Dead Internal SD Solution Galaxy S

Search This thread

reganstott

Sep 11, 2012
Fully working Samsung Galaxy S - Using 16GB External Micro SD to run OS and function as External SD!!

Ok so to set the scene I will quickly explain the issue I had with my Samasung Galaxy S.

One day it worked....

Next day it didn't...from then on it would only boot to first screen then continually repeat this step.....

After day two of having no luck at fixing the issue I got an S3...great phone!

BUT DONT GIVE UP JUST YET! It can be fixed!!!

Overall I think I would have spent somewhere in the ballpark of about 40 hours trying to fix the Galaxy S...stubborn? Yes....and my Galaxy S was such a good phone I hated the idea of binning it.

I wont waste your time listing the hundreds of methods I tried or posts I read, but in the end all things pointed to a dead internal SD.

I should be able to run the OS off an external SD... shouldn't I? The answer is Yes!

Many hours were spent on this stage and for about a week I had a working pone with OS running on External SD, but no access to the camera or anything which required an external SD.

I now have a perfectly working phone, using a 16gb External SD to run the OS and remaining space on it recognised as the external SD.

I can't promise this will work for everyone but here is the last of WAY TO MANY methods I used which completely solved this problem for me.

Let me know if this works for you & GOOD LUCK!

Step 1:

Your phone must be rooted!

The best, easiest and only way I was able to do it is with the following guide, big thank you to the person who put it up. As my Internal SD was dead! my external SD was to be my new internal SD...so the standard add to zip method for rooting on external SD... would obviously not work for me! yes I worded that perfectly!

BIG IMPORTANT NOTE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! - Make sure you have your external SD inserted during the below process!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

NOW! You should have your phone booting as it used to back in the good old days! However.....some of you wont...if this is the case please follow Step 1B.

Step 1B:

If the above did not work for you then you need a way to connect your Micro SD to your PC (I did this using a USB adaptor).

1. Download and install EaseUS partition master
2. Insert Micro SD in PC
3. EaseUS partition master
4. Wipe all partitions/data.
5. Create EXT4 partition approx 2gb
6. Create FAT32 partition with remaining space.
7. Remove battery from phone
8. Insert SD, Battery back in.
9. Turn on, you should have your phone booting as it used to back in the good old days!

IF NOT THEN.....Start with Step 1B then do Step1 then if all looking as it should move to step 2. If not...sorry...I have failed you!

Step 2:

You phone should now have booted like the good old days....but if you go into SD/Storage on android OS, you will notice it does not recognise the remaining space on the External SD as an external SD...it must be very confusing for the green robot!

So next steps as follows!

1. Install script manager app and mount r/w app from Google Play (market)
2. Use mount r/w to Mount the system partition in r/w mode.
3. Browse using script manager app as root (change setting in config).
4. Go to /system/etc folder and change file permission for vold.fstab to rwxrwxrwx (This means tick all the 9 boxes on the left not the 3 on the right.....such a technical explanation)
5. Then edit the vold.fstab file as text and change the following

Change:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

to

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2

Change:

s3c-sdhci.0

to

s3c-sdhci.2

Change:

mmc0

to

mmc2

Save the file and reboot the phone!

If all has gone well then your sdcard partition will be mounted and old faithful is ready to ride once again!

I hope this worked for you, if it didn't...gutted and I guess you have moved onto the next post...good hunting!

Please note this solution was created from a pile of posts I trawled through to get a solution. The above vold.fstab solution was taken from the following post. Unfortunately this posts overall solution didn't work for me, but I would not have been able to mount remaining External SD Space as well...you know THE EXTERNAL SD! without his post, which is the best part!

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1193010

Last edited:

Pindagus

Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for this, I'm going to try this again. Finally a good explanation of what to do.

I posted a thread yesterday with, I think, the same problem. Could you take a look and see if I have the same problem as you did?
Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1905284

EDIT
Does the EXT4 partition has to be the first and the FAT32 the second?
If so, isn't it a problem that windows can't read the FAT32 partition. In case I need to drop files on it? (because it only reads the first)
EDIT

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

reganstott

Sep 11, 2012
Good Luck!

Thanks for this, I'm going to try this again. Finally a good explanation of what to do.

I posted a thread yesterday with, I think, the same problem. Could you take a look and see if I have the same problem as you did?
Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1905284

EDIT
If so, isn't it a problem that windows can't read the FAT32 partition. In case I need to drop files on it? (because it only reads the first)
EDIT

Thanks in advance!

do EXT4 first, make both as primary partitions (NOT logical..probably obvious but just spelling it out :) )
with the method I used above you shouldnt need to drop any files on, let me know. :)

Quite similar except I couldnt acces my internal SD at all, let me know how you go!

happy20b

Sep 26, 2010
Bangalore
Same issue ?

Hi,

My friend has Galaxy S, And he has similar issue. For him phone boots till splash screen and then reboots on its own.
He was able to go to recovery mode/wipe data/cache partitions etc. He was also able to go to download mode.
But he didn't try flashing custom ROM or anything instead he gave it to Samsung service center where they told him that his Motherboard has gone for toss and need to replace complete MOBO which would cost $110 (6K INR).

Though i didnt get time to check his cell myself i guess it is because of internal SD card has gone. Because he was telling in recovery page it was showing some mount error (not sure if it was internal or external SD card). If that is the case i can try this method to run OS from external SD card :).

I have two questions here.

1] If MOBO was gone (like samsung service guy told) would it still boot at first place ? or even if it boots would it go to recovery or download mode ?

2] Where exactly Recovery image is stored ? internal SD or in some other memory ?

Thanks

reganstott

Sep 11, 2012
Exactly the same issue! MOBO i doubt it!

Hi,

My friend has Galaxy S, And he has similar issue. For him phone boots till splash screen and then reboots on its own.
He was able to go to recovery mode/wipe data/cache partitions etc. He was also able to go to download mode.
But he didn't try flashing custom ROM or anything instead he gave it to Samsung service center where they told him that his Motherboard has gone for toss and need to replace complete MOBO which would cost $110 (6K INR).

Though i didnt get time to check his cell myself i guess it is because of internal SD card has gone. Because he was telling in recovery page it was showing some mount error (not sure if it was internal or external SD card). If that is the case i can try this method to run OS from external SD card :).

1] If MOBO was gone (like samsung service guy told) would it still boot at first place ? or even if it boots would it go to recovery or download mode ?

2] Where exactly Recovery image is stored ? internal SD or in some other memory ?

Thanks

That is exactly the same situation my phone was in, exactly.

I highly doubt there was any issue with the motherboard, as I understand it the internal SD is hard wired on the MOBO which is probably why they said to replace it as one piece.

As above! As i understand it it would not go into either mode if MOBO was fried, doubt you would get any response at all.

Il get back to you on this one :)

Reactions: happy20b

DannyBrazil

Aug 22, 2012
Dead Internal SD Solution Galaxy S - HELP

reganstott,

First of all thank you for the hope.

1 - Your step 1, the link provided doesn't work (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1852546)
is there another link available?

In what step I ACTUALLY install the OS on the EXTERNAL SD, just asking to get the whole pic.

Is it possible, in order to just test it, use a 2GB SD card?

thanks

Pindagus

Sep 24, 2012
It seems to work, I only have to do a mount switch now.
The only thing is; I had the EXT4 (2GB) as first partition and FAT32 (5GB) as second, but now if I connect to my PC it sees only 2GB storage of FAT32. So I guess I have to switch them?

I'm going to try again and then do the mount switch.

EDIT
Confirmed this is working, running on CyanogenMod 9.1.0 right now.

I thank you really reaally much! I almost gave up, but luckily I saw your post in time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DannyBrazil

Aug 22, 2012
help please

Hello,

I guess I have the same problem and wanted to know if you have to CORRECT links to the files
needed to do this.

thanks

p.s.
maybe a short EXTRA explanation on how you did it may help.

Pindagus

Sep 24, 2012
Hello,

I guess I have the same problem and wanted to know if you have to CORRECT links to the files
needed to do this.

thanks

p.s.

Just follow the steps, in case it is still unclear here exactly what I did;

Needed
microSDcard

Step 1
1. Wipe your external SD card and create 2 partitions; first one FAT32, second one EXT4 (about 2GB). Both has to be primary (not local)
I did this with Minitool Partition Wizard

2. Insert the SD card into your phone and install firmware from point 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

3. Install CF-Root link is also here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

4. Check if phone boots right (this goes slower than normal, so just wait)

5. If phone works right do Step 2 from first post

Step 2
My phone happened to have no Play Store after the root. If so, follow this step 2

1. Install this zip: will upload this file in a minute -> I can't post outside links yet -.-
This will to the mount swap (for firmware above)

OR

2. Install a root explorer APK through ADB and edit vold.fstab like Step 2 in first post

Now your phone has to be working. If not, check the steps and try again.
Otherwise your problem is others than ours.

p.s.
If you do flash another ROM don't forget to swap mounts! (edit /system/etc/vold.fstab in zip file from ROM)
Currently on Slimbean 2.5

Last edited:

DannyBrazil

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you

Hello,

First I want to thank you for the effort and time. I believe that my SGS has a very similar problem.

I try to flash it with many ROMS, uninstall the apps, but after reboot they always come back and I get TONS os FORCE CLOSES.

Can't Install new apps, so I guess the internal SD is the problem.

The thing is that my SGS is a Brazilian model I9000b (with TV) just wanted to make sure if it changes anything from the
instructions you gave me.

(I don't need a working TV, so I don't care for another firmware)

thanks

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Just a question:

1 - I created 2 partitions on the EXTERNAL SD

2 - inserted the EXTERNAL SD into phone.

3 - on ODIN, how he knows to install the new firmware ON THE EXTERNAL SD rather that on the INTERNAL SD??

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

when I try to apply the new ZIP from sd it doesn't recofnize the SD

actually it never did.

it is showing me the INTERNAL SD with all the folder of the apps I had, which I can't delete anymore.

Pindagus

Sep 24, 2012
3 - on ODIN, how he knows to install the new firmware ON THE EXTERNAL SD rather that on the INTERNAL SD??
I don't know how it works, but it does work.

Which ZIP do you mean? You only have to flash firmware and root through ODIN.

reganstott

Sep 11, 2012
Great :)

It seems to work, I only have to do a mount switch now.
The only thing is; I had the EXT4 (2GB) as first partition and FAT32 (5GB) as second, but now if I connect to my PC it sees only 2GB storage of FAT32. So I guess I have to switch them?

I'm going to try again and then do the mount switch.

EDIT
Confirmed this is working, running on CyanogenMod 9.1.0 right now.

I thank you really reaally much! I almost gave up, but luckily I saw your post in time.

Thanks!
Not a problem, glad it worked for you too. Not sure why the step 1 link isn't working anymore. Anyone else reading this.... I will post soon with the method for step one rooting exercise. (to put a up a brief its just using the odin way of rooting to avoid the issue of not being able to use external sd add zip method)

DannyBrazil

Aug 22, 2012
Info

Hey there,

2 important questions:

1 - My SGS is the Brazilian model I9000B, does it make any difference?

2 - Can I use a 2GB EXTERNAL SD, or it MUST be more than this?

3 - Do I need to have any knowledge in LINUX?

thanks again.,

KiDCady

Sep 30, 2012
I have managed to get it all done, modded .fstab file before applying new rom but after applying the new rom and booting in, I get encryption unsuccessful. (CM9.1.0)

Is this unfortunately the end of what can be done?

reganstott

Sep 11, 2012
Nope..

I have managed to get it all done, modded .fstab file before applying new rom but after applying the new rom and booting in, I get encryption unsuccessful. (CM9.1.0)

Is this unfortunately the end of what can be done?

If you use this method and then do a new rom...u have to do the whole process again...each time you put a new rom on you will need to change .fstab etc..

KiDCady

Sep 30, 2012
If you use this method and then do a new rom...u have to do the whole process again...each time you put a new rom on you will need to change .fstab etc..

Thanks for getting back to me. I modded the rom to have the fstab use the correct settings but I still get the issue. I've tried with Darky and with CM.

Seems I will need to stay with jw4 and the app crashes until I get a new phone at the end of the year.

vietanhnc

Sep 20, 2010
I don't know how it works, but it does work.

Which ZIP do you mean? You only have to flash firmware and root through ODIN.
Hello,
Does my phone have a dead Internal Storage ?
after i install any (stock) rom by odin , it shows up in recovery 3e:

E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)

E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /sdcard
your storage not prepared yet, please UI menu for format and reboot actions

E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0pk2

and i try to flash new rom in External SDcard following http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546,
odin don't know what i want , it puts new rom in internal sd which was broken so above error display.
I have formated my external sd by MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition with 2gb ext4 and 5.592 gb fat32.
but same errors.
What should i do to flash rom in external sd.
sorry about my English , i'm not native speaker.

KiDCady

Sep 30, 2012

Do you mean that after the new rom is applied and I get encryption unsuccessful, i need to access the root of the phone somehow (presumably android commander or something similar) and change the fstab that way while it is powered on and stuck on the error message?

Or do I need to modify the zip file I want to apply before I apply it and then deploy it? If so, then I have already done this with no success.

Also, is there a way to ensure that messages and contacts don't get lost everytime the phone loses power?

pupochek

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Hello,
Does my phone have a dead Internal Storage ?
after i install any (stock) rom by odin , it shows up in recovery 3e:

E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)

E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /sdcard
your storage not prepared yet, please UI menu for format and reboot actions

E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0pk2

and i try to flash new rom in External SDcard following http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546,
odin don't know what i want , it puts new rom in internal sd which was broken so above error display.
I have formated my external sd by MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition with 2gb ext4 and 5.592 gb fat32.
but same errors.
What should i do to flash rom in external sd.
sorry about my English , i'm not native speaker.
Yes, means your internal storage is dead. My advice - if you can get it replaced thru warranty do that, otherwise buy one on Ebay with broken screen (or/and any other parts) but with working motherboard and swap it. Last option - sell your phone for parts and get a new one...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fully working Samsung Galaxy S - Using 16GB External Micro SD to run OS and function as External SD!!

Ok so to set the scene I will quickly explain the issue I had with my Samasung Galaxy S.

One day it worked....

Next day it didn't...from then on it would only boot to first screen then continually repeat this step.....

After day two of having no luck at fixing the issue I got an S3...great phone!

BUT DONT GIVE UP JUST YET! It can be fixed!!!

Overall I think I would have spent somewhere in the ballpark of about 40 hours trying to fix the Galaxy S...stubborn? Yes....and my Galaxy S was such a good phone I hated the idea of binning it.

I wont waste your time listing the hundreds of methods I tried or posts I read, but in the end all things pointed to a dead internal SD.

I should be able to run the OS off an external SD... shouldn't I? The answer is Yes!

Many hours were spent on this stage and for about a week I had a working pone with OS running on External SD, but no access to the camera or anything which required an external SD.

I now have a perfectly working phone, using a 16gb External SD to run the OS and remaining space on it recognised as the external SD.

I can't promise this will work for everyone but here is the last of WAY TO MANY methods I used which completely solved this problem for me.

Let me know if this works for you & GOOD LUCK!

Step 1:

Your phone must be rooted!

The best, easiest and only way I was able to do it is with the following guide, big thank you to the person who put it up. As my Internal SD was dead! my external SD was to be my new internal SD...so the standard add to zip method for rooting on external SD... would obviously not work for me! yes I worded that perfectly!

BIG IMPORTANT NOTE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! - Make sure you have your external SD inserted during the below process!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

NOW! You should have your phone booting as it used to back in the good old days! However.....some of you wont...if this is the case please follow Step 1B.

Step 1B:

If the above did not work for you then you need a way to connect your Micro SD to your PC (I did this using a USB adaptor).

1. Download and install EaseUS partition master
    2. Insert Micro SD in PC
    3. EaseUS partition master
    4. Wipe all partitions/data.
    5. Create EXT4 partition approx 2gb
    6. Create FAT32 partition with remaining space.
    7. Remove battery from phone
    8. Insert SD, Battery back in.
    9. Turn on, you should have your phone booting as it used to back in the good old days!

IF NOT THEN.....Start with Step 1B then do Step1 then if all looking as it should move to step 2. If not...sorry...I have failed you!

Step 2:

You phone should now have booted like the good old days....but if you go into SD/Storage on android OS, you will notice it does not recognise the remaining space on the External SD as an external SD...it must be very confusing for the green robot!

So next steps as follows!

1. Install script manager app and mount r/w app from Google Play (market)
    2. Use mount r/w to Mount the system partition in r/w mode.
    3. Browse using script manager app as root (change setting in config).
    4. Go to /system/etc folder and change file permission for vold.fstab to rwxrwxrwx (This means tick all the 9 boxes on the left not the 3 on the right.....such a technical explanation)
    5. Then edit the vold.fstab file as text and change the following

Change:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

to

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2

Change:

s3c-sdhci.0

to

s3c-sdhci.2

Change:

mmc0

to

mmc2

Save the file and reboot the phone!

If all has gone well then your sdcard partition will be mounted and old faithful is ready to ride once again!

I hope this worked for you, if it didn't...gutted and I guess you have moved onto the next post...good hunting!

Please note this solution was created from a pile of posts I trawled through to get a solution. The above vold.fstab solution was taken from the following post. Unfortunately this posts overall solution didn't work for me, but I would not have been able to mount remaining External SD Space as well...you know THE EXTERNAL SD! without his post, which is the best part!

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1193010
    Thanks!!!!

First off,

Thanks a bunch for the post! Effin brilliant.!!

Let me give a small background on how I got here...

> I was on ICSSGS RC5 TeamNyx with a Semaphore kernel, and all was fine until one dreaded day, I got the "Encrytion Unsuccessful" message. Being the noob I was, I hit the "Reset Phone" button.

> Tried tons of solutions, from flashing stock ROM to reflashing custom ROM, formatting all /data and /datadata partitions through CWM, mounting and unmounting all different combinations, all in a lost hope to get my phone to work again. Alas, nothing worked.

> Then, while searching through posts to find out why I got a "E:format_volume: rfs format failed on/dev/block/mmcblk0p2" error in CWM when trying to flash a kernel, I eventually forced myself to accept that my internal memory was gone (forever).

> Having come to that, I purchased a 16GB micro-sd, and used to CWM to partition the damn thing and then tries installing a stock ROM as well as a custom ROM. That din't work either.

> When I eventually found this post, the problem was over 4 months old.

> I then followed the steps given by Regan & Pindagus (and once again, Thanks a TON guys!), but unfortunately was unable to get it as per their exact steps

> This is how I got it to work:

1. Use MiniTool or EaseUS (EaseUS did NOT recognize my micro-sd in any of my PCs, I don't know why) ((AND, MiniTool did not work if the micro-sd was inserted before it was started. Don't ask me, I do not know!)) (((AND, MiniTool did not work all the time. It worked like, 2/10 times that I tried it?)))

2. Anyway, delete/clear all data in your partitions, wipe partitions (with 0s or 1s)

3. And then partition your sd: get your FAT32 partition first, making sure you leave at least 2 GB for the next Ext4 partition (both Primary)

4. Once this is done, insert sd-card into phone and go to Download mode

5. Here, I did it in two different ways, and both worked. Up to you on how you decide to go

5a. Use JW4 as suggested in first post (haven't tried with JW5/JW6 yet) and flash via Odin in PDA (Touch nothing else in Odin)

5b. Use JVU (my favorite, and better to move onto other custom ROMs) and flash via Odin without *.pit (you have to leave out pit here because, pit without repartition causes some random red screen and pit with repartition makes no sense - you just partitioned your sd-card, remember?)

--
    5.1 My phone still did not work (bootloop), so I took out my sd-card, ran it through my PC again for partition, and re-inserted in my phone

5.2 Flashed via Odin (JW4 or JVU), AGAIN. And now, it booted, successfully after a very very very long time!
    --

6. Root using Odin and appropriate cf-root kernel (JW4 or JVU)

7. Reboot, and voila, your phone should work as advertised.!

8. Next, get to Google Play, download mount r/w and SManager, run in root (with SU privileges) and make the vold.fstab edits as given in first post and reboot, your external sd storage should be recognized as well

9. That's it!

From almost bricking my phone and giving up on my precious SGS to this was not a journey I thought I'd make! But here I am, and cheers to the xda community for that! :D

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

If I want to flash a custom ROM again, say CM10 for JB, can I do that? Now that I'm running a JVU 2.3 GB on my "EXTERNAL SD-CARD"?

I saw in earlier posts that I should be able to flash a custom ROM as long as I edit the vold.fstab file as given, but I tried this and it did not work.

Meaning, I opened the vold.fstab file in the ZIP file of the custom ROM package, edited it using Notepad in PC, updated the ZIP, copied it to sd-card, and then flashed using CWM. This did not work for CM10.

Anything I'm doing wrong here? Please, any help would be appreciated.!
    Hello,

needed to do this.

thanks

p.s.

Just follow the steps, in case it is still unclear here exactly what I did;

Needed
    microSDcard

Step 1
    1. Wipe your external SD card and create 2 partitions; first one FAT32, second one EXT4 (about 2GB). Both has to be primary (not local)
    I did this with Minitool Partition Wizard

2. Insert the SD card into your phone and install firmware from point 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

3. Install CF-Root link is also here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1852546

4. Check if phone boots right (this goes slower than normal, so just wait)

5. If phone works right do Step 2 from first post

Step 2
    My phone happened to have no Play Store after the root. If so, follow this step 2

1. Install this zip: will upload this file in a minute -> I can't post outside links yet -.-
    This will to the mount swap (for firmware above)

OR

2. Install a root explorer APK through ADB and edit vold.fstab like Step 2 in first post

Now your phone has to be working. If not, check the steps and try again.
    Otherwise your problem is others than ours.

p.s.
    If you do flash another ROM don't forget to swap mounts! (edit /system/etc/vold.fstab in zip file from ROM)
    Currently on Slimbean 2.5
    Exactly the same issue! MOBO i doubt it!

Hi,

Thanks

That is exactly the same situation my phone was in, exactly.

I highly doubt there was any issue with the motherboard, as I understand it the internal SD is hard wired on the MOBO which is probably why they said to replace it as one piece.

As above! As i understand it it would not go into either mode if MOBO was fried, doubt you would get any response at all.

Il get back to you on this one :)
    Hi Teddy,

This is not in reply to your question, rather a query of my own which you can answer!

How did you flash CM10.1 onto your phone? I followed the OP steps and am right now on XXJVU firmware. I tried flashing CM10 without success.. I swapped the mounts BEFORE flashing, by changing the vold.fstab inside the zip file to be flashed. Was this right, or should I have done it after flashing the zip from CWM, the normal way using script manager and mount r/w?

Please do reply when you have the time and I hope you find a solution for your problem soon, cuz if everything goes well, I might have the same problem too!

Cheers!

Hi Dark,

No, I don't think it works this way with CM10.1 anymore. You have to flash it like you normally would with the original fstab file. What I've done is I've placed the amended vold.fstab next to CM zip files to have an easy access to it, installed Android SDK on my computer.
    Once flashed with CM10.1 I've enabled the developer access to it (System Settings, About Phone and tap on Build Number 7 times) and changed Root Access value to "Apps and ADB" under the said Developer Options. Once connected to a pc I've mounted /system as rw and copied the amended vold.fstab to /system/etc via ADB. Reboot and voila!
    Hope this helps. Let me know if want me to elaborate more on this.

Regards,
    T

P.S. I've fixed my issue by simply repartitioning the SD card and following the steps once again. Now it all works like a charm!