[Q] Squeaky/Noisy Buttons on MT4G

Search This thread

dustrho

Sep 21, 2009
Oswego, IL
twitter.com
I'm on my third MT4G because of squeaky/noisy buttons. The biggest reason why this happens is this:

1) the buttons are cheap plastic
2) the sides of the button rub on the phone's bezel, thus creating the squeaking sounds
3) the home/back buttons are in fact one solid piece (stupid design)

I'm thinking about putting some type of lubricant in my phone (per a suggestion over in the T-Mobile forums), as I highly doubt T-Mobile would provide a fourth phone to me. This squeaking sound really is annoying, and should not be present on such a high-end phone such as this one.

Has anyone taken their phone apart in an attempt of making the creaking sounds go away? Has anyone applied lubricant to the buttons to stop the squeaking?

Onefast

Feb 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
lubricant?

you could try some sort of graphite lubricant... it's not really a liquid, just a powder and shouldn't propagate through the phone. i think "dri-slide" still makes it

borodin1

Jan 3, 2009
Minneapolis MN
The whole bottom of my phone squicks and creaks but I don't think I want to put any lubricant in my phone. I'll just wait a little and exchange it if anything. Doesn't bother me as much as I thought I would when I found out about it.

DADDYDC650

Feb 4, 2010
I sprayed a little bit of CRC Power Lube onto the left button on my MT4G since it was making an annoying noise when pressed. Works perfect and it's plastic safe, no stains!

theinternot

Nov 5, 2010
Mine screams like a banshee now.

This is probably the only real design flaw with this phone.

Still better than non-responsive capacitative touch buttons, but def annoying.

dustrho

Sep 21, 2009
Oswego, IL
twitter.com
I also forgot to mention how loud my home button makes this clicking sound when I press it (along with the squeaking sound). It really is f'n annoying. Could any of these lubricants help simmer that down a bit? If I had known these buttons would end up being so damn loud, I would have second-guessed buying it.