Galaxy S3 - Kitkat Discussion Thread

Search This thread

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
@nataku199 my mother still has the S3 and I'm in charge of the technical stuff. Anyway the change log came through and it was only a 33MB file. (it's not Kitkat or anything) Truth be told the update didn't do much of anything at all.

But if you want Ota updates you're going to need to go back to stock or wait for the custom ROM you're using to be updated by the maintainer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ndwgs

nataku199

Jun 30, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm running the leaked version of the stock that I got from this site. My gf is running the official version that we got here as well. But instead of her getting the modified message, her phone just gets stuck on checking for updates.

EDIT: I just remembered to reset my flash counter so the "modified" message is gone but now it gets stuck on the "connecting to server" just like my gf's phone.

Last edited:

cc546

Oct 12, 2020
I'm just curious why anybody cares about touch wiz kitkat? I've used a few different kitkat roms now including cm11 and they all work pretty well. A few have some quirks but overall they've been easily reliable enough to use everyday. Other than wifi calling what else do you like about TW versus anything else?
The mass don't even know what Android is, they only know Samsung and that it's a smartphone. I still have a hard time explaining to my mum that her Moto G, my dad's LG G2 and my GS3 are running on the same OS so we can run the same app.
How would they even know how to install ROMs?

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
The mass don't even know what Android is, they only know Samsung and that it's a smartphone. I still have a hard time explaining to my mum that her Moto G, my dad's LG G2 and my GS3 are running on the same OS so we can run the same app.
How would they even know how to install ROMs?

That's sadly true. Samsung and Apple users bash each other when a good amount of the users of both products don't know what they're talking about.

bradley129

Feb 4, 2014
Not to mention when official kitkat cones out custom roms will become more stable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: lazyn00b

nataku199

Jun 30, 2013
Pittsburgh
@nataku199 my mother still has the S3 and I'm in charge of the technical stuff. Anyway the change log came through and it was only a 33MB file. (it's not Kitkat or anything) Truth be told the update didn't do much of anything at all.

But if you want Ota updates you're going to need to go back to stock or wait for the custom ROM you're using to be updated by the maintainer.

I updated using Kies and I lost root. RRRRR.:rolleyes:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Based on my Current Experience with SlimKat, hell yeah. Based on experience of Samsung's 4.3 update ? Hell No!

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
Is KitKat even worth all this fuss?

I guess it depends on what you consider "fuss". If you want to try KitKat all you need to do is backup whatever you have now and pick your custom rom of choice. I would be willing to bet money most of the available KitKat roms are good enough for daily use. For a week or so I was using touchwiz and didn't notice any difference in battery but definitely noticed a hit in performance.

A quick answer to your question is aosp/cm KitKat is faster than any tw rom. You lose a few things like wifi calling and mhl playback on an hdtv.

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Whats the difference between the 2?
I guess it depends on what you consider "fuss". If you want to try KitKat all you need to do is backup whatever you have now and pick your custom rom of choice. I would be willing to bet money most of the available KitKat roms are good enough for daily use. For a week or so I was using touchwiz and didn't notice any difference in battery but definitely noticed a hit in performance.

A quick answer to your question is aosp/cm KitKat is faster than any tw rom. You lose a few things like wifi calling and mhl playback on an hdtv.
@omaral. I believe @kingston73 's answer sufficiently describes the difference.

B

Bass_Man25

Based on my Current Experience with SlimKat, hell yeah. Based on experience of Samsung's 4.3 update ? Hell No!

Sadly, I think Samsung will not only be updating their version of Android, but also their Knox and eFuse as well, trying to make it harder to crack. When the official build comes down, I think it's going to be a while before a rooted version is posted here as it's going to take the devs here a while to figure out what the heck Samsung has done.

It's really a shame - I really like my S3, but I think this will be my last Samsung device.

bradley129

Feb 4, 2014
Sadly, I think Samsung will not only be updating their version of Android, but also their Knox and eFuse as well, trying to make it harder to crack. When the official build comes down, I think it's going to be a while before a rooted version is posted here as it's going to take the devs here a while to figure out what the heck Samsung has done.

It's really a shame - I really like my S3, but I think this will be my last Samsung device.
Samsung didn't do anything but make it impossible to downgrade. Knox isn't a locked boot loader your still free to flash ROMs and root. Our current root methods should work just fine.

Is the phone still worth getting?

Considereding I just got the phone 2 months ago yes.

KoubaK

Aug 24, 2009
DMV
Is the phone still worth getting?

To be honest, NO! The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone, but if you are going to be getting a new phone... you are better off getting a newer device (if you don't have the money, save up and get it!). I own a S3 and I too think it will be my last Samsung phone. I'm waiting on my friend to get his hands on the S5 to test it out, but I am also mainly waiting to see what Motorola or Google will launch next.

Just consider your options (there are plenty) and don't go looking for a S3 just yet. Unless you plan to use it for dev/hack/backup purposes, then do as the heart pleases. :D

keko jones

Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually looking to get it for my mother in law. I don't think she will be a super user, but want to get her something inexpensive but that works and will last her.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You guys are bashing Samsung too much.. I have an s4 with official kitkat and I can still flash recoveries and customs ROMs and downgrade just like we can with 4.3.. Instead of getting ahead of yourselves just wait till the dang thing drops and then you can make up your mind if you want to keep bashing Samsung, I for one don't think its that bad as you guys make it seem :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    And im sorry, but the "fact" is that you have provided no evidence, no source, not anything to back up your statement. You can say were not getting updated over and over all you want, but just like everything else around here, unless you can furnish something to back it up, it will be seen as mere gossip and people will just see you as someone who enjoys pissing people off.
    Now, if you can back it up, im all for seeing what you have to do so, but otherwise just let it be please.
    WooHoo!!!
    Great news guys! Looks like I've got a nearly fully working port to share! Gotta get it uploaded and an OP typed up, but I think its as ready as I can possibly make it. Had major issues with mobile data cutting in and out constantly, but it appears I finally got that working. (Ill be posting in the Development section now that it is.) Wifi, unfortunately is another matter, and as expected, I cannot get it to work without the full kk firmware.
    Aside from wifi, though, I think it could be used as a DD. Will need to hear from others to be sure about that though.

Anyway, huge thanks to @CNexus and everyone in the Sprint forums for all of their hard work and help! Ill do my best to credit them properly in the rom thread to come.

Stand By!

:cowboy:

Update: The Sprint guys finally got their rom working today! Props to all those who put in so much time and effort to get it sorted out over there!

I will take another stab at porting it over now that they have it working over there! Dont get your hopes up too much yet, but im not giving up so wish me luck!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Well, I have not had much luck with that Sprint KitKat port. I have been keeping up with their threads for reports on it though and have some stuff to update you guys on. I have no idea why, but as of right now the consensus is that to run a 4.4.2 TW rom, you MUST first update to the 4.4.2 full firmware. People are reporting bricks by doing otherwise, however, I have flashed the sprint rom to my device, and while it will not boot into the Android OS, it has been far from a brick and is a simple flash of another rom to get back up and running. I have also noted that other devices such as the Note 3 are able to run KK on 4.3 firmware. What does this all mean for us? I am not sure yet. Too much conflicting info tbh. Either way though, I have not been able to get my attempt at porting it to boot.....
    Another issue they are having in the Sprint forums are that if they flash the stock firmware via odin, everything works fine, but as soon as they flash a deodexed or odexed, stock, unmodified rom, many are losing data and wifi capability. Some report it works fine for them, so I suspect it may have something to do with how the firmware was dumped, or something else pretty simple that is getting by everyone.

It may be that we run into similar issues here when ours is released, but I am remaining optimistic that it wont be the case. Pure speculation though....

IMPORTANT!!!!!! READ THIS ARTICLE BEFORE ACCEPTING THE 4.4.2 KITKAT UPDATE WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE!!!!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Many of you may already know about this, but for those who do not, please take the time to read the linked article!

As for getting Sprints KK ported over, I am about to have to put it down for a while. I suspect either the kernel, or it may be due to simialr issues the Sprint guys are having. Ill try again, but Im about wiped out on it for now! Ill be watching for the official firmware release at SamMobile, and once available, I will try again.

Now, a little news on KK for us. I have been told from what I believe to be a reliable source that the T999 and T999L are scheduled to get the update between approx May 28 - June 5. If testing goes really well it could be sooner though, but it looks like we are still at least a couple weeks away for now. Also, this will most likely be EOL as far as official updates go. Meaning this will be the last S3 official update.

An interesting thing I have read is that Samsung has no plans to update the I9300. It is suspected that this is because it only has 1GB of RAM and simply put, just doesn't have the hardware to run it. The I9305 (LTE) will get the update, but it has 2GB of RAM like we do.

If I find or hear any other information I will definitely share it with everyone!
    Ive got a blacklisted T999, but the screen is broken, so if I have the time when 4.4.2 is released I will swap the motherboard and do as much testing as I can to see how things act for us. Im sure if you want to take the ota or flash the firmware you will be just fine, but if you want to root and flash other roms beyond that you might want to wait for a report from me or the others that im sure will jump in head first!
    For those who plan to wait, Ill do my best to get info out quickly, but ill have to let you guys know when the time comes if ive got the time to do all this right away.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk