[Q] Help with .181 update?

Search This thread

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
(if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move)

Hi – long time lurker here, but I’m having similar problems as others with getting the .181 update to be successful. In short, I can d/l it, and start the install, but then it fails after about 25% of the way through. I’m stock, and rooted. Haven’t frozen or uninstalled any bloatware.

I think the problem lies with Bootstrap app. I heard somewhere that this would cause problems with the update, so you should uninstall it first. Ok – so I blindly just uninstalled the app. But I don’t think that really worked, since I still have CWM installed. ROM Manager is also installed (I don’t remember putting it on, but I have the icon for it). I also have JRUMMY’s ROM Toolbox (paid version). Otherwise, just some other standard rooted tools, like Titanium BU, SU, Voodoo, and a font switcher.

So I don’t know what to do at this point. Not sure if I want to try to finish uninstalling Bootstrap, or if I should just try adding it back. Thoughts? I’ve tried deleting the logwrapper file (and then renaming the logwrapper.bin to logwrapper). But that failed too, because I don’t have permission. Not sure how to correct that either. I’ve got “Up to root” checked on ES File Explorer, but doesn’t seem to work.

I’d use Matt’s utitliy (is that the same as RSD?), but don’t want to lose all my data on my internal sdcard, or start from scratch for that matter either.

Any suggestions, or help??

T.D.B

Oct 5, 2011
Bronx
Same problem here...let me know when you solve it

I unrooted but still a no go. Need someone to please provide link so I can flash it myself.
Thanks
TDB

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
Just posted this in the new release forum, but was having the same issue i uninstalled boot strap and the install is running now.

1. Reroot (If not currently rooted)
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.
(thanks to Droidforums member Hostility6)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ow-remove-razr-bootstrap-custom-recovery.html

n8w

Sep 2, 2010
I'm thinking my use of the rom toolbox app is what messed up my process. I could not for the life of me get my battery icon back, or get my status bar back to stock. I must have also missed a step when clearing out the bootstrap files, although I had previously uninstalled it, and then used safe strap. I had to monkey around with getting the right drivers and learning how to get into AP Fastboot, and finally figured out how to use RSD to get back to stock. After that, I immediately was able to ota to .173, than right up to .181. Re-rooted with the razr utility.

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
@ detcup.... I followed those instructions to a T and it still failed. I'm starting to think it's my use of rom toolbox, too. I did change my font and a few notification icons but restored them all.

Now what?

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
I'm thinking my use of the rom toolbox app is what messed up my process. I could not for the life of me get my battery icon back, or get my status bar back to stock. I must have also missed a step when clearing out the bootstrap files, although I had previously uninstalled it, and then used safe strap. I had to monkey around with getting the right drivers and learning how to get into AP Fastboot, and finally figured out how to use RSD to get back to stock. After that, I immediately was able to ota to .173, than right up to .181. Re-rooted with the razr utility.

Did you lose any data? Or anything from your internal sd card?

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
I guess I'm more of a sadist than I thought. I'd rather figure out why my phone wont' update rather than just using the RSD utility. Sheesh.

Well, I got my log file (here)... and it looks like either my build.prop is busted, or something is goofy with these 2 files: "/cache/saved.file" -or- "/data/saved.file".

I also looked inside the update .zip file and found a build.prop.p file. Can I rename it and use it as my original build.prop file? Or would that just hose my phone entirely?

Here's my log. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Parsing the directoryd_name: 2-1:1.0
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /cache/Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
Opening update package...
I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
Verifying update package...
I:comment is 1461 bytes; signature 1438 bytes from end
I:whole-file signature verified
I:verify_file returned 0
Installing update...
installing motoflash extensions
installing NV updater extensions
installing omapdevtype updater extension
blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
Verifying current system...
file "/system/build.prop" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to stat "/data/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "8333cc7e59d49d67326db3349fb8f878b2c3ce25", "281bd675a6a078eb147c3a9df24cc3b53e337219")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "8333cc7e59d49d67326db3349fb8f878b2c3ce25", "281bd675a6a078eb147c3a9df24cc3b53e337219")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Last edited:

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
Ok - well, due to time and just giving up... I ended up using Matt's DRU 1.51 utility. Worked like a charm. Still wish I knew what f'ed my phone up though.

Giblet535

Apr 4, 2012
Ok - well, due to time and just giving up... I ended up using Matt's DRU 1.51 utility. Worked like a charm. Still wish I knew what f'ed my phone up though.

We're pretty much the blind leading the blind here.

We're more daring than the typical users, so typical users think we know all about these devices.

Wrong. We know some tricks that work every single time (except when they don't).

The most knowledgeable people here have simply broken their phone and then fixed it again more times than others have done. That's all, really.

Devs are the most daring of all, hacking together bits and pieces of undocumented proprietary code, then gluing it all together with the tears of their frustration. They can't tell you why XYZ doesn't work: if they knew, they'd have fixed it already.

In order to be a guru, one has to have access to Razr BIOS docs/assembly code, unlocked bootloader with docs, Moto's kernel source, and about five years. So, anyone calling themselves a Razr guru, who can't also show you their active/current Motorola employee ID badge, is probably someone you don't want to trust with anything more valuable than idle gossip.

Florestan2

Sep 23, 2010
No - I totally get it. I didn't mean to come off as smarmy, expecting an answer from anybody. I was just posting it out there to see if anybody did know. And yes, I do know my place in the food chain - somewhere on the bottom! That's why I've been a member of this sight for so long, but only posted a few dozen times. :D

I'm more than certain there are others who are / were in the same boat as I am, so I was more-so wondering if anyone had already figured it out. Sometimes great ppl already have (and are willing to part with) the info. I've found XDA to be the best place for the best help / advice. Even if it's "I've tried this once and it worked for me, but it might brick YOUR phone". LOL

In the end, it's all good. My phone's still rooted just the way I like it, and I have the .181 update. Life's good for now.

Thanks

dlsmith08

Apr 26, 2012
I've been having trouble updating my rooted stock RAZR MAXX too. I'm kind of a N00B and pretty much all I know is from trial and error on my own Android devices. I've been working so much and haven't had time to try any of these techniques. I'll try them asap but in the meantime I wanted to ask a quick question. If you know if an appropriate thread please post a link.
I made backups of the system apps that were bloatware and uninstalled them using TitaniumBU. When an OTA update comes out, do they check to see if any of those apps were uninstalled before applying the update?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

ViaCapita13

Jul 4, 2010
San Francisco

I'm going to have to use Matt's Utility myself as I think I've found part of where the issue lies. I have my Razr rooted with bootstrap and the OTA has failed a number of times. I've followed every bit of instructions about uninstalling bootstrap and receive error Status 7 when performing the .211 OTA instal. In my case, these errors were in my preinstall folder, specifically under the Know Your Device folder. What I've found is that although many users have successfully removed bootstrap/safestrap they receive a status 7 error due to a mismatch in sha1 sums. Certain .apk and .prop files are affected and give mismatching sha1 sums and they are unable to get past 25% of the update process. I'm extremely curious how this has happened in my situation as I restored a backup of my preinstall file so the sums should match but that is what is causing the issue.

Sorry for the long winded response but I'm curious if anyone knows why this would happen.

Thanks in advance. I'll be using Matts Utility to get back to unrooted stock and then I'll finish the update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah. You need them installed for the update. Reinstall them and see if that works first.