[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11.0 Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

BloatedDuck404

May 5, 2012
Crazy that 4.4 made it to this phone so fast. If I still had this I would give it a whirl. You guys ported KK before the devs for the One X. We are still on JB 4.3.1

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
bbelos you sir are awesome!

i do not have any more bugs to report than are already mentioned, but i did get my data connection to come back after turning wifi on and then off. *#*#info#*#* in the dialer, then phone information, then hit the menu button and select radio band. the menu will fc like it should and kick you out of the phone info menu, just go back into it and set "set preferred network type" to cdma auto and data will reconnect. not a great workaround, but a workaround nonetheless. hopefully that helps anyone listening to figure out the reconnection bug.

also, i noticed the keyboard apk is rather large, we can cut out some of that bloat by ripping extra languages out of the apk. i'm guessing from past experiences we can reduce it's size from 40mb to around 10-12mb at the largest. other apks can have bloat (like images for ldpi, mdpi, etc, we are hdpi right?) removed to save some space too.

also on the cannot install apks front, has anyone tried es file explorer's auto apk installer?

long live the epic!

edit: ripped languages out of LatinIME.apk using 7zip in the /res/raw/ folder, and reduced size of keyboard from 40mb to 3mb. way better than I even dreamed of.

Last edited:
Reactions: tehNYAZ

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
Sorry for double post, but also figured out that using anycut from market and making a shortcut to the first cdma options link in the list works to restore data too. When clicked, an fc for phone pops up, hit ok, and data will reconnect. Seems to shock data back into working for now.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

bbelos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2011
Chicago
New build posted in the OP.

Changes:
- More features added back in (ribbon, quick settings options).
- Package installing from file manager fixed.
- Other merges since last build.

Issues:
- Black boxes in browser still there.
- Wifi/Mobile data toggle shuffle still necessary

Nexus11

Jan 26, 2011
The device only has around 500mb of internal storage ? Is this correct if so how can I manage the space to get all the apps I need on? App2SD is not fully useful anymore as many apps don't allow it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: whoshotjr2006

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
The device only has around 500mb of internal storage ? Is this correct if so how can I manage the space to get all the apps I need on? App2SD is not fully useful anymore as many apps don't allow it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I use self build kernel with old partition and edit pa modular gapps till left the core only (about 20mb) & last remove aosp keyboard from rom, with this steps still enough space for me ;)

edit: even with that steps, with 50 apps installed (mostly on sdcard) still have low space trouble when enabling ART :(

Last edited:
Reactions: tehNYAZ and bbelos

gfdos.sys

Jan 23, 2012
I use self build kernel with old partition and edit pa modular gapps till left the core only (about 20mb) & last remove aosp keyboard from rom, with this steps still enough space for me ;)

edit: even with that steps, with 50 apps installed (mostly on sdcard) still have low space trouble when enabling ART :(

What I have noticed is even with moving apps to SD (using titanium backup) all the apps get mini cached versions in internal (/cache or /data I think....) Clearing dalvik-cache temporarily fixes this.... But they rebuild....

Now I'm taking extreme (146 apps installed).
Using titanium, you can back up a system app, remove it from the ROM and reinstall and move it to SD.... However that places a lot of faith in your SD card....and you really want a class 10 or higher SD card if you are going to do anything like that....

How can I go about resizing the partitions.... Even if I have to modify something, Odin back to stock, and reinstall a modified ROM to take the freed space from system and make it available for the "caching" of the apps I'm moving to SD card?

I ask because on a clean install of this....within a few hours of running it without installing anything but Google chrome, I'm pushed out of space by huge google +, hangout, and other automatic updates.

Finally....how does all of this work with ART?.... I got the impression that ART some how uses more space but offers faster app starting than dalvik.... Also noting titanium backup doesn't yet appear to play nice with ART...it won't even open if I have ART on.... I have to switch to dalvik.... Do all my titianum move to SD stuff, then switch back to ART and reboot.

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
Have to say ART still on early stage, not all apps compatible with it. Like superuser (root access) from stock will lost, need flash SU zip to make root works again and need proper gapps to avoid crash. TiBU, whatsapp etc also known as not working under ART. With all that limitation, I'm just happy to see ART works well in this build :)

About the low space in our device, I just think about old ext2sd tweak that being left behind... maybe it will a good way to solve low space problem.

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
I don't have a whole lot of time to read through previous posts to see if these bugs have already been mentioned, so...not including the ones I mentioned earlier, here's more I've noticed..

-tapping the menu button a second time does not close menu's, it only acts to open them
-(edit: nevermind this one, it was from messing with settings) the toggles on the standard pull down which were missing from the first build disappeared again after the first reboot and have not come back
-hidden dialer menu's do not accept the MSL; "Modem Exception Errors"
-improper resolution when using the menu key in landscape on the home screen
-in the app drawer, menu key opens the wrong menu
-on the home screen, the google search icons do not appear in landscape when you slide open the keyboard; you must press the home key once in landscape to make them appear
-improper resolution on the tiles in pull down in landscape
edit #3: you cannot remove icons from home while in landscape (rendered off screen due to resolution?)

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
when activating screen record (from the Kitkat Screen Record app) the phone immediately restarts after trying to launch an app

I understand there is no built in UI for this, and is designed to be used by terminal/adb... I mentioned this problem in a review of the app and the developer replied saying something to the tune of the phone not supporting it

to the contrary, screen recording is a native function of kitkat and that app is merely a 3rd party front-end to enter the respective terminal commands.

possible bug here?

edit:
also, KSM + ZRAM are supposed to be natively supported, and are not appearing in the Performance options

to my knowledge, Performance options is a part of CM though so perhaps the addition of these options just aren't merged into this build yet? active + not shown or inactive + not shown? I'm just thinking out loud lol

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
edit:
also, KSM + ZRAM are supposed to be natively supported, and are not appearing in the Performance options

to my knowledge, Performance options is a part of CM though so perhaps the addition of these options just aren't merged into this build yet? active + not shown or inactive + not shown? I'm just thinking out loud lol

As far as I know, KSM and ZRAM aren't universally supported... You see, I have 5 devices at hand, but only Nexus 4 has KSM+ZRAM+PurgeAssets in Performance menu.

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
As far as I know, KSM and ZRAM aren't universally supported... You see, I have 5 devices at hand, but only Nexus 4 has KSM+ZRAM+PurgeAssets in Performance menu.

I don't have the link on hand but refer to google's (developer version) of kitkat's changes/new features.

it explicitly states that the above are now supported.

before kitkat, they were mods. now, they are (supposedly?) native

9823j4ia

Oct 20, 2013
Recommended steps before you install:
1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM11.0 for the first time.

Where can I download these apps onto my PC? I don't have internet on my phone (no data plan, no wifi).

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
I don't have the link on hand but refer to google's (developer version) of kitkat's changes/new features.

it explicitly states that the above are now supported.

before kitkat, they were mods. now, they are (supposedly?) native

Then again, in the CM11 builds of IncS and GNex, I only saw the same set of "performance" options as before...
I don't care 'cuz they don't seem to improve performance drastically.

Sent from Samsung Captivate Glide @ CM10.2

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Then again, in the CM11 builds of IncS and GNex, I only saw the same set of "performance" options as before...
I don't care 'cuz they don't seem to improve performance drastically.

is this not the very same point i just made? lol

it's supposed to be native. stock AOSP built from source directly from google "as is" i think it would be a fair assumption to say would not have options to turn on/off and/or modify these features, even in the developer options.

the Performance settings i presume are a part of CM and based on that, to the extent that the CM project starts from scratch on each device +/- android version, it must be manually reapplied. not having those settings on other builds means little as it's a per-phone per-version basis.

you are essentially playing Devil's Advocate lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 11.0 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a build of CM11.0 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are any build prior to the 11/12 CM11.0 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. If updating from a build prior to 11/12, it is recommended to format /system, /data, and /cache AFTER making your backup.

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM11.0 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM11.0 build, or a modified/patched Official CM11.0 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them.

Nightly Builds
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=epicmtd

Known Issues:

- 3g data basically works - Although it has the wifi/mobile data toggle bug again. Disable mobile data before turning on wifi for best results. Fixed 12/04

- Stock browser (and anything else using webviews) - Big black boxes. Use another browser temporarily until fixed. Fixed 11/17

- Wimax temporarily disabled

- Current bluetooth behavior untested for improvement.

- Wired headset mic & buttons. (Yeah, Yeah, someday...)

- Probably more.

Previous preview Builds
    cm-11-20140101-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131226-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131211-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131210-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131206-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131205-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131117-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-11-20131112-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip
    Potentially Unstable Build - 12/04
    Alot more features have been added back in, but I've been experiencing some weirdness especially after a reboot. Certain issues seem to be tied to certain gapps packages. I have not determined the best one to use, but I post this build for those of you who want something more current.

Features (including but not limited to the following, some of which may have already existed in previous builds):
    *** I think I have taken even more space from /data to give to /system. Make your backups before flashing ***
    - Working data (data toggle shuffle no longer necessary)
    - Quick access ribbon
    - Quick access panel (with Torch enabled)
    - Circle battery
    - Lockscreen shortcuts
    - Vibrator intensity and capacitive button backlight control

cm-11-20131204-UNOFFICIAL-epicmtd.zip

EDIT:
    Stable version
    This version uses the boot.img from the 11/17 build (thanks to didhiy for experimenting), therefore it has the same partition layout as the 11/17 build. Should be safe to flash over the 11/17 build, but backups are still always recommended.

cm-11-20131204-UNOFFICIAL-fixed-epicmtd.zip
    1. Contact list export limit patches were merged the other day.
    2. Wimax updates have been merged and is re-enabled for future official builds.
    3. Vim was removed when I switched over to the mini builds a few weeks ago. If anyone has been missing it, it has been re-added.
    4. M12 builds come next week (usually friday). L source comes soon and we'll see if the epic can manage another update. No promises.
    12/10/2013
    - All kernel & device patches included in the latest build have been merged or uploaded to gerrit (to possibly be merged later).
    - Additional patches necessary for the build include the following:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55500/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55109/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55110/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55111/
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/55512/ (12/11/13) Merged.

- Recommended gapps: http://d-h.st/eWW (12/09).
    Um... maybe?

uploadfromtaptalk1392742029361.jpg