[Q] Motorola RAZR MAXX (not droid razr maxx)

Search This thread

kch197513

Aug 7, 2014
Ok, so i'm starting a new thread regarding the MOTOROLA RAZR MAXX, not to be confused with the VERIZON Droid Razr Maxx. I have a Motorola razr maxx XT908, it is GSM and UMTS compatible and CDMA as well. I've spoken with Verizon, AT&T, Net10, Motorola and asurion and nobody can help me. However, the phone is capable of 3g GSM HSDPA , so I'll need to remove the Verizon XT912 software and find GSM HSDPA compatible software. This isn't a case of simply wanting to move to another network, it's driven by the lack of Verizon service at my home.
Basically its an XT908 that thinks it's an XT912. Since I won't be using the MEID number with CDMA it will work with a GSM 3g HSDPA sim card.
Does anyone know what software is available out there to make this happen? Thanks!

kch197513

Aug 7, 2014
How can I convert razr xt912 to an xt910 GSM , it's an xt908

Can Someone tell me, step by step what I need to do to convert my Motorola razr maxx xt908 which is running Verizon xt912 to an xt910 for use on US GSM hsdpa networks? This phone is unrooted, bone stock and I need clear instructions on what I need to complete this. I'm completely lost in the wasteland of information on rooting, backing up and what I need to do this. I will glady donate to a reliable source for this operation.
Is there a way to wipe the traces of Verizon's system version, baseband version , etc and install a GSM based version?
There must be!!

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I'm confused why you think you have the xt908 if it has the VZW xt912 software and it's never been modified. Just because the phones share most everything does not mean the software / firmware is compatible between the 2. For future reference, some of the Motos can be unlocked, and the xt912 is already unlocked for international use (after the ICS update and beyond) but will not work in the US for GSM. The xt907 and xt926 (some variants) can but the quest for unlocking the xt912 for domestic GSM use never went anywhere.

kch197513

Aug 7, 2014
xt912 on xt908

I'm confused why you think you have the xt908 if it has the VZW xt912 software and it's never been modified. Just because the phones share most everything does not mean the software / firmware is compatible between the 2. For future reference, some of the Motos can be unlocked, and the xt912 is already unlocked for international use (after the ICS update and beyond) but will not work in the US for GSM. The xt907 and xt926 (some variants) can but the quest for unlocking the xt912 for domestic GSM use never went anywhere.

I've researched it, I spoke with asurion, they sent me this NIB Motorola razr maxx xt908 after they sent me a refurbed phone that still had problems. I spoke with tech support and asked them if they provide this phone to non Verizon customers and he said yes. The bottom line is, the phone has both cdma radio and GSM, but the Verizon model has the gsm usage blocked in the US, all I'm looking to do is convert this phone over to a GSM based software, similar to what Asurion does when they get an order to replace a phone. If you are Asurion, wouldn't you want one model phone that you can configure for use with any carrier? So they get the order to replace, load the Verizon firmware, pack it up and ship it out. I also spoke with Motorola about this, they didn't say it couldn't be done, all they said was I'll void the warranty. The phone was new, it says XT908 right on it, so obviously its able to run different versions of firmware, otherwise I would have an xt912. not an xt908 running Verizon firmware. There is no branding on this phone, it does not say Verizon on it.

This is what I want to do: back up the phone using android SDK, completely wipe the phone, not factory reset, no safestrap, then install xt910 firmware for use with gsm carriers. My only other options are to ebay it for 100 bux or give it to my kids to play on. The problem I'm having is finding accurate resources with links that work to complete it.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I've researched it, I spoke with asurion, they sent me this NIB Motorola razr maxx xt908 after they sent me a refurbed phone that still had problems. I spoke with tech support and asked them if they provide this phone to non Verizon customers and he said yes. The bottom line is, the phone has both cdma radio and GSM, but the Verizon model has the gsm usage blocked in the US, all I'm looking to do is convert this phone over to a GSM based software, similar to what Asurion does when they get an order to replace a phone. If you are Asurion, wouldn't you want one model phone that you can configure for use with any carrier? So they get the order to replace, load the Verizon firmware, pack it up and ship it out. I also spoke with Motorola about this, they didn't say it couldn't be done, all they said was I'll void the warranty. The phone was new, it says XT908 right on it, so obviously its able to run different versions of firmware, otherwise I would have an xt912. not an xt908 running Verizon firmware. There is no branding on this phone, it does not say Verizon on it.

This is what I want to do: back up the phone using android SDK, completely wipe the phone, not factory reset, no safestrap, then install xt910 firmware for use with gsm carriers. My only other options are to ebay it for 100 bux or give it to my kids to play on. The problem I'm having is finding accurate resources with links that work to complete it.

My understanding about the xt908 is that it is a different variant for smaller US CDMA carriers and isn't possible to unlock for GSM. Definitely wouldn't be able to put the xt910 firmware on there.

kch197513

Aug 7, 2014
Last edited:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Unfortunately, that's actually not it. That variant doesn't have CDMA meaning VZW software wouldn't work at all. Moto decided to do their model naming while they were drunk. They also have 2 different versions of the xt912 and xt926 (the it's just that Maxx and non Maxx variants, but still...) But yours is a repurposed one from a small CDMA carrier like this: Motorola RAZR™ MAXX XT908 • Illinois Valley Cellular These are NOT the same, despite the model # because they do make a CDMA xt908 and GSM only. The software / firmware will not be compatible between.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app