[Q] How can I access Mass Storage Mode on the Xperia S?

Search This thread

RoleX1

Nov 18, 2008
How do I connect the Sony Xperia S in Mass Storage Mode?
There must be a way? Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode is not ideal for transferring Photos and Videos (ironically) as it doesn't show you thumbnails for the Pictures and Videos on your phone. Neither can you stream the videos straight from the device this way..

You have to first click on the file and wait for it to load, just to find out its not the one you want, and repeat the arduous process all over again for the next Video, till you get to the one you wanted..

Please Help

RoleX1

Nov 18, 2008
Download Sony PC companion there is an option in there to open the drive on your phone (storage) ;)

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

We can all open the storage on the device..windows does this by itself through autoplay when you connect the phone..

I'm talking specifically about mounting the storage with Full access privileges, as it would be if you plugged in a mass storage device (such as a hard drive).

All the previous Xperia range allowed this, and of what I know, most android devices allow this. This is a very fundamental feature required and expected of all phones these days. Your not exactly going to enjoy downloading a 3GB Video file only to find out that's not the one you were after..

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
We can all open the storage on the device..windows does this by itself through autoplay when you connect the phone..

I'm talking specifically about mounting the storage with Full access privileges, as it would be if you plugged in a mass storage device (such as a hard drive).

All the previous Xperia range allowed this, and of what I know, most android devices allow this. This is a very fundamental feature required and expected of all phones these days. Your not exactly going to enjoy downloading a 3GB Video file only to find out that's not the one you were after..

It's also one that is going away with unified storage models. There are technical reasons behind this (as it's all one partition leveraging a fuse file system to mimic external storage) that it can't simply be "unmounted" from the OS side and mounted as external storage.

Last edited:

RoleX1

Nov 18, 2008
It's also one that is going away with unified storage models. There are technical reasons behind this (as it's all one partition leveraging a fuse file system to mimic external storage) that it can't simply be "unmounted" from the OS side and mounted as external storage.

So the paying Consumers lose another round
vs Manufacturers and their cost cutting techniques..

Soon we will have phones that are nothing to do with what we want, they will be what's left after its attacked by a budget sheet. Zombies of the mobile world, where passion doesn't exist..

(lol got a bit carried away there, but you get the point) since when does something that's been demonstrated to be the more user friendly option (as demonstrated on the Galaxy s2 amongst other android handsets), get thrown out as if consumers are too stupid to notice that we are being put at a disadvantage?

oh well, welcome to the pathetic future, where what's in my pocket is what the account manager needed to get his bonus this year

Last edited:

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
So the paying Consumers lose another round
vs Manufacturers and their cost cutting techniques..

Soon we will have phones that are nothing to do with what we want, they will be what's left after its attacked by a budget sheet. Zombies of the mobile world, where passion doesn't exist..

(lol got a bit carried away there, but you get the point) since when does something that's been demonstrated to be the more user friendly option (as demonstrated on the Galaxy s2 amongst other android handsets), get thrown out as if consumers are too stupid to notice that we are being put at a disadvantage?

oh well, welcome to the pathetic future, where what's in my pocket is what the account manager needed to get his bonus this year

It's more of a movement that does away with insufficient internal storage and allows the user to leverage available space however they see fit, but there is a tradeoff there.

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

RiotRick

Sep 26, 2006
Netherlands
I actually like the way it is now better. No more hassling around with too little storage for apps (HTC desire was horrible in that perspective). The built in memory is faster than SD cards. And mtp is working fine for most things.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

atilaw

Mar 17, 2010
Manchester
Yey - they do a pc companion... problem is, I'm using a mac... :(

So no way of copying photos from/to it using iPhoto.

On the plus side, at least the "Salling Media Sync" application I used to use to copy music to my Hero/Desire still works with this phone when plugged in by usb. :)

Reds4ever

Apr 25, 2011
Langley BC

On the plus side, at least the "Salling Media Sync" application I used to use to copy music to my Hero/Desire still works with this phone when plugged in by usb. :)

You can use Sony Bridge for Mac to sync your music to your iTunes and it will move photos to your phone from iPhoto. It will also do software upgrades as well and use it as a file manager for your files on your phone.

Reactions: atilaw

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Anyone knows if I will be able to use my Sammy TV with Anynet+ and use the controller, just like Sony ones?

Or listen to music from it on my Xbox?

Sent from Xperia X10 Mini Pro using CM9 by paul-xxx

Last edited:

atilaw

Mar 17, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for the Bridge to Mac tip guys... I've had my Sony Xperia S for a day so far, loving the phone so far - screen and camera are awesome, nice bump in speed over my old Desire too. Just didn't see anything on the mac bridge in all the google results on the subject of transferring files.

Will give it a go. :)

Saeen

Dec 4, 2007
Seattle
I am not able to transfer .mkv file to the phone, I think simple mass storage should be included.

draugaz

May 13, 2009
I actually like the way it is now better. No more hassling around with too little storage for apps (HTC desire was horrible in that perspective). The built in memory is faster than SD cards. And mtp is working fine for most things.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

The irony is, that Xperia S choose to ignore this advantage as it still divides flash into "internal" and "external" storage. In my eyes it is one of the biggest flaws of this phone (together with flaps covering the interface sockets).

But it is definitely a way forward and the problems are solely on the computer software side. Which will get attention only when there are enough users demanding for this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can use Sony Bridge for Mac to sync your music to your iTunes and it will move photos to your phone from iPhoto. It will also do software upgrades as well and use it as a file manager for your files on your phone.
    MTP works fine on Windows, and there is the excellent Bridge for Mac for all Mac users:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/bridge-for-mac/
    Oh no! I was hoping for this to change :(.
    Why Sony? Why? :mad:

Because that's the only way they can use all 32GB as a single memory block. In GB, they made a part of the internal memory a virtual sdcard. In ICS it will be a single block, so that you have all 32GB for apps. If they allow you to access it directly, you can accidentally break things important for the system, just like with dual mount widgets. That's why they want MTP - it's perfectly safe.