[Q] Android 4.3 status bar error help?

Search This thread

OSbrosef

Apr 3, 2014
If this needs to be moved to the GSIII troubleshoot forum, please do so, as I was unsure of which was a better place to ask this question, Thanks.

Hi,

I'm a new member here, so hello to all!

I have a year old Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon service and I recently updated to the stock 4.3 android OS that verizon pushed to my phone. Since the beginning, my phone has gotten very hot to the touch when charging (especially on the screen, it burns your fingers), but I thought it was just a growing pain of my new phone. A few months later, my phone starts to crash apps and the phone sporadically overheats to where I have to put it down for 20min. For the past few months, my phone's status bar at the top has been copying all of the icons on the right and displaying them on the left side of the status bar upside down and enlarged. It will flash the status bar like this for a few seconds and go back to normal; screen rotation is always disabled when this occurs. This past week, my phone would not charge using the factory charger; it was stuck on 14% for a while, went up to 15% after an hour and then decharged back to 14%, all while the phone overheated.The stock internet browser also crashes a lot.

Verizon had me factory reset the phone with automatic restore disabled. I did twice and the phone still acted up, in fact it became slow and jumpy (scrolling in menus) after the resets. They sent me a refurb and it does the same thing as mine with one caveat -- instead of the status bar mirroring and flipping icons, the camera's tips instead pop up sideways even when the phone's rotation is disabled.

Nobody seems to understand why my original phone is having the status bar issues that it does.

Notes:

-4g lte connectivity is fine
-Wi-Fi connectivity is fine, though my modem may need replacing
-Calling and texting is fine; media messaging is fine.
-The phone has never been dropped nor wet by any liquid.

At this point, I am stuck with this phone that does not work, my warranty is about to end, I have no money to afford another phone, and Verizon is not helping me (neither is Samsung).

I am looking for someone to help me try to fix my phone. I am computer savvy so do not be afraid to post complicated steps as I will understand no problem.

I have a screenshot of the status bar acting up if it is requested.

Thank You for any help!

**Additional information**

Since I first got the phone, it would at times charge slow or really fast and that is what it is back to doing. I have tried two different factory chargers and my phone actually charges better with my old BlackBerry Bold charger. Also, when the phone heats up, the battery is always cool...only the phone gets hot. The battery is not warped, has no bumps, and is as it was when it was new. The phone does everything the same no matter the outlet used. The only time my phone doesn't act up when charging is when I charge it using the Verizon car charger via my car's 12V outlet...but it still chargers slowly. Also, my phone would at times drop the battery % by about 10-20% either during use or after rebooting it.

Last edited: