[Q] Different versions of Moto X??

Search This thread

beachkatz

Jul 26, 2014
After many months of consideration, I am considering upgrading my old Droid 2 to a Moto X. I am currently with Verizon, on a very old grand-fathered plan, which works just fine for me. If I pay for the device, I can keep this plan, and avoid a significant increase to my monthly fees. I want an unlocked phone I can use for European travel, and at home, if possible. I am also considering switching to ATT. Verizon still has better coverage for the places we live and visit most often. ATT has a more attractive data plan for the way I use a smartphone, if I upgrade my current plan.

I would like to purchase a global SIM before I leave, in order to avoid ATT or Verizon expensive international fees, and to be able to have both a European and US phone number, and to have support available in English.

As much as I would like to avoid both Verizon and ATT, the other US carriers do not have service where I am.

There are several ways to buy this.
1) Through Verizon - Cost $399

2) Through Motorola Moto X Motomaker website - Cost $299. When it comes time to select the version, I have the choice of
a) GSM Unlocked - ATT and T-Mobile 4G LTE with Global HSPA
b) Verizon
c) ATT - I am assuming this is a locked version???
c) other versions I have probably ruled out
After 2 sessions with Motorola on-line chat help, I am more confused than ever.
In the first conversation, I was told that the Verizon phone will not work in Europe, and does not have GSM.
In the second session, I was told that the ATT version is not guaranteed to work in Europe. Huh???? Have the specs changed? Or is Motorola support totally incompetent?

3) Through Telestial - Cost $799 - Really?????

Help would be much appreciated.

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
Buy the developer edition for Verizon. If you have a very old grandfathered plan on VZW, wouldn't that mean you have unlimited data? By upgrade, do you mean adding more talk time minutes?

Last edited:
Reactions: beachkatz

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
@beachkatz, if you want any possibility of using the phone on Verizon, follow @nhizzat's advice and buy the Verizon Developer Edition X

Why?

1. Only The Verizon XT1060 (Dev Edition, Moto Maker, Retail edition) supports CDMA/EVDO needed for Verizon's voice, sms, and 3G service. Since the other X's don't support CDMA/EVDO they can NOT be used on Verizon.
  2. The XT1060 supports GSM, HSPA/HSPA+ for global roaming
  3. The XT1060ships SIM unlocked, and can be used with domestic GSM providers as well as global (some conditions apply)
  4. The Dev Edition allows you to unlock the bootloader and root the phone and disable write protection, and does not void the warranty. The Moto Maker and Retail editions cant be unlocked via Moto, and while a 3rd party China Middleman (see thread in general section) has been selling unlock codes again, it hasn't been as consistent and reliable, and could go away at any moment) it would void your warranty.
  5. because you can unlock the Dev Edition's bootloader and thus root and disable write protection, you can have better success when using the phone with another provider's SIM card, and their settings.

The conditions on GSM Use... the X supports the standard QuadBand GSM for global roaming, as well as the GSM bands carriers like ATT and T-Mobile use. HSPA/HSPA+ frequencies supported by the XT1060 are compatible with ATT in the US. T-Mobile support varies. Where T-Mo has completed their "network modernization" (refarming 1900mhz from 2G to HSPA+) the XT1060 will get HSPA+, but if you are in an area where T-Mobile hasn't, you'll only get EDGE.

The XT1060 only supports LTE Band 4 and 13. T-Mobile does use Band 4, I am not sure if ATT does, but if they do its not their primary band. LTE when global roaming will not be possible.

When trying to use the XT1060 with a GSM carrier, expect to be limited to HSPA/HSPA+ if you want voice to work as well. There are some tweaks outlined for getting the XT1060 to work T-Mobile for voice/data/LTE. Having an unlocked bootloader along with root and write protection disabled is crucial for this. This tweaks may allow you to work for other GSM based carriers that support LTE band 4 as well.

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
$324.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-27-10-03-56.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-27-10-03-56.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 67

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess the GSM unlocked should work!!

Sent from my XT1052 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Buy the developer edition for Verizon. If you have a very old grandfathered plan on VZW, wouldn't that mean you have unlimited data? By upgrade, do you mean adding more talk time minutes?
    @beachkatz, if you want any possibility of using the phone on Verizon, follow @nhizzat's advice and buy the Verizon Developer Edition X

Why?

1. Only The Verizon XT1060 (Dev Edition, Moto Maker, Retail edition) supports CDMA/EVDO needed for Verizon's voice, sms, and 3G service. Since the other X's don't support CDMA/EVDO they can NOT be used on Verizon.
    2. The XT1060 supports GSM, HSPA/HSPA+ for global roaming
    3. The XT1060ships SIM unlocked, and can be used with domestic GSM providers as well as global (some conditions apply)
    4. The Dev Edition allows you to unlock the bootloader and root the phone and disable write protection, and does not void the warranty. The Moto Maker and Retail editions cant be unlocked via Moto, and while a 3rd party China Middleman (see thread in general section) has been selling unlock codes again, it hasn't been as consistent and reliable, and could go away at any moment) it would void your warranty.
    5. because you can unlock the Dev Edition's bootloader and thus root and disable write protection, you can have better success when using the phone with another provider's SIM card, and their settings.

The conditions on GSM Use... the X supports the standard QuadBand GSM for global roaming, as well as the GSM bands carriers like ATT and T-Mobile use. HSPA/HSPA+ frequencies supported by the XT1060 are compatible with ATT in the US. T-Mobile support varies. Where T-Mo has completed their "network modernization" (refarming 1900mhz from 2G to HSPA+) the XT1060 will get HSPA+, but if you are in an area where T-Mobile hasn't, you'll only get EDGE.

The XT1060 only supports LTE Band 4 and 13. T-Mobile does use Band 4, I am not sure if ATT does, but if they do its not their primary band. LTE when global roaming will not be possible.

When trying to use the XT1060 with a GSM carrier, expect to be limited to HSPA/HSPA+ if you want voice to work as well. There are some tweaks outlined for getting the XT1060 to work T-Mobile for voice/data/LTE. Having an unlocked bootloader along with root and write protection disabled is crucial for this. This tweaks may allow you to work for other GSM based carriers that support LTE band 4 as well.

This is really the best choice. I love my unlocked Verizon Moto X. With a custom ROM it doesn't even show a trace of being carrier branded.