[WARNING] Don't Hard Brick Your Atrix! Look Here.

Search This thread

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
What is this?
This is a warning that multiple users, including myself, have hard bricked their devices by SBF flashing to 1.8.3 after installing an official 4.5.91 update.​
How can I avoid this brick?
You can avoid bricking your device by not flashing any over-the-air updates to Android 2.3.4. Instead, try flashing the 2.3.4 zip over here. Or, flash the pure stock images from here.
What if I already flashed the official 4.5.91?
If you flashed the official update from XDA or by downloading through a dev-blur server (note: this excludes this ROM), you should avoid flashing SBF files in RSD Lite. We've confirmed this problem exists when users flash the 1.8.3 build specifically. It may happen with other SBF files, though.
What happens when you hard brick?
The error shows:
SVF:105.1:2
Failed to boot 0X1000
DSCN0296.JPG

the .91 update is the same as leak. Same binary 100% identical, not only do i confirm it, its confirm by every other dev. Dont listen to miss inform people. Once you update you will never be able to downgrade using sbf. You can sbf 4.5.91 because it has the same identical bl bp pass. Anything else will end up in a hard brick.

The only time this is an exception is for those who never unlocked. This folks after installing ota experience a semi hard brick when flashing pudding. This semi hard brick is similar in that it shows you 0x1000. But other than that it is just a semi hard brick.

What can you do to not hard brick your phone. Well easy, either you can use one of the widely available roms, any of the stock images, or a fruit cake. They are all base off .91

YOU COULD ALSO STOP USING SBF ALL TOGETHER. ITS NOT SAFE. RSD/SBF IS FOR INTERNAL CARRIER/MOTO USE. IT WAS NEVER MEANT FOR ANYONE TO EVER DOWNGRADE. PUT DOWN THE FLASE AND PRAISE THE SAFE METHODS.

safe methods:
fastboot
CWM
sbf with pudding already in it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gutterball

Dec 24, 2010
New Jersey
If you flash the official over-the-air update to get to 4.5.91 Gingerbread, you risk a hard brick.

The brick occurs when you flash the 1.8.3 SBF file in RSD mode over an officially updated 4.5.91 Gingerbread.

The stock ROM flashable I released is completely safe to use and should not brick your device if you choose to go back to 1.8.3.

DSCN0296.JPG

I really think theres something wrong with 1.83 it's junk I'm using 1.26 only and manually updating from there from now on.

phobos512

Mar 1, 2009
Could this be related to changes made to the bootloader in support of the discovered unlockability?

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Replacement Atrix

I have a replacement Atrix that was sent to me a couple of days ago. I havne't sent the old one back (vibration issues) I can update to the latest update and then try and flash back the 1.26 to see if that works.

I can try this out later tonight when I get home to make sure.

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
This should be stickied.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Just took care of that ;-)

I just flashed the OTA update from the other thread by renaming the file to update.zip.

It wouldn't surprise me if Moto did something to prevent you from flashing back to a earlier version sort of like what Apple does with the iPhone. Hopefully somebody will figure this out though. What about a NVFlash?

lilgmaine04

Nov 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21+
so i had issues with 2.3.4 and flashed back to 1.8.3 before i read this and its bootlooping after the ATT splash. what can i do to fix this...im scared to flash anything else at the moment. somebody please help.

mudd_cat23

Jun 23, 2008
Has the official OTA started getting sent out yet? im still running gingerblur 4.5 with a locked bootloader and im not wanting to do anything until the offical one comes out. My plain is to flash 1.2.6 sbf and start all over and do all the OTA updates all the way to gingerbread then unlock the boot loader after that. Is that way the safest way

Reactions: roybens

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
so i had issues with 2.3.4 and flashed back to 1.8.3 before i read this and its bootlooping after the ATT splash. what can i do to fix this...im scared to flash anything else at the moment. somebody please help.

I would try and flash 1.2.6 original ROM. Which version did you update with. Through CWM or through the regular android recovery?

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
dang and i was about to flash the oem to, hey all did you try to flash back with something other the 1.83? I'd say it wont make a difference, probably brick no mater which file you flash.

waktasz

Mar 12, 2011
Terrific...at least the good news is I'm safely on the new update. I'm scared now.

Hold me

kennethpenn

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 29, 2006
Washington, D.C.
briefmobile.com
Has the official OTA started getting sent out yet? im still running gingerblur 4.5 with a locked bootloader and im not wanting to do anything until the offical one comes out. My plain is to flash 1.2.6 sbf and start all over and do all the OTA updates all the way to gingerbread then unlock the boot loader after that. Is that way the safest way

No an official official OTA has not been sent.

Reactions: DREWSASTER

navalynt

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 12, 2009
Anchorage, AK
www.mikeandjessee.com

Did you wipe data? Going between Android versions, in this case Android 2.3.4 back to 2.2.2, you should always wipe.

THANKS KENNETH! I updated my guide for surfing the MotoBlur servers with a warning and a link back to this sticky!

Reactions: DREWSASTER

lilgmaine04

Nov 13, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21+
i was using the HKTW build first and flashed the other one on top with the CM recovery...everything went smoothly except for the inverted touchscreen, so I decided to flash back to 1.8.3 with RSD and now its looping. Soooo I have my phone here now awaiting orders from somebody alot better than me lol

Gandalf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Philadelphia
i've been playing around with the 4.5.91 updates for the past few hours

things i've noticed:

1. I was able to easily and without any problems install kennethpenn's .zip for 4.5.91 over my "stock" (slightly modded, themed, but not a ROM) 1.8.3 using the new "untethered" CWM

2. Decided to try the "Stock 4.5.91", so I tried to flash 1.8.3 with RSD Lite 5.3.1 over-top of kennethpenn's 4.5.91, it FAILED EVERY TIME, both on my VirtualBox running Windows XP, as well as on my friend's extremely powerful laptop running Windows 7.

Getting worried, I reinstalled RSD Lite 5.3.1, the Atrix drivers from motorola's website, and downloaded and extracted a fresh 1.2.6 sbf.

I was able to flash 1.2.6 over kennethpenn's 4.5.91 and update back to 1.8.3 with no problems at all.

not sure if this helps you guys at all, but if it does, or if anyone has any questions and is interested in what i've been playing around with all day (keep your minds out of the gutter !:eek:)

just let me know somehow between a pm or a post here

jzaslice

Sep 24, 2010
Inland Empire
I have a replacement Atrix that was sent to me a couple of days ago. I havne't sent the old one back (vibration issues) I can update to the latest update and then try and flash back the 1.26 to see if that works.

I can try this out later tonight when I get home to make sure.

This will be awesome if it works. Hope you are able to do so and report back soon!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is this?
    This is a warning that multiple users, including myself, have hard bricked their devices by SBF flashing to 1.8.3 after installing an official 4.5.91 update.​
    How can I avoid this brick?
    You can avoid bricking your device by not flashing any over-the-air updates to Android 2.3.4. Instead, try flashing the 2.3.4 zip over here. Or, flash the pure stock images from here.
    What if I already flashed the official 4.5.91?
    If you flashed the official update from XDA or by downloading through a dev-blur server (note: this excludes this ROM), you should avoid flashing SBF files in RSD Lite. We've confirmed this problem exists when users flash the 1.8.3 build specifically. It may happen with other SBF files, though.
    What happens when you hard brick?
    The error shows:
    SVF:105.1:2
    Failed to boot 0X1000
    DSCN0296.JPG

the .91 update is the same as leak. Same binary 100% identical, not only do i confirm it, its confirm by every other dev. Dont listen to miss inform people. Once you update you will never be able to downgrade using sbf. You can sbf 4.5.91 because it has the same identical bl bp pass. Anything else will end up in a hard brick.

The only time this is an exception is for those who never unlocked. This folks after installing ota experience a semi hard brick when flashing pudding. This semi hard brick is similar in that it shows you 0x1000. But other than that it is just a semi hard brick.

What can you do to not hard brick your phone. Well easy, either you can use one of the widely available roms, any of the stock images, or a fruit cake. They are all base off .91

YOU COULD ALSO STOP USING SBF ALL TOGETHER. ITS NOT SAFE. RSD/SBF IS FOR INTERNAL CARRIER/MOTO USE. IT WAS NEVER MEANT FOR ANYONE TO EVER DOWNGRADE. PUT DOWN THE FLASE AND PRAISE THE SAFE METHODS.

safe methods:
    fastboot
    CWM
    sbf with pudding already in it!
    If you flash the official over-the-air update to get to 4.5.91 Gingerbread, you risk a hard brick.

The brick occurs when you flash the 1.8.3 SBF file in RSD mode over an officially updated 4.5.91 Gingerbread.

The stock ROM flashable I released is completely safe to use and should not brick your device if you choose to go back to 1.8.3.

DSCN0296.JPG

I really think theres something wrong with 1.83 it's junk I'm using 1.26 only and manually updating from there from now on.
    I will be working on a solution on this issue this month. We are getting closer:

Selected Custom Target: [TEGRA2, 2.60V, TAP0]

Halting target...OK

R0 = 0x00061A08 R6 = 0xAB210468 R12 = 0x000001E0
    R1 = 0x00061C97 R7 = 0x000680E8 R13 = 0x4031A980
    R2 = 0x000000FF R8 = 0x00061848 R14 = 0xAB1DC8C1
    R3 = 0x00061CE1 R9 = 0x00000001 R15 = 0xAB1D980E
    R4 = 0x00000197 R10 = 0x000002C9 CPSR = 0x80000030
    R5 = 0x00000000 R11 = 0x00000000

JTAG will be the best option... ;) Unless someone can decrypt the RSA key for NVFlash!
    I may be looking into a world's first JTAG solution for the Atrix and Tegra 2 devices soon. It's just going to be a massive project for me to crack but I may be able offer a solution for those in need sometime next month.
    Compilation of info from bricked users: some started from fresh clean 1.8.3 (no pudding), kenneth started from 2.3.3. Everyone went to "official" OTA 2.3.4 from moto test server. Kenneth and another went back to 1.8.3 without eating their pudding, bricked. Another went to pudding after 2.3.4 failed to flash/softbricked but retained RSD/Fastboot, then flashed 1.8.3 and bricked as per other users.

THEORY: Flashing 1.8.3 with pudding built in may fail but leave you with RSD/fastboot intact. Do not try this unless you have a throwaway atrix (throw it at me?)

FACT: fastboot flashing system/osh/etc is completely SAFE (for now?) That is, kennethpenn's CWM update version is safe, and other CWMs constructed as such.

ADVICE: Unlocked users should not flash anything without unlocked bootloader BUILT IN. If in doubt, use fastboot and avoid radio/bootloader updates till further notice.