[APP][2.2+] ~=~ Lumos v1.3.1 ~=~ (Automatic Brightness Manager)

Search This thread

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
lumos_logo_96.png

More control.
More battery.
More comfort.

Lumos is fully customizable automatic backlight level manager. We focus on minimal CPU usage and maximum battery saving while maintaining great backlight change smoothness and responsiveness.

Lumos, holding true to its legacy, combines the best from all available auto-backlight solutions in a simple to use package and adds many extras for your tweaking needs.

Features:
- extremely low CPU usage
- NO battery or CPU overhead (drain) unless you actively use your device's display
- simple yet powerful configuration GUI with easy step-by-step calibration process
- many options that let you change every aspect of how your backlight works
- program exceptions to set different backlight for any application
- relative excaptions allow you to amplify/attenuate the automatic backlight for specific applications
- custom backlight profiles
- extensive in-app context help
- great customer support with an issue/request tracking system
- button and keyboard backlight support, including smooth backlight if rooted and supported by HW

Requirements:
- android 2.2 or newer
- a light sensor
- managable display brightness (in display options)
- you may need root access to control button/keyboard lights

Compatibility:
- pretty much every HTC device out there
- most Samsung devices
- possibly others if manufacturer adheres to android driver model

If you have any problems, comments or suggestions, please leave a message here or PM (with proper subject name) or in the bug tracker at http://elite-force.eu

Screenshots:
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

YouTube presentation:

Get it here:
Lumos

Lumos. The smart auto-backlight manager your battery will thank you for.

~ NIKER

Last edited:

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Changelog:

v1.31:
- added smooth button mode support for some HTC One series kernels
- added ability to force buttons on/off as exception

v1.3:
- fixed buttons sometimes staying on when sleeping in root mode
- fixed crash when canceling exception
- added Czech translation
- marked as compatible with Android 2.2
- sample queue is wiped on wakeup for quicker re-adjustment to new light level
- increased reliability of root commands
- experimental more reliable button off on sleep (root modes)

v1.2:
MAJOR CORE CHANGES, CLEAN REINSTALL RECOMMENDED
- reworked sample queue and calculations to allow for intermediate values, resulting in more smoothness in precise mode
- decoupled sample queue and update queue length (update is now performed after every sample if needed)
- above results in lower average latency and allows for longer sample intervals (less CPU usage, more smoothness)
- above also makes larger sample queues viable as means to smoothen out sensor fluctuations
- added ability to apply user min/max as dynamic range for all calculations (compresses CalBrightness into user range instead of capping)
- Lumos will try to use root access to bulletproof itself if you disable ongoing notification icon
- fixed crash after increasing sample queue size
- tweaked the graphs of built-in profiles to better accommodate dynamic range compression
- added backlight fix for HTC One series phones to prevent button flickering (you need to switch the mode manually)
- allowed broader range for sensor sampling rate and sample queue
- showing average latency instead of worst case in settings to get more realistic numbers
- fixed bugs in relative exceptions
- installed app list is now sorted by name
- other minor bugfixes
! your sampling rates, queue size and animation length settings will be reset after update
! new option Compress Dynamic Range will default to ON

Last edited:

MMoodyB

Jul 22, 2011
Motherwell
Just purchased this nik3r to say thanks for your work on the Elite kernel for the One X+.

I tend to use 50%, 65% or 85% brightness depending on the lighting, so this'll allow me to finetune the screen backlight levels to my liking & hopefully save a bit of battery in the process.

One small issue on AOKP 4.1.2 for the One X+ though is that the button backlight doesn't ramp up & down along with the screen brightness.

I was under the impression that it is mean to?

Or is this feature only supported under Sense roms on the One X+?

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
For One X+ you need to use root mode to get reliable on/off and stock-based ROMs don't support smooth levels, unfortunatelly.
Maybe AOSP ROMs will add the support, because I doubt it is a hardware limitation but rather driver issue.

reaper90

May 11, 2011
some feedback from me:

this app is awesome! it does exactly what it should and the calibration process makes it very simple to set it up to the values i prefer for autobrightness. there's no need anymore to create/flash mods to reduce autobrightness settings.

i also have some suggestions for future versions:
some more explanations on settings (at least for the core section), profiles and app exceptions since not everything there is self explanatory.

but as this does not affect basic functionality of this app, i'd give 5 stars for this one. i recommend it to everyone who wants to improve battery life by easily setting his own values for brightness levels!

kelleci

Aug 29, 2009
Just purchased this app.I have never buy an app from google play before, it is my first time :eek:
Also i want to say thanks for eilite kernel for my hox+ I really appreciate your work nik3r.
Best regards.

nealkoy

Nov 9, 2012
Abu Dhabi
Let me just say based on my experience that Lumos app in terms of battery and functionality is a very great app! It does exactly what I expect from an quality Automatic brightness manager. Did I mention that Lumos supports apps exception too? Just Perfect!

Developer support is also superb! I've been using Lux since it was free and also purchased the paid app but uninstalled it when Lumos came out and never looked back again.

:good::good::good:

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
Re: [APP][2.2+] ~=~ Lumos v1.2 ~=~ (Automatic Brightness Manager)

I tried to get this app but Google play said it was not compatible.

Any idea why my HTC legend would be an incompatible device?
Edit: It's got version 2.2 & rooted

Sent from my HTC Legend using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
New version

New version of Lumos v1.3.1 will appear on the Play Store shortly.

It now fully supports smooth button backlight management on some newer One X and X+ custom kernels like EliteKernel and Blade kernel.

Also you can for example set the buttons backlight to be off for your video player using an exception.

Enjoy :)

nagendraps

Sep 23, 2012
Bangalore
Brilliant Application, actually this is one is truly worked for me. I absolutely love this awesome app.
One small request though, I do live in tropical country at times when I take out mobile in direct sunlight the app takes some time to auto adjust the brightness, It is is important for me to see caller or message immediately, can this speed-ed up ? or how about when phone is turned on in direct sunlight the screen turns to max brightness then auto adjusting to optimum value so that I can see the calls/messages from.

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
The thing is, once the call window appears, no app can change brightness until the call ends (at least on htc). The control is returned to android and there is no workaround i know of. I'll take a second look later in case something changed in 4.2.

If you turn the display on, the sensor sample queue is wiped so the change should be almost immediate. But the call turns it on in your pocket and then returns control to android.

Maybe you could try to add an exception for the phone app and force the display high, but I don't think that will work either.

And thanks for the review :)

Sent from my X+ powered by ARHD & EliteKernel

Reactions: nagendraps

nagendraps

Sep 23, 2012
Bangalore
The thing is, once the call window appears, no app can change brightness until the call ends (at least on htc). The control is returned to android and there is no workaround i know of. I'll take a second look later in case something changed in 4.2.

If you turn the display on, the sensor sample queue is wiped so the change should be almost immediate. But the call turns it on in your pocket and then returns control to android.

Maybe you could try to add an exception for the phone app and force the display high, but I don't think that will work either.

Thank you nik3r for detailed reply. I do understand now. Anyway I don't mind it as this app really works well. I think many are not aware of this app and how about releasing trial version on Google Play. It is just a suggestion though, thanks for your time!

kokabunga

Nov 2, 2009
Thank you nik3r for detailed reply. I do understand now. Anyway I don't mind it as this app really works well. I think many are not aware of this app and how about releasing trial version on Google Play. It is just a suggestion though, thanks for your time!

yes
given the price range, atrial version would be apprciated

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer TF101 avec Tapatalk

Reactions: nagendraps

nagendraps

Sep 23, 2012
Bangalore
Still working great and my sole auto brightness app. nik3r one request, can you make app launch quicker in 4.2.2.
It usually takes long time to open in 4.2.2 (Vanilla RootBox ROM)

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lumos_logo_96.png

More control.
    More battery.
    More comfort.

Lumos is fully customizable automatic backlight level manager. We focus on minimal CPU usage and maximum battery saving while maintaining great backlight change smoothness and responsiveness.

Lumos, holding true to its legacy, combines the best from all available auto-backlight solutions in a simple to use package and adds many extras for your tweaking needs.

Features:
    - extremely low CPU usage
    - NO battery or CPU overhead (drain) unless you actively use your device's display
    - simple yet powerful configuration GUI with easy step-by-step calibration process
    - many options that let you change every aspect of how your backlight works
    - program exceptions to set different backlight for any application
    - relative excaptions allow you to amplify/attenuate the automatic backlight for specific applications
    - custom backlight profiles
    - extensive in-app context help
    - great customer support with an issue/request tracking system
    - button and keyboard backlight support, including smooth backlight if rooted and supported by HW

Requirements:
    - android 2.2 or newer
    - a light sensor
    - managable display brightness (in display options)
    - you may need root access to control button/keyboard lights

Compatibility:
    - pretty much every HTC device out there
    - most Samsung devices
    - possibly others if manufacturer adheres to android driver model

If you have any problems, comments or suggestions, please leave a message here or PM (with proper subject name) or in the bug tracker at http://elite-force.eu

Screenshots:
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg

YouTube presentation:

Get it here:
    Lumos

Lumos. The smart auto-backlight manager your battery will thank you for.

~ NIKER
    New version

New version of Lumos v1.3.1 will appear on the Play Store shortly.

It now fully supports smooth button backlight management on some newer One X and X+ custom kernels like EliteKernel and Blade kernel.

Also you can for example set the buttons backlight to be off for your video player using an exception.

Enjoy :)
    New version

New version of Lumos v1.2
    is released and will appear on the Play Store shortly.

In the meantime I added a changelog to the second post and it is pretty extensive :)

Hope you enjoy the update as much as I enjoyed making it!

~ NIKER
    Thanks

Thanks
    this good software