Beginners Guide to root and flashing a custom ROM on the TF700T

Search This thread

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
First time flasher on the Infinity

Hello, Awesome write up. I just received a replacement Infinity from Squaretrade. My old Infinity was always just rooted, but I hated and never used it. The new one is on build 10.6.1.14.4-20130329. It is signaling me to do a system update.

I have given up on Asus ever updating this tablet and I want to unlock it and install a cromi rom. I'm still on the fence to do cromi-x or cromi-kk. I want to be as lag free as possible so I can play games like GT Racing 2 and Dead Trigger 2. I can play these games on my note 3 perfectly.

Can someone help me make up my mind on x vs kk and give me a quick order of things I need to do to get there? For example, should I take the system update first and at what point do I need to root? I have the keyboard dock and do not want to loss any of it's functionality either

Thanks for any support.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, Awesome write up. I just received a replacement Infinity from Squaretrade. My old Infinity was always just rooted, but I hated and never used it. The new one is on build 10.6.1.14.4-20130329. It is signaling me to do a system update.

I have given up on Asus ever updating this tablet and I want to unlock it and install a cromi rom. I'm still on the fence to do cromi-x or cromi-kk. I want to be as lag free as possible so I can play games like GT Racing 2 and Dead Trigger 2. I can play these games on my note 3 perfectly.

Can someone help me make up my mind on x vs kk and give me a quick order of things I need to do to get there? For example, should I take the system update first and at what point do I need to root? I have the keyboard dock and do not want to loss any of it's functionality either

Thanks for any support.

Take the system update first. You are on an outdated bootloader and need to upgrade it anyway.
No need to root, just unlock, flash the custom recovery and then the custom rom.
Start with CROMi-X since it gurantees full dock functionality. If your games don't run well enough on it you can always flash CROMBi-KK, but I bet CROMi-X, flashed with fsync off (one of the choices during installation) will do the trick.

kski

Feb 25, 2010
Wichita, KS
Take the system update first. You are on an outdated bootloader and need to upgrade it anyway.
No need to root, just unlock, flash the custom recovery and then the custom rom.
Start with CROMi-X since it gurantees full dock functionality. If your games don't run well enough on it you can always flash CROMBi-KK, but I bet CROMi-X, flashed with fsync off (one of the choices during installation) will do the trick.

Agreed, their both great but it sounds like you're not a flashoholic like a lot of us and are looking for a ROM to keep for awhile. So I would go with the more stable of the two CROMi-X

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: krispy521

daldude786

Jun 1, 2014
If you hated the TF700t why did you buy another one? Why not just flash the old one to CROMi-X?
:confused:

Thanks for any support.

winfan

Apr 15, 2010
How would I get root after I'm on cromix? If I don't do it from stock? Would I root before unlocking?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

daldude786

Jun 1, 2014
How would I get root after I'm on cromix? If I don't do it from stock? Would I root before unlocking?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

I think after I installed CROMiX and went to reboot the tablet by tapping reboot it informed me that I was not rooted and gave be the option to root my tablet or not root my tablet.

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I think after I installed CROMiX and went to reboot the tablet by tapping reboot it infringed me that I was not rooted and gave be the option to root my tablet or not root my tablet.

You probably got that message after you had flashed TWRP and before you installed CROMi-X (when you booted back to your stock rom).
CROMi-X is rooted out of the box. Get RootChecker from the Play Store or run Titanium Backup or something similar to confirm it.

daldude786

Jun 1, 2014
Tablet keeps locking up when in sleep / stand by mode

I have CROMi-x installed on my Asus Transformer TF700t and it has locked up 4 or 5 times within the last day while in stand by or sleep mode. Well actually it does not really Lock Up but the screen won't come back on because once the alarm went off and I heard it going off but it did not turn on the display and when I hit the power button the alarm stopped but the display did not come back on and one other time I heard it make the sound that I had a new email but I still could not get the screen to come back on
It has just started doing it recently and I have not installed any new programs except 1 that was installed several days before the problem came up but some programs have been updated less then 24 hours before the problem started happening. One possible culprit program might be 1Weather:Widget Forecast Radar but it was installed for weeks without the lock up problem popping up I also thought it was a program from my local TV Station's Weather app that was causing it because a few times the tablet would lock up when I tried to launch the app and then reboot abruptly causing the battery run time to reset to 0 so it must have been more then just a minor abrupt reboot. At first the lock up problem only happened if the tablet was in stand by mode over night and once while it was charging in stand by mode over night.
It's annoying when it locks up and I have to hold the power button down untill it reboots and then wait the extended period of time to wait for it to recover, I assume when you have to do a forced reboot from it being locked up it does a similar thing like CHKDSK on a PC where it makes sure all the system files are ok and fixes any that got corrupted?

I tried posting this question in Q&A and got no response.

Kernel CROMi-xersion 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.10-that8-oc+
that@ws#29
Sat feb 15 22:28:26 CET 2014

Build number
TF700 CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.4-10.6.1.27.5 US DEODEX

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have CROMi-x installed on my Asus Transformer TF700t and it has locked up 4 or 5 times within the last day while in stand by or sleep mode. Well actually it does not really Lock Up but the screen won't come back on because once the alarm went off and I heard it going off but it did not turn on the display and when I hit the power button the alarm stopped but the display did not come back on and one other time I heard it make the sound that I had a new email but I still could not get the screen to come back on
It has just started doing it recently and I have not installed any new programs except 1 that was installed several days before the problem came up but some programs have been updated less then 24 hours before the problem started happening. One possible culprit program might be 1Weather:Widget Forecast Radar but it was installed for weeks without the lock up problem popping up I also thought it was a program from my local TV Station's Weather app that was causing it because a few times the tablet would lock up when I tried to launch the app and then reboot abruptly causing the battery run time to reset to 0 so it must have been more then just a minor abrupt reboot. At first the lock up problem only happened if the tablet was in stand by mode over night and once while it was charging in stand by mode over night.
It's annoying when it locks up and I have to hold the power button down untill it reboots and then wait the extended period of time to wait for it to recover, I assume when you have to do a forced reboot from it being locked up it does a similar thing like CHKDSK on a PC where it makes sure all the system files are ok and fixes any that got corrupted?

I tried posting this question in Q&A and got no response.

Kernel CROMi-xersion 3.1.10-10.6.1.14.10-that8-oc+
that@ws#29
Sat feb 15 22:28:26 CET 2014

Build number
TF700 CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.4-10.6.1.27.5 US DEODEX

Are you saying it has only just started happening and it has been running fine before? If so then it must be something you installed.

Can you capture a logcat whist the screen is black please (you'll need to do it over adb on a pc) - look up on xda on how to capture a logcat over adb please.

jdgesmlls

May 7, 2014
Boston
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 11
About to pull the trigger and flash a customer ROM... but...

Forgive me for such a what I would consider "noob" post but should I be concerned with security when using a custom ROM?

I have read through this entire forum, my TF700T is rooted, bootloader is still locked and I have installed some apps that are suppose to make it run better but I know I am not coming close to the potential of this tablet.

I use my tablet for work related items (email, Skype etc.) and personal banking and I am just on the fence about running a custom ROM because of security concerns... Someone please push me over the edge and say it is all in my head... :p

In all seriousness, does anyone have any results that the custom ROM's are just as secure as the stock ROM?

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Forgive me for such a what I would consider "noob" post but should I be concerned with security when using a custom ROM?

If you have sensitive data on your device, you should *always* be concerned about security, with any ROM. For example, your stock ROM is vulnerable to various exploits that can give any malicious app root access.

In all seriousness, does anyone have any results that the custom ROM's are just as secure as the stock ROM?

In all seriousness, security was not a priority when I built my kernel. For example, it gives root access via adb because it's convenient for me. So don't use any ROM with my kernel for security sensitive things.

I assume you have encrypted your data partition. If not, anyone with physical access to your tablet can boot to recovery and steal your data from there.

dead.burdock

Feb 3, 2014
Struggling with Fastboot

Hi Guys,

New to the transformer (I know Im late to the party but it seems like a nice machine and will do fine for my wife) but not new to hacking things. Ive rooted phones, xboxes...lots of other stuff..so Im familiar with whats going on but Im stumped.

Ive followed the guide and unlocked the transformer. Ive installed the naked google drivers and when I boot the tablet to fastboot mode, the device manager in windows 7 recognizes it as "SUMSUNG Android Phone" however, I cannot browse to the device in windows explorer so I cannot proceed to the next step.

I know that this seems to be a hangup point for a lot of folks, but I am at a loss here. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Cole

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Guys,

New to the transformer (I know Im late to the party but it seems like a nice machine and will do fine for my wife) but not new to hacking things. Ive rooted phones, xboxes...lots of other stuff..so Im familiar with whats going on but Im stumped.

Ive followed the guide and unlocked the transformer. Ive installed the naked google drivers and when I boot the tablet to fastboot mode, the device manager in windows 7 recognizes it as "SUMSUNG Android Phone" however, I cannot browse to the device in windows explorer so I cannot proceed to the next step.

I know that this seems to be a hangup point for a lot of folks, but I am at a loss here. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Cole
That can happen if you have other Android drivers installed. Uninstall the Samsung driver, reboot, reconnect the tablet and it should install the Asus drivers. If need be, you may have to install Asus sync to get the correct device drivers. You can uninstall the program right away - the drivers will stick. Then check if you have the correct drivers for adb and fastboot.

Edit: also use a different usb port than you did for the Samsung

Last edited:
Reactions: zeddock

KLSlim

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks for the awesome guide!

I just bought a refurb TF700 about 5-6 months ago and am stuck at the flashing twrp.blob in fastboot. I get a connection to the tablet in fastboot but when I ran the
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 falsh recovery twrp.blop
the cursor went to the next line and has been sitting there for maybe 30 mins now. There has been no change at all on the tablets display it has been sitting at the fastboot screen with the flashing RCK the whole time.

EDIT: NVM even tho it was connected it wasn't? I adjusted the cable, got sent back to the command prompt, re-detected the connection, reran the command, and it worked.

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the awesome guide!

I just bought a refurb TF700 about 5-6 months ago and am stuck at the flashing twrp.blob in fastboot. I get a connection to the tablet in fastboot but when I ran the
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 falsh recovery twrp.blop
the cursor went to the next line and has been sitting there for maybe 30 mins now. There has been no change at all on the tablets display it has been sitting at the fastboot screen with the flashing RCK the whole time.

EDIT: NVM even tho it was connected it wasn't? I adjusted the cable, got sent back to the command prompt, re-detected the connection, reran the command, and it worked.

Did you have the same typo in the command? ;))
It's "flash" not "falsh"
:silly:

dcrowley3

Jul 29, 2014
What if I do not have bootloader v10.6.1.14.8

I am attempting to flash a custom rom. I have carefully read the instructions.

I believe I do not have the bootloader version as quoted in the instructions. Do I need to update that first ?? or is that done automatically when I install TWRP? When I fastboot the tiny print says:

Android cardhu-user bootloader <1.00 e> released by “US_epad-10.6.1.8-20130225” A03
Key driver not found.. Booting OS

Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

So, i assume that I have bootloader version 10.6.1.8, correct ?? Do I need v10.6.1.14.8 ??

Thanks for your help with a first timer.

jdgesmlls

May 7, 2014
Boston
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 11
I am attempting to flash a custom rom. I have carefully read the instructions.

I believe I do not have the bootloader version as quoted in the instructions. Do I need to update that first ?? or is that done automatically when I install TWRP? When I fastboot the tiny print says:

Android cardhu-user bootloader <1.00 e> released by “US_epad-10.6.1.8-20130225” A03
Key driver not found.. Booting OS

Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

So, i assume that I have bootloader version 10.6.1.8, correct ?? Do I need v10.6.1.14.8 ??

Thanks for your help with a first timer.

Which ROM are you trying to flash? Start by flashing Asus stock version V10.6.1.14.10. You can download the zip:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS+Transformer+Pad+Infinity+TF700T&p=28&s=1

Remember to make a Nandroid backup of your current configuration since you have TWRP installed (if you haven't already)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last edit: Jan 2, 2018
    The information here can be found in many places on the web and several forums. But when I started flashing custom ROMs about two years ago, I got frustrated many times because I found that information to be scattered, fragmented and in many cases outdated.

I hope this guide will make it a little easier for those users who wish to unleash the potential of this tablet but have no idea where to start. This is meant to be for inexperienced users who may be flashing for the first time.
    If you find information I provide here to be incorrect or outdated, please do chime in!

And the standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if you misunderstand instructions I give here, if my instructions are wrong, if you forget to charge the battery and the tablet dies halfway through a flash or if your house goes up in flames.
    YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

First things first:
    Backup everything on your tablet you care about to an external microSD or your PC. Don't worry about your apps. You can always install them from the Play Store.
    This is just common sense. It is not inherently risky to flash custom ROMs. But something can wrong at any time and you have to be careful. If you are, this is a safe procedure.

Basically the process of flashing a custom ROM on the TF700 involves three steps:
    1) Unlock the bootloader using Asus' Unlock tool
    2) Install a custom recovery on the tablet
    3) Flash a custom ROM of your choice using said custom recovery​
    Rooting is optional
    To install a custom ROM it is not necessary to root the tablet. You do have to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery no matter what, but in my opinion rooting is an unnecessary step since any custom ROM you flash will be rooted anyway.

But if you want to root the TF700 on stock firmware there are three ways to go about it:
    Up to firmware version 10.6.1.14.8 you could use a tool called Motochopper to root the TF700. Asus plugged the hole Motochopper exploited in the last firmware update.
    For firmware version 10.6.1.14.10 there is Kingo Android Root (only works on Windows AFAIK).
    And then there is Towelroot, a one-click-root exploit. It's an apk, so no PC necessary. Only Towelroot v1 works for the TF700 and it's hard to find. My dog ate the copy I had.. :(

Unlocking the bootloader
    Your tablet should be fully charged at this point!
    • Make sure "USB debugging" is checked in Settings > Developer Options (if you don't see it, go to About Tablet and tap 7 times on Build Number)
    • Download the Asus Unlock Tool v7 from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634776735
    • On your tablet, in Settings > Security check "Unknown Sources"
    • Copy the .apk to your tablet.
    • Find the apk in your tablet's file browser, tap it and let it install
    • Open the app and follow the instructions. You will loose your warranty as soon as you click "I agree".
    Update 2/15: Google added another wrinkle: It now checks even sideloaded apps and refuses to install them if they are considered not secure. The Unlock tool seems to fail their test. v8 does not install at all anymore. v7 will install if you allow "less secure apps" in your Google account settings. On the web - not your Google account on the tablet
    July 2015: And another wrinkel... It seems to be pretty consistent now that the Unlock Tool hangs on the Google account password step. I suspect something changed on the Google side. It probably doesn't allow the tool to check/compare the password anymore. There have been quite a few security changes lately and the unlock tool never gets updated so I suspect that Google now is blocking access by the tool to it's servers.
    The work-around is easy enough: Delete the Google account from the tablet (Settings > Accounts), then run the tool again. If that doesn't do it, do a factory reset from Settings, reboot and during the initial setup establish a WiFi connection but skip the google account setup, then run the tool

If you get an unspecified "network error" you could be in for some major headaches. Many tablet's serial number and/or the mac address of the mainboard seem to be registered incorrectly in Asus database. This problem is widely discussed on several forums, just google: "cannot unlock TF700" or similar and read the threads. Too many variables to discuss this here...

To check if you are unlocked, boot the tablet and read the tiny script. It should say:
    The device is unlocked.

Installing a custom recovery on your tablet

To determine if you need to update your bootloader read post #3

I highly recommend you choose TWRP as your custom recovery. If you want CWM, you are on your own.
    To push TWRP to your tablet you need to set up "Fastboot" between your tablet and your PC. Fastboot is a protocol that enables you low level access to your tablet.

Practice/Background
    Power down your tablet and disconnect it from the dock
    Push and hold the Volume Down key (left side of the rocker) and the Power key until you feel the tablet vibrate twice. Let go when you see the tiny script. Read it and it tells you that your tablet is now in fastboot mode and you will see three icons (I assume again you are on a JB 4.2 bootloader. In older bootloaders you had 4 icons and had to select the USB icon to get into fastboot mode):

RCK - (which should be flashing) is your recovery (the stock recovery at this point, but once TWRP is installed this is one way to get into it)
    Android - is your system, selecting it boots you back to into your ROM.
    Wipe Data - stay away! Especially with custom software installed never, ever use this option!
    To toggle between the three icons use Volume Down, to select one use Volume Up. Try it but do not push Volume Up when the 'Wipe data' icon is flashing!​

Installing ADB and fastboot plus the necessary drivers

For a working ADB/fastboot connection from PC to tablet you need:
    a) Asus device drivers – if you connect the tablet to your PC and it's recognized as a portable device you should be ok. If not, download the Asus Sync Utility from their support/downloads site and install it to get the drivers, then uninstall the program from your PC if you don't want it. The drivers will stay.
    b) Fastboot and ADB drivers which will be installed if you run the tool below.

Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10:
    Download and run this cool little tool [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer v1.1 - xda-developers (don't forget to hit the Thanks button)
    The tool installs the adb and fastboot.exe to a folder on your C:\ drive (look for adb) and the corresponding drivers. Takes about 15 seconds.
    On Windows 8.+ you need to turn off the driver verification feature. Here's a great video on how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afrvSGiMAtk

Win XP (and all other Win versions if the above does not work for some reason)
    I recommend the "ADB Install Tool" mentioned above or the 'Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool': [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers
    Either works fine.
    If you need the drivers, get them here and install manually in Device Manager:[ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72 (We dont need no stinking HTC Sync) - xda-developers
    Win7 and Win8 users seem to have the best luck wth the drivers sbdags provided here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646279
    It's fine if you want to use his Recovery Install Tool from that thread. But I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with basic fastboot commands! There are lots of tuturials all over the web.

Linux:Check out this site https://code.google.com/p/adb-fastboot-install/
    iOS:[GUIDE] Set up ADB and Fastboot on a Mac easily (With Screenshots!) - xda-developers or:
    http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-...-mac-os-x-send-commands-your-htc-one-0151178/

TROUBLE WITH ADB FASTBOOT DRIVERS? SALVATION IS NEAR!! (May 2017 edit)

And it is called FWUL (F-orget(?) Windows Use Linux) a great Arch Linux distro that you can boot off a USB stick or CD with simple adb fastboot all setup for you. Follow the instructions, set your boot sequence to boot from USB or SD drive first and disable Secure Boot in your BIOS Security settings. I have fought with Windows driver problems as long as I have been using Android devices and some stuff I never got to work. With this baby I was able to connect to 4 different Android devices with no problems at all. A beauty! https://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/live-iso-adb-fastboot-driver-issues-t3526755

The fun begins
    Fastboot does not play well with USB 3.0, so use a USB 2.0 port for this. And no hubs and such....
    • Boot the tablet into fastboot mode and connect it to your computer via the original USB cable
    • In Windows Explorer navigate to the folder that contains your adb.exe and fastboot.exe
    • Win 7/8/10: Inside that folder Shift + right click and select "Open command window here".
    • For Win XP click here
      select 'Run' from the Start menu, type
      Code:
      cmd
      and hit Enter. In the resulting command prompt type
      Code:
      cd C:\adb\    [I](or whatever the path to your fastboot folder is..)[/I]
      If all of the above fails follow these instructions: https://www.michaelcrump.net/power-tip-for-windows-users-open-command-prompt-here/
    • In the command window on your PC type:
      Code:
      fastboot devices
    • If that command returns a string of numbers and letters, you are good as gold.
    View attachment 3070087

• If it returns: "No devices found", fastboot is not working - yet - and you have to troubleshoot.
    Getting the correct drivers working can be the hardest part of this exercise. If your computer does not "see" the tablet in fastboot, try to uninstall the existing driver (if any) in Device Manager and manually install the Google Universal Naked Drivers. And if Windows does not cooperate at all, PM me and I can hook you up with a Puppy Linux live CD with fastboot/adb set up already. ;)

Let's assume everything is good:

• On your computer go here: https://twrp.me/devices/asustransformerinfinityTF700T.html
    • Download the latest version of TWRP. Version 2.8.0 or later is ready for KitKat and Lollipop custom roms as well as backward compatible with JB ROMs.

FYI ONLY: If you for whatever reason want to format your data partition:
      Formatting /data starting with TWRP 2.7.x and later takes a lot longer than in previous versions (up to 90 minutes). LET IT FINISH. DO NOT INTERRUPT THE FORMATTING.
      Formatting data is only necessary in cases of data corruption.

• Place the TWRP file into the same directory as your fastboot.exe.
    • Again check the connection with
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    If you get the connection, in the command window type:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery <name-of-file>
    This will flash the recovery to the recovery partition
    Example:
    If the file is named TWRP_2.8.6.2_TF700_recovery.img, the fastboot command is:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery TWRP_2.8.6.2_TF700_recovery.img
    You can rename the file to something easier to type, but file name and fastboot command have to match.
    So if you renamed the file to twrp.img:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.img
    If your recovery comes as a blob:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
    If it is successful type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    and let the tablet boot up normally.
    Booting back into the (not rooted) stock rom you may get a dialog from TWRP asking you if you want to root.
    You can accept or cancel it - doesn't matter. I assume you are going to install a custom rom and they are rooted anyway.

Create a nandroid
    Your almost there! You are now on the stock ROM with a custom recovery installed.
    Power the tablet down and boot into the bootloader menu with Volume Down and Power buttons.
    With RCK flashing, push Volume Up and you should boot into TWRP. Familiarize yourself with the many options of the touch based interface without executing anything yet. TWRP is very user friendly. You basically cannot do anything of consequence "by accident", so don't be shy.

Touch "Backup", leave the default selection as they are and swipe the button to create a nandroid (a backup) of your current system.
    This is a very healthy habit to develop: You always want to have a nandroid of your last working system squared away so that you can do a simple restore if you flash something that does not work, or something goes wrong during a flash. With a working recovery and a good nandroid you are minutes away from a working system if you soft brick your tablet.
    Hint:
    It's a good idea to have at least one good nandroid on external media. Sooner or later you will format your data partition and if you're like me, you may forget to backup your nandroids in the heat of the moment.. ;)

Installing a custom ROM
    From here on out it's as easy as downloading the installation file of your custom ROM, booting into TWRP, choosing "Install" and navigating to the zip of the ROM you want to flash.
    If you see a "signed" in the zip file name (best_rom_ever_signed.zip), make sure you check "verify zip signature" under the "Install" menu. Some devs sign their ROM zips - a better way to ensure file integrity than md5 sum.
    Whatever you decide to flash: READ THE OP of the corresponding thread and make sure you have the correct bootloader and the required recovery installed! I can't stress this enough! If you are not sure, DO NOT FLASH!
    Look for the ROMs in the Development section of the XDA forum for this tablet: Transformer TF700 Android Development - xda-developers or check out post #2. There's a description of the most popular roms for this tablet.

It is mandatory to do a Factory Wipe in TWRP before installing a custom ROM or going from one ROM base to another (a so called clean install).
    If you choose 'Wipe' in TWRP, all you have to do is swipe the button - 'Factory Wipe' is the default selection under the 'Wipe' menu. You will loose your apps, but it will not wipe your /data/media/ folder where your files, pictures, etc live.
    If you do this right before flashing the custom ROM, make sure you have the zip file of your custom ROM on your microSD - not on your internal SD where it may get wiped....

Once you installed a custom recovery NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - AND I REPEAT: NEVER! - use the 'Wipe Data' option from the bootloader menu or the "Factory Reset" option in Settings > Backup&Restore.
    In your custom recovery you have the option to wipe, backup and restore every partition on your tablet selectively or collectively. Any wiping, any backup and any restore of the system, data, recovery or boot partitions MUST be done in your recovery (or in fastboot)!
    You can safely use Titanium Backup or Asus Backup for apps and settings, but that's it. For everything else use your recovery

Hit the 'Thanks' button and rate the thread 5 stars if this helped you ;)
    ROMs for the TF700
    Update June 2017:
    Time moves on and this tablet is till alive....
    Most of the roms below are ancient by now. One dev, the legendary timduru, is still working for this tablet and currently supporting Nougatella, Android 7.1.2 for this tablet.
    Skip to here if you are thinking about a current rom: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72540013&postcount=346

KatKiss-KatshMallow by timduru (MM on the TF700 - who would have thought?) is still under intermittent but active development and it is a beauty. Multi-window support anyone?
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-t3282166

CROMi-X is based on the latest Asus firmware (JB 4.2.1) for this tablet with many, many tweaks and improvements, but since there have been no further Asus updates, development on this rom has stopped. This rom would give you the most Asus-like experience on this tablet.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2425383
    And here is the recent incarnation of this rom: CROMi-X Resurrected: http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/cromi-x-5-4-resurrected-tweaks-t3273515
    @LetMeKnow still releases a new teak here and there, so keep following the thread.

Development on all of the following roms has stopped. The devs have moved on to other devices

CROMBi-KK is based on CM11 and tweaked for this tablet but a little buggy. The later LP based roms from the same team are definitely better.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2672751

CyanogenMod is build from the ground up, CM10.x emulating JB 4.3, CM11 emulating KitKat (JB 4.4). CM was not build with a transformer (keyboard) in mind, but the dev has ironed out most of those bugs.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957660

ZOMBi-X: From the same team that developed CROMi-X and CROMBi-KK. Based on OMNI rom with multi-window support.
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-t2857931

ZOMBi-POP The (almost last) project from the CROMI/CROMBi/ZOMBi team. It's Omni based Lollipop for the TF700
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-t3006593
    A note: This rom will run with data formatted to ext4, which is the OEM default. But it benefits from /data on F2FS, the new file system developed by Samsung, more than any other rom before it. Changing the file system for /data to F2FS has become very easy since the TWRP team build support for it into their recovery. I wrote a guide for converting your data partition to F2FS here:
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/general/guide-convert-data-to-f2fs-twrp-2-8-t3073471

That same team took one final stab at a 6.0 rom for this tablet: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65968239&postcount=3719
    But I would call this definitely an unfinished product with a doubtful future.

CM12 I don't run CM roms - try it for yourself
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-cyanogenmod-12-0-t3006624

OmniROM by lj50036 who's on the ZOMBi team
    http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/development/rom-omnirom-tf700t-t3056438

There are quite a few more variants, check them out in the XDA Development forum and don't forget to make a nandroid before flashing anything new :D

AND IF YOU LIKE YOUR NEW ROM, SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION AND DONATE TO THE DEVELOPER!

Alternative methods to install TWRP

Edit February 2015
    In this section I originally explained how to flash TWRP to your device using apps like GooManager (currently not supported anyway), TWRP Manager or Flashify from the Play Store which do it right from your tablet. These apps "save you the trouble" of getting ADB and fastboot set up and working on your PC. These methods still exist and they do work sometimes (and if you have root), but I will not recommend or promote them any longer.
    Why?
    Because I'v read too many stories about these apps failing, even flashing to the wrong partition - you name it.

If you are not willing to invest the time to learn the basics about ADB and fastboot (google "adb fastboot xda tutorial") and install the necessary drivers on your PC, you should not be flashing anything to your tablet!
    GET ADB AND FASTBOOT WORKING!

I have spent quite a few hours helping users who got themselves into a situation where the only thing they could access on their tablet was recovery, but they did not know anything about adb/fastboot and did not set it up when the tablet was still working. To get it to work with a soft bricked tablet is much, much harder!!
    Sooner or later you will do something stupid (I have done it and so will you) and ADB/fastboot may save your bacon IF you had it working when you didn't really need it.
    HOW TO UPDATE YOUR BOOTLOADER

The last official Asus firmware update to JB 4.2.1 brought us to the 10.6.1.14.10 bootloader - and it will be the last one we ever get since there will not be any Asus firmware updates anymore.
    If you are on an older bootloader and want to run a KK or Lollipop ROM, you should update your bootloader to this version.

Determining which bootloader you currently have

From an "Off" state, boot the tablet with Volume Down and Power into the bootloader menu. Read the small script in the upper left. You'll see
    US_epad-10.6.1.14.10-20130801" or similar.

• US or WW, JP, CN is your SKU or region
    • 10.6.1.14.10 is your bootloader version
    • 20130801 is the build date (and immaterial in most cases).

Updating your bootloader

Still on stock with stock recovery:
    Just OTA update to the last Asus firmware or flash it manually.

Custom ROM with custom recovery
    Either:
    1. Flash Asus stock firmware in your custom recovery
    Download the official Asus firmware, unzip it once, flash that second zip in TWRP or CWM.
    The distinct disadvantage of this method is that you will loose your custom ROM and your custom recovery and you will have to reflash them, but it works to get you onto the latest bootloader - or the latest stock rom if you desire to return to stock​
    Or:
    2. Flash only the bootloader in recovery
    This is what I would recommend you do.
    Go here for a collection of flashable bootloader/recovery packages: http://xdaforums.com/transformer-tf700/general/firmware-10-6-14-10-twrp-t2867157
    If all you need is the latest US bootloader, go to post #3.
    The packages (bootloader + recovery) will replace not only your bootloader, but also your current recovery with whatever the TWRP version in the package is.To flash a KK or Lollipop ROM afterwards you need TWRP 2.8.+.
    If you choose a bootloader package with an older recovery, you need to flash the latest TWRP version after you flashed the above bootloader package. In between you have to reboot (do not skip this step!)​
    Hi again,
    I'm in need of big help now. The mail support ended with them suggesting I downgrade to ICS in order to use the unlock tool, but warning that I shouldn't do it and suggested that I take it to their service centre.
    I called the service centre to get a rough price and time for this as I wanted to wait for it to be done due to the long journey to get to the service centre. The chap I spoke to said they wouldn't touch it due to the risk of bricking it and couldn't offer any assistance due to it being out of warranty and hesitancy to go through the downgrade and unlock process.

I've tried to search for a thread on downgrading but couldn't find one. Is there a thread that will give me instructions on how to downgrade it ICS from JB? I'm presuming once this has been done, I'd be able to use the unlock tool!!

Thanks in advance!

Found it!! The thread on how to downgrade and the firmware http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1946456 will give this a go tonight and report back....

Well, that will fail. You cannot downgrade from JB to ICS and there is no need to!!!!
    Asus support is full of it and they do not know squat about this tablet. The people now on staff probably have been trained within the last couple of years and that means all they do is consult their help database. Which is woefully lacking anything useful.
    The service center is equally well informed. The chance of bricking the tablet by using the unlock tool is close to zero. They just don't know how to do it and do not touch anything modding/rooting related as a matter of principle. Which is understandable and good business practice..

Believe me! v7 unlock tool works just fine on the JB bootloader. The v8 does not install because Google identifies it as a threat and won't install it. But v7 works!
    IF Asus still has that piece of software active on their server that provides the unlock code once contacted by the unlock tool. If that is still working - who knows.... The staff at Asus definitely won't know.
    I told you earlier to check on the possibility for a mismatch between the tab's serial number and the mac address of the board. Have you done that?
    If you are sure that the mainboard was never changed on your tablet, the unlock tool should work IF that software is still on their server and IF they have your tablet entered in their database with the correct serial and mac address.
    So what are you left with?
    Check your setup: Factory reset, do not set up a Google account but connect to your wifi, allow unknown sources, install the v7 tool.
    Then it is: Persistence.
    Try and try and try and then try again.
    At different times of the day every day for a week until your patience runs out each time. I have seen cases where it magically worked all the sudden after dozens of failed attempts.
    Sorry, but that is the best advice you're going to find.
    Good luck
    I tried that too initially seeing it in the cromi kk rom. However it didn't do anything either when I cancelled the first one that hanged.

But funny, I rebooted and tried again using your guide 0x05b0 and it worked. So I'm not sure what happened there. I used a lower case "b" this second time.. lol

Just downloading cromi kk now, thanks!

Same thing happened to me. Fastboot recovery command did not return after over 10 minutes. I did Ctrl-C. Ran the command again and got the invalid argument error. Tried a couple times with same result. Unplugged and replugged USB cable (to same USB port). Ran the command again and it worked. When it worked, it took 11 seconds to flash recovery.

Also probably worth noting in the guide is that the Asus boot unlocker requires Google sign-in. If you have 2-step verification setup on your Google account, you need to use a one-time app password to sign-in.

Code:
    C:\adb>fastboot devices
    015d2c05683c0a50        fastboot

C:\adb>fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery recovery-kk-6047.img
    ^C

sending 'recovery' (6930 KB)...
    FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
    finished. total time: -0.000s

FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
    finished. total time: 0.001s

OKAY [  2.704s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [  8.026s]
    finished. total time: 10.731s