Display Problem: it's flickering...HELP!!!

Search This thread

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
Hi all,
I think my display has a problem of flickering: I noticed it going to "system status" window by clicking on battery, or signal icon. Here you have a gray stripped background that on my display seems to be unstable...something like flashing. I have the same impression if I look at the headers stripes of the tabs, where you find, "People", "Messages" etc...
The strange thing is that what ever I see, pictures, different windows, they all seems to be very stable, no flashing...flickering...problem.
Now I ask to myself, could it be an optical effect due to the pattern of that specific background?
I make the same answer to you all...and did somone notice the same problem?
Please answer me becouse I should have to replace it if I really have this trouble...
THX so much!

Last edited:

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
Hi all,
I think my display has a problem of flickering: I noticed it going to "system status" window by clicking on battery, or signal icon. Here you have a gray stripped background that on my display seems to be unstable...something like flashing. I have the same impression if I look at the headers stripes of the tabs, where you find, "People", "Messages" etc...
The strange thing is that what ever I see, pictures, different windows, they all seems to be very stable, no flashing...flickering...problem.
Now I ask to myself, could it be an optical effect due to the pattern of that specific background?
Please ask me becouse I should have to replace it if I really have this trouble...

Did you try a Clear Storage followed by a Hard Reset?

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
@tnyynt
Thank you for your replay.
Other people suggested it to me. I've tried it right now and it had no effect, I'm still having the same problem.
BTW: Clear Storage performs by itself a HardReset after typing 1234...am I right?
:(

Last edited:

evilskanker

Apr 6, 2008
I too am noticing this flickering on the top bar. I couldn't work it out. No idea what it is, but quite glad I'm not the only one with it. No idea if it is an illusion or a fault though. Can anyone else confirm?

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
@tnyynt
Thank you for your replay.
Other people suggested it to me. I've tried it right now and it had no effect, I'm still having the same problem.
BTW: Clear Storage performs by itself a HardReset after typing 1234...am I right?
:(

Yes, you are right, but it's a different one than the normal Hard Reset.

nimnull

May 23, 2007
Try to change brightness of the backlight, for example turn it off and check then.

Raziel1

Oct 15, 2008
Hi all,
Please answer me becouse I should have to replace it if I really have this trouble...
THX so much!

thats normal. it has something to do with the refreshrate. that occours on every phone and pc monitor and so on. it always depends on what you are viewing at the momeent and often occurs when there are many very thin lines like at the top of the HD.

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
@tnyynt
Do you mean I should perform a normal Hard Reset? How can I do it...I still haven't discover how to do it...
@Raziel1
It would be normal if everyone could see it on their HD, but it seems that only some terminals have this problem...Do you mean so that my HD has no problem?
THX to all!

Marinese

Mar 6, 2007
thats normal. it has something to do with the refreshrate. that occours on every phone and pc monitor and so on. it always depends on what you are viewing at the momeent and often occurs when there are many very thin lines like at the top of the HD.

A LCD display shouldnt flicker. It's either a hardware or software problem. Old CRT-monitors and TVs flickered because they "painted" the picture from top to bottom, and if they didnt do it fast enough it was perceived as flickering. LCD displays uses a dot matrix and shouldnt flicker regardless refreshrate.

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
A LCD display shouldnt flicker. It's either a hardware or software problem. Old CRT-monitors and TVs flickered because they "painted" the picture from top to bottom, and if they didnt do it fast enough it was perceived as flickering. LCD displays uses a dot matrix and shouldnt flicker regardless refreshrate.
Do you mean that I'm calling my display problem improperly or that it really can be a problem of this kind of display and so it means it is broken?

Raziel1

Oct 15, 2008
but this flickering only occures when there are certain things on the screen like the thin lines of top of the home screen. its not the screen itself which is flickering. maybe it has something to do with vision and not with a technical aspect. the same thing can be seen on every screen i ever looked at. you can try it out, by taking a picture of a pc monitor at close range with high resolution. when you look at it and scroll around with zoom, it will often flicker like hell because of all the details and maybe downscaling or whatever

Last edited:

Marinese

Mar 6, 2007
Do you mean that I'm calling my display problem improperly or that it really can be a problem of this kind of display and so it means it is broken?

I havent seen the problem myself so it's hard to tell. You can often see by looking at it if its a software or hardware problem. If it's a software problem its just a certain part, for example a window titlebar, that flickers. This is usually caused by bad programming, the programmer has told the program to repaint with a certain interval even if there is no change. If it's a hardware problem the flickering usually isnt constrained to parts of the window, for example it doesnt follow the titlebar. Instead its usually diffuse parts of the screen that flickers.

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
@Marinese
Uhm...I'm figuring out how to test it...If I look at a picture, I can't notice the problem, and it seems to be localized on upper bars and on some particular windows I told before. If I could flash it with another ROM...but it's not HardSPL yet and I would keep it in warrenty untill my provider/seller TIM tell me what to do with it. So it could be a ROM problem too?
It would be usefull to have two of them placed side by side
and see the differences...

Last edited:

evilskanker

Apr 6, 2008
For me it seems to happen when the brightness is set to high, or I am in a well lit room with auto brightness enabled. With the brightness reduced I see no flickering...

Does that give any clue as to whether it is hardware or software? It seems to be dark colours that flicker.

Last edited:

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
@evilskanker
Uhm perhaps if you reduce brightness, you reduce the visibility of the problem as well...
I don't know about the dark colours...but I took a black picture and it doesn't flicker...

atomikpt

Oct 20, 2007
Porto
I have that exact same issue..

Altought I only notice it, on the upper horizontal lines on the RIGHT in TouchFlo3D.

What is the reason for that? And how to solve it?

Thanks.

arisg

Jan 4, 2006
Athens
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but what I have is quick fluctuation in the brightness level without changes in the ambient lighting. You could call it flickering, although I would say it's not as fast as a flicker in my case. It seems to me it has something to do with the light sensor and its sensitivity. I would like to think that a ROM update will sort it, but we will have to wait and see. I'm not doing anything about yet.

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
@atomikpt
It's the same of mine and also try to go to "system status" window by clicking on battery, or signal icon and take look of what it happens.
@arisg
Nothing to do with your case. Consider that I desabled the light sensor and I'm using brightness to its maximum level.