Sprint S3 stock without root will not take OTA

Search This thread

Protogon

Jul 11, 2012
So, I was approached by someone asking me to take a stab at repairing their phone. They have a Sprint SGS3, and the owner is, well, less than versed in reading through XDA and determining exactly what steps they've taken to modify their phone.

Suffice it to say, I have a bit of a diagnostic challenge on my hands.

Their story is that they rooted and installed a custom ROM on their phone, and has apparently spent the last week or so fighting with their device to return to stock. I've been told that the ROM is stock, and the recovery is also stock. They apparently want to return to stock and take the KitKat OTA, and have nothing to do with rooting. Though, House says, "everybody lies". I'm assuming there's something else I should be looking at to check whether or not they're deliberately omitting a step they took, or perhaps something they didn't realize/forgot they did.

I have yet to get the device in my hands, but when I do, what should I be looking for, exactly? I haven't modified many Samsung phones in the past, mostly just HTC devices, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Poking around the forum, I see some mentions of a Flash Counter and ODIN and some other utilities, but I'm not sure what I should really be using to try to fix the phone. I'd also like to maintain the ability to root their ROM in the future if possible, just in case the owner goes back on their root-bashing.

Thanks for reading! If you guys ever need a hand with an HTC device, I'd be more than glad to give you a hand there. :laugh:

Last edited:

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
If they're on a stock ROM, you could hook it up to Samsung Kies and do a "firmware upgrade and initialization" under the Tools menu. That should restore a completely wiped stock ROM w/ stock recovery, as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

If they're on a stock ROM, you could hook it up to Samsung Kies and do a "firmware upgrade and initialization" under the Tools menu. That should restore a completely wiped stock ROM w/ stock recovery, as well. The bootloader will still read at modified status, and if your acquaintance's phone has Knox on it, I wouldn't try the flash counter reset.

Reactions: Protogon

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Just run the ND8 tar in Odin-http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533. No OTAs, easy as pie.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just run the ND8 tar in Odin-http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533. No OTAs, easy as pie.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    If they're on a stock ROM, you could hook it up to Samsung Kies and do a "firmware upgrade and initialization" under the Tools menu. That should restore a completely wiped stock ROM w/ stock recovery, as well.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

If they're on a stock ROM, you could hook it up to Samsung Kies and do a "firmware upgrade and initialization" under the Tools menu. That should restore a completely wiped stock ROM w/ stock recovery, as well. The bootloader will still read at modified status, and if your acquaintance's phone has Knox on it, I wouldn't try the flash counter reset.