[ROM] BakaG2X 2011-11-20 (FINAL RELEASE (maybe not)) [2.3.3]

Search This thread

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
nice lookin rom, gonna be trying this later. is anyone having any random reboots or SOD's ? i get those occasionally on weapon rom, lookin to get away from that:eek:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
nice lookin rom, gonna be trying this later. is anyone having any random reboots or SOD's ? i get those occasionally on weapon rom, lookin to get away from that:eek:
I'm thinking that the reboots on weapon's rom are because of all the optimization on it. Any basic stock with little custom things to it I've never had issues, my best guess is you shouldn't have very many, to no issues on this rom.

kingdomseed

Aug 22, 2009
I have been have some regular issues now with this ROM since I have been using it for about a day. After sometime, and it seems if I use the notification bar to go to a text message, the screen becomes super uncalibrated and when I touch somewhere on the screen, it reads that touch as something else entirely even to the point where it will type out a whole word in the text message field if I tap one letter on the keyboard. It is very strange. Even at one point, I was trying to type a letter at the top of the keyboard but it was reading that tap as a drag from the bottom right side of the keyboard, complete with trace in Swype. This brokenness extends to every part of the interface and requires a reboot to fix.

jose makalolot

Aug 21, 2009
Florida
I'm thinking that the reboots on weapon's rom are because of all the optimization on it. Any basic stock with little custom things to it I've never had issues, my best guess is you shouldn't have very many, to no issues on this rom.

Is your sms fixed on this build? Hehehehe...

-----------
sent from my calculator with android

Hey, thanks for answering my question directed at someone else!! :rolleyes:

The reason I asked is because the base 2.3.4 is much faster and more stable and has gtalk video.

Huh? Gtalk video has long been working on 2.3.3 builds.

-----------

Last edited by a moderator:

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
I have been have some regular issues now with this ROM since I have been using it for about a day. After sometime, and it seems if I use the notification bar to go to a text message, the screen becomes super uncalibrated and when I touch somewhere on the screen, it reads that touch as something else entirely even to the point where it will type out a whole word in the text message field if I tap one letter on the keyboard. It is very strange. Even at one point, I was trying to type a letter at the top of the keyboard but it was reading that tap as a drag from the bottom right side of the keyboard, complete with trace in Swype. This brokenness extends to every part of the interface and requires a reboot to fix.

Strange, I made no changes to the SMS or Swype code - it is as LG provided it. Which, of course, doesn't mean much LOL... I will take a look.

Huh? Gtalk video has long been working on 2.3.3 builds.
-----------

If LG didn't include it, I didn't add it. Will certainly look at doing so, as it is something I would use. For some reason I thought 2.3.3 had video built in. My Vibrant (froyo) roots are showing, aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

tdizzle404

Nov 27, 2010
North Georgia
Hey, thanks for answering my question directed at someone else!! :rolleyes:

The reason I asked is because the base 2.3.4 is much faster and more stable and has gtalk video.

Then flash a 2.3.4 rom:confused:
This rom is fast and stable.

Great job on the rom man!
home screen lag has been noted "no biggie"
I like the animations they are pretty cool "adds a lil jazz!:cool:"

rjsvoon

Mar 13, 2011
Seattle
Great Rom

I flashed this today, and after about 8 hours I'm reporting that it is all world. I set up a pattern lock, and have experienced absolutely no lag. I have flashed virtually every rom available for the G2X, every combination of kernels, and this is the first rom that allows me to actually make calls via wifi calling THROUGH my bluetooth headset. So does not only everything work that's supposed to, something actually works that I'd given up hope for. And since I have zero bars at home, I'm one of those guys that needs wifi calling or I have no phone. Thanks for the great rom! (I'm using faux's GB 1.3 kernel, primarily for voodoo.)

thanasisc4

Feb 19, 2011
Then flash a 2.3.4 rom:confused:
This rom is fast and stable.

Great job on the rom man!
home screen lag has been noted "no biggie"
I like the animations they are pretty cool "adds a lil jazz!:cool:"

Yes, you are confused. This rom was originally based on 2.3.4 (albeit that build was in another thread) but jboxer didn't appreciate it.

That rom was the best because it had all the features of this rom but based on 2.3.4, the 2.3.4 roms currently available don't have these features.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

tdizzle404

Nov 27, 2010
North Georgia
Yes, you are confused. This rom was originally based on 2.3.4 (albeit that build was in another thread) but jboxer didn't appreciate it.

That rom was the best because it had all the features of this rom but based on 2.3.4, the 2.3.4 roms currently available don't have these features.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Yea I know ,I'm actually still using it

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
the homescreen lag must be only with the stock launcher. i switched to launcherpro and it was gone immediately. smooth rom btw, also i like the mario sound for the shutdown :D

lotherius

Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Great ROM man.

BTW, using ADW EX and it seems to fixed that home screen lag that people are talking about shortly after unlocking the phone.

I strongly considered including ADW as the default home. Unfortunately, the market free version is quite out of date compared to EX. And, the Cyanogen version has its settings integrated into the settings.apk.

I'm still open for suggestions to replace Launcher2. Launcher Pro lags hard on bootup for me no matter what phone it's on. I've even considered including the Xperia Arc launcher, but it has a few setup issues that make it not as seamless.

the homescreen lag must be only with the stock launcher. i switched to launcherpro and it was gone immediately. smooth rom btw, also i like the mario sound for the shutdown :D

The Mario sound is just a bit of the "Japanese" touch I've got going on. Obviously, from the name (Baka) I am a Japanophile. However, I don't want the ROM to shout "japanese/otaku" so much that it is unusable by anyone... thus the default wallpaper is tame, and the more Otaku-style wall that I have on the last screenshot is hidden in the Launcher2 wallpaper gallery (which means you'd need to set it before switching Launchers).. Also the default ringtone is from one of my favorite animes. Kudos to anyone who recognizes it.

I am planning an update already, but I am really going to eat my own dogfood and test it for a while before sharing, because I've made a couple of changes that could affect overall stability if I did it wrong...

Last edited:

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Can't wait to see what you have in store. Honestly everything seems fast already, I think just completing the theme more is the only thing. Could you make the battery bar blue as well instead of green?

And the color for selecting things such as in Settings is still the stock Orange color. Hopefully it can be changed to blue sometime to match the theme.

As for launchers, I agree, the free ADW is just too outdated. I think you should leave it as the stock for now as LP has it's issues. Or maybe Go Launcher?

hesher

Nov 8, 2011
Can anyone coming from Weapon recomend this over Weapon 3.0? I am wondering if I should switch. How is the battery life compared to Weapon?

lotherius

Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
I think just completing the theme more is the only thing. Could you make the battery bar blue as well instead of green? And the color for selecting things such as in Settings is still the stock Orange color. Hopefully it can be changed to blue sometime to match the theme.

Marked down in my notes :) Many modders begin by theming first.. Myself, I jumped straight into hacking smali code, etc... and bypassed theming a lot! So I missed a few bits. That I can fix without making things too complicated.

Trying to avoid adding too much off the bat, I prefer minimalism since everyone customizes their own way. However, framework and systemui edits aren't something just anyone can do so I should take care of those out of the box.

Can anyone coming from Weapon recomend this over Weapon 3.0? I am wondering if I should switch. How is the battery life compared to Weapon?

Honestly it is based on the same build as Weapon. From what I can tell, things should be comparable as far as battery life is concerned. The only tweak I've done that I didn't see in Weapon that might have an affect is removing the OmaDmclient update client which appears to still be running in Weapon (correct me if I'm wrong). That required some smali editing on Settings.apk so normally you can't remove that without causing the about screen to crash - which I fixed by removing the update code from settings entirely.

Other than that, they're actually very similar underneath the surface. Weapon has EDT tweaks, which I don't, but that's not going to affect battery life. I could add EDT tweaks if people want, but it's mostly just for customization. And, of course, Weapon has TouchWiz 4 - which is nice if you like it as a launcher. I may make an "update pack" that allows you to use TW4 on BakaG2X, but I'm not a fan of it. Then of course are the lockscreens ;)... which I'm not a big fan of because they tend to be unstable a bit. I *could* add them, but then I'd feel like I was copying Weapon, because that's basically what I'd be doing unless I went back to the vibrant source and ported from there...

At this early stage, there's not a lot of features unique to this ROM. I am adding a couple of new things not so easy to add that don't exist in Weapon, but that's still in testing :) I can say, though, that one of the new features I'm testing will help users manage battery life... and isn't easy to add to a ROM unless you're rebuilding it yourself (or using CM7).

That answer got way longer than anybody wanted, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: mackster248

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Yeah I see what you mean, thanks for the feedback! I don't think you need to add EDT Tweaks. It's fine with out it. Could you make it so that the volume rockers snaps a photo?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BakaG2X 2011-11-20 (Final 2.3.3 Version - OR IS IT?)
    ---------
    NOTE:
    --

Here is a pretty clean and basic ROM based on the LG 2.3.3 OTA.
    It is designed for those who want a good clean base to do their OWN addons to, while removing more bloat than was added.

This is the FINAL release of BakaG2X on 2.3.3. I will also release a 2.3.4 ROM, but it will be offered separately.

WiFi Calling is included as T-Mobile's signal is horrible. Thank you.

UPDATE NOTES:
    This version cleans up a few things in the theme primarily, and sets a couple of tweaks that weren't done before. Not a big change over the previous version. The only build available comes with Wifi Calling. If you don't WANT wifi calling, you can simply remove Kineto.apk from the /system/app folder, and I recommend doing so if you don't use it.

The biggest theme change can be seen on the notification pulldown here, and I've updated that screenshot.

As before, bloat is available in the various bloat packs. If you have downloaded these before, you don't need to download them again, there have been no changes to those packs.

---------
    CORE BUILD FEATURES:

• 11/20 - ICS Animations (capez) - tweaked animation speeds
    • 11/20 - Remove Battery Full & Battery Low Warnings but I LEFT the last Shutdown Warning..
    • 11/20 - init.rc support
    • 11/20 - Increased SD Read Ahead Cache to 3072
    • 11/20 - zipalign new apk's on bootup
    • 11/20 - new quick panel icons from O2X (smaller / textless)
    • 11/20 - shell utils: bash/nano/sysrw/sysro (if you don't know don't ask)
    • 11/20 - a few theme tweaks (notification ticker, carrier text, etc)
    • 11/17 - Three Flashable "Bloat" packs. You probably want at least one. SEE BELOW.
    • 11/17 - Google Talk with Video
    • 11/17 - Google Music (replaces stock Music.apk)
    • 11/17 - Toggle 2G Settings & Widget (TheMasterBaron)
    • 11/17 - Updated Google Apps as of 11-17.
    • 11/17 - busybox & su binaries updated.
    • Reboot/Recovery Menu (untermensch / sicopat)
    • Quick Panel Settings (dreamsforgotten)
    • Accurate Battery Mod
    • Removed LG Update process (was running all the time using ~10-20mb)
    • Updated Google Apps as of 11/15
    • CM7 Apps: Torch, E-Mail, Keyboard, Calculator, Sound Recorder
    • GPS Tweaks for USA. SuplRootCert added.
    • Misc build.prop edits (for gps/modversion/adb persist notify off)
    • Adblock Host file.
    • Theme bits (startup/shutdown/Roboto font/CRT Off/Lockscreen, etc)
    • Of course it is fully zipaligned.

Note: All Bloat Packs install to user applications, so you can uninstall bits you don't want.
    - This of course means you'd need to reflash Bloat packs if you happen to wipe.

BLOAT PACK 1: Recommended Bloat
    • Titanium Backup Free (it will detect if you have Pro key saved on SD)
    • MIUI Music
    • CM7 File Manager
    • Battery Calibration Tool
    • Wallpapers / Ringtones installed to SD for easy removal.

BLOAT PACK 2: Bloat T-Mobile Thinks You Want
    • AppPack, Books, T-Mobile-TV, Polaris Office, My Account,
    • Magic Smoke LWP, Visualizations LWP, Telenav, Zinio
    • Tegra Zone, NFS Shift, Nova.

Bloat Pack 3: Something I want and you probably don't.
    • Japanese Samsung iWnnIME Keyboard

KNOWN ISSUES - BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN NO SURPRISES
    - Bluetooth may crash upon pairing. This is fixed in my 2.3.4 Rom, Tsugi.
    - Kernels: I have tried both Faux123 and DragonG2X. They boot & Run, but have their own known issues. Cannot support them.
    - Lockscreen lag. This is an issue with any LG based ROM. Some report it doesn't happen if you use certain 3rd party launchers.
    - Toggle2G will ask for root permissions on bootup, and be denied automatically. You'll see a popup about that that goes away on its own. If you want to use the app, just open it manually and it will bring up the normal SuperUser prompt where you can approve superuser permissions.
    - Stock Camera. If you want LG-Cam, you know how to get it.
    - On the FIRST BOOT, the Media process will sometimes FC. It does not do this AFTER the first boot, and it doesn't always do it.

DOWNLOAD

CORE DOWNLOAD (REQUIRED): http://www.multiupload.com/6OWAQ1AWHK

BLOAT PACK 1 RECOMMENDED: http://www.multiupload.com/9LU6MFZYB8

BLOAT PACK 2 T-MOBILE BLOAT: http://www.multiupload.com/DKWTOBQ8TH

BLOAT PACK 3 JAPANESE IME: http://www.multiupload.com/M586LXB6VF

TESTING ICS ANIMATIONS: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19495046&postcount=78 - get the framework-res.apk and push it to /system/framework. Not flashable.

OVERCLOCK KERNEL: Faux123's 1.3 Kernel with FIXED BOOTUP TIME (Now boots up normally instead of rebuilding dalvik every time)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Flash the CORE DOWNLOAD first. Then flash any Bloat Packs you want. The Bloat Packs are not complete Roms. You must flash the CORE DOWNLOAD first, then select and flash any Bloat packs while you are still in CWM, or you can flash them later. Bloat packs don't wipe.

Alrighty, in the spirit of knowing that everyone loves to test stuff ;)

Here's a test build of BakaG2X for 12-09. It won't become the final because I have some more plans for the final version, but it's updated nonetheless, and I want to test it a bit before adding anything else:

1. CarHome from CM7
    2. add Bloater, Rom Manager, Titanium Backup
    3. fix bluetooth sound.ogg issue (would crash sometimes on pairing)
    4. init.d scripts from tsugi

It does still include the darker pulldown shade that BakaG2X had, which IMHO looks better than the one in Tsugi, but can be hard to read if an app forces black text on the notification - which they should not do but they do.

Really, there's not many changes. Honestly, Tsugi didn't get much in the way of new features over what I'd done in Baka because I spent so much time chasing bugs. *sigh*... Plus, this still has the reboot/recovery power menu options which *appear* to be working correctly at this time. I haven't tested for 0% shutdown issues (they may or may not be present, never got a good answer on that).

Consider it, at this time, a minor maintenance update. The biggest thing (for me) is the inclusion of Bloater (to which I plan to add more LG/G2X specific apps). You shouldn't need the Bloat Pack anymore since Bloater is much easier to use. Also, Bloater installs to /system/app to save your data space, and the Bloat Pack put stuff in data. So I wouldn't use the bloat pack at all.

Here's the link:

http://www.multiupload.com/B42VJOCHWM
    The only thing i've done to this rom is delete the wifi calling app "Kineto", I dont use it and dont like it running in the background.. Im trying to save/conserve as much battery juice as possible...
    I dont use the FB or Twitter app and my battery last almost twice as long, went from about 6hr to about 12hrs now...
    Anyone who wants more battery life, delete ur FB-Twitter (ect.) apps and just make a shortcut to your bookmark from browser of choice, for FB/Twitter..ect if u want to enable notifications just go to the website and enable email notification, thats my work around and its improved my battery life a great deal
    Ya no real issues here got a FC on media when the phone first booted up before signing into Google! Nothing since so it doesn't count lol. I was gonna Dow load and flash the latest but it wont let me from my phone for some reason, just hangs at untitled from mediafire, might try a different upload site. How bout a change log. Sorry if there is one I drank a bunch of nyquil about an hour ago so little I'm on the short memory side of things.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

The OP was updated with the 11-20 changes :)

Sorry about the media force close... It has happened to me, then it went away... I *think* it's due to the media scanner hitting a file on the sdcard that it can't scan properly... but maybe not. If anyone has a clue, I'll slip in a fix. However, like you, I've only ever seen it on FIRST boot.
    Okay, I think I've reached the limits of some of the issues in 2.3.4 I can fix... I just realized how much time I've been spinning my wheels with problems that just won't seem to go away.

We all know 2.3.3 has its own issues as well... But they're different issues.
    I have tested 2.3.3 and Bluetooth seemed to work better for me than it does on 2.3.4 ... however, I do still believe 2.3.4 is a little more stable when NOT using bluetooth. So really, it's about compromise.

So, soon I'm going to update BakaG2X to match Tsugi's fixes and features.

The next update on BakaG2X will just update to what Tsugi already has and it will be a FULL WIPE ONLY update. After that, I'll use the Intelligent Installer for no-wipe updates. I might need a couple of days for everything to bake and make sure I don't introduce new issues, but do expect to see an updated BakaG2X soon.