Signal increase or modem upgrade?

Search This thread

longred1

Feb 14, 2008
Does anyone know how to boost signal or increase power of antenna!
Here is my problem:, I have a rooted Sprint Galaxy S4 and I work at Atlanta Airport.. My meter shows I have 3 bars and 4 g is connected but I have miserable speeds not even 1meg a second..... My coworkers have Verizon and t mobile and there's be there incredible!
Does anyone know of any fixes or tweaks that I can do to boost my power to my antenna? I do not mind if it uses too much battery because my phone is plugged in most of the day . I have flashed mf9 and now on mja hoping that the baseband would change something for me but nothing works. Anybody know anything that will help? Thank you all in advance.
Sincerely, hopeless

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

backdown

Jul 7, 2010
If it's stock, you can just go into settings and update all of your settings. Restart the phone and see if your signal has increased.

If not, you can flash a new model via Odin.

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010

That's the answer to your question. But seriously, there is nothing you can do to improve on an issue that is on Sprint's end, without changing carriers. Don't waste your time flashing modems. The price we pay for unlimited data is Sprint's crappy network. To give you an idea, I can't get 4G in downtown Manhattan.

leaderbuilder

That's the answer to your question. But seriously, there is nothing you can do to improve on an issue that is on Sprint's end, without changing carriers. Don't waste your time flashing modems. The price we pay for unlimited data is Sprint's crappy network. To give you an idea, I can't get 4G in downtown Manhattan.

? Try the latest modern, nae. Update your prl and profile after flashing it.

Attachments

• 1396248102428.jpg
    1396248102428.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 122

max229

Jan 6, 2014
Some phones have (had anyway) a jack under the battery for a real external antenna. If your phone has that you could get a little microwave antenna from a local radio shop clip it on and put them both on your desk. A bit cumbersome but this is your only real solution unless a new tower is added by your carrier.

Sent via mobile

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
? Try the latest modern, nae. Update your prl and profile after flashing it.

I realized that flashing different modems is a waste of time a long time ago, back when I had my Evo and S2. It doesn't do anything significant regarding network speeds or signal strength (that can't be attributed to network load or latency). Anything you do to your device will not fix Sprint's crappy network. While I have seen speeds similar to what you posted (and better), I average less than 10 Mbps on LTE, and that is assuming I get LTE in the first place. This has not changed through the various baseband updates that my phone received.

For the record, I am on NAE, and have been trying to get 4G in parts of downtown Manhattan since I got my device a year ago. Still waiting. If not for unlimited data, I would have dumped sprint years ago. My GF has the same phone on AT&T, and gets LTE practically everywhere. There are places that she has LTE where my phone struggles with 3G.

Last edited:

longred1

Feb 14, 2008
I never seem to be in 3g...it always shows 4G and 3/4 bars. I've purchased the force roaming prl helper and it does not help data. Nor do I think it is supposed to. I was only doing it so I could put a lot of roaming data on the account so that sprint would try and kick me out of my contract!
I think I will go with T Mobile.

longred1

Feb 14, 2008
I had flashed MJA and mk2 with no help. I tried NAE but could not get wifi working on it so I gave up. I just don't believe that NAE will be any better than the other ones so I gave up!

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
I never seem to be in 3g...it always shows 4G and 3/4 bars. I've purchased the force roaming prl helper and it does not help data. Nor do I think it is supposed to. I was only doing it so I could put a lot of roaming data on the account so that sprint would try and kick me out of my contract!
I think I will go with T Mobile.

Seriously. You are pathetic to force roam your phone so Sprint would kick you out for excessive roaming. Grow some and pay your ETF if you are serious about leaving sprint or trying out a different company.
Just based on that sentence I personally refuse to help you out at all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

longred1

Feb 14, 2008
With two phones it is close to $650! You pay it for me smart guy! Why should I have to pay, when Sprint is not providing a service that I am paying for? Would you not be upset if you are paying $150 a month or something that sucks?

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
With two phones it is close to $650! You pay it for me smart guy! Why should I have to pay, when Sprint is not providing a service that I am paying for? Would you not be upset if you are paying $150 a month or something that sucks?

You know what you signed up for. If you didn't know Sprint was crap in your area I have to say that is your own fault for not doing some research to see what provides the best and most affordable service before you signed the contract. Since you signed it suck it up and deal with it. I have 5 lines with Sprint so it would be over $2000 to pay ETF if I planned on leaving , which I dont. And I'm paying almost $80 more a month. Yeah sometimes the service does suck and 3G data speeds can be horrific at times. But I know Sprint provides me with the most reliable service for texting and making calls (the true function of a phone) for the cheapest price. So I deal with it.

You can sell the two phones and that will cover most of the ETF. Then move on to another company. Did you even think or consider this option?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk