[Q] Samsung Galaxy S3 & ATT Dropped Calls

Search This thread

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
I received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) a couple of days ago and I'm on the AT&T Network here in the US. I have had my MicroSIM changed TWICE and still I'm getting dropped calls like crazy. I never had this problem with my SG2. Is anyone else with a S3 on the AT&T Network experiencing more than usual Dropped Calls and 3G Data loss (Web Pages not found, No Network Connection etc) - if so, did you fix the problem and HOW??? I have reset my APN (Cingular 410 / wap.cingular) to default so many times, it's ridiculous - any help is most appreciated

UPDATE:
I just installed the MicroSIM Card I bought on Amazon.com (SKU 73054) and removed the AT&T Furnished iPAD MicroSIM Card (SKU 72288) - the AT&T Tech admitted they gave me the wrong MicroSIM Card - TWICE. Proud to say that I am now getting 3 to 4 Signal Bars in My Basement where I was hardly getting 1 bar before. I highly recommend purchasing the 73054 Card from only ABE-123 on Amazon.com (all others are cut cards) to anyone that may be having Signal Issues. Thank You EVERYBODY for all your help and suggestions

This is where I bought it from: http://www.amazon.com/AT-T-Micro-SIM-Card/dp/B003YTSXYO

Last edited:

Baldilocks

May 31, 2010
Dover, DE
I received my new Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300) a couple of days ago and I'm on the AT&T Network here in the US. I have had my MicroSIM changed TWICE and still I'm getting dropped calls like crazy. I never had this problem with my SG2. Is anyone else with a S3 on the AT&T Network experiencing more than usual Dropped Calls and 3G Data loss (Web Pages not found, No Network Connection etc) - if so, did you fix the problem and HOW??? I have reset my APN (Cingular 410 / wap.cingular) to default so many times, it's ridiculous - any help is most appreciated

Mine is working perfectly. Are you sure you just don't have a phone with a defective radio??

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
You know, I along with other users have noticed that the radio is not as strong as the... HTC One X...

But the HTC One X was made specifically for ATT wher ehte International version is not. I don't know why reception isn't as good but I do see my phone sometimes changing between 3G, H and H+. The signal is pretty weak.

Wintrmte

Jan 4, 2012
You know, I along with other users have noticed that the radio is not as strong as the... HTC One X...

Not to start an argument but having had the Lumia 900 and the One X, where I live, I found that the One X had a pretty poor radio when it came to reception.

The 1.85 update did help a bit, but the difference is noticeable when comparing it to the Lumia.

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Mine is working perfectly. Are you sure you just don't have a phone with a defective radio??

I don't know how to check if I have a bad radio - I'm about a quarter of a mile from a cell tower and I only have a couple of Signal Bars - but when I go to the AT&T Store, I get 4 bars but they probably have boosters in their store - I'm going back to AT&T tomorrow and plead my case, I have no idea what they will try next

Wintrmte

Jan 4, 2012
Just a suggestion, but is it possible to reflash the image? Maybe a that would help?

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Just a suggestion, but is it possible to reflash the image? Maybe a that would help?

Reflashing XXALE8 is tempting but I already rooted the phone and setup all my apps, I think I'll hold off on that till I get back from AT&T tomorrow but you make a very good point - i'm wondering if there is a later v4.0.4 firmware available for this UK Phone that might address the radio in this S3

Baldilocks

May 31, 2010
Dover, DE
If I switch to EDGE, I actually pick up an additional Signal Strength Bar - I sure hope I don't have a bad radio, I have no idea on how to check that...

That's not uncommon. A lot of the GSM for AT&T is on 850 and penetrates buildings better whereas 3G in most places is on 1900 Mhz.

When I switch between them in the house I always get better reception with 2G rather than 3G.

Reactions: tomtorre

Wirelessgirl

Dec 17, 2008
Toronto
If I switch to EDGE, I actually pick up an additional Signal Strength Bar - I sure hope I don't have a bad radio, I have no idea on how to check that...

Did you call AT&T and see if there's a 3G issue in your area? Do you still have your S2? I'm curious if you put your sim in the S2 if your signal will be the same or better.

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Did you call AT&T and see if there's a 3G issue in your area? Do you still have your S2? I'm curious if you put your sim in the S2 if your signal will be the same or better.

Unfortunately I sold my SG2 on eBay to offset the cost of this S3 - I purchased 3 MicroSIMs and 1 is a Genuine 3G AT&T MicroSIM from Amazon with a SKU of 73054 while the AT&T Store MicroSIM are used for the iPad with a SKU of 72288. I just wish I knew if this is a MicroSIM Problem or an APN Problem...:confused:

I've been using it on AT&T without any issues.
My today looked like this:

18764616-6672-84f4.jpg

18764616-667e-e579.jpg

Sent from Rooted debloated stock Galaxy S3 OG I9300

Last edited:

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Thank You ALL - Problem Solved...

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I just installed the MicroSIM Card I bought on Amazon.com (SKU 73054) and removed the AT&T Furnished iPAD MicroSIM Card (SKU 72288) - the AT&T Tech admitted they gave me the wrong MicroSIM Card - TWICE. Proud to say that I am now getting 3 to 4 Signal Bars in My Basement where I was hardly getting 1 bar before. I highly recommend purchasing the 73054 Card from only ABE-123 on Amazon.com (all others are cut cards) to anyone that may be having Signal Issues. Thank You EVERYBODY for all your help and suggestions :D

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I just installed the MicroSIM Card I bought on Amazon.com (SKU 73054) and removed the AT&T Furnished iPAD MicroSIM Card (SKU 72288) - the AT&T Tech admitted they gave me the wrong MicroSIM Card - TWICE. Proud to say that I am now getting 3 to 4 Signal Bars in My Basement where I was hardly getting 1 bar before. I highly recommend purchasing the 73054 Card from only ABE-123 on Amazon.com (all others are cut cards) to anyone that may be having Signal Issues. Thank You EVERYBODY for all your help and suggestions :D

you may want to update op with this information and if you don't mind I'll include this thread in my thread for AT&T.

Wintrmte

Jan 4, 2012
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Interesting.. How exactly does that work if you buy a MicroSIM off Amazon? Do you take it into the AT&T store and have them activate it or do it online?

The reason I'm asking is my SGS3 is coming tomorrow and given my luck with reception issues with the One X, I'm trying to explore all my options if I have problems. :S

Wirelessgirl

Dec 17, 2008
Toronto
I'm glad it was just a microsim card error and not a phone issue. I have to change my sim card every year because I start getting bad signal by that time. I swear the sim card manufacturer's put an expiration date on these sim cards so we have to buy a new one every year. At least in my case I do.

tomtorre

Jul 24, 2011
New York
Interesting.. How exactly does that work if you buy a MicroSIM off Amazon? Do you take it into the AT&T store and have them activate it or do it online?

The reason I'm asking is my SGS3 is coming tomorrow and given my luck with reception issues with the One X, I'm trying to explore all my options if I have problems. :S

You can activate you MicroSIM ONLINE with AT&T (800-331-0500) and just tell them you want to activate you new MicroSIM Card and give them the 20 digit Numeric ICCID Number that is on the MicroSIM Card - it's really easy once you have the correct MicroSIM - Good Luck with your S3 - I Love Mine NOW ;)

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
Does anyone else device jump back and forth from 3G, H and H+?

I wonder the same thing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROBLEM SOLVED:

you may want to update op with this information and if you don't mind I'll include this thread in my thread for AT&T.

That's not uncommon. A lot of the GSM for AT&T is on 850 and penetrates buildings better whereas 3G in most places is on 1900 Mhz.

When I switch between them in the house I always get better reception with 2G rather than 3G.