Gmail crashes and launcher failing to restart.

Search This thread

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Gmail started crashing today on my infinity :( #*(&#(*#&$(*&#$(*&#$(*& I would KILL for a fix for this.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Did you happen to check logcat output for OpenGL issues?

logcat |grep -i opengl

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

cwoodard73

Oct 12, 2011
Yep, I save the crash log when I get a crash in the vain hope that Google or Asus might someday want to see them :p

D/OpenGLRenderer(16066): GL error from OpenGLRenderer: 0x505
E/OpenGLRenderer(16066): OpenGLRenderer is out of memory!

I have cleared data as well as cache many times.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yep, I save the crash log when I get a crash in the vain hope that Google or Asus might someday want to see them :p

D/OpenGLRenderer(16066): GL error from OpenGLRenderer: 0x505
E/OpenGLRenderer(16066): OpenGLRenderer is out of memory!

I have cleared data as well as cache many times.

Damn - so my suspicions are true - the damn OpenGL "out of memory" issue is present on the TF700 as well - not good! I had the exact same issues on my TF101 with ICS (sigh)...

maedox

Nov 14, 2008
Oslo
Could there be something graphics heavy still running in the background, or some game that isn't completely out of memory? Does it happen even without any other running processes?

cwoodard73

Oct 12, 2011
I don't have any graphics heavy games installed. I play word games, mahjong, sudoku, that kind of thing. And haven't even played any of those yet since getting the infinity. Don't run much typically other than playstore, gmail, web browser, talk... Removed all widgets, although I only ever had calendar and weatherbug widgets before. Still crashing. Am trying System Tuner's auto kill functionality right now, have it set to auto kill non excluded apps when device is out of memory, when device is turned on/off and when notifications refresh (so that it would be clean before I go to check mail after getting a new mail notification). It's still crashing though. Very curious that it didn't start crashing until three days after I bought the tablet. Tried the normal power device on/off, clear data/cache, cold boot. Haven't done a factory reset yet on this device, but it never helped on the prime.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Could there be something graphics heavy still running in the background, or some game that isn't completely out of memory? Does it happen even without any other running processes?

The OpenGL out of memory error really has nothing to do with games... A lot of apps use OpenGL (including Gmail, which is why you see issues you Gmail). Based on the findings from the TF101, there really is nothing we can do about it..

Hopefully, Jelly Bean is not too far off, because ICS has been a disaster for Asus...

maedox

Nov 14, 2008
Oslo
The OpenGL out of memory error really has nothing to do with games... A lot of apps use OpenGL (including Gmail, which is why you see issues you Gmail). Based on the findings from the TF101, there really is nothing we can do about it..

Hopefully, Jelly Bean is not too far off, because ICS has been a disaster for Asus...

Yes, but games would be much more memory heavy than normal apps like Gmail.

What makes you think Jelly Bean would be any different? I am hopeful, but ASUS doesn't seem to understand Android at all. In my 10 or so Android devices I have never seen so many show-stopping bugs. And the ANR's - F**K!. It's strange, but it might be the best and worst device I've ever had combined. It's great, but when the browser (or any other app for that matter) stalls for 5 seconds every minute I want to slap ASUS' head of development in the face.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yes, but games would be much more memory heavy than normal apps like Gmail.

What makes you think Jelly Bean would be any different? I am hopeful, but ASUS doesn't seem to understand Android at all. In my 10 or so Android devices I have never seen so many show-stopping bugs. And the ANR's - F**K!. It's strange, but it might be the best and worst device I've ever had combined. It's great, but when the browser (or any other app for that matter) stalls for 5 seconds every minute I want to slap ASUS' head of development in the face.

Just being hopeful about Jelly Bean... I agree about Asus having so many bugs - the QA (both hardware and software) leave a lot to be desired, to say the least.

Their products come *so close* to being "the perfect device", but there always seems to be issues that make you scratch your head...

You might want to look into "Browser2RAM" - I've had good luck with it - seems to make the browser a lot snappier.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that Jelly Bean resolves some of these issues! :)

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
Reboot seems to have solved it for now, as it's been fine for the last day or so. I wonder if playing with minfree settings can affect the behaviour of OpenGL, as it seems easily "overloaded". I'm happy with the temporary workaround as long as I don't have to do this a few times a day.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Splaktar

Aug 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
I'm still getting Gmail crashes constantly. I have to cold boot very frequently just to be able to use my Gmail. It is a major pain in the ass and probably the largest issue with my tf700. Is ASUS aware of this issue and working on a fix?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yeah, I've found that I typically have to reboot the device every few days because of the OpenGL Out Of Memory issue.... Had the exact same issues with ICS on my TF101 - was hoping the TF700 didn't have the same issues, but it does.

These issues have been reported to Asus, by more than one person - no idea what, if anything they've done about it though (obviously, they haven't fixed it, at least in ICS).

Here's hoping that they have fixed it in Jelly Bean! :)

Has anyone heard of the OpenGL Out Of Memory issues on the Nexus 7? I guess the TF300 users should be able to report on this soon too.

By the way, one thing that helps is to turn off the "animations" under Settings->Developer Options. That seems to at least slow down the occurrence of the OpenGL issue...

Last edited:

misiek_to_ja

Nov 16, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
Well, maybe it is coincidence, but out of nowhere just after .40 firmware update my asus launcher started to crash (once per day). It means some of my icons disappear, I can't run app drawer and I have to kill the launcher process to restart it. It works for some time and then crashes again until I reboot the whole device. I'm getting the same OpenGL out of memory errors. I didn't have any OpenGL issues so far, my GMail is working just fine. I tried the cold boot, but it does not help. I will switch off all my widgets and live wallpaper, let's see if it helps.

MedicD

Jul 13, 2009
Similar Issue

I'm having Gmail crash on me a lot too. I have 3 accounts logged in, and I think that might be causing the problem. I have tried a full wipe as well as cold boot and everything else, nothing seems to fix it. I might try running just one accon and see it it still does it.

Eroc162

Jan 19, 2008
My launcher screen has also been crashing and not launching aswell. I reset the device. Hope JB fixes this. They just started happening, maybe a week now.

standardhuman

Jun 21, 2010
It doesn't seem to be related to multiple accounts. I have chronic gmail crashes on the Infinity, and only one account. It does, however, seem to be related to the keyboard dock somehow. It very reliably crashes when launching gmail when connected to the dock, and reliably launches successfully when not in the dock.

Top Liked Posts