The Last Car Mount/Dock You'll Ever Buy

Search This thread

Downtown Dan

Dec 31, 2011
Pretty sweet dock. Wish I had seen this sooner.

I just got the Motorola dock for my D3. Definitely happy with it either way. It's nice having the phone mounted conveniently when using Navigation.

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
I know this is an old thread but after reading... who in the blue hell is trying to use the hardware keyboard with a car dock? I mean hell texting while driving is bad enough but trying to type on the physical keyboard while driving while in the car dock on your dash might very well win you a Darwin Award...

I've had the OEM docks and aftwrmarket docks and hands down the OEM Motorola docks are easily the best out there. One hand mount, secure, looks very slick and not like some cheap dollar store phone clamp and they auto activate the car home app. Not to mention that the OEM mounts plug in themselves vs having to plug the phone in every time you mount it... there is something to be said about a clean hidden wire car mount vs some garbage aftwrmarket mount with the charger and auxiliary cable hanging all over.

Sent from my DROIDX using xda premium

Last edited:

aoxoa

Feb 23, 2012
I've checked out these Clingo car mounts at a local office supply shop.

They DO seem hella sticky.
I might give one a go.

I can't post links yet.... but it's clingo DOT com.
Universal car dash mount.

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
As I said before, universal car mounts for any newer Motorola phone is a waste. The newer mounts all have removable inserts to work with cases minus the ridiculous ones like otterbox. My D3 is in a full Qmadix case and it fits in both OEM docks like a glove.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
Was thinking about using the base to still to the dashboard, but use the D 3 car mount to put the phone in. Looks like the ball mount would fit. Just have trouble sticking things to the dashboard, is why I ask.

Thanks.

I am using the Motorola car dock because my wife got it free with her Droid 3. I absolutely hate suction cups. They do not work over the long haul. Used them with phones, Garmin GPS, etc and every single one of them fails eventually and it does not matter if you stick it to the windshield or the dashboard, particularly in cold weather. In my current car, the dashboard is textured so there is no way a suction cup will stick. Tried the little round stick on plate and that's really no better than the windshield - i.e. its always falling off.

But...I have found a solution. It turns out that the ball mount on the Motorola dock is compatible with mounts designed for Garmin GPS's. That opens up a whole other world of options for mounting it.

I am using this one: http://www.amazon.com/GBFM-Portable...ANJS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331822281&sr=8-4

Problem solved.

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
I had one on my dash forever with my old DX and it never fell off the windshield. I pushed as hard as I could and then used the lever and that was that. I do agree about the dash though not to mention I'm not sure why people even want to put them on the dash when putting them in the lower left corner of the windshield right around where the inspection tags are is a perfect location within reach and right in front of you.

ratman6161

Aug 30, 2010
Minnesota
I had one on my dash forever with my old DX and it never fell off the windshield. I pushed as hard as I could and then used the lever and that was that. I do agree about the dash though not to mention I'm not sure why people even want to put them on the dash when putting them in the lower left corner of the windshield right around where the inspection tags are is a perfect location within reach and right in front of you.

Perhaps...if you never take it off once the suction cup is stuck on. But for many of us that's not an option. If you work in an area where a suction cup on your windshield is like putting a sign on the car saying "please smash my window and rob me" then you don't leave such things visible. Also, every try to stick a suction cup on glass when the temperature is below zero? Finally, the curvature of the glass also has an effect on how well it works. So while suction cups may work for you, for a lot of us they just plain suck.

tumtum1088

Feb 20, 2011
Brooklyn
I totally agree, I'm in NYC, its just asking for someone to break in, unfortunately though I have this exact mount and after 4 months of on and off every day, it really doesn't stick that well any more :(. But it was great while it worked.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

DKDroid3

May 3, 2012
The Garmin sandbag works great. It is illegal in my state to have anything suction cupped to the windshield. The dash circle doesn't stick good enough to use. seems like with the phone on the dock it is so front heavy that it pulls it off.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda app-developers app

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
As I said before, universal car mounts for any newer Motorola phone is a waste. The newer mounts all have removable inserts to work with cases minus the ridiculous ones like otterbox. My D3 is in a full Qmadix case and it fits in both OEM docks like a glove.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

Just FYI if there's anyone out there who still cares...

I just got an OtterBox for my Droid3 and it will (barely) fit in both the car and home dock. I cut the flap over the USB and HDMI ports off and I have to push it in the docks very firmly and carefully, but it does work.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I came from a Droid 1. I loved the dev following it had/has and the neat accessories that came out for it...mostly the car mount/dock. Once I got my Droid 3 the mount was useless...which kind of annoyed me. So I set out to find a universal mount, but wasn't too hopeful after seeing the big ugly adjustable beasts that lurk on eBay. Then I came across the ExoMount by ExoGear. It's so clean looking, easy to use, and relatively cheap. Check it out!

http://www.exogear.com/products-exomount-car-mount-holder.html