Z ultra root or no root

Search This thread

Explorer2012

Dec 10, 2012
I just bought z ultra
Kindly advice should I root it or not, I have read couple of feedback that its stock is already powerful

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app

x5starguerillaa

Oct 26, 2010
Blackburn
I totally understand the need for root fot a lot of users.......that being said this is the first and only phone ive had in 5 years that I have not felt the need to root/unlock bootloader................................. YET!

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

samsmalls

Mar 7, 2012
Chicago
All i can really say is; If you have to ask, you don't need it.

Yep, because if one needs root, the question is... "What's the most recent / best method?"

My advise, don't worry about root until you need root access. I was doing fine without it until Sony decided to screw up sound enhancements on its latest software update. If you aren't on .136, my advice wait till kit Kat to make a decision on updating/rooting!:good:

TheFixerAK

Aug 14, 2010
Just to chime in here, I have a desire for root, but I'm still stock/no-root.

I know folks might disagree with me, but after reading pages and pages of howto's, etc. I've determined there is no way to backup your stock phone (TA partition/DRM keys) etc with any of the current methods.

To root you must unlock your boot loader, when you unlock your bootloader, your TA partition and DRM keys are gone.

This means you have voided your warranty and can never restore to a truly stock phone.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know you can revert all the way back to version 532, root the phone and then backup your TA, etc. This is a WHOLE lot of steps that if you aren't careful can leave you with a $700 brick. If your nervous at all about these multi-step processes, than just leave your phone alone.

As many have said, I really haven't even thought about a custom ROM for this phone. The ONLY thing I miss is being able to do a nandroid backup, as it's such a pain to rebuild my phone if something goes wonky.

-TheFixer

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Just to chime in here, I have a desire for root, but I'm still stock/no-root.

I know folks might disagree with me, but after reading pages and pages of howto's, etc. I've determined there is no way to backup your stock phone (TA partition/DRM keys) etc with any of the current methods.

To root you must unlock your boot loader, when you unlock your bootloader, your TA partition and DRM keys are gone.

This means you have voided your warranty and can never restore to a truly stock phone.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know you can revert all the way back to version 532, root the phone and then backup your TA, etc. This is a WHOLE lot of steps that if you aren't careful can leave you with a $700 brick. If your nervous at all about these multi-step processes, than just leave your phone alone.

As many have said, I really haven't even thought about a custom ROM for this phone. The ONLY thing I miss is being able to do a nandroid backup, as it's such a pain to rebuild my phone if something goes wonky.

-TheFixer

Wimp

I, and many of the other power users/posters (hamdogg, LordManhatton, [NUT], krabappel, DoomLord), have gone back and forth many times and have tested all of the steps. There were lots of Z1 (and a few ZU) bricks, mostly by flashing .290 without bootboundle.

The steps are simple, and you dont even need to unlock the BL to have root on .290/136

Flash [NUT]'s .532
Root w1th Bin4ry's tool
Backup TA
Unlock BL
Upgrade to latest FTF (or if on locked BL follow the steps for .290 and then .136)

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
I just bought z ultra
Kindly advice should I root it or not, I have read couple of feedback that its stock is already powerful

My reasoning:
to root because:
1. I can mod the system app as i like too (camera, quick toggle, xposed, etc)
2. I can do easier and real backup with Titanium Backup
3. I can find alternative ROM when the stock ROM is not there anymore

not to root because:
1. It has unremovable battery, so i don't want to have it died faster with all that plug/unplug ordeal
2. i got all the service that was offered at the time of purchase, i just want to enjoy it as long as i can
3. The stock ROM is enough for me
4. Helium/Carbon Backup is there to substitute TiBu

So each of the way is good in for some reason. For me the the urge to mod is dead if you are not rooted (obvious) but there are a lot of other ways to do a modding, for instance, do your own program might be a better approach to fill on your own needs. There are more than one ways to Rome anyway ;)

macexplorer

Jul 20, 2009
My reasoning:
to root because:
1. I can mod the system app as i like too (camera, quick toggle, xposed, etc)
2. I can do easier and real backup with Titanium Backup
3. I can find alternative ROM when the stock ROM is not there anymore

Good one!!

rooting the latest is a pain. But i didnt start using my phone, till i had safely rooted it.

hailmary

Jan 10, 2009
manila
www.facebook.com
This is the only phone i havent rooted yet sincee the eclair era...no need.already powerful.smooth fast clear.nothing left to tweak n screw for me.best one yet.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lightbird

Dec 28, 2013
i dont root till Sony didnt released the last Firmware. If that gives me the Power to move Apps to SD the phone stays unrooted. If not i go for root, because of the size of my apps and because of the option Titanium Backup gives me

stevefwt

Dec 17, 2009
This is the only Android phone I have kept the stock ROM. I rooted it a couple of times but kept going back to the stable stock rom. The phone is naturally fast and smooth and has good memory and battery management as standard.

Need something else? then root.

I just bought z ultra

stopa10

Aug 1, 2007
I think the main reason to root these days is to use Xposed. Sony stock roms+Xposed make a wonderful combination of features and stability.

Just to give an example, with Xposed you can have the features of (what used to be) Paranoid Android on a Sony stock rom.

This said, it is true that rooting .290/.136 firmwares may be a pain in the ass, but anyone that follows instructions carefully should be able to do it safely.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheFixerAK

Aug 14, 2010
Wimp

I, and many of the other power users/posters (hamdogg, LordManhatton, [NUT], krabappel, DoomLord), have gone back and forth many times and have tested all of the steps. There were lots of Z1 (and a few ZU) bricks, mostly by flashing .290 without bootboundle.

The steps are simple, and you dont even need to unlock the BL to have root on .290/136

Flash [NUT]'s .532
Root w1th Bin4ry's tool
Backup TA
Unlock BL
Upgrade to latest FTF (or if on locked BL follow the steps for .290 and then .136)

Wimp I am when it comes to my primary work device :) I have lots of other older devices that I've hacked the crap out of (I can't count how many ROM's I've put on my GT7.7) and my Dell Streak wasn't even useful until I put a custom ROM it.

None of what you described above is something that I haven't done with other devices (But never with my current everyday primary device). That being said, My original statement still stands - there is no SIMPLE way to ROOT your phone and keep/backup the original config/partitions. My last 3 devices, I downloaded an App, clicked the button and whammo, Root.

Until I absolutely need it, I'll just stick with Stock/No-Root (That is of course unless someone creates a Whammo solution). :)

Explorer2012

Dec 10, 2012
Thank you all for your response.
I have decidedto stick to the stock ROM for time being.

Once again I truly appreciate your response