ringtones changing to default after reboot

Search This thread

ak29

Oct 16, 2010
Toronto
Just been having this issue lately where my custom ringtone and notifications change to the default after a reboot or after I connect micro usb to add files to the memory card. I cant seem to find a way to fix this. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just been having this issue lately where my custom ringtone and notifications change to the default after a reboot or after I connect micro usb to add files to the memory card. I cant seem to find a way to fix this. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

When you change a ringtone,do you click apply?

:)

Hollilightman

Nov 15, 2011
Berlin
Exactly the same problem i also have no council. until now. with CoreDroid 2.6 i had it not, only with v2.7 and v3.0. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

BigHunkoMan

Jul 13, 2011
I have the exact same problem, I had some custom ringtones and suddenly for no reason started switching back to default. So I finally just did a factory reset now everything's back to normal.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

ak29

Oct 16, 2010
Toronto
I may have found the issue with mine. I recently started using an app called headset droid. Once I uninstalled the app most of my issue is gone now. My ringtones and notifications no longer reset when I reboot. They do still reset if if I connect my phone via micro USB and add transfer things to my memory card. I will try resetting my phone and reflashing my rom next to see if that solves the problem completely.

test1551

Aug 14, 2009
Solution for rooted user but please help for non-rooted

To start off I do not have my phone rooted, although I am thinking about it lol.

My ringtones and notifications changed every time I restart my phone. What I have tried is to change the ringtones and notifications folder location. It basically started right after I received the T-Mobile update software number 1.50.531.1

sdcard(root)/notifications
sdcard(root)/ringtones
and
sdcard(root)/media/audio/notifications
sdcard(root)/media/audio/ringtones

all the above methods work in the sense that the phone recognized the ringtones but every time I restart the phone it changes the ringtone and notification back to defaults.

I have searched for a solution the closest thing I have found was located here: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13413
The conclusion is to gain root access and move the ringtones and notification to the phone's internal system folder. Since I do not want to root my phone, is there a method to gain permission to move files to the system folder?

I really want to solve this problem so please let me know if there is a solution
Thanks from a noob

I fixed my issue by clearing the cache. I downloaded app called "app cache cleaner" than I cleared the rosie cache and boom it works woot

Last edited:

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Anyone got an answer?
Is there an easy way to move ringtones/notification sounds to the phone memory without rooting?

Try adding your phone ringtone / notification sound this way

Settings-sound-phone ringtone-menu soft key-more ringtones-add ringtone
Then select the ringtone.

Also the similar way for notification sound..

This way you might not lose your custom ringtones when rebooted

sent from my blazing fast pyramid through sonic waves

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
Try adding your phone ringtone / notification sound this way

Settings-sound-phone ringtone-menu soft key-more ringtones-add ringtone
Then select the ringtone.

Also the similar way for notification sound..

This way you might not lose your custom ringtones when rebooted

sent from my blazing fast pyramid through sonic waves

That's how I assign them. I don't have the issue of losing them when rebooting, but I do have problems when I've connected my phone as a mass storage device as with the SD card unmounted (so it can be accessed by the PC) the phone can no longer see my ringtone/notification sounds.
Annoyingly downloading ringtones from HTC doesn't save them to the phone memory.

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
That's how I assign them. I don't have the issue of losing them when rebooting, but I do have problems when I've connected my phone as a mass storage device as with the SD card unmounted (so it can be accessed by the PC) the phone can no longer see my ringtone/notification sounds.
Annoyingly downloading ringtones from HTC doesn't save them to the phone memory.

then you move it to memory...

move the required ringtones to /system/media/audio/ringtones
and similarly for notifications...use any file explorer...

deano309

Nov 14, 2006
Bridgwater, Somerset

Hi, I had this issue after I installed Beats.

I found that the problem was linked to /system/app/com.htc.sdm.apk
This is a soundset profile which was defaulting tones.

I deleted this file, rebooted and all was fine!

Hope this helps :)

RoseRodent

Sep 2, 2010
Hi, I had this issue after I installed Beats.

I found that the problem was linked to /system/app/com.htc.sdm.apk
This is a soundset profile which was defaulting tones.

I deleted this file, rebooted and all was fine!

Hope this helps :)

Is that a solution which can be used without rooting?

I have tried to report this to HTC as a bug, but cannot find the details. There are many links on this and similar sites which all go to "Whoops we cannot find that site, please one of the below" [sic] and there is nothing below. When I tried to access support direction the only countries I could choose from were USA or Canada. Can anyone direct me to how to report this as a bug for a UK user? They shouldn't be requiring us to root just so that we don't have all our ringtones defaulted every time we connect the phone to a PC, that's about 20 times a day! Particularly important for me rather than just nigglingly annoying as I'm profoundly deaf in some frequencies, I literally cannot hear some of the ring tones, I need to input ones I can tell the phone is ringing!

deano309

Nov 14, 2006
Bridgwater, Somerset
Is that a solution which can be used without rooting?

No, it isn't!

Tell you what.... Just S-OFF & root your phone and install a custom ROM.

Otherwise, learn to live with the crappy software that HTC release and stop moaning about it. :p

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

It's not a HTC issue, it's a gingerbread/ics issue.
Although HTC could fix it I suppose by releasing an app that allows you to copy ringtones to the phone memory.

I feel that I need to disagree.

If it was an OS issue then every ROM on every phone would suffer from the same problem.

This problem happens for various reasons on various ROMs.

HTC replace a lot of the AOSP programs with thier own and it's less than perfect and can cause this issue - they could release a patch but they are not always speedy on the releases!

I remember someone creating a Sound profile and then deleting it - which solved their problem?!

Last edited:

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
I feel that I need to disagree.

If it was an OS issue then every ROM on every phone would suffer from the same problem.

This problem happens for various reasons on various ROMs.

HTC replace a lot of the AOSP programs with thier own and it's less than perfect and can cause this issue - they could release a patch but they are not always speedy on the releases!

I remember someone creating a Sound profile and then deleting it - which solved their problem?!

The Galaxy Nexus also suffers from resetting ringtones etc when the SD card has been unmounted, there's a bug report a mile long with Google about it.

There should be an easy fix, ie two sound config files, one for when the SD card is present and the other for when it's not, or the set as ringtone/notification function could copy the file to the internal memory.

Why load a flakey unfinished ROM when O2 provide one that fast and trouble free?

I was hoping there'd be a way of accessing the internal memory from a PC via developer tools.

deano309

Nov 14, 2006
Bridgwater, Somerset
The Galaxy Nexus also suffers from resetting ringtones etc when the SD card has been unmounted, there's a bug report a mile long with Google about it.

There should be an easy fix, ie two sound config files, one for when the SD card is present and the other for when it's not, or the set as ringtone/notification function could copy the file to the internal memory.

Why load a flakey unfinished ROM when O2 provide one that fast and trouble free?

I was hoping there'd be a way of accessing the internal memory from a PC via developer tools.

As I stated - "Various ROMs" - BUT NOT ALL - So it can't be the fault of the base AOSP but rather modifications done by Manufacurers or Providers (3 is the worst for customising)!

Not all ROMs are flakey or unfurnished and you have the options to customise them a lot more to your own personal style - Most providers add bloatware which slows the device down which a lot of people don't want (The only settings I need are for my APN)!

You can access internal memory via adb - but modifying it requires you to be rooted.

There is a fallback ringtone found within framework-res.apk which the device will use if it can't find any tones at all but no different configs for SD in/out (Nice idea though!) ;) but copying to the internal memory would still require root!

This is where I benefit from a custom rom - If I don't like one then I choose another, or I patch the problem! (Or, more often then not, I just make my own)

:D

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
As I stated - "Various ROMs" - BUT NOT ALL - So it can't be the fault of the base AOSP but rather modifications done by Manufacurers or Providers (3 is the worst for customising)!

Not all ROMs are flakey or unfurnished and you have the options to customise them a lot more to your own personal style - Most providers add bloatware which slows the device down which a lot of people don't want (The only settings I need are for my APN)!

You can access internal memory via adb - but modifying it requires you to be rooted.

There is a fallback ringtone found within framework-res.apk which the device will use if it can't find any tones at all but no different configs for SD in/out (Nice idea though!) ;) but copying to the internal memory would still require root!

This is where I benefit from a custom rom - If I don't like one then I choose another, or I patch the problem! (Or, more often then not, I just make my own)

:D

Thing is, with O2 they don't add bloat and I'm happy with their ROM, it's fast (ICS seems much faster than GB) and stable, which I guess we're lucky in that :)
I've set up a new sound set and tomorrow I'll be adding vids to watch on the train into London so will see how it goes.
Interesting though how it affects a Nexus device which I always thought was bare bones Android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's not a HTC issue, it's a gingerbread/ics issue.
    Although HTC could fix it I suppose by releasing an app that allows you to copy ringtones to the phone memory.
    Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I was having the same ringtone switching problem, and this came up in the search. I'm rooted and running Viper 1.6.3. I copied the ringtone and notifications I wanted to use over to the phone memory under /system/media/audio/ringtones and notifications, however the copied files don't show up when I go to select ringtones. The sounds I'm using are MP3 files, and worked off the sd card (apart from the switching issue).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

D5

Make sure you set up correct permissions for the copied ringtone (check the permission of any ringtone which is already available and then apply the same to your ringtone) .. And then reboot then only they show up

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium
    Thanks ganeshp, users like yourself is why I buy android phones! Goog should put you on their payroll! LOL