From XDA and the Moderators What this Is

Search This thread

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here is Our new forum.

XDA, the moderators and the powers that be.... have been wrestling with trying to differentiate the Difference between the Code-writing Development and the Quasi-developers that use rom cooking tools or are just porting roms.

To that end we will be going through the development threads in the next couple of weeks and moving the appropriate threads that meet the original code requirement to be placed in this new forum.

Please bear in mind that this is a "Work in Progress" and will take a bit of time to hone and perfect what goes where.

Also, please understand that this does not mean that some developers are on some special pedestal. That is not the case.

I will use an analogy to explain:

A music composer writes an original piece of music. The music composition may be awesome... but his performance of it, may not.
Such often is the case in developers..... often someone comes up with a awesome idea or new code application, but it often ends up being perfected by the use of others putting their creative spin on it.
That is the beauty of The Android Platform and ....XDA provides a fertile field for all to share ideas and collectively improve our experience.

Additionally, we need to provide and track the proper credit to the original code writing Developer and better comply with the GPL requirements of Android......

I hope this clarifys the potential questions

Thanks from the Moderators

~~~ (oka1)~~~

Last edited:

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
So in layman's terms the original development forum will be for devs to post source built roms like aosp, aokp, aocp, cm9, PA, ext. while the android development will be for custom built roms based of stock firmware or leaks of said firmware, built thru a kitchen like DSIXDA's kitchen for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Essentially ......... yes, TBH I need to make sure I have all the requirements perfectly clear in my mind..... Either way this is to make sure the Original code writing participants get the credit they deserve, as well as, to help keep the GPL requirements in Order.

So in layman's terms the original development forum will be for devs to post source built roms like aosp, aokp, aocp, cm9, PA, ext. while the android development will be for custom built roms based of stock firmware or leaks of said firmware, built thru a kitchen like DSIXDA's kitchen for example.

pTeronaut

May 28, 2012
Lafayette, IN
Has this new sub forum brought about a relaxation of the post count requirement of the pre-existing development forum?

I have noticed a post by a member with a count of '2' in the AOKP Milestone 6 thread.

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
Essentially ......... yes, TBH I need to make sure I have all the requirements perfectly clear in my mind..... Either way this is to make sure the Original code writing participants get the credit they deserve, as well as, to help keep the GPL requirements in Order.

Sounds like a good concept , I'm sure it will help in organizing the development forums.

slowpc

Sep 29, 2010
W.S -=- NC
Read that these new sub-topics were coming down the pipe and this should be nice to get some good clean look to the area.

D

Deleted member 2842059

I'm generally supportive of the move but I hope it works out. It seems like a HECK of a lot of work to sift throughout all these forums and separate everything and keep on top of it. Here's to a smooth transition.

bsw11

Aug 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
alphabase.com
This might lead to more confusion than what it is worth. I would add some categories to the post and then the ability to just filter the categories on the Topics list screen.

Categories like Based On: Original, CM9, KANG, Other.

You could do the same in the other Sub Forums as well.

General:
Type: Future, Complaint, Suggestions etc.

Apps:
Type: Business, Games, Personal, Utilities

And if you REALLY want to make the forum more useful add reply to a post and organize replies under the posts they were made to.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Follows are my personal opinions on the Original/Non-Original split and don't represent anyone else ;)

This Forum is meant for the newest/latest roms .....e.g. AOSP, CM, or AOKP source builds. Kernels from factory source also can be posted here.

I'm good to here.

If you are porting a rom, it belongs in the normal development section, not here.

And here is good.

Stock roms should also be placed here The ones from Samsung themselves as in new versions, new updated versions can go here as well

Here.... What?? Why in the world would a stock rom, be it bone-stock or modified stock, or even modified (a pre-built) "Original" ROM, be here? IMO the distinction should be pretty simple:

If you compiled the ROM or Kernel or BOTH, it goes in the Original Android Development forum. In my opinion, compiled ROM but binary kernel also fits in the Original, so basically Compiled ROM == Original. If you modified a BINARY ROM, it should go in the old Android Development forum.

Of course I mean zero disrespect to any ROM cooks here. Someone could spend minimal time building a CM9 ROM or TONS of time modifying a stock ROM.

Not ones you jacked, cooked or modified..... those go in the other regular development section.

Agreed.

Also, Roms an Kernels that bring forth something new in coding ideas or revolutionary changes that other roms do not have should also be posted here...

Agreed.

Last edited:

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
First off this is not meant at anythign else then me understanding and I wish to express it makes no difference to me where my roms end up .

I would also like to politely suggest to anyone who has better ideas about how XDA should be handled to contact the admins (not the mods) via the proper chanels , and if you have some time to invest in helping make XDA a better place for all of us please by all means , but do not make the moderators job any harder remember nobody is paid to do this and they are doing a fair job imo..

so . my question is

My aokp is 100% compiled form source (even the kernel ) its not a port so it belongs here. no brainer right ?

My TW rom (the hybrid ) is THE ONLY Samsung based (TW) rom that has he tablet mod , no other TW roms in all XDA forum (in the world ?) allows the usage of both the tablet and the phone .this one belongs here as well I guess ?

As for king kang (built from AOKP source) introduces a first on XDA the PAD mods mixed with AOKP . this rom has already been ported in at least 2 other devices . true enough this rom eventho build form source is a kang so this one in my book is sort of grey area since mods were added/ported to the rom at the same time making it unique enough for other devices to port it.

Brings me to my next question , anyone compiling a CM nightlie can post in here ? or where does it start / stop

I see other roms by other devs that probably deserve to be here aswell ( IMO ), so I suppose you have not started to move them .

As I said merely asking questions here not rushing anyone just trying to understand

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
Why bothered with the added tasks of sorting when ALL other device/forum have only ONE development forum ?? ( and it works for so many years !!!)

"why fix when it's not broken" ?

"why reinvent the wheel" ?

Does this mean ALL other devices forum will need this sorting ?? if not, then that should tells you that this is UN-neccessary !

You're open up a new can of worms that will cause disagreements down the road as to who thinks what belongs where...etc.

Just my opinion :)

Last edited:

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
Here is Our new forum.

XDA, the moderators and the powers that be.... have been wrestling with trying to differentiate the Difference between the Code-writing Development and the Quasi-developers that use rom cooking tools or are just porting roms.

To that end we will be going through the development threads in the next couple of weeks and moving the appropriate threads that meet the original code requirement to be placed in this new forum.

Please bear in mind that this is a "Work in Progress" and will take a bit of time to hone and perfect what goes where.

Also, please understand that this does not mean that some developers are on some special pedestal. That is not the case.

A music composer writes an original piece of music. The music composition may be awesome... but his performance of it, may not.
Such often is the case in developers..... often someone comes up with a awesome idea or new code application, but it often ends up being perfected by the use of others putting their creative spin on it.
That is the beauty of The Android Platform and ....XDA provides a fertile field for all to share ideas and collectively improve our experience.

Additionally, we need to provide and track the proper credit to the original code writing Developer and better comply with the GPL requirements of Android......

~~~ (oka1)~~~

You guys are aware that this screwed up the app, right? Which sucks, because it's a far superior way to get apps on-device, and a far superior experience-- or at least, it was.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Here is Our new forum.

~~~ (oka1)~~~

Follows are my personal opinions on the Original/Non-Original split and don't represent anyone else ;)

I'm good to here.

And here is good.

Here.... What?? Why in the world would a stock rom, be it bone-stock or modified stock, or even modified (a pre-built) "Original" ROM, be here? IMO the distinction should be pretty simple:

If you compiled the ROM or Kernel or BOTH, it goes in the Original Android Development forum. In my opinion, compiled ROM but binary kernel also fits in the Original, so basically Compiled ROM == Original. If you modified a BINARY ROM, it should go in the old Android Development forum.

Of course I mean zero disrespect to any ROM cooks here. Someone could spend minimal time building a CM9 ROM or TONS of time modifying a stock ROM.

Agreed.

Agreed.

If you take someone else's stuff (I.E. compiled other's code) it's not original. Unless you modify it yourself, it's not original (hence the definition).

Nonetheless, they just made monitoring the development section twice as painful.

Last edited:

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
SMH
picture.php

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
If you take someone else's stuff (I.E. compiled other's code) it's not original. Unless you modify it yourself, it's not original (hence the definition).

Nonetheless, they just made monitoring the development section twice as painful.

that doesnt make much sense (not saying you dont) , but take aokp fo example is it built for one device only ? same for cm9 . I guess it woudl be fair to say that only 'official' release shoudl be here , but agina thisis what i dotn understand , Paranoid andorid in the SGS II forum is not considered an 'original development rom ' so its a bit confusing as its the original dev postign it ... not to mention they added there own code ot it .

seee my previous post , clearly the admins are done with the miantenance of the 2 sections so what goes here ... ?

my post has never been answered .

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
that doesnt make much sense (not saying you dont) , but take aokp fo example is it built for one device only ? same for cm9 . I guess it woudl be fair to say that only 'official' release shoudl be here , but agina thisis what i dotn understand , Paranoid andorid in the SGS II forum is not considered an 'original development rom ' so its a bit confusing as its the original dev postign it ... not to mention they added there own code ot it .

seee my previous post , clearly the admins are done with the miantenance of the 2 sections so what goes here ... ?

If you didn't make or modify what's being installed....it's not original. The only thing you've done, is to do a-- hypothetically speaking-- translation. If you wrote the book, it's original.

There are two ways to look at this: For instance, if Paranoid Android's makes a ROM, and does something unique, it goes in Original. No matter which device it's for, if Paranoid Android did it, it's original, since he made it. This is the "Original Development" aspect of it. The "Galaxy Note Original Development" aspect of it translate to-- if Bumpaloo Makerfists made a ROM (called Bungalow Mowtower) for the Galaxy Note, it'd belong in Original...but if he then brought it to another device, it wouldn't be original? Because it was original to the Galaxy Note.

The second makes absolutely no sense at all...i can't even fathom that this would be a reality. The first makes sense. You wrote the book? Original.

If you took the "book", and then brought it to a country where it's never been before, it doesn't make you the author. Therefore it's not an Original. It's more like a cliff-notes--where the notes are by so-and-so, and the author of the book is Bumpaloo Makerfists. (But we have a credit system, which is why this is absolutely. unnecessary.

This provides zero additional value, at a painful cost-- extra work for the users....all users; developers and consumers alike. Which is proven by the fact that anyone at all has taken the time to comment in this thread, and that anyone has read this. If it wasn't obvious to everyone where the particular piece of work belongs, others will have no idea where to look for it. You guys have failed. This is ultimately bad for developers, bad for users, and bad for XDA...while you might get more page views because of people clicking around, aimlessly looking for something, or trying to monitor something, the fluff slaughters the perceived value of the site.

I absolutely hate the change. I see that XDA is trying to give people who go above and above and beyond and beyond their own space, and maybe even a few extra brownie points, but this is a joke. The whole concept.

XDA is the first site i've seen to dedicate entire sections to certain devices, and navigation has been key to it's success. What i don't see, is how this is good for the users at all.

Just like Dag and Others, some have taken work from multiple people, doing far more work than the sum of it's parts, and sometimes more than the other developers, creating something with more value than the sum of its parts. The "original" distinction bears no added value, especially if nobody actually knows what original is...(something the community gets to decide. I think, in fact, it does the opposite. It denegrates the work of others, discounting the effort-- for if it's easy to do, most developers will do it. Sometimes it takes a guy who absolutely needs CM on his device, now, to get something great going. For instance, with our device, as soon as someone took the time to get things moving a bit, there were 3-4 ROMs up based on CM9 within 2 weeks.

Enough from me.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Here is Our new forum.

~~~ (oka1)~~~

I thought i might add....this isn't your software XDA!!! You don't comply with the GPL! WE DO. You can force us to take things down, but you can't give credit for someone...have your moderators flame away, and flame people in public...but don't claim our work--for that's far worse than the actual flaming.

And i think the way this is worded is funny, I guess XDA is no longer a collection of techies and developers. I guess it's an entity that owns our work!

I don't intend for this to be confrontational...just a wake up call. Seriously, please consider this. I harbor no hate here--just a ton of love. And sadness at the direction it's heading.

Last edited:
Reactions: input80

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is Our new forum.

~~~ (oka1)~~~

If you didn't make or modify what's being installed....it's not original. The only thing you've done, is to do a-- hypothetically speaking-- translation. If you wrote the book, it's original.

There are two ways to look at this: For instance, if Paranoid Android's makes a ROM, and does something unique, it goes in Original. No matter which device it's for, if Paranoid Android did it, it's original, since he made it. This is the "Original Development" aspect of it. The "Galaxy Note Original Development" aspect of it translate to-- if Bumpaloo Makerfists made a ROM (called Bungalow Mowtower) for the Galaxy Note, it'd belong in Original...but if he then brought it to another device, it wouldn't be original? Because it was original to the Galaxy Note.

The second makes absolutely no sense at all...i can't even fathom that this would be a reality. The first makes sense. You wrote the book? Original.

If you took the "book", and then brought it to a country where it's never been before, it doesn't make you the author. Therefore it's not an Original. It's more like a cliff-notes--where the notes are by so-and-so, and the author of the book is Bumpaloo Makerfists. (But we have a credit system, which is why this is absolutely. unnecessary.

This provides zero additional value, at a painful cost-- extra work for the users....all users; developers and consumers alike. Which is proven by the fact that anyone at all has taken the time to comment in this thread, and that anyone has read this. If it wasn't obvious to everyone where the particular piece of work belongs, others will have no idea where to look for it. You guys have failed. This is ultimately bad for developers, bad for users, and bad for XDA...while you might get more page views because of people clicking around, aimlessly looking for something, or trying to monitor something, the fluff slaughters the perceived value of the site.

I absolutely hate the change. I see that XDA is trying to give people who go above and above and beyond and beyond their own space, and maybe even a few extra brownie points, but this is a joke. The whole concept.

XDA is the first site i've seen to dedicate entire sections to certain devices, and navigation has been key to it's success. What i don't see, is how this is good for the users at all.

Just like Dag and Others, some have taken work from multiple people, doing far more work than the sum of it's parts, and sometimes more than the other developers, creating something with more value than the sum of its parts. The "original" distinction bears no added value, especially if nobody actually knows what original is...(something the community gets to decide. I think, in fact, it does the opposite. It denegrates the work of others, discounting the effort-- for if it's easy to do, most developers will do it. Sometimes it takes a guy who absolutely needs CM on his device, now, to get something great going. For instance, with our device, as soon as someone took the time to get things moving a bit, there were 3-4 ROMs up based on CM9 within 2 weeks.

Enough from me.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Here is Our new forum.

~~~ (oka1)~~~

I thought i might add....this isn't your software XDA!!! You don't comply with the GPL! WE DO. You can force us to take things down, but you can't give credit for someone...have your moderators flame away, and flame people in public...but don't claim our work--for that's far worse than the actual flaming.

And i think the way this is worded is funny, I guess XDA is no longer a collection of techies and developers. I guess it's an entity that owns our work!

I don't intend for this to be confrontational...just a wake up call. Seriously, please consider this. I harbor no hate here--just a ton of love. And sadness at the direction it's heading.