[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11.0 Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
webview/browser seems to be very unstable. half of the surface blacks out and lags the device. this is with both dalvik and ART

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

This is being looked into. Chrome does not have this issue and can be used until the blackouts in the stock browser are fixed.

tested... boot without problem :thumbup:

first impression, can't install apk from file manager ;)
with "package parsing error" warning

I have a newer build that seems to have resolved this issue, but working a couple other new bugs before I upload it.

I can't get gapps to work either. I've tried a few different ones that are supposed to be for 4.4 but all force close and stop the boot process. End up with a black screen and force close pop ups. I'm guessing a compatible gapps isn't available yet or I just haven't been able to find it.

I had posted a link to the gapps I'm using in post #3. http://d-h.st/MI8

vzihome

Oct 31, 2008
Only issues that I have ran into is blacking out on internet and not being able to install apk (parse error) and also cant install by copying over to system/app can't change permissions. Internet work around is by using opera mini and/or chrome but overall happy with it. havent noticed any data problems since I'm mainly on wifi. But having a better experience than stock form, my new dd thanks everyone

C-Lang

Nov 25, 2012
Redlands, CA
AWESOME!!! I'll hold off on flashing until a couple more updates because I actually use my Epic as a dedicated music player and other people use it, so it has to be totally reliable... but how is the performance boost? I'd imagine much of the boost is actually from the kernel, but am I wrong in assuming that? Or is this actually running something past 3.0? Seriously though thanks man, you are amazing. Any way for me to PayPal you or something?

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
Can someone explain what's the deal with Launcher and Launcher3? I am making a wild guess that Launcher is Google and Launcher3 is Cyanogenmod a la Trebuchet? Does it makes a difference which one I use?

As other have mentioned, I am also getting the black screen over the Browser and worse than that, any app that uses Browser's guts to render something as a web page. Same with the Parse error for apk's. However you can install them from the Terminal Emulator using su then pm install myapp.apk.

It seems to not like the ART runtime very much. Overall though, it seems noticeably snappier than 10.1. I am totally stunned how quickly came out, and how well the first build works. Amazing job!

Thuqnificent

Jun 4, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I had to flash gapps a second time (after the included recovery replaced twrp) but so far it works just fine.

ART helps a ton, it's instantly noticeable, but takes up quite a bit of space.

You guys rock.

Still Epic.

Edit: webview/browser seems to be very unstable. half of the surface blacks out and lags the device. this is with both dalvik and ART

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

What Gapps did you use? Every time I flashed some all the apps force closed or it just gave my rom a black screen and I had to reflash.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Since every Gapps I flash seems to mess this rom up I'm trying to just install the basic launcher, google now, and the new keyboard but there is a parsing problem with any apk file. Help to fix or anybody know why?

tcrimsonk

Oct 28, 2010
CM11 is running great on my Epic! How do I activate/profile this with Sprint? (I need to revive it and activate it until my replacement Photon Q arrives.)

Thanks!

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago

samepic

Dec 9, 2010
What is cydia.saurik.com doing in this CM 11.0 Build?

Downloaded and installed this Preview 11.0 Build on my Epic. Had to install the gapps the second time in order to work. Phone appears to work fine so far in Wifi. Google Play Store works. However, when I open Google Settings and select Connected apps, I noticed 'cydia.saurik.com" is listed as a connected apps. This is strange. Don't see that when it was running CM10.2. I did not install any apps except the gapps packages from post #3. Anyone knows what this cydia.saurik.com app is?

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

CM 11.0 does not seem to include setting menus for Status Bar and Notification Drawer. In CM10.2, they were under Settings->System.

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
What Gapps did you use? Every time I flashed some all the apps force closed or it just gave my rom a black screen and I had to reflash.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Since every Gapps I flash seems to mess this rom up I'm trying to just install the basic launcher, google now, and the new keyboard but there is a parsing problem with any apk file. Help to fix or anybody know why?
I used the ones bbelos linked to in post #3 of this thread (http://d-h.st/MI8). I flashed them right after I flashed the ROM, then booted it up. The gapps were a little quirky, as in I could see some of them but I couldn't add a google account, so I rebooted to recovery and flashed them a second time and everything was fine. My guess is that some kind of initialization happens on the first boot that needs to run before gapps will install correctly, but that's just wild speculation.

ALSO, I had weird behavior and force close problems when I switched to ART. Dalvik works fine. Maybe that could be your issue with the force closing?

You can install an apk manually from terminal emulator. Run su first, then pm install your-totally-legit-app.apk from whatever directory you have it in. I used file manager to move and rename all mine to something easy to type because I couldn't figure out how to tab-complete and I'm lazy. xD

Last edited:
Reactions: samepic

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Well, I just re-tested it. Restored back to cm-10.2 and downloaded the zip from the link. Wipe data/reset and format /system (like the warning recommends), and flashed the zip. It rebooted right away back into recovery (because it had to flash the kernel first). Flashed the zip again, then gapps and then I rebooted with a successful boot-up.

any reason to expect a different result coming from 10.1?

logic tells me no, but logic is fail sometimes..

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
here's some buggers..

the stock browser has serious flickering issues and chrome has a mild case the same

also idk this is due to a setting but while I'm typing this the text is HUGE

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
For the Browser issue, I've had best success working around it with Firefox. It's actually really snappy, seemed much more responsive than Chrome. And you can move some of it to the SD card.

Which brings me to this issue: whenever I reboot, all the apps I had installed on the SD card (using the native "Move to SD card" feature) are wiped out. I have a normal FAT32 formatted SD card with no symlink trickery. None of my other data appears to be missing. Just the apps.

InfDaMarvel

Aug 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Seems to work fine. I'm not sure about data but wifi works. Launcher 3 is nice. Probably going to use Nova Launcher beta though.

Seems to be only about 1 or 2 seconds slower in most task compared to my gnex with cm10.2

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 11.0 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a build of CM11.0 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are any build prior to the 11/12 CM11.0 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. If updating from a build prior to 11/12, it is recommended to format /system, /data, and /cache AFTER making your backup.

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM11.0 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM11.0 build, or a modified/patched Official CM11.0 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them.

Nightly Builds
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=epicmtd

Known Issues:

- 3g data basically works - Although it has the wifi/mobile data toggle bug again. Disable mobile data before turning on wifi for best results. Fixed 12/04

- Stock browser (and anything else using webviews) - Big black boxes. Use another browser temporarily until fixed. Fixed 11/17

- Wimax temporarily disabled

- Current bluetooth behavior untested for improvement.

- Wired headset mic & buttons. (Yeah, Yeah, someday...)

- Probably more.

Previous preview Builds
    cm-11-20140101-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131226-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131211-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131210-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131206-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131205-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131117-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131112-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    Potentially Unstable Build - 12/04
    Alot more features have been added back in, but I've been experiencing some weirdness especially after a reboot. Certain issues seem to be tied to certain gapps packages. I have not determined the best one to use, but I post this build for those of you who want something more current.

Features (including but not limited to the following, some of which may have already existed in previous builds):
    *** I think I have taken even more space from /data to give to /system. Make your backups before flashing ***
    - Working data (data toggle shuffle no longer necessary)
    - Quick access ribbon
    - Quick access panel (with Torch enabled)
    - Circle battery
    - Lockscreen shortcuts
    - Vibrator intensity and capacitive button backlight control

cm-11-20131204-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip

EDIT:
    Stable version
    This version uses the boot.img from the 11/17 build (thanks to didhiy for experimenting), therefore it has the same partition layout as the 11/17 build. Should be safe to flash over the 11/17 build, but backups are still always recommended.

cm-11-20131204-UNOFFICIAL-fixed-epicmtd.zip
    1. Contact list export limit patches were merged the other day.
    2. Wimax updates have been merged and is re-enabled for future official builds.
    3. Vim was removed when I switched over to the mini builds a few weeks ago. If anyone has been missing it, it has been re-added.
    4. M12 builds come next week (usually friday). L source comes soon and we'll see if the epic can manage another update. No promises.
    12/10/2013
    - All kernel & device patches included in the latest build have been merged or uploaded to gerrit (to possibly be merged later).
    - Additional patches necessary for the build include the following:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55500/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55109/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55110/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55111/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55512/ (12/11/13) Merged.

- Recommended gapps: http://d-h.st/eWW (12/09).
    Um... maybe?

uploadfromtaptalk1392742029361.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app