Samsung and Corning Inc.: Repair or Replace Samsung Galaxy S3's Defective Glass

Search This thread

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
i think this is just the cost of having a thin phone unfortunately. The glass is extremely thin.

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
i think this is just the cost of having a thin phone unfortunately. The glass is extremely thin.

Actually I think it is a design flaw and I will tell you why. Most of the breaks on this phone happen from the edge. Samsung decided to use cheap plastic on the edges. When the phone impacts, from the edge the plastic gives way to much. It then forces the glass inward from the edge, the glass having no where to go, plus the fact it is so thin, cannot handle the force and just shatters. I dropped my phone from literally 1 foot off he ground and the screen shattered. Guess what, it was a side corner impact.

Had Samsung used an Aluminum body or a stronger Composite the phone would probably hold up much better to these side/corner impacts, But again they used cheap garbage plastic... So sad for a great phone hardware wise...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenks0503

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Good thing for us consumers we have multiple devices to choose from when ever we become unhappy with something.
Bottom line is no device is perfect. LG, ZTE and HTC make devices for Sprint as well. If the GS3 hardware is not up to your specifications feel free to try one of those.
No body held a gun to your head and said buy this phone. No one said, hey keep the phone naked or made you drop it..
What ever you do dont run your car into a brick wall at 5 miles an hour. Do you know how much bumpers on a vehicle cost now a days :)
ok smart ass mode off..

Reactions: tkepk181

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Good thing for us consumers we have multiple devices to choose from when ever we become unhappy with something.
Bottom line is no device is perfect. LG, ZTE and HTC make devices for Sprint as well. If the GS3 hardware is not up to your specifications feel free to try one of those.
No body held a gun to your head and said buy this phone. No one said, hey keep the phone naked or made you drop it..
What ever you do dont run your car into a brick wall at 5 miles an hour. Do you know how much bumpers on a vehicle cost now a days :)
ok smart ass mode off..

Why?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Go buy a iphone. Or put a case worth buying that will take a impact.

Sent from Pluto.
qe9usehe.jpg

gtuansdiamm

Nov 15, 2010
New York
I honestly think this is stupid
(Typing from a s3 cracked from the corner)
We buy smart phones knowing the risks and this falls under accidental
While it is true that both my s1&2 lasted through lots more falls the crack in my phone wasn't as bad as other phones I saw
Where the 3ft drop caused a spider web crack from the middle of the screen woke i got a tiny-ish crack from the corner

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
i think samsung knew the phone might not be as durable, but they thought thinness was more important.

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
you could try, you know, not dropping your phone. if you're prone to being clumsy, then how about you take responsibility by buying a case and protecting your investment instead of blaming the damn manufacturer for your own damn mistake? even if you're not a clumsy person and you use the addage "sh*t happens sometimes"... you're damn right sh*t happens, so how about you insure your sh*t with a case like a responsible adult?

cmon look at what's on that stupid petition's page: "They need to investigate without their prejudicial bias, and possibly recall the phones that have the defective glass." think about that for just a minute. how exactly do you idiots propose that samsung "recall phones that have the defective glass?" first off, how does one know they have defective glass without dropping their phone to find out? your answer may be "well hurrrrr if the glass breaks then it's defective..." well no sh*t sherlock, you dropped it that doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you dropped a piece of glass. is that samsung's fault that you have parkinsons? secondly, even if they did honor the requests of a few mongoloids, how does samsung know these mongoloids legitimately dropped their phones from only a few feet off the ground? how does samsung know that these phones weren't thrown in the air, or dropped from a ladder, or thrown down some stairs by your spoiled, rambunctious kids?

get real. this petition is stupid and only enables the irresponsibility and cowardness of people. take responsibility for your own mistakes instead of blaming the manufacturer for you breaking your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: mastalee420

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
You have your coffee today? Man oh man take a friggin chill pill stop bashing people because you do not agree, you sound like your 10 years old. :banghead:

On another note, I am NOT the creator of this petition I am nearly passing information on after I found it during a Google search.

Reactions: draco916

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
LOL 10 year olds dont use words like mongoloid and parkinsons..
But i agree with him in principle. Be responsible for your own actions. The device worked perfectly prior to the customer dropping the phone. Those actions led to the device being damaged.

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
Look no one is saying that a drop cannot break a phone. It would be silly to think otherwise. This petition is not just for people who have dropped their phones, rather it is for people who's glass is mysteriously cracking and trust me it has been happening for some. Also it is not the glass that is defective, rather it is the BEZEL design. The fact that it is made of such a cheap plastic provides absolutely no protection for a corner impact. Had Samsung made the midframe out of a stronger composite or aluminum the phones may hold up better. That is the just the reality. Anyone posting about you should not drop your phone or get a case or bla bla is missing the point. We pay top dollar for a device. When it is designed for a MOBILE application the enginneers or corporation who employed them need to give them the direction to make a product that keep the comsumer in mind and that it holds up a bit better to that environment. I love my S3 but the fact that it is so fragile just sucks.I dropped my Moto X2 many a time and never ever once did it break the glass. I have repaired now over a dozen S3 glass and every one of them was cause by intrussion of the plastic bezel/midframe into the glass from the side corner. The glass just cannot hold up to this type of impact.

Mutiny32

Nov 27, 2007
Kansas City
mutiny32.com
I can agree on the argument that Samsung should have used a stronger material for the bezel. If I get my new PSU in today for my computer that I use to process photos from my 60D, I'll take a few shots of the bezel where I dropped the device from about 1.5ft getting into my car. It didn't shatter the screen, but it dented and it's malleable enough to actually push up a small outward dent on the edge that interfaces with the back cover. And I am not talking about a dent on the face of the plastic; it was actually soft (hence my use of malleable) enough to re-shape the "body" of the plastic. I liken it to the softness of gold or a soft lead.

As for corner impacts that shattered the screen, I don't think that manufacturer should be held responsible for that. It's an ion-exchange potassium silicate. Tempered glass. **** happens if you do that and your device insurance should cover that if you bought it.

I think perhaps a carbon composite should have been used. It really is cheap plastic.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

mrterrytoyou

Jul 15, 2012
You know I've had my wife's phone replaced like 4 times since june cause she can't keep her phone in her hands! Do you see me complaining? no! Its an amazing phone and it looks great! why put a case on it!? I don't give a **** about dropping my phone! you know why!? Cause I have best buys black tie protection! I can do absolutely anything to my phone and they don't give a ****! They take it in whatever condition I give it to them and give me a new one a couple days later. They don't even care that its rooted. So complain all you want if you have to pay for a broken phone its your fault for not having looked around for the best place to buy from or the best protection plan! So quit complaining!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
You know I've had my wife's phone replaced like 4 times since june cause she can't keep her phone in her hands! Do you see me complaining? no! Its an amazing phone and it looks great! why put a case on it!? I don't give a **** about dropping my phone! you know why!? Cause I have best buys black tie protection! I can do absolutely anything to my phone and they don't give a ****! They take it in whatever condition I give it to them and give me a new one a couple days later. They don't even care that its rooted. So complain all you want if you have to pay for a broken phone its your fault for not having looked around for the best place to buy from or the best protection plan! So quit complaining!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Your married? :eek::D

mrterrytoyou

Jul 15, 2012
Yes I'm married. Why?

Sent from my Sick Ass Galaxy Note 2

They had a broken keyboard,
I bought a broken keyboard;
Bought a skeetblanket,
And then I bought a knee board
*Macklemore - thrift shop

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Trying to get the word out here for all who have been affected by their defective glass breaking.

I want to mention that I am NOT the creator of this petition I am nearly passing information on after I found it during a Google search.

http://www.change.org/petitions/spr...laxy-s3-s-that-have-defective-gorilla-glass-2

Actually I think it is a design flaw and I will tell you why. Most of the breaks on this phone happen from the edge. Samsung decided to use cheap plastic on the edges. When the phone impacts, from the edge the plastic gives way to much. It then forces the glass inward from the edge, the glass having no where to go, plus the fact it is so thin, cannot handle the force and just shatters. I dropped my phone from literally 1 foot off he ground and the screen shattered. Guess what, it was a side corner impact.

Had Samsung used an Aluminum body or a stronger Composite the phone would probably hold up much better to these side/corner impacts, But again they used cheap garbage plastic... So sad for a great phone hardware wise...
    ok smart ass mode off..
    you could try, you know, not dropping your phone. if you're prone to being clumsy, then how about you take responsibility by buying a case and protecting your investment instead of blaming the damn manufacturer for your own damn mistake? even if you're not a clumsy person and you use the addage "sh*t happens sometimes"... you're damn right sh*t happens, so how about you insure your sh*t with a case like a responsible adult?

cmon look at what's on that stupid petition's page: "They need to investigate without their prejudicial bias, and possibly recall the phones that have the defective glass." think about that for just a minute. how exactly do you idiots propose that samsung "recall phones that have the defective glass?" first off, how does one know they have defective glass without dropping their phone to find out? your answer may be "well hurrrrr if the glass breaks then it's defective..." well no sh*t sherlock, you dropped it that doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you dropped a piece of glass. is that samsung's fault that you have parkinsons? secondly, even if they did honor the requests of a few mongoloids, how does samsung know these mongoloids legitimately dropped their phones from only a few feet off the ground? how does samsung know that these phones weren't thrown in the air, or dropped from a ladder, or thrown down some stairs by your spoiled, rambunctious kids?

get real. this petition is stupid and only enables the irresponsibility and cowardness of people. take responsibility for your own mistakes instead of blaming the manufacturer for you breaking your phone.
    You have your coffee today? Man oh man take a friggin chill pill stop bashing people because you do not agree, you sound like your 10 years old. :banghead:

On another note, I am NOT the creator of this petition I am nearly passing information on after I found it during a Google search.