no 4g love in virginia

Search This thread

seeingwhite

Aug 30, 2010
Still no 4g in Lynchburg.... Anyone have any news on it?

Sent from my Thunderstick using Xda App

Yeah, I have heard some updated rumblings in the past few weeks. The newest word from multiple sources is earliest of end of February, latest of sometime in April.

From what I am hearing, my guess would be March, but closer to April. Those of you with Verizon 4G phones in Lynchburg should be checking daily to see if you can catch them testing it.

Verizon hasn't been very transparent with 2012 LTE launches up to this point, so I am hoping for a big announcement or series of announcements soon. Maybe we will hear more as we get closer to MWC.

BonezMontana

Feb 23, 2012
Lynchburg VA
The Snowflex has 4g. I haven't checked out Liberty's campus yet. I went to the Snowflex back in Nov and had a 4g connection. Not sure where the tower is located.

queva1

Apr 19, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Interesting I'm around lu often no 4g for me sounds like I'm gonna have to take a trip up the hill to snowflex

Sent from my Thunderstick using Xda App

seeingwhite

Aug 30, 2010
After more talk with area reps, I don't think they have any solid info on when 4G is coming to the 'burg. I was evening hearing December for a few weeks, and then most recently I have heard August/September. So I would guess that we will likely see 4G sometime in 2012, but unknown on exactly when.

From some research I have been doing, I think part of the problem may be with backhaul. Some of the sites don't have the necessary infrastructure in place yet. I even saw a crew burying fiber along Rt 29 north of Lynchburg the other day, which I was surprised to see. The other problem is that Verizon is trying to increase the height on some of their towers in the area -- which would be great. So we will just have to wait and hope for sooner rather than later.

tl:dr, 4G probably sometime in 2012, but who knows exactly when.

seeingwhite

Aug 30, 2010
Just an update for anyone still interested. The side of the road near one of the main towers on Candlers Mountain Road has been marked for digging and burial of Verizon fiber optic cable (this is needed so the 4G LTE equipment can deliver the faster speeds and bandwidth) and leads right up to the tower. This is great news, and seems to be in agreement with the rumors of a summer/early fall deployment of Verizon LTE.

On the US Cellular front, I checked out one of their towers the other day and saw no evidence of significant infrastructure upgrade yet, despite their summer deployment time-frame. It is still possible that they could do this very quickly though.

reddtessa

Apr 19, 2012
Washington DC
www.reddtessa.com
Dang no 4g for me either...at home or base.

I am here in Woodbridge, just a few blocks North of Dumfries off Rt. 1 and no 4G at my home, but if I go over to the Verizon Store next to CVS I do, go figure. Of course no 4G for me on Quantico either :-(

scook9

Mar 8, 2011
Northern Virginia
If you are in the fredericksburg area you should be killing for ANY verizon love...that area is rough

Relatives down there have to use ATT as Verizon is just not an option - it is sad to hear such a thing haha

scook9

Mar 8, 2011
Northern Virginia
Just a heads up, I got a Galaxy Nexus recently and am loving it. My thunderbolt was doing fine but wanted to upgrade and saw nothing more compelling in the near future.

Despite the Thunderbolt being a LTE Cat. 3 device, the Galaxy Nexus is regularly pulling MUCH higher bandwidth (like 40mbps vs 18 at my desk at work)

seeingwhite

Aug 30, 2010
Just a heads up, I got a Galaxy Nexus recently and am loving it. My thunderbolt was doing fine but wanted to upgrade and saw nothing more compelling in the near future.

Despite the Thunderbolt being a LTE Cat. 3 device, the Galaxy Nexus is regularly pulling MUCH higher bandwidth (like 40mbps vs 18 at my desk at work)

What area of NoVA are you in?

Regarding the two phones, that is a huge difference in speeds! That's almost hard to believe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's official for Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Roanoke.

Richmond and Hampton Roads by Oct. 20

Roanoke by the end of 2011

The official documentation here:
    http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/09/pr2011-09-21.html

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App
    Richmond VA has 4G mainly in Mechanicsville and the VCU area. Spoty in the North Highland Park area and the West End is straight 3G (although the West End got a glimpse of 4G for a day around the end of July)

In Northern VA it stops at around Woodbridge, a little spoty in Dale City however. Not sure how far west but I do believe Leesburg, Ashburn and Sterling all have 4G. If the person above is right who said Richmond would be complete around October, then it shouldn't be long after for Fredericksburg to be upgraded as well as its the mid way point between DC and Richmond on I-95.

I believe he is telling the truth. I have seen a lot of Verizon workers at tower sites around Richmond lately.

EDIT: this was a response to ghstrdr1985's last response. The quote didn't go thru I guess.

Downtown and south of the James has it now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
    VA Beach - 1 mile from Pembroke Mall 4G confirmed