU Master etc.

Let me know if I broke something.
    htc-msm-3.4

I emailed WisTilt2 this morning, and hopefully 3.4 will get added to the autobuild soon.

It's in pretty good shape now, but initially we had a few serious issues with this kernel.

- When it came out, there was a serious problem with the memory manager in the upstream 3.4 kernel that flat out broke the chroot system call (not just for us, but other users as well). If you have ever taken a peak at our initramfs, we use chroot (or rather switch_root) to maneuver onto our rootfs. We were stuck spinning our wheels until around 3.4.2 made an appearance on kernel.org and this problem was patched.

- We had another problem with the patches that instruct the vanilla linux kernel to use the android wake_locks infrastructure. Not sure who's to blame here, but I am inclined to think it's kernel.org again. At any rate, for the first time ever I saw frequent SODs on the 3.x kernels. I think we fixed this also.

- Finally, USB: I think we are victims of our own success here. To get adb, usb tethering etc, to work with android, we use android-specific patches on the vanilla linux kernel. As we progress to newer and newer kernels, so do these android patches. The problem is that ever since 3.0, google has stopped supporting gingerbread-like usb configurations in their kernel patches. So we've been dragging the usb layer from .39 all the way up to 3.3 -> this way we were successful in using the new kernels with gingerbread. This however is a HUGE hack and not good in any way shape or form. Finally something in the new 3.4 kernel prevents us to use the drivers from .39 and we were forced upgrade our usb layer, and together with it bring in ICS geared USB patches.

The result: with some work, we can get adb to work. However gingerbread is looking for active USB connections in the wrong place and even if you get ADB going, GB is unaware of an active usb connection so you can't enable other perks like USB tethering.

Not sure what the solution is to this last problem -> probably need to hack at frameworks in GBX but the motivation for this is somewhat low, since at that point we would need to be distributing a separate build to use specifically with 3.4.

Therefore finally, the current bug-list for 3.4:
    1. Kexec is broken
    2. USB: We can get ADB (instructions on this to follow), however USB notification doesn't work, and consequently can't enable USB tethering. <--- see here how to take advantage of usb functionality on htc-msm-3.4
    3. Bluetooth -> haven't looked at the BT patches yet, but hey BT never really works OK anyways.

On the bright side -> you will be using a kernel that's the bleeding edge in the linux world. Also, this might be placebo, but I think the new usb drivers manage the serial clocks better and perhaps power-management seems slightly better (interested in hearing how other folks think it compares).
    OK. There is a trivial bug in the bcm4329.ko wifi driver that prevents wifi tethering from starting correctly. I've patched it and attached a binary here for the current 3.2 kernel.

The patch is here http://lists.xdandroid.com/pipermail/xdandroid-dev/2012-February/000447.html

You also need the 4.217.95.0 AP firmware that I linked above. With both installed, wifi tethering works flawlessly for me. In AP mode, not ad hoc!
    First post updated : As of today, all kernels should have extUSB audio support, as well as 3.5mm audio support for CDMA rhodiums (Thanks to ACL and emwe).

Running out of things to do.