Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

UnholySniper

May 21, 2013
Hello people, I have a GS3 an Tab2. And no, Im not trying to get 10 posts to get into development. i already know about most of these roms, just figured I'd sign up.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
So, here's a question.. How difficult is it to get an AT&T SIII onto T-Mobile?

Unlock and go? or unlock, flash rom x and go? or ?

sparkie6point0

Jun 23, 2012
Chicago
Hey guys! My boss has a question!

He's now got an older Blackberry which is on its last legs and needs to get a new phone. His choices are the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone5. However, he wants to get the phone that can easily sync our office Outlook calendar into the phone without any hassles. Which one should he go with?

I told him that I'm on XDA a lot, and I also told him that if anyone can give a straight, honest unbiased answer it's a fellow XDA member (or dev).

Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

So, here's a question.. How difficult is it to get an AT&T SIII onto T-Mobile?

Unlock and go? or unlock, flash rom x and go? or ?

If it were me, I'd unlock and go. That way, if you don't like T-Mo, you can go to someone else.
Besides, it's better than risking a hard brick because of a bad (or dirty) install, bad download, etc. :good:

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
If it were me, I'd unlock and go. That way, if you don't like T-Mo, you can go to someone else.
Besides, it's better than risking a hard brick because of a bad (or dirty) install, bad download, etc. :good:

Reason I was thinking this is I already have T-Mo... was just thinking about moving this onto the account... was just an idea...

I was basically thinking I could leave the baseband as/is and flash a t-mo image on it...

Just an idea...

:fingers-crossed:

sparkie6point0

Jun 23, 2012
Chicago
Reason I was thinking this is I already have T-Mo... was just thinking about moving this onto the account... was just an idea...

I was basically thinking I could leave the baseband as/is and flash a t-mo image on it...

Just an idea...

:fingers-crossed:

If you're just going to flash a ROM there are plenty of multi-carrier ROMs available in the development section. If, however, you were thinking about putting the AT&T phone on T-Mo, then you would have to unlock it. If I'm not mistaken, different carriers run on different bandwiths, so I'm not sure if you can just keep the baseband and get away with it. Plus there's the question of the SIM card working.

Either way, if you're going to pursue it, good luck and I hope everything works out for you! :D

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
If you're just going to flash a ROM there are plenty of multi-carrier ROMs available in the development section. If, however, you were thinking about putting the AT&T phone on T-Mo, then you would have to unlock it. If I'm not mistaken, different carriers run on different bandwiths, so I'm not sure if you can just keep the baseband and get away with it. Plus there's the question of the SIM card working.

Either way, if you're going to pursue it, good luck and I hope everything works out for you! :D

Basically, it's a free phone... with a cracked screen - I figure it's worth a try. Though I read earlier that there's some effort to get T-Mo 4G working on it...

Steve5400

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys! My boss has a question!

He's now got an older Blackberry which is on its last legs and needs to get a new phone. His choices are the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone5. However, he wants to get the phone that can easily sync our office Outlook calendar into the phone without any hassles. Which one should he go with?

I told him that I'm on XDA a lot, and I also told him that if anyone can give a straight, honest unbiased answer it's a fellow XDA member (or dev).

Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I actually think the iPhone would be better coming from BlackBerry. It's much more linear in its set up and will probably have less frustration.
If he is a tinkerer though galaxy is the way to go, much more customizable. Neither one of them will have any problem syncing with outlook calendar though. If it is on tmo, the iPhone has LTE which is a big plus as far as future proofing.
Just my .02

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: sparkie6point0

nviz22

Feb 16, 2012
Well, I just sold my S3. Time to move onto a new phone. Nexus 4, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 5, Lumia 925, Blackberry Z10, or Galaxy S4? Thoughts?

sparkie6point0

Jun 23, 2012
Chicago
Well, I just sold my S3. Time to move onto a new phone. Nexus 4, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 5, Lumia 925, Blackberry Z10, or Galaxy S4? Thoughts?

Depends on what you liked about your S3 and your primary use for it (camera, music, etc.)

Me personally, my primary "thing" is graphics/screen view. How good will a youtube video or TV picture look on that screen? I watch a lot of TV on my phones (I have about 5 TV apps on my phone now, including T-Mo TV and MLB At Bat). I've had the chance to try out a few (but not all) of the phones you listed to see if any of them would outperform my S3 to my satisfaction.

Nexus 4 - haven't tried it out
HTC One - decent graphics, very good sound, but I still wouldn't buy it for anything. No SD card slot and no way to open the battery compartment are major mood killers for me.
Galaxy Note 2 - picture looks exactly like an S2 (which I didn't like). Pass.
Galaxy S4 - IMO the best of the bunch. Only difference between this and an S3 is that it's a bit wider (and it comes with LTE and 4.2.2 already installed) - otherwise, there's not a lot calling out to me from that phone saying "Buy me"!!!
Lumina 925 - haven't tried it out
iPhone - absolutely beautiful picture and sound, but the picture is too small compared with my S3. Besides, I was chained to Apple once - never again. Wayyyyy too proprietory and expensive.
And there's no way in hell I'd try out a BlackBerry. They're on their way out the door anyway.

Again, these are my opinions based on my own criteria.

klin1344

Nov 11, 2011

If you decide to buy another Android device, I suggest the HTC One, because it has the nicest screen out of the 4 androids. SuperLCD 3 is brighter, sharper, and more accurate than the pentile amoled Note 2 or GS4. It's also better than the Nexus 4 because it's full 1080p HD.
You use the screen of a phone everyday, so it's only right that you buy a phone with a high quality screen.

If you decide to buy another Android device, I suggest the HTC One, because it has the nicest screen out of the 4 androids. SuperLCD 3 is brighter, sharper, and more accurate than the pentile amoled Note 2 or GS4. It's also better than the Nexus 4 because it's full 1080p HD.
You use the screen of a phone everyday, so it's only right that you buy a phone with a high quality screen.

I just traded in my S3 for an HTC One and so far I'm in awe..this thing is blazing fast, no lag, beautiful screen, and loud as hell..I love it and I haven't even rooted it yet!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
So me and @Tunasty were thinking, why is that aluminum body phones don't have sdcard slots and removable battery trays and such? I mean, I know sleek and unibody is nice and sexy, but I really depend on those two features. Not gonna rely on cloud storage as I don't want to rely on data, and kill battery more by using data when not needed. 32gb should suffice for me as of now, but my music grows daily and apps grow and get larger daily too. I just want to build my own personal phone hardware in and out lol.

The Oppo Find 5 is what I really like style hardware and looks, and definitely software capabilities, but it lacks the things I want really bad. The HTC One Google Edition (Nexus) is exactly what I'm looking for but lacking the removable battery and sdcard storage :(... I mean, can't sdcard slots be built like they have the sim card trays, just a push and pull, and slide back in??? Sounds simple but I don't build phones obviously haha. Just bouncing ideas and ranting out loud.

Reactions: Tunasty

EtherealRemnant

So me and @Tunasty were thinking, why is that aluminum body phones don't have sdcard slots and removable battery trays and such? I mean, I know sleek and unibody is nice and sexy, but I really depend on those two features. Not gonna rely on cloud storage as I don't want to rely on data, and kill battery more by using data when not needed. 32gb should suffice for me as of now, but my music grows daily and apps grow and get larger daily too. I just want to build my own personal phone hardware in and out lol.

The Oppo Find 5 is what I really like style hardware and looks, and definitely software capabilities, but it lacks the things I want really bad. The HTC One Google Edition (Nexus) is exactly what I'm looking for but lacking the removable battery and sdcard storage :(... I mean, can't sdcard slots be built like they have the sim card trays, just a push and pull, and slide back in??? Sounds simple but I don't build phones obviously haha. Just bouncing ideas and ranting out loud.

From what I understand, Google is starting to push for the removal of SD card slots in favor of cloud storage and larger built-in memory sizes. Supposedly in the name of security and as a way to help curb piracy... although I don't see how having an SD card encourages piracy. I do know that it makes it much harder to hack the bootloader on some phones (remember the goldcard days of HTC phones?) but I think the real reason is so that Google can have all your data on the cloud.

As for the lack of an SD card, 32GB should be more than sufficient for the HTC One (even if only around 24GB is available for use its still better than the 8 you get on the 16GB GS4) - and its among the fastest flash memory around to boot - but I agree with you on preferring SD cards. My reasons are different though - I store downloads and backups on my SD card in case something gets screwed up and I have to restore to out of the box factory settings on my phone to fix it.

I think we will start seeing more and more phones lacking SD card slots though unfortunately.

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
From what I understand, Google is starting to push for the removal of SD card slots in favor of cloud storage and larger built-in memory sizes. Supposedly in the name of security and as a way to help curb piracy... although I don't see how having an SD card encourages piracy. I do know that it makes it much harder to hack the bootloader on some phones (remember the goldcard days of HTC phones?) but I think the real reason is so that Google can have all your data on the cloud.

As for the lack of an SD card, 32GB should be more than sufficient for the HTC One (even if only around 24GB is available for use its still better than the 8 you get on the 16GB GS4) - and its among the fastest flash memory around to boot - but I agree with you on preferring SD cards. My reasons are different though - I store downloads and backups on my SD card in case something gets screwed up and I have to restore to out of the box factory settings on my phone to fix it.

I think we will start seeing more and more phones lacking SD card slots though unfortunately.
Ya I remember those days on my G1 lol, and I think it's wrong of them to try and push cloud storage upon users, it's a great option but shouldn't be the only one, reminds of another company lol. I actually make a thread in every phone I own if a the SD slot is available, for people to go out and purchase an external memory card and reader for flashing purposes haha. Ya the piracy thing sounds dumb but believable all at the same time. I wish they would let us build our own phone like some shoe companies let people build and design their own shoe.

EtherealRemnant

Ya I remember those days on my G1 lol, and I think it's wrong of them to try and push cloud storage upon users, it's a great option but shouldn't be the only one, reminds of another company lol. I actually make a thread in every phone I own if a the SD slot is available, for people to go out and purchase an external memory card and reader for flashing purposes haha. Ya the piracy thing sounds dumb but believable all at the same time. I wish they would let us build our own phone like some shoe companies let people build and design their own shoe.

I think Google started the end of SD cards when they collaborated with LG to release a Nexus device with no SD card slot. And if you think about it, Google's privacy policies have been starting to mirror Apple's for awhile now. Add that to the fact that Google has a vested interest in getting our personal data and increasing data usage (since that's their business model) and you've got the fall of the SD card on Android started. Didn't they recently get rid of apps to SD too? I never used it personally but I heard some rumblings about having to have third party apps now.

Apple has gotten away with it since day one, I guess Google wants to follow suit.

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Nooooooooo I wish I had a number of theirs to ask these questions but I don't really care enough to wait for someone to talk to or anything lol. I wish they had a poll or something for users to vote on.

T-Mobile SGS III

Tunasty

Feb 24, 2013
Chicago
xdaforums.com

Damn I just saw this post today lol but yah bro. That's the type of phone I've been wanting too. I work in retail and sell phones, a lot of customers go for the aluminium phones now days, especially iPhones even though they have no clue what they are getting. All they care about is the look. Oh well hopefully one day, samsung comes up with one of those phones and gets rid of this cheap plastic.

S4 is poppin!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please use this thread to discuss all other devices besides the S3.
    Thanks
    FNM
    So how about that iPhone 5 huh? ....Guys? Guys? Where did everybody go? :crying:
    I think I would rather buy the HTC one over the S4
    Thinking of upgrading from S3 to S4.... Is it worth the money ?????

Early reports say no... And the bootloader is locked as well. They managed to root it but it may be awhile before custom ROMs can be installed. Battery life is worse than the One as well (its marginally better than the battery life of the S3 by early accounts).

If you have an S3, I would recommend waiting at least until Google I/O to see what they have up their sleeves... The Snapdragon 800 devices are coming this year and they look to be beasts... Hell do a Google on "LG D801" and see what I mean...

Tegra 4i is coming too. Its too early to jump into another device in my opinion - the S3 just has so much life left in it.