How To Partition SD Card With Ubuntu For Dummies

Search This thread

Gilliland12

Jul 19, 2009
To answer my own post with a quote from someone else:

Originally Posted by dumfuq View Post
If you just used fdisk, parted, or gparted then yes. All these programs do is parition the drive into logical units for filesystems. You still must create the actual filesystems.

From recovery
mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
mkswap /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

If you just shrunk the fat32 with parted or gparted then that is it. However if you wiped the original partition then that must be formatted as well. You should use windows for that.

julez456

Jun 9, 2008
I have the problem were both my g1 and windows wants to format my SD card, and im not sure how to fix it. I went back and used ubuntu again and repartitioned everything and i have the same error..

your sd card may be damaged. I had the same problem, bought a new card and formatted and partitioned it with no problems.

tq745

Aug 22, 2009
I seem to be having a similar problem as some others.

I have a brand new class 6 4 gig SD card and am trying to set it up to have a fat32, a ext3 and a linux swap.

I go into Ubuntu with no problems, and successfully partition the card into those three sections.

I remount it onto my G1 and the phone says blank card or wrong format. It then prompts me to format it.

I've tried creating one partition at a time and hitting apply. I've tried creating all three at once.

I dunno. Can't figure it out. Also I can't find the sd card when I use the card reader on the computer. Rather I can find it, but under the partition program it doesn't see it. So....???

Any one had any success in getting past this?

i'm having the same problem as this...just wondering if anyone found a solution to this?

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Does this actually work for the G1

The tutorial is very straightforward and I am now running Ubuntu without any issues. I also managed to partition a spare SD card (not a micro as I am just playing around). While the tutorial seems solid, and the process pretty simple, it seems that no one here is actually able to get it to work on their phone. So is it that everyone is doing it incorrectly or is there a step missing? I'd just like to know before I do it for real.

Last edited:

Gilliland12

Jul 19, 2009
The tutorial is very straightforward and I am now running Ubuntu without and issues. I also managed to partition a spare SD card (not a micro as I am just playing around). While the tutorial seems solid, and the process pretty simple, it seems that no one here is actually able to get it to work. So is it that everyone is doing it incorrectly or is there a step missing? I'd just like to know before I do it for real.

Works fine for me.

I had one card where I had to do the extra step that I previously posted and the other card did fine without any extra steps.

It's really rather simple. I've since redone it several times to clear out some extra stuff. Loving it.

The tutorial is very straightforward and I am now running Ubuntu without and issues. I also managed to partition a spare SD card (not a micro as I am just playing around). While the tutorial seems solid, and the process pretty simple, it seems that no one here is actually able to get it to work. So is it that everyone is doing it incorrectly or is there a step missing? I'd just like to know before I do it for real.

Guide is perfect and not missing any steps. You can't always go by what other people say. Alot of people think they know what there doing and decide not to read all the way. Why do you think there are so many bricks when there are so many warnings out there.

Vlad83

Aug 22, 2009
Miami
GParted doesn't see my card

I have a brand new 4gig class 6 card. I formatted it in windows and saw this write up so decided to repartition it. When I insert the card it appears on the desktop but when I open GParted it only recognizes my hard disk... What should I do?

Thanks for the help, I am a linux noob...

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
I have a brand new 4gig class 6 card. I formatted it in windows and saw this write up so decided to repartition it. When I insert the card it appears on the desktop but when I open GParted it only recognizes my hard disk... What should I do?

Thanks for the help, I am a linux noob...

your sd card reader probably needs driver updates---same thing happend to me.

so instead of updating the drivers or trying to figure that out. leave the sd card in your g1 and then plug your g1 into your usb once ubuntu is already up and running. then mount. it should show up :).

ALSO FOR THOSE WHO GET THE ERROR NOTIFICATION ABOUT BEING ASKED TO REFORMAT YOUR CARD. IGNORE THAT AND REBOOT YOUR G1. IT SHOULD GO AWAY AND WORK FINE.

Last edited:

so instead of updating the drivers or trying to figure that out. leave the sd card in your g1 and then plug your g1 into your usb once ubuntu is already up and running. then mount. it should show up :).

ALSO FOR THOSE WHO GET THE ERROR NOTIFICATION ABOUT BEING ASKED TO REFORMAT YOUR CARD. IGNORE THAT AND REBOOT YOUR G1. IT SHOULD GO AWAY AND WORK FINE.

Whats up opasha, no school today. You getting Ubuntu down now, glad you can help out here.

Vlad83

Aug 22, 2009
Miami

Thanks! Will give it a try when near a pc.

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
I assumed it was the usual...people not reading the whole tut first. It seemed to go rather smoothly in my tests. I was wondering, however, if this method would work to repartition an SD card. I'd like to add a linux-swap partition without losing data. I know of another method that I read on this board (have to find it again) but was wondering if I can do it this way as it appears to be simpler.

Vlad83

Aug 22, 2009
Miami
Yeah, doing it through my phone as opposed to the memory card reader solved the problem. Any idea how to update the memory card reader's drivers?

Aarronratner, you can make any partition you want with GParted.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
I assumed it was the usual...people not reading the whole tut first. It seemed to go rather smoothly in my tests. I was wondering, however, if this method would work to repartition an SD card. I'd like to add a linux-swap partition without losing data. I know of another method that I read on this board (have to find it again) but was wondering if I can do it this way as it appears to be simpler.

first, let me give my props to supremeteam256...he helped me from scratch to get to where i am now about learning stuff on android root etc.

now to ur question: yes you can use ubuntu for that. in fact, that is one of the easiest ways to partition ur sd card. i used it with supremeteam's instructions on splitting mine up into fat32, ext3, linux-swap for my 8gb class 6 sd.

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
yo this is my 100th post bro! (senior member finally) just wanted to say thanks and what's up :D.

anyone got any questions about ubuntu...feel free to ask.

tq745

Aug 22, 2009

Okay thanks, I'll try it again...

bruce_wayne

Aug 29, 2009
Is there any reason why you boot ubuntu without installing? Or can it just be installed and used regardless?

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Is there any reason why you boot ubuntu without installing? Or can it just be installed and used regardless?

yeah ubuntu gives you many options:
1) you can install it and only run ubuntu.
2) you can install ubuntu and partition it with your windows so you have both to go to which you can load either or i believe in the boot menu when you start your computer.
3) the cd is there so you can load up ubuntu without installing whenever you wanna just run the cd using f12 (basically saves you space and an easy method when travelling around helping others with your ubuntu cd ;) )

any further questions- ask the master ---> supremeteam256

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How To Partition SD Card With Ubuntu For Dummies.

This guide will help people with partitioning their sd card using Ubuntu (Linux Live CD). You can make your Fat32, ext2/3, and linux_swap partitions. The software is free and you do not need to install anything. These instructions should be easy to understand but if anyone still has any questions feel free to ask.

What is needed:
    * A computer
    * Ubuntu
    * Blank CD-R
    * Software to burn a .iso image
    * G1 or a card reader

1. Go to www.ubuntu.com and download Ubuntu 9.04.

2. Once downloaded you will have a .iso file so you will need a burning software capable of burning .iso files. I use nero but you can use whatever you like. There is other free software you can download to burn the file like www.freeisoburner.com.

3. Now that ubuntu is burned to a disc we can boot it up. Place the disc into the cd tray and turn off the computer.

4. Turn on the computer. When the computer starts up the very first loading screen where you see Dell/Compaq/HP/etc. (the same screen where you would hit f8 to go into safe mode) hit f12 to go into boot mode. Once your boot menu appears select your cd drive. Some computers will boot the cd right away when hitting f12.

5. When the cd boots up it will ask you to select your language. After that it will ask you if you want to try Ubuntu without installing. Hit enter on that option so you won't install anything. Ubuntu will then load.

screenshotu.png

6. Put your sd card in the reader or connect your G1 to the computer and mount it.

7. At the top of the screen click System > Administrator > Partitioner Editor. And then Gparted will open up.

8. Click the drop down box to select your sd card. (NOTE - make sure to select your card and not your computer hard drive. Easy way to tell is if you have a 8 gig card choose the one that is 8 gigs. Common Sense)

9. Your sd card will now be displayed. If you already had it partitioned you will see the partitions. Or if it is a brand new card it will say unallocated.

screenshot1lpw.png

10. If you already have a partition or partitions on it right click each partition and choose unmount. Do that for every partition until you see the keys gone beside the partitions.

screenshot2b.png

11. Right click every partition and choose delete until all partitions are gone and it says unallocated.

screenshot3d.png

12. Right click unallocated and choose new.

13. A box will appear to create your first partition. Create your Fat32 partition first. Click the drop down box and click Fat32. Choose the size you want to make it (I just subtract 1000 from the number to save for my ext partition). And leave it as primary. Now click apply.

screenshot4hab.png

14. You will now see your Fat32 partition and unallocated.

14. Right click unallocated again and choose new.

15. This time we will set up our ext partition. Click the drop down box and choose ext2 or ext3. You can leave the size alone and make sure it is also on primary. Click apply.

screenshot5jug.png

16. If you are wanting to you can create the linux_swap partition to but it is not necessary.

screenshot8f.png

17. You are now back at the box with Fat32, ext2/3, linux_swap and unallocated. Now click apply. A confirmation box will appear and click apply again.

screenshot9h.png

18. It will format your card and then you are done.

screenshot10o.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12w.png

19. You can now click the power icon in the upper right hand corner to turn off Ubuntu and restart into windows.